HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IIHF World Juniors

Old
01-04-2013, 10:23 PM
ottsabrefan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I think I read somewhere that the big brawl between Canada/Russia in the late 80s put the tournament on the map in Canada, and then it just took off.
I don't remember that one as I was too young (I don't say that very often these days ). But for me it was the comeback against Russia in Saskatoon that really stood out as inflating this tournament. After that everyone wanted to watch the team play live in Canada (and now everyone can on what seems like every single year). The other thing is probably TSN with their non-stop pumping up of the tournament.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
i've heard that Coles on Elmwood will open for it

EDIT:

To all our WNY hockey fans, coles will be opening at 745AM Saturday morning for the World Juniors Gold Medal game. USA vs Sweden. We will have a breakfast buffet with eggs, sausage, bacon, home fries, breads & juices. Bar will also be open for beers, cocktails and mimosas. USA, USA

From their Facebook.
In Rochester, thirsty will open- http://www.thirstysonline.com/

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:49 AM
Imlach a cup

I wish these tourneys were more popular. One of the reasons I'd love to see Empire back is that maybe they would show more of the junior/AHL/international games. Went to Toronto last year during the season and had 5 channels of hockey games. Never left the hotel. The endless repeats of NHL games on the network is annoying.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:58 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Gudreau is freaking smart. Good response shift by the USA. Seth Jones swimming on the Swedish goal...

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:07 AM
cybresabre
Crabby Seer

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Haha, "the hockey gods" reward Grimaldi. Grimaldi asks refs to check upstairs to see if the assist can be given to the One True God instead.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:19 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

USA Hockey is just getting stronger and stronger. I feel bad for Sweden, we just own them in these Junior tournaments. I love their game, just not enough offense structure IMO.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:32 AM
aceface33

Well, this tournament sure put McCabe on the map as a prospect.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:01 AM

anyone else tired of posts like these comparing Grigorenko and Galchenyuk? Its grown tiresome

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Yes, Grigorenko is so good he is pointless again in the most important game for Russia. Nothing's changed since the draft.

And lol @ Grigo > Gally talk

is it time to do another prospect ranking? I think there will be quite a few guys who move up (Kea, McCabe, Catenacci )

Last edited by 1972: 01-05-2013 at 10:08 AM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:21 AM
littletonhockeycoach

Very satisfying tournament overall and for USA Hockey. I figured USA was out of it after they lost their composure vs. Canada in the 1st game. Quite a turnaround which the coaching staff should deserve some credit for.

Some great hockey on display and a sweet, sweet ending.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:25 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
anyone else tired of posts like these comparing Grigorenko and Galchenyuk? Its grown tiresome

is it time to do another prospect ranking? I think there will be quite a few guys who move up (Kea, McCabe, Catenacci )
Yes, and maybe? Not sure who those guys would rise over. The only possible fallers, IMO, are Tropp (because who knows how he'll recover from his knee injury) and McNabb (because he's taken a big step back this year). Otherwise, I still see Grigs, Armia, Foligno, Girgs, Pysyk holding down the top 5.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Yes, and maybe? Not sure who those guys would rise over. The only possible fallers, IMO, are Tropp (because who knows how he'll recover from his knee injury) and McNabb (because he's taken a big step back this year). Otherwise, I still see Grigs, Armia, Foligno, Girgs, Pysyk holding down the top 5.
I dont remember the last ranking but thought that McCabe, Kea, and Catenacci were quite low, I must of been wrong. I think that McCabe would easily pass JGL now, and that Kea would pass Sundher, Catenacci is probably where he should be.

Appartenly these were the results.

1. C - Mikhail Grigorenko (Quebec, QMJHL) - 61 of 76 votes (runners up: Armia and Foligno, 5 votes)
2. RW - Joel Armia (Assat, SM-Liiga) - 61 of 71 votes (runner up: Girgensons, 6 votes)
3. C - Zemgus Girgensons (Rochester, AHL) - 32 of 67 votes (runner up: McNabb, 17 votes)
4. D - Brayden McNabb (Rochester, AHL) - 31 of 67 votes (runner up: Foligno, 27 votes)
5. LW - Marcus Foligno (Buffalo, NHL) - 58 of 82 votes (runner up: Pysyk, 23 votes)
6. D - Mark Pysyk (Rochester, AHL) - 63 of 67 votes (runner up: Tropp, 2 votes)
7. D - Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (Rochester, AHL) - 27 of 65 votes (runner up: Tropp, 27 votes; JGL wins tiebreaker 41-38)
8. RW - Corey Tropp (Buffalo, NHL) - 50 of 60 votes (runner up: Catenacci, 4 votes)
9. D - Jake McCabe (Univ of Wisconsin, WCHA) - 24 of 57 votes (runner up: Catenacci, 23 votes)
10. C - Daniel Catenacci (Owen Sound, OHL) - 32 of 55 votes (runner up: Brennan, 17 votes)
11. D - T.J. Brennan (Rochester, AHL) - 25 of 44 votes (runner up: Sundher, 6 votes)
12. C - Kevin Sundher (Rochester, AHL) - 22 of 47 votes (runner up: Ullmark, 10 votes)
13. G - Linus Ullmark (Modo, SuperElit) - 22 of 45 votes (runner up: Kea, 9 votes)
14. C - Justin Kea (Saginaw, OHL) - 11 of 37 votes (runners up: Knapp and Varone, 8 votes)
15(t). G - Connor Knapp (Rochester, AHL) - 12 of 37 votes (runner up: Varone, 9 votes)
15(t). D - Drew Schiestel (Rochester, AHL) - 12 of 37 votes (runner up: Varone, 9 votes)
17. C - Phil Varone (Rochester, AHL) - 23 of 38 votes (runner up: Navin, 5 votes)
18(t). C - Brad Navin (Univ of Wisconsin, WCHA) - 7 of 34 votes (runner up: MacKenzie, 5 votes)
18(t). C - Logan Nelson (Victoria, WHL) - 7 of 34 votes (runner up: MacKenzie, 5 votes)
20. D - Matt MacKenzie (Rochester, AHL) - 9 of 29 votes (runner up: Lieuwen, 8 votes)
21. G - Nathan Lieuwen (Rochester, AHL) - 13 of 24 votes (runner up: Lepkowski, 5 votes)
22(t). C - Brian Flynn (Rochester, AHL) - 7 of 24 votes (runners up: Biega and Peterson, 3 votes)
22(t). D - Alex Lepkowski (Barrie, OHL) - 7 of 24 votes (runners up: Biega and Peterson, 3 votes)
24. D - Nick Crawford (Rochester, AHL) - 6 of 18 votes (runners up: Biega and Peterson, 4 votes)

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
I dont remember the last ranking but thought that McCabe, Kea, and Catenacci were quite low, I must of been wrong.
IIRC, McCabe and Cat were both top 10 and Kea was around 12.

I think.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:32 AM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Lost in all the scramble at the end of the game, McCabe's final shift was beastly.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:48 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
Lost in all the scramble at the end of the game, McCabe's final shift was beastly.
Beautiful dispossession against two forwards, sliding block to break up a Swedish cut to the net from behind the cage, then blocking another shot, all spread over a minute and a half of TOI against six skaters. Oh, I noticed.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:07 AM
cybresabre
Crabby Seer

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
And very long. Well done!

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

Habs fans are so very emotionally invested in that created rivalry. I've gathered it has a lot to do with the pre-draft debates on their boards, and most hold strong feelings about him because of his presence in the Q.

That they're unwilling to admit that Grigs played better over such a small sample of games tells you all you need to know.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

im catching up on some of the games i missed...

man i wish nail scored that last second rush

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
USA Hockey is just getting stronger and stronger. I feel bad for Sweden, we just own them in these Junior tournaments. I love their game, just not enough offense structure IMO.
Don't feel too bad for them. They were the defending champs after all.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:45 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Didn't see it posted here, but McCabe was named to the All-Tournament team (alongside fellow American Jacob Trouba who was the top D).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
I don't remember that one as I was too young (I don't say that very often these days ). But for me it was the comeback against Russia in Saskatoon that really stood out as inflating this tournament. After that everyone wanted to watch the team play live in Canada (and now everyone can on what seems like every single year). The other thing is probably TSN with their non-stop pumping up of the tournament.
You're thinking of this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-up_in_Piestany

1986 Hamilton hosted the tournament and it was broadcast across Canada. That seemed to get the ball rolling -- that and so much of Canadian national pride could be on display as being the best at something year upon year, especially while they were in the midst of a serious Olympic gold drought (lack of pro availability killed them most years).

01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
You're thinking of this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-up_in_Piestany

1986 Hamilton hosted the tournament and it was broadcast across Canada. That seemed to get the ball rolling -- that and so much of Canadian national pride could be on display as being the best at something year upon year, especially while they were in the midst of a serious Olympic gold drought (lack of pro availability killed them most years).
Funny that Brendan Shanahan was on that team! Oh the irony.

1987 was also the Canada Cup, which really got people pumped for cheering on Canada, albeit on a different level. To me it still feels like it was '91 in Saskatoon followed by 5 golds in a row (people like winners!) including the Red Deer team during the lockout that rolled over everyone.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:44 PM
wings5

If Grigs can work with the Sabres skating coach he could be one heck of a player.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
If Grigs can work with the Sabres skating coach he could be one heck of a player.
He's no speed demon but he already has pretty good mobility for his size. Any improvements there would be fantastic of course but it's not something I'm worried about.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote