HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IIHF World Juniors

Old
12-31-2012, 10:55 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Yeah, every time I watch an international Russian squad they seem disorganized.
The last two years they were very, very good IMO. But this is definitely more the norm for Team Russia in this tournament.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:52 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Surprised Makarov didn't get player of the game for Russia. The Russians get a break with Switzerland in the quarters. They're a more consistent club, but Finland would be a scary opponent if they brought their A-game. Also, it appears there's a lot of "Drouin over MacKinnon" talk right now. I <3 small sample sizes.

Semis

CZE/USA winner vs CAN
RUS/SUI winner vs SWE

I'm excited to see Faksa and Hertl, both of whom were talked about a lot around these parts leading up to the 2012 Draft.
I thought Makarov would get player of the game too.

It's not the small sample size of Drouin over MacKinnon, it has been the last few months amung their fans. It's everyone else that is catching up.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:41 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Yeah, every time I watch an international Russian squad they seem disorganized.
They're very hit or miss.
They seem to need someone with a combination of exceptional leadership and skill to make things really work.
This edition has a lot of skill but there's no one that can lead like Kuznetsov or Tarasenko.

The worst I've ever seen was a few years ago at the Ivan Hlinka when the 94's had six shots on goal in total in the semi final.
IIRC, three or four of them came in the last few minutes and they had two combined after two periods of play.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:28 AM
Wisent42

Grigorenko, Armia, McCabe. The future's looking bright for the Sabres. Armia, as many have said, has some consistancy issues, and taking that offensive zone penalty against Sweden just makes the similary with a certain Austrian seem even more legit. But the kid has skill. He'll work it out.

I'm even more impressed with McCabe and Grigorenko. Especially Grigorenko. In the Russian games I've watched (didn't see the one against Canada) he's looked dominant. There's a maturity to his game that I like alot. Filip Forsberg of Team Sweden was drafted one spot ahead of Grigorenko and, well, Grigorenko is so much better. Things can change quickly of course, but right now Capitals look a bit silly for picking Forsberg over Grigorenko.

McCabe looks solid. That can take him a long way. There's a safe feeling about him, like nothing bad is gonna happen on his watch.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

No NHLN, do I wake up at 4 am to watch USA/CZE on NHL.com?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:33 AM
McTank

Finland plays germany in relegation round, chance for armia to pad his stats

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Finland leading 5-0 with about five minutes left in the 3rd. Armia got the only assist on Barkov's goal that made it 3-0.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Koko gives the Russians a 1-0 lead early on the PP. Damn Bruins have talent coming like no ones business... Lucky ********.

01-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Zip15

Armia finishes with a goal and two assists in Finland's 8-0 win.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Koko gives the Russians a 1-0 lead early on the PP. Damn Bruins have talent coming like no ones business... Lucky ********.
I've been underwhelmed by him for most of the tournament. Grigorenko's line has been carrying the mail for them this tournament, while Yakupov-Koko have been pretty quiet.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I've been underwhelmed by him for most of the tournament. Grigorenko's line has been carrying the mail for them this tournament, while Yakupov-Koko have been pretty quiet.
Agreed on the line assessment -- and Grig's gets his first and a key goal as I'm typing -- but I still like how crafty Koko is on the puck and finding the open man. I've been underwhelmed by Yakupov's performance overall in this tournament. Not that he's not a talent, just not putting it together (kind of reminds me of the August tournament). Kucherov-Grigorenko have such awesome chemistry. Hopefully Grigs can mesh like that with someone in the Sabres fold (Armia please).

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Agreed on the line assessment -- and Grig's gets his first and a key goal as I'm typing -- but I still like how crafty Koko is on the puck and finding the open man. I've been underwhelmed by Yakupov's performance overall in this tournament. Not that he's not a talent, just not putting it together (kind of reminds me of the August tournament). Kucherov-Grigorenko have such awesome chemistry. Hopefully Grigs can mesh like that with someone in the Sabres fold (Armia please).
Kucherov and Grigorenko do have amazing chemistry. I think Tampa will come to rue selecting Koekkoek with Grigorenko on the board. Can you imagine one line with Stamkos, and another with Grigs-Kucherov. Tampa would've been dangerous for a long time.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Agreed, that line has been dynamite. I've been impressed with flashes from Koko but not nearly consistent enough.

I've actually seen Grigorenko listed as a "disappointment" by some people, those who clearly haven't watched any of the game. He has been snakebitten but he's been generating chances like nobodies business (along with his linemates).

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Agreed, that line has been dynamite. I've been impressed with flashes from Koko but not nearly consistent enough.

I've actually seen Grigorenko listed as a "disappointment" by some people, those who clearly haven't watched any of the game. He has been snakebitten but he's been generating chances like nobodies business (along with his linemates).
Absurd. He and Kucherov have been the most consistently visible Russian forwards throughout the tournament. They're constantly creating offensive chances. The level of analysis that leads to the conclusion that he's been disappointing probably involves no more than looking at his goal total before today. (Or, alternatively, comes from angry Habs fans who are obsessed with the Galchenyuk-Grigorenko rivalry that they've created, and will stop at nothing to knock the guy, especially when Galchenyuk has been fairly average in this tourney.)

Old
01-02-2013, 08:48 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Absurd. He and Kucherov have been the most consistently visible Russian forwards throughout the tournament. They're constantly creating offensive chances. The level of analysis that leads to the conclusion that he's been disappointing probably involves no more than looking at his goal total before today. (Or, alternatively, comes from angry Habs fans who are obsessed with the Galchenyuk-Grigorenko rivalry that they've created, and will stop at nothing to knock the guy, especially when Galchenyuk has been fairly average in this tourney.)
That's because USA is not playing Galchenyuk correctly, I mean Team USA should be acting like Montreal's farm team with him

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:49 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Well if you said he wasn't a talent, I really wouldn't think twice about it.
That is unless being a soft, undersized cherry picker with no chemistry with anyone takes talent.

I found this hilarious:
Quote:
SpectorsHockey Great line from Soviet great Boris Mikhailov re Nail Yakupov: "Nail's as far removed from Bure as I am from the moon". #Ouch
http://twitter.com/SpectorsHockey/st...46931998298112

Old
01-02-2013, 09:01 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Wow. Russia needs to pick it up.

And why did Vasilevski get the start?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Zip15

Quote:

I don't think they've settled on a true starter at all. If they somehow get through, it wouldn't surprise me to see Makarov back in net for the semis.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
That's because USA is not playing Galchenyuk correctly, I mean Team USA should be acting like Montreal's farm team with him
Zing! I have pointedly ignored a fair amount of that conversation since it seems like a classic case of sour grapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well if you said he wasn't a talent, I really wouldn't think twice about it.
That is unless being a soft, undersized cherry picker with no chemistry with anyone takes talent.

I found this hilarious:

http://twitter.com/SpectorsHockey/st...46931998298112
Ouch. Pavel knew how to score, especially at this tournament. I remember watching him from Alaska with Fedorov and Mogilny -- he had neon yellow laces and stole the show.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

They keep alternating. *shrug*

Old
01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Worst break. Grigo doin thangz.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:15 AM
jfb392

Grigorenko involved in another golden chance but it won't count.

He has been fantastic during this tournament and has even cut out his backhanded passes to nowhere.
If he can find this intensity more often, he's good to go.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
How the world changes... I'm rooting for the Russians against the Swiss? And up next in Chain's Bizarro World, I will be sunbathing and going for a dip in the pool after this game, strolling on the beach and.... what's that? It's 18 degrees and everything is frozen? Oh. Hmmm.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:17 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

There it is.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator