HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJC Discussion- Wikstrand Watch!

Old
01-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

vCash: 500
When will Hockey Canada learn...

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:53 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Wikstrand gets Yakupov duty and he's been shutting him out so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
I dont give ****.

Id still take Zibanejad over: Strome, Hamilton, Huberdeau, and Scheifele..
I can't emphasis how much I agree with this. Last year Zibanejad looked at times to be on another level than the rest of the players in the tourney and was the best player for Sweden in the finals.

Zibanejad gets so much flack but he is more dominant and built for stardom more than any of those guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgi View Post
You guys should draft Lindholm! My fav prospect to my favorite nhl team, would be sick.
I'd give my left nut to make this happen man. We wish we could... hopefully.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:03 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

You can't just have a Team Canada full of one-dimensional scorers.

Our problem was, outside of RNH (and Huberdeau + Scheifle, though they didn't look like it at times), our top guns did NOT play like top guns. There was no secondary anything on this team, and our blueline sucked when it mattered most.

Also: Why was Mckinnon on the team if you weren't going to use him properly? I guess I'm just not a huge fan of sending "facemask-mandatory"-aged kids to this tournament.

Oh, and Subban is nothing special. He's not bad, but him being a 1st round pick just goes to show you how bad a draft year 2012 was, IMO.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post

Our problem was, outside of RNH (and Huberdeau + Scheifle, though they didn't look like it at times), our top guns did NOT play like top guns. There was no secondary anything on this team, and our blueline sucked when it mattered most.

Also: Why was Mckinnon on the team if you weren't going to use him properly? I guess I'm just not a huge fan of sending "facemask-mandatory"-aged kids to this tournament.

Oh, and Subban is nothing special. He's not bad, but him being a 1st round pick just goes to show you how bad a draft year 2012 was, IMO.
Disagree Bonk.

The players that are the best are not one-dimensional scorers. They're able to contribute on both ends of the ice, but they have that extra ability to put the puck on the net that these "grinders" don't.

It's the grinders that are one dimensional, not the offensive guys.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:09 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Did I call it or what

Didn't watch the game but Mark McNeill? Ryan Murphy? list goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Disagree Bonk.

The players that are the best are not one-dimensional scorers. They're able to contribute on both ends of the ice, but they have that extra ability to put the puck on the net that these "grinders" don't.

this. Manked you are smart.

#Monahan4Prez

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Smash88

Quote:

Most of our top offensive players aren't one dimensional though...

Mackinnon being on the team is fine, just put him with similar offensive players..

I agree with goaltending though, That's Canada's biggest weakness and it doesn't look like its getting any better for a while...

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:16 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Disagree Bonk.

Totes agree. I just wanted to be sure we weren't talking about sending the 20 highest scorers in the CHL. The "2-way guys" most definitely have their place on the team, it just so happens that this year's crop of them sucked arse compared to previous years. So yeah...

And, like I said before, the offensive guys we DID send, outside of our 1st line and Ouellet, were pretty bad. Like I said: not impressed with Mckinnon at all in this tourney, and that's not his fault: He shouldn't have been there.

Outside of RNH, there were no real to dogs who dominated. There were no Eberle's this year. No Tavares'es. No Toews'es. Other countries are getting so good these days that you need at least one part of your game to stick out. This year, we thought it would be the offence, and we were wrong.

Defence and goaltending lost the game for us today, IMO.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:17 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Most of our top offensive players aren't one dimensional though...

Mackinnon being on the team is fine, just put him with similar offensive players..

I agree with goaltending though, That's Canada's biggest weakness and it doesn't look like its getting any better for a while...
Agreed, but a lot of the guys who we invited to camp who didn't make it are.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:24 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Manked I would be interested in seeing the lineup you think Canada should have sent

Old
01-03-2013, 08:44 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Manked I would be interested in seeing the lineup you think Canada should have sent
All I have to say is NOBODY should have had &$!#@~* Murphy on their teams...

Old
01-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Ryan Murphy reminded me of Matt Gilroy in that tourney.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:53 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Ryan Murphy reminded me of Matt Gilroy in that tourney.
Every game I watched in the tournament, I kept remarking: "who is that guy?!? He's terrible...why is he on the ice?!?" Then I'd see it's Ryan Murphy and I can't help but feel that Columbus just got BONED hard by the draft...

First thing they need to do is get rid of Spott. He sucks as a Junior coach. Next, as others mentioned, change the philosophy of how to build the team. It isn't working.

Lastly, invest some money into developing goalies in this country. Face it, we've been passed now by the States, Sweden, Russia AND Switzerland when it comes to developing for this tournament.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:54 AM
topshelfie

Quote:

I agree with you. It seems like outside of Jenner we are lacking some sandpaper. We had many skilled forwards and defenceman instead of those tough to play against players.

As for Subban, it was weird how we rode him until today whereas the last several years we gave our backup a few starts here and there. I'm not sure we can blame Subban for today's game though.

Scoring once is terrible, at least in Ottawa we made a game of it no matter how bad our goaltedning was.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Vikstrand is looking pretty awful defensively.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:56 AM
burf

^^^ I just turned the game on and the first thing I see is him getting burned hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Every game I watched in the tournament, I kept remarking: "who is that guy?!? He's terrible...why is he on the ice?!?" Then I'd see it's Ryan Murphy and I can't help but feel that Columbus just got BONED hard by the draft...
Murphy's a Carolina draft pick. He's not Ryan Murray, who was injured before this tournament.

burf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:56 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:

First thing they need to do is get rid of Spott. He sucks as a Junior coach. Next, as others mentioned, change the philosophy of how to build the team. It isn't working.

Lastly, invest some money into developing goalies in this country. Face it, we've been passed now by the States, Sweden, Russia AND Switzerland when it comes to developing for this tournament.
Carolina.

Ryan Murphy, who sucks = Carolina
Ryan Murray, who is out for the year with an injury = Columbus

Old
01-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
Vikstrand is looking pretty awful defensively.
Hmmm. He's had a couple good plays too though. Yakupov tried to burn him wide and Wikstrand kept him on the outside the entire time.

EDIT: Just got dangled by Yak.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:58 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
I agree with you. It seems like outside of Jenner we are lacking some sandpaper. We had many skilled forwards and defenceman instead of those tough to play against players.

As for Subban, it was weird how we rode him until today whereas the last several years we gave our backup a few starts here and there. I'm not sure we can blame Subban for today's game though.

Scoring once is terrible, at least in Ottawa we made a game of it no matter how bad our goaltedning was.
Dude. Again, I didn't watch the game, but.. the guys who are the hardest to play against are the scorers... Nuge, Huberdeau, Scheifele.

Random physical grinders who don't contribute any goals and are marginally better defensively aren't valuable at all.

Make the best two-way lines possible. That is all. And that includes Monahan.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:59 AM
OgieO

I was ridiculed when I kept saying Binnington should have been our goalie - maybe he doesn't make a difference today, but maybe he does. Imo, its a bad sign when you don't play well in the selection camp & exh games. You really don't have an excuse (well, maybe a small excuse in the exhibition games with new rink size).

Binnington was the better goalie and should have gotten the start the whole tourney.

Still, our defense was not good enough to win this tourney. Terrible selection choices made. Too much skill in this event to have defensive liabilities on the ice that often. Sure, you need a PP guy or two, but you just can't have defensive liabilities out there in these short tournaments. We were supposed to have learned that lesson in Turin.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Quote:
Hmmm. He's had a couple good plays too though. Yakupov tried to burn him wide and Wikstrand kept him on the outside the entire time.
Yakupov just walked him pretty easily a second ago.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
Yakupov just walked him pretty easily a second ago.
LOL it wasn't pretty easily. It was a great move, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:03 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Carolina.

Ryan Murphy, who sucks = Carolina
Ryan Murray, who is out for the year with an injury = Columbus
My bad...got my irrelevant "C" city teams mixed up.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:03 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
I think I might have missed the original criticism on this board, and I'm blaming my 3rd gin & tonic.

I thought the sentiment at first was "don't ever send over grinders because yo need to have your 12 best offensively gifted players out there". I do think that you do need some sandpaper guys on the team, however I do think that if you just don't have the RIGHT guys, or a particular year's crop of 2-way guys aren't up to par, you should leave them at home.

So yeah. If the criticsm is "don't fill your roster out knowing you HAVE to send 6 rough & tumble guys, especially when this year's crop sucks" then I agree. Don't send guys who aren't ready for this tournament.
If the criticism is "2-way guys have no place at the WJC", however, then I maintain my original objection.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Great steal and breakout by Wikstrand there...

Old
01-03-2013, 09:06 AM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

When Yakupov tries moves like that all the time not surprising when one works lol. Wikstrand has played fine, keep in mind he's essentially the one covering Yakupov all night/day.

SensPromo is online now   Reply With Quote