HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Should the World Juniors move to a larger format?

View Poll Results: Should they increase the number of teams in the WJHC?
No, they should not (Keep it at 10 teams) 41 57.75%
Yes, they should (Raise to 12 teams) 24 33.80%
Yes, they should (Raise to 16 teams) 5 7.04%
Other/Not sure 1 1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Is that so?
I do remember quite a few of those smaller teams being competitive, Germany beating USA and Slovakia and then getting relegated because of losses against Belarus and Switzerland, Russia barely beating Kazakhstan, Switzerland taking the eventual gold-medal winner Sweden to a shootout. It happens, just like blowout losses happen. Now, blowouts were a bit more extreme lately then in the years prior to that, but there is a reason for that as well.

The problem is, the smaller nations are much more dependent on the skill of their oldest age-class. There have been quite a few times where teams got up to the WJC on the strength of their best class in years, only to lose most of them for the next tournament and get blown to bits because the next class was weak. Just like teams got relegated to a lower level even though they were probably much stronger than the team that got up. That's why having only one team go down makes sense.

Then you get to the point of different strategies. Some smaller nations try to compete with the best, and then lack the energy to beat those who are about their level, as those teams didn't waste any energy on the big nations, letting themselves get steamrolled, to save anything they have for the games they can win.

They just changed the system so maybe they should wait for some years and see how it goes.
It's funny because when things happen like Germany beating the USA it is 100% a reflection of the dominant team (USA) mailing it in or "falling asleep at the wheel". People are desperate to make it about the success of the underdog but it just isn't what happened. Personally I am not interested in watching games where there is such a mismatch that one team has no motivation to try, even if it means the underdog wins once and a while.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:16 AM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 460
I'd like to see it expanded maybe 12 or perhaps even 14 teams but what I really want gone is the automatic bye to the semis which is in effect in U20 but not in the U18 even though both formats feature 5 teams per group

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:13 AM
CoolForumNamePending

vCash: 500
I dunno... From a competition/competitiveness stand point the WJC already is the least interesting tournament in the history of sports (obviously hyperbole but you get my point) and I don't think adding 2 (or 4 or 6) additional teams is going to change that. The fact that there looks to be, on paper at least, 6 fairly strong teams this year I think is pretty unusual. Historically Canada & Russia seem to have been the only 2 nations that have been strong year after year. Based on raw numbers alone going forward the US should have enough depth to always have a strong team while at least in fairly recent times the Czech Rep, Finland & Sweden seemed to have all taken turns at different times being really good and pretty bad.

As has already been mentioned one of the problems is a country may earn promotion with a relatively strong group of players who are then to old to play in the tournament the following year. This means the team that is now playing in the elite division could be made up of a weaker group of players who may have even struggled in Div I.

The idea of having a qualifying tournament earlier in the year to determine the the final couple of spots in the tournament so the players that earn the spot in the higher division are the players that play in the higher division seems reasonable. Obviously there are logistical issues to overcome though.

Anyway... I think limiting the relegated teams to 1 and overhauling the struture of the lower divisions were a step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
It's funny because when things happen like Germany beating the USA it is 100% a reflection of the dominant team (USA) mailing it in or "falling asleep at the wheel". People are desperate to make it about the success of the underdog but it just isn't what happened. Personally I am not interested in watching games where there is such a mismatch that one team has no motivation to try, even if it means the underdog wins once and a while.
I get the dominate team taking the weaker team lightly heading into a game but if the better team is tied or trailing by a goal or 2 heading into the 3rd I would have to think if they were "falling asleep at the wheel" they are now wide awake. At that point if the better team does drop points to their inferior opponent than that opponent deserves a little more than 0% credit for the result.

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote