HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Junior Discussion

Old
01-03-2013, 12:58 PM
SeawaterOnIce

vCash: 500
Meh, we had a good run of winning gold. The games themselves haven't been so bad.

2010 was fun to watch. Heartbreaking finish.

2011 was rather...interesting (?) to watch. It was a spectacular collapse, but full credit to the Russians.

2012, again, was interesting to watch. Thought Canada would pull off the improbable comeback after being down 6-1. They fought to the bitter end.

2013...what the hell was that?

Coaching, lack of elite defense and shoddy goaltending continue to plague Hockey Canada.

SeawaterOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Fictional Realism
Reason for Optimism

vCash: 894
Really poor coaching and player management by Hockey Canada once again ... they need to find someone who can actually run this thing effectively.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
TheBrockBoesMonster
3rd overall? Nope!

Just awful all around.

Canada still can't get quality goaltending. Meanwhile every other finalist team gets dominant performances from their goaltenders. Subban just didn't make the big saves when he needed to.

Murphy was a pylon. Such a bad pick over Corrado and Sproul. You don't play favorites when it comes to picking these tournaments and it cost them big time. Why the hell was MacKinnon being forced into a checking role as an offensive 17 year old? What a blunder.

Four years without gold. Round and round we go.

TheBrockBoesMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:27 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Just awful all around.

Canada still can't get quality goaltending. Meanwhile every other finalist team gets dominant performances from their goaltenders. Subban just didn't make the big saves when he needed to.

Murphy was a pylon. Such a bad pick over Corrado and Sproul. You don't play favorites when it comes to picking these tournaments and it cost them big time. Why the hell was MacKinnon being forced into a checking role as an offensive 17 year old? What a blunder.

That is unfair to Subban.

Which goals should be have saved today?

Definitely not the first two. Maybe the 4th?

Shinkaruk and Monahan likely would have been better selections than Lipon and Camara as well.

I don't like that the camp was useless. The players who performed at that camp weren't selected.

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Royal Canuck
M-V-P

vCash: 814
Another dissapointing effort for Team Canada playing when it counts, doesn't matter much if we can win every round-robin game for the past 8 years and yet we're 50/50 in the last 4 years when it comes to knockout/medal games.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You have to hate losing, more than you love winning. "
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
KidCanuck*

Quote:
Just awful all around.

Agree with most of this but goaltending was the least of our problems. Personally I would have taken Dumba over Murphy and had moved up one of our other D into a more offensive role. Bang on about MacKinnon though, just a terrible selection in that role and not good enough to be a top 6 with some of other other quality centers we had. Strome sure was snake bitten today. Gibson did stand on his head though. Should be a good final. I can't see the States losing, their team game is where it needs to be. I saw a lot of individual efforts from the Sweden Russia game today, everyone trying to go one on one or trying to beat the goalie with a wrist shots if they couldn't beat their man one on one. USA moves the puck within their system with purpose and their solid D core and superior goaltending to go along with their pesky quick forwards make a recipe for gold in my opinion.

KidCanuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:40 PM
BeardedCanuck

vCash: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
That is unfair to Subban.

Which goals should be have saved today?

Definitely not the first two. Maybe the 4th?

Shinkaruk and Monahan likely would have been better selections than Lipon and Camara as well.

I don't like that the camp was useless. The players who performed at that camp weren't selected.
First goal was his fault, he should have covered up on the first shot, that's been his huge problem this whole tournament he has had horriable rebound control. Iit's night and day watching Subban and Binnington, Subban is so stationary in net, at least IMO he always seems to be barely making the saves instead of moving in the net and tracking the puck lie you see Binnington do. Also you can hear Binnington directing traffic, Subban I never heard directing traffic. The game isn't all on Subban but I think that Binnington gives this team a much better chance at winning.

BeardedCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Another dissapointing effort for Team Canada playing when it counts, doesn't matter much if we can win every round-robin game for the past 8 years and yet we're 50/50 in the last 4 years when it comes to knockout/medal games.
Doesn't that sound strangely familiar? Does Team Canada get to raise a banner for top round-robin team?

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:09 PM
pahlsson

this loss feels very meh for some reason

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Chris McKinlay

Maybe it's a good thing for Corrado's development that he didn't make Team Canada.

Chris McKinlay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:24 PM
TheBrockBoesMonster
3rd overall? Nope!

Not to add any more fuel to the "Corrado should have made the team" camp, but how the hell was Reinhart a top 5 pick? He was all over the place and took one of the dumbest penalties I've seen in my life. If the American player stayed down (and kudos to him for not milking it) that would have been a major and a game misconduct.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not to add any more fuel to the "Corrado should have made the team" camp, but how the hell was Reinhart a top 5 pick? He was all over the place and took one of the dumbest penalties I've seen in my life. If the American player stayed down (and kudos to him for not milking it) that would have been a major and a game misconduct.
Wasn't Reinhart the one who hadn't had a minor penalty all year or something? Sure went out the window in this tournament...

He and Hamilton were huge disappointments on D. Guys who are supposed to lead the way from the back end and they flopped rather spectacularly. Harrington was pretty much the only guy who played as advertised - solid defensively, but he's not going to provide much (anything) in the way of offense. He, Ouellet and Reilly were pretty decent.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
TheBrockBoesMonster
3rd overall? Nope!

Rielly was not nearly as good as Leafs fans made him out to be. I was expecting the second coming of Brian Leech. Instead, I got the second coming of Bryan Berard.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Rielly was not nearly as good as Leafs fans made him out to be. I was expecting the second coming of Brian Leech. Instead, I got the second coming of Bryan Berard.
I actually thought Rielly looked pretty good. I was left shaking my head many times wondering why Ryan Murphy kept getting all the plum PP minutes - Rielly looked more dangerous offensively, and at the worst, was equally as bad as Murphy at all other aspects of the game.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Wasn't Reinhart the one who hadn't had a minor penalty all year or something? Sure went out the window in this tournament...
No, that's his little brother Sam. 2 PIM in 67 games last year.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I actually thought Rielly looked pretty good. I was left shaking my head many times wondering why Ryan Murphy kept getting all the plum PP minutes - Rielly looked more dangerous offensively, and at the worst, was equally as bad as Murphy at all other aspects of the game.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the two defensemen. Rielly's forte' is offense; would be like if Ehrhoff was still a Canuck and only getting 2nd unit PP duty. Not like Murphy was doing *anything* on the PP.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:21 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:

He and Hamilton were huge disappointments on D. Guys who are supposed to lead the way from the back end and they flopped rather spectacularly. Harrington was pretty much the only guy who played as advertised - solid defensively, but he's not going to provide much (anything) in the way of offense. He, Ouellet and Reilly were pretty decent.
I had a feeling Reinhart would struggle on the big ice. Hamilton was dissapointing, and so was Rielly (expected more offensively from him). I didn't expect much from Murphy though. I liked Ouellet and Harrington during the tournament.

got "removed from the conversation" in the PGT of the Game on the main boards. Just ridiculous.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 01-03-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: sorry man, I have to edit out talking about Mods...
CalgaryCanuck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Basso

USA has really improved in hockey in the last decade or so. Very impressive last 3 games by them. I thought we would have a close game but 5-1 is harsh.

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Scurr
Bear G

We got out coached big time imo. Phil Housley got his D involved in the attack and on the forecheck and we didn't have an answer. I hate the style of game they play in junior hockey, we need someone that can coach a possession game on the big ice. We definitely had enough talent to play that style.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:02 PM
LiquidSnake*

I'd be lying if I said I was shocked. The defense was atrocious.

Wotherspoon, Reinhart were terrible.

Murphy and Hamilton werent garbage. They're the **** you incinerate.

Would like to have seen some regular minutes for Reilly.

Thought Ouellet was ok as well.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Bryan Berard was awesome before his eye injury. Guy was half-blind after it.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:18 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

So I never really caught any followup, but what exactly was the call on Canada's goal which was totally a goal but then it probably shouldn't have been a goal but then amazingly they did the right/wrong thing and called it a goal?

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:31 PM
racerjoe

The TSN boys were right on this one, blame to go around, but imo it all starts on D. A puck control game starts from solid breakouts, and good passes, and when someone says where was the Nuge, you go, no one was getting him the puck.

I question any coach that feed the number of minutes Murphy got, his decision making is terrible. You can really notice it with the rush, when 9 times out of ten he takes a terrible shot on goal from a weak angle. Contrast that with Rielly, who would at least take those shots from the middle of the ice.

In our own zone, again, I thought things started with the D, not making the smart choices, and then forcing others to run around. The first goal is a great example of this, when four Canadians decide they can play goal better than Subban.

tough to blame Subban, I would have pulled him after the third goal, but the game was not his fault, and hindsight is 20/20 when it would have been smarted to go with binnington. I will say I don't like they way we have been teaching our goalies, you see the huge difference in styles between the two guys, and they play towards their strengths, but also missing the simple things. Play the angles direct/control rebounds.

Having said all of that, full marks to the US, they played great, and so did Gibson, who was the Game MVP.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:31 PM
PRNuck
Rekt.

vCash: 833
Dear Steve Spott,

I told you so.

Love,
PRNuck

P.S. Lol.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Dear Steve Spott,

I told you so.

Love,
PRNuck

P.S. Lol.
You totally can trace it back, as many have said, it started at selection camp, and I am sure it doesn't help force feeding your son er Murphy minutes he doesn't deserve. I said it from the get go, on the big ice, you need the best skaters. size means a lot less.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote