HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would leafs do with a 60 million salary cap?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-25-2012, 07:37 AM
  #1
Morlesio14*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The 416
Country: North Korea
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
What would leafs do with a 60 million salary cap?

What do u think our roster will look like under a new salary cap?
Would we have to trade some of our high income players?
Who could we get back?

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 08:14 AM
  #2
ULF_55
Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 64,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
What do u think our roster will look like under a new salary cap?
Would we have to trade some of our high income players?
Who could we get back?
With the rollback I think they'd do nothing if the season started right away. They'd probably have the same line-up, they are at about $63 million.

Now if there are dramatic changes, as in decertification, and voided contracts ... well then there'd be no salary cap.

If there is no season, then you can probably bump off Lupul, MacArthur, Connolly, Bozak , Steckel and Lombardi from up front. That's about $19 million.

Promoting a couple Marlies and going to market would be in order.

Until there is an agreement with the union or there is no union it is complete mystery of what the next version of the Toronto Maple Leafs will look like.

__________________
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14...cording-forbes

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 08:29 AM
  #3
Leafs For Life*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
Well, the only people that I see management really wanting to keep are Lupul and Bozak. I'd say Lupul signs for about 5M, while Bozak around 2. That put's us well enough under the cap.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 09:29 AM
  #4
The Magic Man
With God given hands
 
The Magic Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,295
vCash: 500
You have to know what the rollback will amount to, to know where they stand. According to capgeek.com they are at 63M in cap dollars. But with a rollback that drops by a certain percentage. The 300M make whole money would not count against the cap, if I understand that correctly.

Then you have to see if there will be an amnesty buy out like the last CBA.

The Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 11:09 AM
  #5
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 71,671
vCash: 500
Leaf Nation used to rejoice in the knowledge that certain players contracts were expiring and that would return free cap space for team improvements.

However the new CBA forcing a 50/50 HRR split and a 12% player reduction would move a current cap ceiling of $70 mil dropping it to $58-60 mil for next season..

This means that soon to be UFA players like Connolly, Lombardi and MacArthur and their according presently occupied cap space will simple be absorbed and not replaced upon departure to comply with the new lower cap, replaced by Marlies on cheaper contracts.

That leaves a Leafs line-up looking something like.

Lupul (re-signed) --- Bozak (re-signed) --- Kessel
JVR ------------------ Grabovski ----------- Kulemin
Kadri ---------------- Colborne ------------ Frattin
Komarov ------------ McClement ---------- Brown

Phaneuf ------ Gardiner
Gunnarsson -- Rielly
Komisarek --- Liles
Franson ------ Holzer

Reimer
???

and if that ??? becomes Roberto Luongo then Kardi, Frattin and others might be heading out in trade.

__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Signature: "Never say Never to a Mike Babcock coached team" ..... Mess (circa 2015) #Play-the-Kids
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 12:12 PM
  #6
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 38,746
vCash: 500
any drop in salary cap would include amnesty buyouts, which means bye-bye to Komisarek ($4.5) and Lombardi ($3.5) at the least.

J.Lupul (4.25) --- T.Connolly (4.75) --- P.Kessel (5.40)
J.VanR (4.25) --- M.Grabovski (5.50) -- C.MacArthur (3.25)
M.Frattin (0.93) --- T.Bozak (1.50) ---- N.Kulemin (2.80)
M.Brown (0.74) -- J.McClement (1.50) - L.Komarov (1.20)
(D.Steckel (1.10) --- N.Kadri (1.72))

J.Gardiner (1.12) --- D.Phaneuf (6.50)
J.Liles (3.88) ------- C.Gunnarsson (1.33)
M.Rielly (1.78) ------ P.Ranger (1.00)
(C.Franson (2.00))

J.Reimer (1.80)
B.Scrivens (0.62)


D.Tucker (1.00)
C.Armstrong (1.00)


That roster's a hair under $60m.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 12:37 PM
  #7
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 71,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
any drop in salary cap would include amnesty buyouts, which means bye-bye to Komisarek ($4.5) and Lombardi ($3.5) at the least.

J.Lupul (4.25) --- T.Connolly (4.75) --- P.Kessel (5.40)
J.VanR (4.25) --- M.Grabovski (5.50) -- C.MacArthur (3.25)
M.Frattin (0.93) --- T.Bozak (1.50) ---- N.Kulemin (2.80)
M.Brown (0.74) -- J.McClement (1.50) - L.Komarov (1.20)
(D.Steckel (1.10) --- N.Kadri (1.72))

J.Gardiner (1.12) --- D.Phaneuf (6.50)
J.Liles (3.88) ------- C.Gunnarsson (1.33)
M.Rielly (1.78) ------ P.Ranger (1.00)
(C.Franson (2.00))

J.Reimer (1.80)
B.Scrivens (0.62)


D.Tucker (1.00)
C.Armstrong (1.00)


That roster's a hair under $60m.
So to summarize basically its the current team we have right now, minus Komisarek, Lombardi and Rosehill replaced by Paul Ranger, Nazem Kadri & Leo Komarov on the current roster with recent draft pick Morgan Rielly added as well to replace the departed/traded Luke Schenn roster spot from last season.

Are those changes expected to make this team a competitive one and playoff contender?

I still don't believe that Reimer/Scrivens is going to be the answer, and that Luongo is going to be a Leaf shortly after that experiment is tested. Adding $5.5 mil to the Cap however will require further cuts to the current team in trade or removal for cap compliance reasons.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 12:53 PM
  #8
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 38,746
vCash: 500
Would be a very nice upgrade over last ear's team with riell and ranger over schenn and komi, jvr and mcclement and komarov over crabb lombardi armstrong, plus a healthy reimer....but if you wanted to swing a trade for luongo it wouldn't be too difficult.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:47 AM
  #9
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show
 
Warden of the North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,970
vCash: 500
Burke would be burying the likes of Lombardi, Connolly, Komisarek before he'd be trading Dion, Phil or Lupul.

He'd probably be trying to prey on other teams who cant afford to bury contracts and may have to move a good player.

Warden of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:04 AM
  #10
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 71,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Burke would be burying the likes of Lombardi, Connolly, Komisarek before he'd be trading Dion, Phil or Lupul.

He'd probably be trying to prey on other teams who cant afford to bury contracts and may have to move a good player.
The current NHL proposal has adjustments by Bettman that have addressed rich teams burying players in the minors by having their salaries continue to count against the teams cap in the new CBA.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:43 AM
  #11
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
What do u think our roster will look like under a new salary cap?
Would we have to trade some of our high income players?
Who could we get back?
We don't particularly have high income players. We have some filler guys paid more than their worth but not a whole lot of high salaried players.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:14 AM
  #12
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,175
vCash: 50
All I know is we would be in much better shape than other teams. For the 2013-2014 season, here are some teams, their cap payroll and the number of players contributing to that cap payroll:
Boston - 57.35m from 16 players
Minny - 51.13m from 16 players
Vancouver - 55.4m from 13 players
Calgary - 47.87m from 14 players
Philly - 57.47m from 16 players
San Jose - 54.34m from 14 players
Chicago - 57.21m from 17 players
Buffalo - 49.64m from 14 players
Montreal - 60.16m from 16 players
Washington - 44.8m from 12 players
Toronto - 41.52m from 13 players

These are the 11 teams with the highest cap payrolls going into the 2012-2013 season according to capgeek. Of those 11 teams Toronto is in the best cap position with Montreal being in the worst position (above 60m already with only 16 players under contract for the 2013-2014 season). Toronto I believe would be fine and not have to trade away any star players. Many of these other teams have to worry about it though.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:32 AM
  #13
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 71,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
All I know is we would be in much better shape than other teams. For the 2013-2014 season, here are some teams, their cap payroll and the number of players contributing to that cap payroll:
Boston - 57.35m from 16 players
Minny - 51.13m from 16 players
Vancouver - 55.4m from 13 players
Calgary - 47.87m from 14 players
Philly - 57.47m from 16 players
San Jose - 54.34m from 14 players
Chicago - 57.21m from 17 players
Buffalo - 49.64m from 14 players
Montreal - 60.16m from 16 players
Washington - 44.8m from 12 players
Toronto - 41.52m from 13 players

These are the 11 teams with the highest cap payrolls going into the 2012-2013 season according to capgeek. Of those 11 teams Toronto is in the best cap position with Montreal being in the worst position (above 60m already with only 16 players under contract for the 2013-2014 season). Toronto I believe would be fine and not have to trade away any star players. Many of these other teams have to worry about it though.
With a 50-50 split of HRR (hockey-related revenues) throughout the deal. The Salary cap ceiling would be $59.9 million and the floor would be $43.9 million.

Toronto's situation $41.52 mil from 13 players with 23 players a max roster size = 10 players and $18.4 mil free cap space. (average 1.84 mil per player)..

Lupul signed (@~$5 mil)
Bozak signed (~$2 mil)
Gunnarsson signed (~$2 mil)
Franson signed (~$1 mil)

= $10 mil for re-signing current players of $18.4 available = $8.4 mil balance for 6 roster spots.
&
$8.4 mil/ 6 roster spots = $1.4 mil average.

Nazem Kadri ($1.7 mil)
Leo Komarov ($1.2 mil)
Korbinan Holzer ($575 mil)

= ~$5 mil for final 3 roster players mostly reserves.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:55 AM
  #14
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!
 
BayStBullies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: @BayStBullies
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
What do u think our roster will look like under a new salary cap?
Would we have to trade some of our high income players?
Who could we get back?
If the cap drops substantially; the Leafs will not be able to trade high income players. Who the heck would want/afford them?

The cap doesn't just drop for the Leafs...

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:32 PM
  #15
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 41,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
any drop in salary cap would include amnesty buyouts, which means bye-bye to Komisarek ($4.5) and Lombardi ($3.5) at the least.

J.Lupul (4.25) --- T.Connolly (4.75) --- P.Kessel (5.40)
J.VanR (4.25) --- M.Grabovski (5.50) -- C.MacArthur (3.25)
M.Frattin (0.93) --- T.Bozak (1.50) ---- N.Kulemin (2.80)
M.Brown (0.74) -- J.McClement (1.50) - L.Komarov (1.20)
(D.Steckel (1.10) --- N.Kadri (1.72))

J.Gardiner (1.12) --- D.Phaneuf (6.50)
J.Liles (3.88) ------- C.Gunnarsson (1.33)
M.Rielly (1.78) ------ P.Ranger (1.00)
(C.Franson (2.00))

J.Reimer (1.80)
B.Scrivens (0.62)


D.Tucker (1.00)
C.Armstrong (1.00)


That roster's a hair under $60m.
If there's a drop to a $60 million cap, we have no problems.

Lombardi, MacArthur, Connolly, Lupul, Steckel, Bozak coming off the books represents $18.35 million in cap savings, and out of that bunch, I'd expect Lupul, Bozak and McCarthur back, and probably not with raises.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:42 PM
  #16
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If there's a drop to a $60 million cap, we have no problems.

Lombardi, MacArthur, Connolly, Lupul, Steckel, Bozak coming off the books represents $18.35 million in cap savings, and out of that bunch, I'd expect Lupul, Bozak and McCarthur back, and probably not with raises.
You have to think Lupul gets a raise, though probably on a shorter term deal. He was a PPG player last year.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:05 PM
  #17
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 41,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
You have to think Lupul gets a raise, though probably on a shorter term deal. He was a PPG player last year.
I wouldn't give him a raise, citing his possible fluke season plus the changing NHL climate. If he doesn't go for it, there's a lot of free agents getting squeezed off their rosters a la 2005-06.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:15 PM
  #18
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I wouldn't give him a raise, citing his possible fluke season plus the changing NHL climate. If he doesn't go for it, there's a lot of free agents getting squeezed off their rosters a la 2005-06.
I'm not talking a major raise. There's no way he gets more than Kessel money.. but somewhere aroung 5 mil on a 2 year contract makes sense IMO.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:39 PM
  #19
Epictetus
Moderator
YNWA
 
Epictetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,530
vCash: 511
With a 60 million salary cap, the Leafs would: fail to make the playoffs, fail to win the Stanley Cup, and fail to ice a #1 center, #1 d-man, and #1 goaltender.

So yeah, go Donald Fehr!

Epictetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 02:00 PM
  #20
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 41,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
I'm not talking a major raise. There's no way he gets more than Kessel money.. but somewhere aroung 5 mil on a 2 year contract makes sense IMO.
No, he's not getting that. I'd give him the same money he's making now at the very upper limit. $4,250,000. And that's generous.

In a changing economic climate where you actually have big time UFAs hitting the market, I'd be looking at those guys instead of paying more money for the same old same old.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:03 PM
  #21
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
No, he's not getting that. I'd give him the same money he's making now at the very upper limit. $4,250,000. And that's generous.

In a changing economic climate where you actually have big time UFAs hitting the market, I'd be looking at those guys instead of paying more money for the same old same old.
Fair enough.

I may end up agreeing with you on this, it ultimately depends on what the new CBA looks like.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:06 PM
  #22
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,175
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
With a 50-50 split of HRR (hockey-related revenues) throughout the deal. The Salary cap ceiling would be $59.9 million and the floor would be $43.9 million.

Toronto's situation $41.52 mil from 13 players with 23 players a max roster size = 10 players and $18.4 mil free cap space. (average 1.84 mil per player)..

Lupul signed (@~$5 mil)
Bozak signed (~$2 mil)
Gunnarsson signed (~$2 mil)
Franson signed (~$1 mil)

= $10 mil for re-signing current players of $18.4 available = $8.4 mil balance for 6 roster spots.
&
$8.4 mil/ 6 roster spots = $1.4 mil average.

Nazem Kadri ($1.7 mil)
Leo Komarov ($1.2 mil)
Korbinan Holzer ($575 mil)

= ~$5 mil for final 3 roster players mostly reserves.
Going off of your numbers (which I would change slightly but not a big deal so won't get into that and also assuming you meant 0.575m for Holzer ) our lineup would look something like for 2013-2014:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kadri
Frattin - McClemant - Kulemin
Komarov - ?????? - Brown
Extras: ?????, ?????

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Liles - Komi
Extras: Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

Looking at it, goalie could use an upgrade for sure, defense could maybe use some more defensive guys and forward seems to be mostly lacking a better first line center. The spot where we can save the most money for that is somehow managing to get rid of Liles and Komi. Replacing those 2 with Rielly + Holzer (and assuming a new 7th defenseman at the same cost as Holzer) saves a tad over 6m in cap space. Could use maybe 3.5m of that to upgrade on Reimer to Luongo and the last 2.5m to upgrade on Bozak and I like the team's chances better. But how all the young players (Kadri, Frattin, Komarov, Rielly, Holzer) perform would be the make or break for the teams performance. All in all the CBA could change too much to accurately predict a teams future performance

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:14 PM
  #23
BlueBaron
Registered User
 
BlueBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
So to summarize basically its the current team we have right now, minus Komisarek, Lombardi and Rosehill replaced by Paul Ranger, Nazem Kadri & Leo Komarov on the current roster with recent draft pick Morgan Rielly added as well to replace the departed/traded Luke Schenn roster spot from last season.

Are those changes expected to make this team a competitive one and playoff contender?

I still don't believe that Reimer/Scrivens is going to be the answer, and that Luongo is going to be a Leaf shortly after that experiment is tested. Adding $5.5 mil to the Cap however will require further cuts to the current team in trade or removal for cap compliance reasons.
If the Leafs were forced to go with that roster then I would guess it would have to be considered a development year. Bozak gets a 1 year deal, maybe Steckel is kept as an extra forward, the following year spend Komi's cap space.

You hope one of your two goalies proves a starter and if not look at getting one, and the same at center? Can Kadri or Bozak be the long term solution ?

I have to think there would have to be a buy-out if you are imposing a 10 mil drop within a year.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:24 PM
  #24
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 71,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
If the Leafs were forced to go with that roster then I would guess it would have to be considered a development year. Bozak gets a 1 year deal, maybe Steckel is kept as an extra forward, the following year spend Komi's cap space.

You hope one of your two goalies proves a starter and if not look at getting one, and the same at center? Can Kadri or Bozak be the long term solution ?

I have to think there would have to be a buy-out if you are imposing a 10 mil drop within a year.
According to Bettman if we have a partial season than they play by the $70 mil cap ceiling that exists now, but as of next year all teams would have to comply with the new lower $59.9 mil.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:13 PM
  #25
7even
Go on, do your duty
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 10,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
With a 50-50 split of HRR (hockey-related revenues) throughout the deal. The Salary cap ceiling would be $59.9 million and the floor would be $43.9 million.

Toronto's situation $41.52 mil from 13 players with 23 players a max roster size = 10 players and $18.4 mil free cap space. (average 1.84 mil per player)..

Lupul signed (@~$5 mil)
Bozak signed (~$2 mil)
Gunnarsson signed (~$2 mil)
Franson signed (~$1 mil)

= $10 mil for re-signing current players of $18.4 available = $8.4 mil balance for 6 roster spots.
&
$8.4 mil/ 6 roster spots = $1.4 mil average.

Nazem Kadri ($1.7 mil)
Leo Komarov ($1.2 mil)
Korbinian Holzer ($575 mil)

= ~$5 mil for final 3 roster players mostly reserves.
Holzer is the greatest defenseman in the history of the world!

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.