HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

When the NHL cancels the season, Fehr will Fight to Repeal the Cap

Old
12-21-2012, 05:19 PM
moosehead81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
If that is the case, then they are fools. So is Fehr if he thinks a cancelled season will still see him have "tremendous unity". The union is already cracking. Just wait until no cheques will be coming.....
Did I miss something recently which indicates that the union is cracking? If this is "cracking", then I'd hate to see unity.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
Fehr was hired because the players believe he is an expert at what he does and they believe he will get them the best deal they can get. I believe they will see this through.
If you want an expert, you hire Andy Sutton.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Thrill22
Feelin' it

Does a DoI mean that the players could strike a deal on their own without Fehr's involvement?

Thrill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
moosehead81

Quote:
I tend to agree. Short careers and millions lost....not a position of strength. If the season gets cancelled, it will be back to 43%. Book it.
And there'd still be 15 teams losing a bucketfull of money.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
To what end?

Do you believe the owners will at any point agree to any plan that see's them lose more money? The players have a LOT more to lose here than the owners do. These are billionaires with other, larger, ventures who are either using the NHL as a tax shelter or an expensive diversion. The players rely on the NHL for their working wage.

Ask yourself this, if the NHL ceased to exist tomorrow, who would be worse off, the players or the owners? Of the two groups, which group is more willing to turn off the lights rather than concede to the other?

Guys like Crosby and Suter will be fine, but the majority of the NHL is full of guys like Dominic Moore. Guys making a few million at most (many league minimum) who need that money to last them the rest of their lives. Guys who know they might not even be in the NHL in a few years if their legs give out or they hurt a knee. Those guys cannot afford to miss a season, let alone two.
Agreed. That is why getting locked out and missing a season every cba needs to stop. If they capitulate they will only find themselves right back here at the end of this cba. Remember there are owners that are more than willing to pay them much more than the cap would ever allow them to make.

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Did I miss something recently which indicates that the union is cracking? If this is "cracking", then I'd hate to see unity.
Why are they afraid to put the latest offer to a vote? Because the majority will accept it. Do you honestly think guys like Belanger, Scott Thornton or Dwight King have the same view on this as the top stars of the league? Come on. These guys want to play. They are just afraid of being bullied like Hamrlik was.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:25 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Why are they afraid to put the latest offer to a vote? Because the majority will accept it. Do you honestly think guys like Belanger, Scott Thornton or Dwight King have the same view on this as the top stars of the league? Come on. These guys want to play. They are just afraid of being bullied like Hamrlik was.
And you know this how?

Old
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
And there'd still be 15 teams losing a bucketfull of money.
Not at 43%.

Old
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
The average career length for a player is 5.62 years. Why would the majority of them give up 2 years of salary to get rid of a system (the salary cap) that saw them earn more money than ever before?
It wasn't the cap that made that possible.

It was linkage.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
And you know this how?
The same way you know they are tremendous brothers in arms.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Fehr was hired because the players believe he is an expert at what he does and they believe he will get them the best deal they can get. I believe they will see this through.
I agree. I think they will follow Fehr right into the abyss. Then over time, they'll look back and realize how much money they threw away by not settling quickly and be pissed.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
It wasn't the cap that made that possible.

It was linkage.
And a rising cap floor that rose faster than the ceiling.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill22 View Post
Does a DoI mean that the players could strike a deal on their own without Fehr's involvement?
No. If it is accepted and the union disbands, it means they can't do anything together. They have to do all of their contracting as individuals.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I agree. I think they will follow Fehr right into the abyss. Then over time, they'll look back and realize how much money they threw away by not settling quickly and be pissed.
Just like last time with Goodenow.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
No. If it is accepted and the union disbands, it means they can't do anything together. They have to do all of their contracting as individuals.
Good luck with that. No more multi year deals and guarantees.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:30 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Be pretty funny if a bunch of players go sign contracts with NHL teams outside of the union heh. (yes, i'm joking)

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

Quote:
Thanks, I was under the impression a DoI would mean that they would still be a union, just without a "leader" and that the Decert was actually dissolving the union

Thrill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:36 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Thanks, I was under the impression a DoI would mean that they would still be a union, just without a "leader" and that the Decert was actually dissolving the union
No, DoI is the union saying "We do not represent you anymore" the Decert is the players saying "We do not want you representing us anymore".

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Good luck with that. No more multi year deals and guarantees.
That's not true. They will negotiate those terms and owners who want to win will give them to them. I would love it if the union disbanded.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Well, if it disbands, a number of players will immediately file anti trust suits against the league. I'm sure the papers are already drawn up and ready to file the day after.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Well, if it disbands, a number of players will immediately file anti trust suits against the league. I'm sure the papers are already drawn up and ready to file the day after.
I hope so! This saga is much more compelling that Bettman's Parity League. I hope it goes on for years! When its over I won't have anything to watch.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
I hope so! This saga is much more compelling that Bettman's Parity League. I hope it goes on for years! When its over I won't have anything to watch.
schminksbro I just like to say its nice having another pro player poster on here. Captain Bob and I are swamped.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
schminksbro I just like to say its nice having another pro player poster on here. Captain Bob and I are swamped.
LOL, I agree but I don't think we have put a dent in all the anti union dogma around here We must be the only non billionaire members.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:57 PM
habfan1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Uh, no. With the lack of a CBA, whether a contract is guaranteed depends on what is agreed between a team and the player. And even if players opt for a non-guaranteed contract, they could still get a nest egg for themselves by asking for bonus money up front.
Sure, asking for some up front cash and maybe no trade clause too. After this fiasco,unless you are elite you are not getting anything.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Sure, asking for some up front cash and maybe no trade clause too. After this fiasco,unless you are elite you are not getting anything.
Not true. Owners that want to win will drive up the bid on all players.