HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Exhibition • Dec. 22 • Finland vs. United States • 6:10 AM ET • 12:10 CET • 13:10 EET

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 500
Exhibition • Dec. 22 • Finland vs. United States • 6:10 AM ET • 12:10 CET • 13:10 EET

Streams
http://nutjob.eu/njtvx17.html[/url]

Finland
22 Miikka Salomäki (A) — 11 Markus Granlund — 10 Joel Armia
25 Henrik Haapala — 16 Aleksander Barkov — 28 Artturi Lehtonen
19 Teuvo Teräväinen — 15 Miro Aaltonen — 45 Ville Järveläinen
46 Thomas Nykopp — 29 Robert Leino — 13 Markus Hännikäinen
14 Matti Lamberg
23 Saku Salminen

2 Olli Määttä (A) — 5 Rasmus Ristolainen
4 Petteri Lindbohm (C) — 12 Ville Pokka
38 Juuso Vainio — 9 Juuso Riikola
18 Esa Lindell
55 Henri Auvinen

1 Joonas Korpisalo (start)
30 Janne Juvonen
31 Eetu Laurikainen

United States
13 Johnny Gaudreau — 10 J.T. Miller — 23 Rocco Grimaldi
15 Alex Galchenyuk — 25 Vince Trocheck — 16 Riley Barber
20 Blake Pietila — 18 Cole Bardreau — 21 Ryan Hartman
32 Stefan Matteau — 7 Sean Kuraly — 22 Tyler Biggs
12 Mario Lucia
26 Jimmy Vesey

6 Mike Reilly — 3 Seth Jones
14 Shayne Gostbehere — 8 Jacob Trouba
19 Jake McCabe — 5 Connor Murphy
24 Matt Grzelcyk
27 Patrick Sieloff
28 Brady Skjei

1 Jon Gillies
29 Garret Sparks
35 John Gibson

Last edited by Systemfel: 12-22-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old
12-21-2012, 03:50 PM
thomast

Team Finland lineups for tomorrow:
Salomäki-Granlund-Armia
Haapala-Barkov-Lehkonen
Teräväinen-Aaltonen-Järveläinen
Nykopp-Leino-Hännikäinen
Lamberg

Määttä-Ristolainen
Lindbohm-Pokka
Vainio-Riikola
Lindell-Auvinen

Starting goaltender:

Joonas Korpisalo

Resting player:

Saku Salminen

Old
12-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Loffer

Interesting to see Barkov in the mix. He should make a case for himself...

Old
12-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Team Finland lineups for tomorrow:
Salomäki-Granlund-Armia
Haapala-Barkov-Lehkonen
Teräväinen-Aaltonen-Järveläinen
Nykopp-Leino-Hännikäinen
Lamberg

Määttä-Ristolainen
Lindbohm-Pokka
Vainio-Riikola
Lindell-Auvinen

Starting goaltender:

Joonas Korpisalo

Resting player:

Saku Salminen
Is this confirmed? So we're looking at Finland's Ateam now?

Old
12-21-2012, 04:05 PM
ToBBa

That 3rd line is terribly small.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Canada4Gold

Finland 5-2. Finland's got a good team, will suprise this year. I expect them to medal

Old
12-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Lessy

Curious to see who the American's dress because that's a loaded Finn team. I'm guessing Finland would be the favourites for this one?

Old
12-21-2012, 06:05 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Finland does have an impressive squad. Hope this is a good one.

12-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

4-3 usa

Old
12-21-2012, 06:13 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Curious to see who the American's dress because that's a loaded Finn team. I'm guessing Finland would be the favourites for this one?
i am very interested in who they dress for this game. You would think that they would want all their starts to play to get chemistry and get back into game shape but USA also has more cuts to make. It is going to be an interesting decision. I wonder if Gibson will start

Old
12-21-2012, 06:25 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Could go either way. I hope its a tight game but both teams have lots of scoring power and if either one of the teams is not ready or has a shaky goaltending it could get ugly.

Old
12-21-2012, 06:30 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Anyone know what time they'll be playing this on NHL network tomorrow?

Old
12-21-2012, 06:44 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Anyone know what time they'll be playing this on NHL network tomorrow?
It's on live and 1PM.

Old
12-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Might try and catch this as I haven't seen USA play but may be an inopportune time for me.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:27 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
Finland 5-2. Finland's got a good team, will suprise this year. I expect them to medal
I actually think it will be the USA that is the surprise this year they have alot of offensive talent and very quick defense I think they will medal this year.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I actually think it will be the USA that is the surprise this year they have alot of offensive talent and very quick defense I think they will medal this year.
I have the US in the top 3. I think the consensus is Canada and Russia, then USA and Sweden, then Finland, then the Czechs.

USA should challenge for a medal definately, I kinda feel like Finland are being underrated though, and will probably jump into that top 3.

This year is really close, any of the top 5 teams could medal without shocking too many people, the Czech's are right there as well. You gotta think Canada will get a medal(whatever the color) but after that I wouldn't be betting on any 2 teams to be there, it's that close

Old
12-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
I think the consensus is Canada and Russia, then USA and Sweden, then Finland, then the Czechs.
That consensus is ill informed. I've seen many people actually post that all three will medal. Even if they are the best 3 teams, it doesn't mean they will all medal. 3 teams from the same pool have only all gotten a medal in one tournament out of 17 since the medal round came into play. The top team from the other pool will be rested for the semifinal and even if they lose, they will still be relatively rested for the bronze medal match. Unless the third place team beats the first in the semifinal in our pool, the opponent of the rested other pool winner will be playing their third game in four nights and it will be the early one to boot. It is very difficult to have all 3 from one pool medal.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
That consensus is ill informed. I've seen many people actually post that all three will medal. Even if they are the best 3 teams, it doesn't mean they will all medal. 3 teams from the same pool have only all gotten a medal in one tournament out of 17 since the medal round came into play. The top team from the other pool will be rested for the semifinal and even if they lose, they will still be relatively rested for the bronze medal match. Unless the third place team beats the first in the semifinal in our pool, the opponent of the rested other pool winner will be playing their third game in four nights and it will be the early one to boot. It is very difficult to have all 3 from one pool medal.
It'll be real interesting.

The consensus favorites are Russia and Canada, but US, Sweden, and Finland are bringing very underestimated squads to UFA. Because Russia, US, and Canada are all in the same pool, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. This US team has the makings of a good underdog story, they've got a solid, quick, and feisty checking line, some size for their third line, and a skilled and underrated top six. Goaltending and defense is pretty strong too.

That and the U.S. is a better team without expectations. Last year, the expectations were so high, this year all they have to do is go out there, play their game, and focus on proving the doubters wrong.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I may have misworded myself. What I was trying to say was the consensus was Canada and Russia as the top 2 in any order, then the USA and Sweden at 3 and 4 in any order. I was not saying USA being better than Sweden.

I worded it Canada and Russia, then USA and SWeden. Had I mean USA was ahead of SWeden I would have said Canada and Russia, then USA, then Sweden the way I said it with finland and Czech, then Finland, the the Czechs.

Bad wording on my part but I meant.

1. Canada/Russia
3. USA/Sweden
5. Finland
6. Czechs

Also I don't mean that's who I think the consensus for medals are, that's who the consensus is in terms of which teams are better. I know Canada/Russia/USA are int he same pool so all medaling will be tough. But if it turns out those were the best teams they should be the 3 teams than medal.

I also went on to say later in my post that the teams are so close that anyone could medal so that implied that that part of my post you're refering to wasn't talking about who was gonna medal. I think Canada will medal, after that I wouldn't be shocked with anyone outside of the bottom 4 teams. For the record I think it'll be 1. Canada, 2. Russia, 3. Finland for the medals.

Anyway that's kinda really off topic here so back to the game, I still got Finland winning it

Old
12-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

What determines the pools -- is it the rankings from last year? Wondering why 3 really strong teams are all in the same pool.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBBa View Post
That 3rd line is terribly small.
The original plan was for everyone to go to Euro Disney if Finland won the tournament, but Järveläinen is too short to ride any of the rides.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
What determines the pools -- is it the rankings from last year? Wondering why 3 really strong teams are all in the same pool.
Hard to explain through writing on here but it seems the gold and silver medal winners are separated the following year. (Sweden and Russia last year, now in different groups, Canada and USA in 2010, and in 2011 were in different groups) The bronze winner goes to the group with the team that won the silver the previous year. (In 2011 the US won the Bronze, and in 2012 they were back in Canadas group who won silver in 2011, Last year Canada won the bronze and now is in Russias group that won silver last year). the rest just follows suit, 4th place, 5th place. They just bounce from group A and B in order after that. I just saw that based on the parings this year and traced back to who won gold through bronze the previous years. Sorry if wrong.

Last edited by Cfriss216: 12-21-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old
12-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Cfriss216

So I think if the US finished one spot better than they did last year they would have been slotted the other pool and took the 6th place teams spot, or whatever seed was in front of where the US finished last year. I think we finished 7th.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
So I think if the US finished one spot better than they did last year they would have been slotted the other pool and took the 6th place teams spot, or whatever seed was in front of where the US finished last year. I think we finished 7th.
if you finished 1 spot better last year you would have made the quarters, and had a shot at a medal.

Probably would have been better to finish 8th or 9th on the relegation side to get the easier pool this year

Yes that is how the pools are decided btw.

1/4/5/8/9
2/3/6/7/Promoted from G1A

Old
12-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Hard to explain through writing on here but it seems the gold and silver medal winners are separated the following year. (Sweden and Russia last year, now in different groups, Canada and USA in 2010, and in 2011 were in different groups) The bronze winner goes to the group with the team that won the silver the previous year. (In 2011 the US won the Bronze, and in 2012 they were back in Canadas group who won silver in 2011, Last year Canada won the bronze and now is in Russias group that won silver last year). the rest just follows suit, 4th place, 5th place. They just bounce from group A and B in order after that. I just saw that based on the parings this year and traced back to who won gold through bronze the previous years. Sorry if wrong.
That's a really long post for this: Last year's standings determines this year's seedings. Pool A gets 1, 4, 5, 8 and 9. Pool B gets 2, 3, 6, 7 and the promoted team from Div I.

Closed Thread