HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXVI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
  #451
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
I don't think I've changed anything I started with Volchenkov is a NHL defenseman and the Devils don't need to buy him out and I think the numbers bear that out.
Not you. I dunno bout the numbers thing but at least you formulated a thought better than a 2nd grader could muster.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:33 AM
  #452
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Not you. I dunno bout the numbers thing but at least you formulated a thought better than a 2nd grader could muster.
Ah, ok. The "you" confused me.

Devils731 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:33 AM
  #453
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
I don't think I've changed anything I started with Volchenkov is a NHL defenseman and the Devils don't need to buy him out and I think the numbers bear that out.
He is a NHL d-men, no one is saying otherwise... just not at the price we are paying him atm and especially not when we seem to be tight money wise.

When you're broke, you have to spend wisely and not throw cash around like it's no one's business. Every penny is important and if we have to cut some cash somewhere, A-Train is the likely candidate... not because he's AHL caliber but because he's just not worth all the $$$ we'll be throwing his way for the remainder of his term when we have a glaring need at the forward positions, a surplus of d-men already as it is and a couple of up and coming prospects (Merrill, Larsson, Urbom, Gélinas, etc) on the way as well.

It's just smart business more then anything else IMO.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:34 AM
  #454
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,563
vCash: 500
I like your work. I miss these threads.

Wasn't ready for the gunfight that I entered into wielding a club is all. Mainboards making me soft.

Some tweet said the Jets are hosting the Senators January 19th at 1 PM.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:36 AM
  #455
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
He is a NHL d-men, no one is saying otherwise... just not at the price we are paying him atm and especially not when we seem to be tight money wise.

When you're broke, you have to spend wisely and not throw cash around like it's no one's business. Every penny is important and if we have to cut some cash somewhere, A-Train is the likely candidate... not because he's AHL caliber but because he's just not worth all the $$$ we'll be throwing his way for the remainder of his term when we have a surplus of d-men already as it is and a couple of up and coming prospects on the way as well.

It's just smart business more then anything else IMO.
If money is tight and an issue, the Devils can't afford the real cash to buy out Volchenkov and pay everyone else up to the cap limit.

I think the Devils would only buy Volchenkov out if they don't feel money or the business of the team is that important. The buyout is throwing extra money away when you're paying off a viable asset to leave.

Devils731 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:41 AM
  #456
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,563
vCash: 500
That's a good point. Touche on that one. I dunno how the actual cash is going to effect things.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:42 AM
  #457
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
If money is tight and an issue, the Devils can't afford the real cash to buy out Volchenkov and pay everyone else up to the cap limit.

I think the Devils would only buy Volchenkov out if they don't feel money or the business of the team is that important. The buyout is throwing extra money away when you're paying off a viable asset to leave.
Buyouts are there to minise the impact of paying top dollars for the remaining lenght of the contract that was given to him a couple of years ago. It's just a way to soften the blow short term and help you save some coin over the spand of the term. It's not as if we wouldn't have to pay him anymore but it'll give us more flexibility to land someone we'll actually utilise, most probably on offense, instead of keeping 8 d-men while being real thin up front.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
  #458
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,219
vCash: 500
The Volchenkov argumemnts summed up, for the past 2 years:


Wingman77 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
  #459
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Buyouts are there to minise the impact of paying top dollars for the remaining lenght of the contract that was given to him a couple of years ago. It's just a way to soften the blow short term and help you save some coin over the spand of the term. It's not as if we wouldn't have to pay him anymore but it'll give us more flexibility to land someone we'll actually utilise, most probably on offense, instead of keeping 8 d-men while being real thin up front.
It doesn't save the Devils real dollars if they need to pay Volchenkov $3 million and a new player $4.25 million next season, the Devils spend $3 million dollars more in that scenario.

The blow isn't softened short term, it hurts your short term. The buyout helps your cap, but it hurts your wallet, if you plan to spend near the cap max.

Devils731 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
  #460
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
The Volchenkov argumemnts summed up, for the past 2 years:

Just like the Colin White argument... wich saw him get bought out despite all the flack I got from it?


DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:52 AM
  #461
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Just like the Colin White argument... wich saw him get bought out despite all the flack I got from it?

Well when you wanted him bought out, our defense was pretty damn weak so letting him lose wasn't going to exactly help things, even despite how he had steadily began to decline

Volchenkov is a better defensemen than White ever was

Wingman77 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:52 AM
  #462
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
It doesn't save the Devils real dollars if they need to pay Volchenkov $3 million and a new player $4.25 million next season, the Devils spend $3 million dollars more in that scenario.

The blow isn't softened short term, it hurts your short term. The buyout helps your cap, but it hurts your wallet, if you plan to spend near the cap max.
True.

I don't think his actual cap hit would be around 3M$ per if he were to be bought out but your point about actual dollars is solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Well when you wanted him bought out, our defense was pretty damn weak so letting him lose wasn't going to exactly help things, even despite how he had steadily began to decline

Volchenkov is a better defensemen than White ever was
Maybe so, but what he gave us for the money we were spending on him kind of equals the ratio that Volchenkov is giving us atm... but once again, that's just my pov. Like I said a week ago, A-Train reminds me alot of Douglas Murray, but we are paying twice that for roughly the same type of player. Defensive d-men who have negative skills with the puck aren't worth the money we keep throwing at them but for some reason Lou thinks we're stuck in the 1990's and the same can be said for the goons he brings in year after year.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  #463
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,563
vCash: 500
Real question because I don't care enough to follow:

Murphy. What happened to that prospect?

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:06 PM
  #464
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Maybe so, but what he gave us for the money we were spending on him kind of equals the ratio that Volchenkov is giving us atm... but once again, that's just my pov. Like I said a week ago, A-Train reminds me alot of Douglas Murray, but we are paying twice that for roughly the same type of player. Defensive d-men who have negative skills with the puck aren't worth the money we keep throwing at them but for some reason Lou thinks we're stuck in the 1990's and the same can be said for the goons he brings in year after year.
Nah c'mon man you're better than that, Doug Murray? The guy can barely skate and I never realized how bad until I saw him against us last year 5 rows from the glass, it was painful

Volchenkov has some skating ability and despite what many like to give him credit for, he is better with the puck than a lot like to give him credit for and we saw that from him this season as he was healthy more frequently than the year prior - I'll give you he is scary along the boards and corners at times with the puck......and then you have the warrior and physical factor that you can not find in a lot of players at all, willing to dive or jump in front of a shot or that can throw that huge momentum changing hit - it was something this team lacked greatly for years

Obviously you don't view Volchenkov in the same light so I'll leave it at that, because I don't feel like jumping in that circular argument further

Wingman77 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
  #465
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
buying out volchenkov would cost us money. We would have to pay him every dollar owed, plus a player to replace him on the roster. Money issues are a scapegoat reason.

apice3* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
  #466
onefatsurfer
I speak in code
 
onefatsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 500
Volch was brought here in part to make our PK better. We should absolutely buy him out after the miserable PK we had last year!

onefatsurfer is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
  #467
VaxjoDevil
Registered User
 
VaxjoDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Princeton, NJ
Country: Sweden
Posts: 7,964
vCash: 500
Volch was the playoff guy. Until the playoffs started. That Florida series was awful.

VaxjoDevil is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
  #468
DatBoyJPP
Good Night
 
DatBoyJPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blairstown
Country: United States
Posts: 18,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Just like the Colin White argument... wich saw him get bought out despite all the flack I got from it?

2 completely different situations

DatBoyJPP is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  #469
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
That Florida series was awful.
ugh dont remind me

MartyOwns is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:40 PM
  #470
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Volch was the playoff guy. Until the playoffs started. That Florida series was awful.
goodness gracious.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:40 PM
  #471
HeliDevil
Legendary
 
HeliDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,305
vCash: 500
The definition of a cone in that series.

HeliDevil is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
  #472
onefatsurfer
I speak in code
 
onefatsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 500
we should definitely get rid of him. god what a waste of a player. nevermind that we made the finals

onefatsurfer is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
  #473
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,563
vCash: 500
He definitely carried us to the finals.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:46 PM
  #474
onefatsurfer
I speak in code
 
onefatsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 500
he played his part.

onefatsurfer is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:46 PM
  #475
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,563
vCash: 500
Jesus the tweet about the player saying the NHL is hiding money from them is ridiculous. I'm not convinced Beatlejuice doesn't throw another wrench into this thing before the season gets fried.

holy crap you're fast.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.