Old
01-13-2013, 04:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I don't get it?
It's the LPH newspaper pages from the first Mighty Ducks film.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Good luck. As a smoker, I know how hard it's to try and quit it.

In fact, I think I got an infraction & a warning the last time I tried it.

Going for a smoke now. I wish I had your dedication.
You were uh...you were.... you were something when you tried to quit last time.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
You were uh...you were.... you were something when you tried to quit last time.
If it was enough to make you stutter, I rest my case.

01-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Tartan
Sweet Dreams

What would you Fins say is the biggest social problem in your country?

Old
01-13-2013, 05:55 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Old
01-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
GOAT gif.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Depression, by far. The suicide rates are really high. Alcohol obviously contributes to the problem, and so do the dark, long, cold winters. But they don't explain it all. With the global depression, the amount of jobs is steadily dropping and that results in a lot of people losing their jobs because companies are steadily cutting on fees to survive, or just out of pure greed. Finland is a very expensive country to live in. Fuel costs €1.65/liter, milk costs 1€/liter and finding a decent flat in Greater Helsinki area (Helsinki/Espoo/Vantaa/Kauniainen) for an affordable cost is nigh-impossible. Needless to say, the city-owned flats are cheaper but they have something like a 3-year waiting list.

Of course, we're not a poor country, but we're not as well off as we used to be in the early-mid noughties. Our biggest exports have traditionally been lumber, shipyards and IT. Nokia's downfall has had a disastrous effect on our national economy, and with the lumber industry slowly dying and the state-owned companies forced to cut employees, that only leaves our trusty shipbuilders... Who are slowly but surely being either sold abroad or dying off. It's not looking bright.

The tax rates are on the rise, the government just increased the VAT to 24% and increased the taxing on various consumables, such as fuel, candy, cigarettes and alcohol last year.

Why is all this relevant? Well, the economical disparity is rapidly rising between the unemployed or working class and the middle class. While it hasn't been a big problem in Finland for ages, the so-called "herraviha" (hatred towards upper classes/bosses) is again showing it's head. Perussuomalaiset (True Finns), a right-wing, heavily popularistic party received a dramatic rise on votes during the 2008 general election, mainly thanks to their negative views towards EU and immigration, among other things. Finns like to think of themselves as largely individual and independent, and thus capable of surviving on their own. The large amounts of money lend to the "crisis countries" such as Greece (twice!), Ireland, Portugal and Iceland has dramatically reduced EU:s support in Finland. Many Finns want themselves out of the Union and bring back our own currency, Markka (FIM).

Immigration is a very sensitive issue and I wouldn't like to address it very deeply, but there are people who believe that immigrants (both legal and illegal) are causing an unnecessary amount of trouble in our society. A large amount of immigrants remain unemployed, despite the so-called "positive discrimination"-policy* and social integration. There's also a social gap between Finno-Swedes (Swedish speaking Finns) and other Finns. Finno-Swedes are largely seen as elitist, rich and are often targets of jokes as well as actual verbal abuse and discrimination from other Finns. Whether this is justified or not remains a reader's decision, as I wouldn't like to express my personal thoughts on either of these subjects.

Youth unemployment is also on the rise, which caused some dispute and disparity in the younger population.

To summarize: Unemployment and high tax rates lead to economical disparity and financial troubles for many Finns. This, unfortunately, boosts problems such as alcoholism and depression, which both lead to many people sadly deciding they would be better off killing themselves. A high suicide rate, in other words.

*Positive discrimination in Finland: City of Helsinki has openly admitted to having a policy where they would hire an immigrant over a Finn in a situation where their qualifications are same or similar. Law schools and medical schools also have a certain quota reserved to Swedish-speaking Finns due to the need for Swedish-speaking doctors and lawyers, especially in the Swedish-speaking parts of the country (Western Finland, Åland and some parts of Southern and Southeastern Finland). This has lead to many protests and public disagreements, especially from younger Finns, who feel that they're being treated unfairly.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:37 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Sounds like where the US is heading, and has been heading since about 2004.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:47 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

That's why I love Canada !

Old
01-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It's the LPH newspaper pages from the first Mighty Ducks film.
Thank.. I mean I recognized it was from the Might Ducks movie, but I didn't catch what was so cool about it. I guess I thought there was some connection to the current team that I was missing. But if it was just the posting of that old movie stuff ok.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Quote:
*Positive discrimination in Finland: City of Helsinki has openly admitted to having a policy where they would hire an immigrant over a Finn in a situation where their qualifications are same or similar. Law schools and medical schools also have a certain quota reserved to Swedish-speaking Finns due to the need for Swedish-speaking doctors and lawyers, especially in the Swedish-speaking parts of the country (Western Finland, Åland and some parts of Southern and Southeastern Finland). This has lead to many protests and public disagreements, especially from younger Finns, who feel that they're being treated unfairly.
Helsinki does that? That sounds really.. unfair.

-------

The town I currently live in has problems with its economy as well, because of Nokia firing people. There was a big Nokia factory here in Oulu, and there worked 2500 people at best. In August there was 500 people left.

Then also Accenture closed their business here (they developed Nokia phones) and fired 140 people. So yeah, Oulu is like a small version of the entire country.

Last edited by Lapa: 01-13-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Helsinki does that? That sounds really.. wrong.
Yep. Page 3. And that's an official document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
The town I currently live in has problems with its economy as well, because of Nokia firing people. There was a big Nokia factory here in Oulu, and there worked 2500 people at best. In August there was 500 people left.

Then also Accenture closed their business here (they developed Nokia phones) and fired 140 people. So yeah, Oulu is like a small version of the entire country.
Oh yes, Oulu and Salo were probably hit worst by Nokia's downfall.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Quote:
Oh yes, Oulu and Salo were probably hit worst by Nokia's downfall.
Yeah, I think I read somewhere that Oulu has the weakest economy of all the bigger cities in Finland.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:36 AM
TheeNorthStar

First day of Spring Semester today.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:48 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoezIt View Post
First day of Spring Semester today.
Mine was last week. First day of class since April of 2012. Homework hasn't been too bad, thankfully, but I need some adjustment time. That's for sure

Old
01-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Wild48
Our Savior

I got an email this morning from the hockey lodge. Wild Wednesday sale will not apply to online orders

Old
01-14-2013, 08:57 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
I got an email this morning from the hockey lodge. Wild Wednesday sale will not apply to online orders
Thats stupid. So everyone outside of the cities is ignored.

Oh well.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Thats stupid. So everyone outside of the cities is ignored.

Oh well.
They did mention a sale for online orders was coming when they hit 500 likes on facebook

Old
01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
hirawl
Used Register

vCash: 400
Quote:
All I know is that I can't get it in Finland.

And finally, after 1,5 years of being a relatively active HF member, I decided to show my support by becoming a sponsor.

Mainly just so I can change my username back, but hey.
You can get it through Viaplay.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Tuomaz

I guess I have to buy Viaplay too..

Old
01-14-2013, 10:28 AM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
What is social?

Old
01-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Depression, by far. The suicide rates are really high. Alcohol obviously contributes to the problem, and so do the dark, long, cold winters. But they don't explain it all. With the global depression, the amount of jobs is steadily dropping and that results in a lot of people losing their jobs because companies are steadily cutting on fees to survive, or just out of pure greed. Finland is a very expensive country to live in. Fuel costs €1.65/liter, milk costs 1€/liter and finding a decent flat in Greater Helsinki area (Helsinki/Espoo/Vantaa/Kauniainen) for an affordable cost is nigh-impossible. Needless to say, the city-owned flats are cheaper but they have something like a 3-year waiting list.

Of course, we're not a poor country, but we're not as well off as we used to be in the early-mid noughties. Our biggest exports have traditionally been lumber, shipyards and IT. Nokia's downfall has had a disastrous effect on our national economy, and with the lumber industry slowly dying and the state-owned companies forced to cut employees, that only leaves our trusty shipbuilders... Who are slowly but surely being either sold abroad or dying off. It's not looking bright.

The tax rates are on the rise, the government just increased the VAT to 24% and increased the taxing on various consumables, such as fuel, candy, cigarettes and alcohol last year.

Why is all this relevant? Well, the economical disparity is rapidly rising between the unemployed or working class and the middle class. While it hasn't been a big problem in Finland for ages, the so-called "herraviha" (hatred towards upper classes/bosses) is again showing it's head. Perussuomalaiset (True Finns), a right-wing, heavily popularistic party received a dramatic rise on votes during the 2008 general election, mainly thanks to their negative views towards EU and immigration, among other things. Finns like to think of themselves as largely individual and independent, and thus capable of surviving on their own. The large amounts of money lend to the "crisis countries" such as Greece (twice!), Ireland, Portugal and Iceland has dramatically reduced EU:s support in Finland. Many Finns want themselves out of the Union and bring back our own currency, Markka (FIM).

Immigration is a very sensitive issue and I wouldn't like to address it very deeply, but there are people who believe that immigrants (both legal and illegal) are causing an unnecessary amount of trouble in our society. A large amount of immigrants remain unemployed, despite the so-called "positive discrimination"-policy* and social integration. There's also a social gap between Finno-Swedes (Swedish speaking Finns) and other Finns. Finno-Swedes are largely seen as elitist, rich and are often targets of jokes as well as actual verbal abuse and discrimination from other Finns. Whether this is justified or not remains a reader's decision, as I wouldn't like to express my personal thoughts on either of these subjects.

Youth unemployment is also on the rise, which caused some dispute and disparity in the younger population.

To summarize: Unemployment and high tax rates lead to economical disparity and financial troubles for many Finns. This, unfortunately, boosts problems such as alcoholism and depression, which both lead to many people sadly deciding they would be better off killing themselves. A high suicide rate, in other words.

B- While you were able to put together solid facts and reasoning, it was slightly opinionated and you didn't cite your sources.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Finally broke the seal and got my first goal of the season last night. Ten games, 51 shots, and my 11th shot of the game. Quick wrister high glove using a couple defenders as a screen.

Loving the new hockey stick too. Miken Z9. I want moderately cold weather and smooth ice to play with it this week!

Old
01-14-2013, 11:03 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Ya, I'm all about playing with sticks in moderately cold weather.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
01-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 0

Closed Thread