All Purpose Tennis Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

vCash: 500
All Purpose Tennis Thread IV

The Mubadala exhibition begins December 27.

The first Brisbane main draw matches will be on December 30.

Last edited by Deficient Mode: 12-21-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old
12-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Nadal hopes to be back in form by Indian Wells or Miami

Old
12-24-2012, 06:02 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Almost here folks

Old
12-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rafael-...3629--ten.html

Quote:
MADRID (AP) -- Rafael Nadal's return to competition has been delayed by a stomach virus.

The Spaniard was scheduled to play in an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi on Thursday after missing seven months because of tendinitis in his left knee. But he said on his Facebook page Tuesday that his doctors ordered him to pull out when he was running a fever, telling him his body needed rest.

''My rehab has gone well, my knee feels good and I was looking forward to competing,'' he said.

Old
12-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Abu Dhabi doesn't matter ix. It's just a big pay check. It's a wise move for him to drop it since it's just an exhibition and since he would have looked like a hypocrite complaining about the number of hard court events while playing additional non-mandatory matches on hard courts. It certainly doesn't signal that he isn't at full health right now.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:33 AM
MsWoof

Rafa pulled out with a stomach virus and won't return till end of February. I think it's BS, 2 months to get over a virus? Gotta be his knee.

Last edited by MsWoof: 12-28-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old
12-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Rafa pulled out with a stomach virus and won't return till end of February. I think it's BS, 2 months to get over a virus? Gotta be his knee.
How many times is this he has postponed his return? If I recall it went from out for the Olympics, to out before the US Open, to out for the Open, to out for the WTF, to out for Davis Cup final, to out for Abu Dhabi, and now this. I wonder if this was his plan all along - to skip all the non-clay events - or maybe he still lacks confidence.

Regardless, it seems ridiculous that he would know two and a half weeks in advance that he'll still be affected by the virus. This should just about guarantee that he'll drop out of the top four too.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Tuggy

Yes, Ferrer will be #4 very soon.

Genie Bouchard will be playing her first tournament of the season in New Zealand. I'm curious to see how she fares in her first full pro season.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

So now that Rafa is out, let's see who's luckier... Roger or Novak. Whoever gets Murray in their half, they will have to play two tough matches, if they get to that point.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
How many times is this he has postponed his return? If I recall it went from out for the Olympics, to out before the US Open, to out for the Open, to out for the WTF, to out for Davis Cup final, to out for Abu Dhabi, and now this. I wonder if this was his plan all along - to skip all the non-clay events - or maybe he still lacks confidence.

Regardless, it seems ridiculous that he would know two and a half weeks in advance that he'll still be affected by the virus. This should just about guarantee that he'll drop out of the top four too.
yup, that's exactly it, he just likes to mess with the world and blow everything out of proportion to skip all the tournaments until the 1st clay event of the season arrives, this has been his plan all along....

ahhhh so many emoticons to choose from

Old
12-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
yup, that's exactly it, he just likes to mess with the world and blow everything out of proportion to skip all the tournaments until the 1st clay event of the season arrives
Pretty much.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
So now that Rafa is out, let's see who's luckier... Roger or Novak. Whoever gets Murray in their half, they will have to play two tough matches, if they get to that point.
Don't think Roger will win here either way, but his odds are certainly much better without Rafa around.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Question about the nets:

Is it just random that some courts have their net extending from the doubles sideline to another? Or is there a standard rule? Because I've noticed that GS courts have shorter nets:

Non-GS courts:

ATP Tour Finals

Indian Wells

Cincinnati

Madrid

Old
12-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Question about the nets:

Is it just random that some courts have their net extending from the doubles sideline to another? Or is there a standard rule? Because I've noticed that GS courts have shorter nets:
Pretty sure it's an ITF (who govern the slams and the Olympics) vs. ATP (who govern all other tournaments) thing. Here's the Beijing Olympics court:

Old
12-28-2012, 08:19 PM
kihei

vCash: 50
So many conspiracy theories to choose among. Gee. Or maybe it is just taking longer than Rafa thought it would for his knee to come around to the point that he feels confident playing on it.

Good question, Grillinnap. I never noticed that.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
So many conspiracy theories to choose among. Gee. Or maybe it is just taking longer than Rafa thought it would for his knee to come around to the point that he feels confident playing on it.
May be the case. But if you believe that, you're already choosing one "conspiracy theory"; namely, that the supposed stomach virus is a cover for the knee injury. His decisions over the past 7 months leave a lot open to speculation on several levels.

One thing is for sure: if he did want to skip the whole hard court season to preserve his knee, he wouldn't just come out and say it like that. For one thing, he would be missing many mandatory tournaments without even the veil of an excuse. Not to mention his image would probably take a hit if he blew off so many tournaments and their fans.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:56 PM
kihei

vCash: 50
Quote:
May be the case. But if you believe that, you're already choosing one "conspiracy theory"; namely, that the supposed stomach virus is a cover for the knee injury. His decisions over the past 7 months leave a lot open to speculation on several levels.

One thing is for sure: if he did want to skip the whole hard court season to preserve his knee, he wouldn't just come out and say it like that. For one thing, he would be missing many mandatory tournaments without even the veil of an excuse. Not to mention his image would probably take a hit if he blew off so many tournaments and their fans.
The virus could be a cover, but perhaps more in the sense that it gave Rafa an excuse to do what he really wanted to do and give the knee more time. I doubt it is anything more devious than that.

Glad this happened, though. If you and I don't practice arguing in the pre-season, we might not be in game shape come the new year.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
The virus could be a cover, but perhaps more in the sense that it gave Rafa an excuse to do what he really wanted to do and give the knee more time. I doubt it is anything more devious than that.

Glad this happened, though. If you and I don't practice arguing in the pre-season, we might not be in game shape come the new year.
I feel we've fallen out of form in the absence of Rafa. The vicious personal attacks and accusations of pedantry have disappeared lately. We're just a couple of toothless lions now. We need him back almost as much as the tour does.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:29 PM
17futurecap

The new live scoreboard on the ATP site is very nice.

http://www.protennislive.com/lshd/ma...pworldtour.com

Of course Donald Young wins the first match of the year, albeit in Qualies.

Last edited by 17futurecap: 12-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
The new live scoreboard on the ATP site is very nice.

http://www.protennislive.com/lshd/ma...pworldtour.com

Of course Donald Young wins the first match of the year, albeit in Qualies.

Beat Rochus, whom I rather like, too.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Pretty much.
Ok Dr. Deficient Mode

Old
12-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Tuggy

Raonic is the #2 at Brisbane (Murray #1). He gets a bye and plays the winner of Baker/Dimitrov.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Raonic is the #2 at Brisbane (Murray #1). He gets a bye and plays the winner of Baker/Dimitrov.
I haven't been paying attention. Why did Raonic swap Chennai for Brisbane? The surface in Chennai seemed to suit him much better. Was it a money issue?

Old
12-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
I haven't been paying attention. Why did Raonic swap Chennai for Brisbane? The surface in Chennai seemed to suit him much better. Was it a money issue?
Don't know the reason.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:07 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I haven't heard anything but I wonder if he wants to be better acclimated to Australia.

Closed Thread