All Purpose Tennis Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 02:19 AM
kihei

vCash: 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
I thought I was done with these late night/early morning matches when the Australian ended.
Nole's going to knock off Sam without me. I'm going to bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Theres really no reason why Gulbis cant be a top 10 player.

Good first serve.
Good returner.
Suprisingly much improve mobility and defence.
Plays the big points pretty well.

It basically all comes down to the mental side with this guy. If he can calm himself and really put in the necessary work theres no reason why he shouldnt be a problem week in week out. If guys like Gasquet and Tipsaravic can crack the top 10 then so can Gulbis with all his talent.
Agree completely, and I'd add that he's getting tactically sounder, which has been a long time coming. However, the possible road to the Top Ten will be an adventure one way or the other. He knocked off four seeded players over the past three weeks, Querrey (23), Seppi (20), Haas (19), and Tipsarevic (9), and when he is on, he can give anyone a run for their money. So, yeah, the head is the question because the talent is certainly abundantly obvious.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:07 AM
17futurecap

vCash: 500
Finally over at 1:51 local time, 4:51 for me. Easy first set for Nole, only 22 minutes. Competitive second set with an exchange of breaks early in the second. SQ was down 5-2 in the breaker, evened it at 6-6, and then Nole played an excellent two points to win the breaker 8-6.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:43 AM
kihei

Two quarterfinals today on each side:

Berdych over Anderson: Anderson's run comes to an end. Though there is a little nagging question about which Berdych shows up--the highly skilled, efficient one or the erratic, clueless one.

Nadal over Federer: It is bad luck for Nadal to have to play today, and not tomorrow, and thus have only one day for his legs to recover from the grueling match that he played last night. However, Federer against Wawrinka did nothing to inspire confidence, and Nadal's turnaround in the second set against Gulbis shows that even on hard courts his iron will remains among the strongest aspects of his game.

Vika over Caroline and Sam, who has yet to lose to Angelique, over Kerber on the women's side.

Later: Stosur withdraws before her match because of an injury to her right calf muscle.

Last edited by kihei: 03-14-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Vamos Rafa

Advantage Roger. Played a shorter match last night + more hours of rest

Old
03-14-2013, 04:02 PM
kihei

1st set: Berdych currently on serve with Anderson, 3-2. Two heavyweight hitters going toe to toe so far. If anything Anderson, who has benefitted from the high bouncing courts this week more than any other player, has been the more aggressive of the two....and remains so throughout the set....Anderson hits a pair of inopportune double faults at 5-4 and Berdych takes the set. It was more of a case of Anderson cracking in the last game than of Berdych forcefully taking the game away from him. Tomas does not reveal a whole lot of thought out there--I don't know if there is such a thing as a passive power game, but if there is, Berdych has it.

2nd set: slightly different flavour to the set as Anderson serves better but Berdych returns better, too, and has the greater control of play over all. But we get to 5-4, Tomas, and the same thing happens again, ala Raonic yesterday. As he did in the first set, Anderson tightens and the match quickly slips away to Tomas, who makes it to the semi finals where, regardless of who wins the second match today, Berdych could quite possibly face a physically vulnerable opponent.

Later: ...and now Azarenka has withdrawn as well with an ankle injury. So both Kerber and Wozniacki have walk-overs to get to the semi finals. That's a funny way to get both predictions today on the women's side wrong.

Last edited by kihei: 03-14-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 09:03 PM
kihei

An anticlimactic day could still end with a bang. I just want to enjoy this match up while we still have it.

1st set: first game is a dandy and it goes to Roger, 1-0...3-2 Fed with Roger zeroing in on Rafa's backhand almost exclusively...very even match until a series of ill-advesed approach shots by Federer gives Rafa the first break in the match, 4-3. Close as the match has been, one gets the sense that it is Roger skating on the thinner ice....Rafa consolidates with real authority, 5-3....Federer just barely holds for 4-5. The match seems fairly even on paper, but there is no single aspect of the game in which Federer is dominating and Rafa looks fresh as a daisy since he got his break...and on Rafa's fourth set point, he takes the set, 6-4. It will be a very long road back for Roger now. Not impossible, but I would have to say unlikely.

2nd set: Rafa breaks Federer at love to start the set. It is not a good feeling...Rafa gets a second break immediately, but Roger fights back valiantly and recovers one of the breaks, 3-1...and Roger throws in a scintillating game on serve to close to 3-2, still down a break....Roger presses, but Rafa stops the bleeding, 4-2...Federer gives up another break immediately for 5-2. He's hitting some nice shots occasionally but this is like watching one of those National Geographic specials on lions and wildebeests. The wildebeests might get in a few good kicks, but they don't win...and Rafa closes it out mercifully at 15, a tiny fist pump his only celebration. Nice touch of class, that.

Last edited by kihei: 03-14-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 10:07 PM
MsMeow

I am so glad I'm not home to see this match.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Nadal about to close out a dominating performance.

Nadal closes out Federer with ease. Nadal with his first high profile match since his return and he wins easily. Must be great for his confidence to defeat Federer on a hard court. On to the semis.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Vamos Rafa

19-10

Old
03-14-2013, 10:44 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
19-10
Well, it's probably going to end up 24-10 but it's not really going to mean much. Federer is now well past his prime, and he still holds an 8-7 edge on surfaces other than clay.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

well done Rafa, but Roger wasn't 100% today, of course probably could say the same about Nadal, but Feds was clearly just not in it, 30 unforced errors to Nadal's 13...

guess would have to give the edge to Berdych, but I think he is even weaker mentally then Murray, mental edge to Nadal, this could mean a lot

Old
03-14-2013, 10:50 PM
17futurecap

Not sure what to expect from Berdych/Nadal. Berdych is playing extremely well, but since that first week in Chile, Rafa seems to be back in fine form. Rafa will also have the entire crowd behind him, I'll go Rafa in 3.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:54 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
well done Rafa, but Roger wasn't 100% today, of course probably could say the same about Nadal, but Feds was clearly just not in it, 30 unforced errors to Nadal's 13...

guess would have to give the edge to Berdych, but I think he is even weaker mentally then Murray, mental edge to Nadal, this could mean a lot
Even if he loses to Berdych, it still means a lot. This says to me Rafa is back way ahead of schedule and his game is once again truly formidable. Sort of, look out world, here I come and no holds barred.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Well, it's probably going to end up 24-10 but it's not really going to mean much. Federer is now well past his prime, and he still holds an 8-7 edge on surfaces other than clay.
Rafa is the only one that beat him consistently in his (Roger's) prime. 2008 Wimbledon will always be Rafa's greatest win. Rafa has beaten Roger at Wimbledon (Roger in his prime + at a tournament he's always dominated) but Roger has never beaten Rafa at Roland Garros.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:59 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Federer's grip on world #2 is becoming quite tenuous.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Rafa is the only one that beat him consistently in his (Roger's) prime. 2008 Wimbledon will always be Rafa's greatest win. Rafa has beaten Roger at Wimbledon (Roger in his prime + at a tournament he's always dominated) but Roger has never beaten Rafa at Roland Garros.
I haven't looked at the numbers, but I have a feeling that since Nadal's 08 win at Wimbledon their head to head record is probably quite slanted in Nadal's favor regardless of surface. Its actually not as slanted as I thought, just 7-4 for Nadal.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:42 PM
kihei

Nole absolutely dismantles Tsonga in 53 minutes, 6-3, 6-1, and demonstrates why he is the best player in the world. A calm but awesome display of near perfect tennis.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:09 PM
kihei

1st set: Murray and Del Potro dead even 3-3 in a dandy so far...6-6 going to a tie breaker. Fascinating match so far. Del Potro is moving beautifully (except for vollies), winning his share of the long rallies, and Murray is really leaning into his ground strokes and first serving very well. Anybody's set to win....and Andy takes it--tremendous tie breaker as the tide turns when Murray wins a 43 stroke point. Andy's forehand was wobbly that set and in the breaker with 12 unforced errors in all, but Juan Martin's distaste for moving forward and taking the net cost him several key points both in the set and the breaker as well.

2nd set: Surprise, surprise. Del Potro takes the first 8 points of the set for 2-0...4-1 as Juan Martin continues to play sharper and more focused tennis....Murray way off the boil as though his blood sugar dropped or something. Despite consecutive double faults and a break point, he holds just barely, 4-2...and Del Potro plays flawlessly the rest of the way to take the set, 6-3. Andy never came close to challenging after he was broken in his first service game of that set.

3rd set: Andy starts badly but then holds with authority, 1-0...Juan Martin saves a break point for 1-1...a double fault and a pair of unforced errors put Murray down, 15-40, and though he recovers to deuce, another pair of unforced errors does him in, 2-1 Del Potro. Juan Martin is displaying more mental toughness than Andy at the moment which is somewhat surprising....Del Potro saves only the second break point that he's allowed this match to hold in a long, exciting game, 3-1...Andy digs another hole, love-30 and continues to be bedeviled by inopportune unforced errors, now down two breaks, 4-1. Del Potro continues to play steady tennis this set, rising to the occasion when necessary...can't imagine a comeback from two breaks down given how both are currently playing....a couple of uncharacteristic unforced errors put Juan Martin in jeopardy, but he recovers nicely and benefits from another unforced error from Andy, 5-1...and Murray double faults on match point, 6-1.

Excellent performance by Del Potro. In the second and third set, he started willfully coming to the net, and he must have won something like 80% of his points up there. In addition to the surprising volleying proficiency, his backhand showed a lot of variety and was as steady as his forehand was powerful. For Andy, the loss of concentration at the beginning of the second set just snowballed, and his game never returned to the form that he displayed in the first set.

Last edited by kihei: 03-15-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 09:43 PM
kihei

1st set: Wozniacki starts 0-4 against Kerber, gets one service break back, coughs up another one, and loses the the first set 6-2. Caroline looks in better shape, is going for more winners, but her second serve is still a liability and Kerber has been the far better player so far.

2nd set: This set starts out more of the same, Caroline going down 0-2, but she battles back and is now on serve, 3-2, and now Kerber must respond....and out of nowhere these two women play the game of the tournament, throwing everything but the kitchen sink at one another in a seventeen minute marathon that Caroline wins, great tennis; Wozniacki has boosted her aggression significantly and is trying to get to the net behind moonballs, a surprisingly effective strategy--her serve remains her Achilles heel, though, but she certainly gutted out that game...Kerber's athleticism still should carry the day, however....and Angelique holds at love, 4-4...and, hello, so does Wozniacki, 5-4...some sharp returns by Caroline and unforced errors by Kerber combine to give Wozniacki the set. Gotta say, Caroline really earned that one.

3rd set: Still Kerber's match to lose, I think....aside: why is Caroline's father still coaching her?...Caroline, continuing to go for winners (21 in all so far--a great number for her for two sets) holds at love, 1-0...and immediately gets a break to go up 2-0....and Kerber raises her game to get the break right back, 2-1...Wozniacki breaks right back at love, as Kerber suddenly is struggling to win points, 3-1...Caroline wins a moonball-based point that actually was incredibly entertaining, 35 strokes all together, and holds on the next point for 4-1...Kerber gets a very tough hold, 4-2...Wozniacki falls behind 0-30 and battles back but can't quite hold, 4-3...but Caroline plays some clever tennis and breaks right back and is now serving for the match, 5-3...tight game but Kerber ekes out the break and then holds for, 5-5; somehow she is still in the match....Caroline holds for 6-5...and Wozniacki resourcefully gets the break and goes to the finals.

Whatever you think of Caroline, she really gutted out that one. A very well deserved victory. Second best match of the tournament behind Nadal/Gulbis.

Last edited by kihei: 03-15-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 11:41 PM
kihei

Maria versus Maria. Sharapova should win this...and she gets the early break for 2-1...despite three double faults, Sharapova holds for 3-1... but it's devolving into an error prone,. mistake-filled, boring as hell match, 3-2...why does Sharapova have to play such **** tennis against not especially talented turkeys?...plowing through tedious, error-filled exchanges...Sharapova, after a service game that seemed to last three hours, holds for the set. Thank, christ. Well, that was about as much fun as a root canal.

Went to bed...Sharapova won in straight sets, so it is Wozniacki versus Sharapova in the finals.

Last edited by kihei: 03-16-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old
03-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Vamos Rafa

Rafa in!

Old
03-16-2013, 05:34 PM
kihei

Rafa in straight sets. I didn't see it, but it comes as no great surprise the way that he has been playing in the later rounds.

Nole takes the first set from Juan Martin. Djokovic is definitely not as sharp as yesterday, but from what little I saw, it looked like a fairly comfortable first set win....but, just like against Murray yesterday, Juan Martin breaks Nole's serve in the first game of the second set.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Well, I don't see Nadal beating Djoker but good on him to get to the final

Old
03-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Vamos Rafa

No final for Djoke lol.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:26 PM
MsMeow

DP!!!!! I can't believe it! I didn't see any of it but I hope he crushes Rafa tomorrow.

Closed Thread