HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Is there any way the NHL can reformat itself as a single business entity?

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2012, 08:30 PM
CpatainCanuck

vCash: 500
Is there any way the NHL can reformat itself as a single business entity?

With the NHLPA disclaimer of interest vote, and the prospect of the NHLPA being dissolved, I was wondering if there was any way for the NHL to make a corresponding move in their favour.

Would it be possible for the NHL to move in the direction of the MLS, where the league is not a collaboration of independent franchises, but instead is a single business entity with all franchises controlled by the shareholders?

The obvious advantage is that no collective bargaining is required to implement whatever payroll limitations the league wants on its franchises (especially if there is no union to bargain with). As a result the MLS will never have the kind of labour turmoil that the NHL is experiencing.

The big factor preventing this as far as I can see is that the owners of the wealthy nhl teams would be very wary of putting control of their businesses in the hands of a central office. Further concerns would be about the reduction in value of the league's more valuable franchises. However, I was wondering if a system could be created that allowed individual franchises some amount of independent control...rather like the Major Auto Companies have fairly independent subsidiaries (for example in the way that General Motors is the parent company of GMC, Pontiac, and Chevrolet).

Anyway, I thought I'd just put this out there as a conversation piece. Any thoughts?

Old
12-21-2012, 08:33 PM
nabbyfan

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1307975

Old
12-21-2012, 08:34 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Been discussed in many other threads including this one from today: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1310559

Closed Thread