HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Afino's 2012-2013 Lockout-Ending OT Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I kinda did miss work. About to end my current contract and head over to another place, so that switch-up at the start of the year feels like a nice fresh start.
I have had three straight three-day weeks between holidays and a short day-trip for the wife and I. Next week starts the two-week slag being online by 4:00 a.m. for training. Bleh.

01-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I have had three straight three-day weeks between holidays and a short day-trip for the wife and I. Next week starts the two-week slag being online by 4:00 a.m. for training. Bleh.
I LOVE chaining together short weeks. It charges my batteries up more to have that nicer work / life balance than to just take, say, a week and a half off straight.

As I keep getting more and more vacation time, eventually I hope to get something set up where I take every other Monday off in the prime summer months and spend it with the family and then maybe every Monday in December.

But this time of year... sucks. I hate January / February. Holidays are over with no other days off coming except for MLK if you work for a place that goes that route, it's dark, it's cold, blah. At least we're on the up-and-up as far as the solstice goes.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:46 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Man, you don't bike for 2 weeks, get back at it and it kicks your buns. Hopefully the ride home will be better. It also might be related to christmas cookie consumption....maybe.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Man, you don't bike for 2 weeks, get back at it and it kicks your buns. Hopefully the ride home will be better. It also might be related to christmas cookie consumption....maybe.
Doc told me to take one more week before I start running again. I'm missing it.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I LOVE chaining together short weeks. It charges my batteries up more to have that nicer work / life balance than to just take, say, a week and a half off straight.

As I keep getting more and more vacation time, eventually I hope to get something set up where I take every other Monday off in the prime summer months and spend it with the family and then maybe every Monday in December.

But this time of year... sucks. I hate January / February. Holidays are over with no other days off coming except for MLK if you work for a place that goes that route, it's dark, it's cold, blah. At least we're on the up-and-up as far as the solstice goes.
I tend to burn sick time in Jan/Feb. almost every year. I now have some... ok, I have a freakin' ton of time off and it's like cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

As a matter of fact, I did not.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:20 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I only have to work 4 days next week since I have TW coming to install cable & internet between noon and 5pm on Monday.

So, that will be 3 straight weeks for less than 5 work days for me, too.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Had the first overnight with the kids last night.

It was great.

I did get choked up when I dropped them off at their grandparents' house on the way to work.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:29 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Realized I only had 3 days on the schedule next week. Promptly added 8 hours

Old
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Clock

Quote:
I tend to burn sick time in Jan/Feb. almost every year. I now have some... ok, I have a freakin' ton of time off and it's like cash burning a hole in my pocket.
I'd love to, if I had any sick days. Qualifies as PTO over here. I have nothing to complain about work-wise, though.

Anyhow, yeah. Forget January and February.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I'd love to, if I had any sick days. Qualifies as PTO over here. I have nothing to complain about work-wise, though.

Anyhow, yeah. Forget January and February.
We don't have any separation for "sick" or "vacation" -- but taking single days isn't an issue and we typically still use the old-school moniker of "sick day".

Old
01-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
We don't have any separation for "sick" or "vacation" -- but taking single days isn't an issue and we typically still use the old-school moniker of "sick day".
We get PTO and then unlimited sick days, which sounds great in theory, but it actually has the opposite effect. Because they are unlimited, you feel really guilty using them and only use them when you are on your death bed. I took two last year. Both times, I was a puke monster.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:04 PM
AV18

Send a message via AIM to AV18
I didn't get a chance to miss work. Technically I was off the 24th, 25th, and 1st, but I was on call for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day and then had to come in to answer phones from 8pm-midnight last night. This was the first time in 10 years I haven't had off for the two weeks surrounding Christmas.

My new job is pretty generous with vacation/sick/personal/random days off, and we are encouraged to use them because they are afraid of us burning out. I just need to wait for my 6 month probation to end before I can start using my time off.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV18 View Post
I didn't get a chance to miss work. Technically I was off the 24th, 25th, and 1st, but I was on call for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day and then had to come in to answer phones from 8pm-midnight last night. This was the first time in 10 years I haven't had off for the two weeks surrounding Christmas.

My new job is pretty generous with vacation/sick/personal/random days off, and we are encouraged to use them because they are afraid of us burning out. I just need to wait for my 6 month probation to end before I can start using my time off.
I knew you had a new job, I just missed what it is that you now do.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:23 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

I've carried 9 vacation days into 2013. (unofficially - there's no policy, but it's allowed when immediate supervisor acknowledged you forwent taking it due to prior year job workload, etc.) I will use them. A week in January. 2 days in Feb., unless I save them by combining a trip to WNY with supplier visits. 2 more days hopefully in Feb or March to fly half-way cross country then drive back to East Coast.

Either way, I should have plenty left to see a SCF game in the FNC in June. Right? Right. RIGHT!!

Old
01-02-2013, 01:25 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Why hello there Heart of the Swarm Beta, don't mind if I do

Old
01-02-2013, 01:26 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I think it's something to do with answering phones.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
I've carried 9 vacation days into 2013. (unofficially - there's no policy, but it's allowed when immediate supervisor acknowledged you forwent taking it due to prior year job workload, etc.) I will use them. A week in January. 2 days in Feb., unless I save them by combining a trip to WNY with supplier visits. 2 more days hopefully in Feb or March to fly half-way cross country then drive back to East Coast.

Either way, I should have plenty left to see a SCF game in the FNC in June. Right? Right. RIGHT!!
I carried 5 days (again) which is the max we're allowed to roll. From what I hear, we're going back to having the usual "banking holidays" off again this year (the Big Six plus Presidents Day, MLK Day, Columbus Day and Veterans' Day) which, if I make it to them, would be cool. The senority bracket above mine just lost 5 PTO's as part of landing those 4 PTO's.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

My next holiday is Good Friday (3/29). It's Clock's birthday, so that's cool, but man - that is FAR away....

Old
01-02-2013, 01:41 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
I also just got an invite about a week ago, but my authenticator is on my phone, which is totally broken. They want me to scan my Drivers Licence to take it off, so I can't do that until I go to work tomorrow.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Some of the tournaments using it have been pretty good so far. I'm pretty sure they'll nerf the new Vulture Mines the Terran got though, they're way too strong right now.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

I'm using 3 vacation days at the end of the January so I'll only work 2 days that week. No real specific reason other then I haven't had more then my standard 2 days off a week since July. I was suppose to be on vacation the week of Halloween but the job change made that not happen.

I like that I can use single days at my new company. I can also carry over 3 days from the previous year. Which I had only earned 3 days from start date to end of year so needless to say I'll be carrying over a 3. Which means after I take the 3 at the end of January I still will have my full 16 days available for the rest of the year.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:46 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Potentially returning to work full time soon so I was looking at dog daycare places. $25 per dog per day. And one of the two places by us has a long wait list.

Well heck, I can do that.

So I'm thinking of opening up my own dog daycare place sometime in the future. The other places have additional services, grooming, training, boarding. I would try to focus exclusively on daycare and maybe boarding, trying to shoot for 10-15 dogs a day at $20 each with discounts if someone is bringing more than one dog. That way I could operate with only myself as staff and bring in more money than I was making as an engineer (obviously having expenses for rent, taxes, some sort of liability protection, possibly some sort of training certification, etc.).

Old
01-02-2013, 03:37 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Speaking of vacation, this guy is going to Vegas in 2.5 weeks for 7 days. This time we are going with another couple and renting a car. Should be fun, staying at Marriott time share behind Planet Holleywood.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:59 PM
AV18

Send a message via AIM to AV18
Quote:
Domestic Violence Advocate. I meet with victims and help link them with services (filing charges, getting orders of protection, court advocacy, reimbursement, counseling, housing, shelter, medical treatment, etc). We also take on-call shifts for all county hospitals to meet with DV and sexual assault victims, and help answer calls on the state and county DV hotlines. It's a lot of different work and I'm really enjoying it. I'm in a minimum of 5 different places each week, and I like the change of scenery.

Closed Thread