HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Shoalts: Jamison using US Green Cards to lure investors in Coyotes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2012, 01:08 AM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 59,828
vCash: 500
Shoalts: Jamison using US Green Cards to lure investors in Coyotes

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter

Quote:
Greg Jamison says he hopes to close the purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes in January, and while the usual doubters point out this is simply the latest in a long line of such predictions, they are giving him full marks for creativity in his hunt for investors.
This is due to Jamison’s novel but failed attempt to find investors through the Immigrant Investor Program of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Two sources familiar with his investment plans said Jamison, the former president of the NHL’s San Jose Sharks, tried to raise at least some of the $170-million (all currency U.S.) purchase price by using what is also known as the EB-5 program.
EB-5 is the official name of the visa, a conditional green card, granted by the U.S. government to wealthy immigrants in exchange for an investment of at least $1-million ($500,000 in rural or high-unemployment areas) in an American business.
But Jamison claims he is not getting any of the purchase $$s through this.

Quote:
One of the three sources familiar with Jamison’s plans is not as optimistic as Jamison the deal will close by the end of January. But the source believes Jamison does have substantial investors interested, although the pace of negotiations will have to increase if the sale is to be completed by then.
League not willing to reduce purchase price due to hundreds of millions they've lost, even though St Louis was better investment.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:02 AM
  #2
FakeKidPoker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
Bit off topic but are the people saying the Blues have never made money ever in a season correct?

Such a good history too with all the playoffs..

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:12 AM
  #3
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,190
vCash: 500
wow. who's writing this script? seth rogen? matt stone and trey parker? unbelievable. if GJ's so desperate to have been shopping this around to random wealthy foreigners then surely someone somewhere must have leaked a copy of the prospectus. i really wanna see what he's telling potential investors!

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:16 PM
  #4
JetsFlyHigh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 683
vCash: 500
I smell desperation with herbs and spices. Yum!

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:34 PM
  #5
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,448
vCash: 500
Honestly... you've gotta admire his creativity.

The EB-5 program is a great opportunity for people with US properties that they need investors for to give a lesser return, in exchange for something that they can give out at no cost (green card). If he's using it to purchase the Coyotes, good for him, it should yield a higher return to him as a result.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:57 PM
  #6
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
A Jelly Donut!?!
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Honestly... you've gotta admire his creativity.

The EB-5 program is a great opportunity for people with US properties that they need investors for to give a lesser return, in exchange for something that they can give out at no cost (green card). If he's using it to purchase the Coyotes, good for him, it should yield a higher return to him as a result.
I encourage you to read this

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...fxd*0*sfxd*0@@

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:42 PM
  #7
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 25,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
I encourage you to read this
Yes, interesting. Canadas' had a similar program for decades. Leading up to the handover of Hong Kong from the British to the Chinese, tens of 1000's took advantage of the program up here, massive real estate trading, residential & commercial, artificially hyper inflating prices in Vancouver & Toronto. Thing is with Jamison & the NHL, well, just who exactly are these people, and how does the league go about "vetting" some textile mogul or whatever from wherever? What you could wind up with is another Kokusai Green. Purportedly a resort & golf course developer out of Japan that Phil Esposito dug up from God knows, who was in fact a front for the Yakuza. Money wired from Tokyo to Tampa, the blood soaked bills then run through the Lightnings' Maytag's, then up to NYC where it was starched, pressed & bundled.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:47 PM
  #8
Twilight Sparkle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yes, interesting. Canadas' had a similar program for decades. Leading up to the handover of Hong Kong from the British to the Chinese, tens of 1000's took advantage of the program up here, massive real estate trading, residential & commercial, artificially hyper inflating prices in Vancouver & Toronto. Thing is with Jamison & the NHL, well, just who exactly are these people, and how does the league go about "vetting" some textile mogul or whatever from wherever? What you could wind up with is another Kokusai Green. Purportedly a resort & golf course developer out of Japan that Phil Esposito dug up from God knows, who was in fact a front for the Yakuza. Money wired from Tokyo to Tampa, the blood soaked bills then run through the Lightnings' Maytag's, then up to NYC where it was starched, pressed & bundled.
lolwut

Twilight Sparkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:51 PM
  #9
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 25,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
lolwut
... what, youve never heard about Mr. Green? And no, Im
not referring to the movie Reservoir Dogs, but close enough.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:02 PM
  #10
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
A Jelly Donut!?!
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,629
vCash: 500
USCIS "presumably" does all the vetting first before full entry into the program

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:08 PM
  #11
Retail1LO
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,756
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
LOL

If this is what Jamison is resorting to in order to fund his purchase of the Coyotes, this goes down as one of the biggest shams ever. Seriously, if Jamison ends up owning this team, the circus is seriously just now arriving in town. They might as well put a tent over the Coyotes rink and have clowns selling peanuts in the stands, elephants sliding about on the ice between periods, and trapeze daredevils swinging above the ice during the in-game action. Re-do the outside of the arena so the entire thing looks like a giant clown shoe. What a joke.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:12 PM
  #12
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 新香
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,296
vCash: 500
lmfao

John Spano, anyone?

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:15 PM
  #13
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
A Jelly Donut!?!
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yes, interesting. Canadas' had a similar program for decades. Leading up to the handover of Hong Kong from the British to the Chinese, tens of 1000's took advantage of the program up here, massive real estate trading, residential & commercial, artificially hyper inflating prices in Vancouver & Toronto. Thing is with Jamison & the NHL, well, just who exactly are these people, and how does the league go about "vetting" some textile mogul or whatever from wherever? What you could wind up with is another Kokusai Green. Purportedly a resort & golf course developer out of Japan that Phil Esposito dug up from God knows, who was in fact a front for the Yakuza. Money wired from Tokyo to Tampa, the blood soaked bills then run through the Lightnings' Maytag's, then up to NYC where it was starched, pressed & bundled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
lolwut
Slightly over-exaggerated but Killion's 98% on point

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:28 PM
  #14
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 25,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
USCIS "presumably" does all the vetting first before full entry into the program
Im thinkin I might hafta lockdown this thread. Just too much comedy material Im afraid.... and speaking of which, Im assuming the USCIS is US Customs & Immigration Services yes? Sounds like a real plan. Yep. Lets go rope in 170 foreigners at a million a pop and buy the Coyotes. Let USCIS worry about vetting them. If they say their good to go, thats good enough for me.... now, Im certain thats not what Jamisons doing, theres just no way, beyond ludicrous. Maybe he had some guy from, I dunno, the Balkans lets say, who wanted to drop $50M or so & move to the US. Then maybe he'd look into that program on behalf of his prospective "partner"... who may or may not be selling former Soviet era ordinances to the Palestinians & Iran; decommissioned nuclear subs & training to the Los Zetas....

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:42 PM
  #15
WildGopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
. . . Money wired from Tokyo to Tampa, the blood soaked bills then run through the Lightnings' Maytag's, then up to NYC where it was starched, pressed & bundled.
Dude, you've got a way with words. Of course, we all knew that. And you were saying some time ago, maybe with a few others here, that Jamison's been hunting for investors in the oil fields of the Middle East. Now that he's not going to be going there, he might have to start drilling for oil again in the Jobbing parking lot. This whole saga just gets more and more bizarre every week . . . or two.

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:48 PM
  #16
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
A Jelly Donut!?!
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,629
vCash: 500
US Citizenship & Immigration Services...

To present what the "vetting" process is for the EB-5 program (in relation to verifying one's investment is devoid of shadiness)

Quote:
Investment

Evidence that you have invested or are in the process of investing the amount required ($1 million or $500,000).

Evidence that the investment funds were obtained through lawful means. Evidence that the capital used was legally acquired may be demonstrated by the following:

* Foreign business registration records

* Personal and business tax returns, or other tax returns of any kind filed anywhere in the world within the previous five years

* Documents identifying any other source of money

* Certified copies of all pending civil or criminal actions and proceedings, or any private civil actions involving money judgments against the investor within the past 15 years
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:57 PM
  #17
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
What about it?

Of course, the system has it's problems... but very few are investing in the US these days. If they can sell visas for a million bucks a pop, good for them.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:13 PM
  #18
Conflicted Habs fan
Registered User
 
Conflicted Habs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,014
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Should rename the team the Pheonix greencards

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:44 PM
  #19
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Since buying the Coyotes through the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in August of 2009 for $140-million, the NHL has dropped more than $200-million on the team despite $50-million in subsidies from the suburban city of Glendale.
Wha?? How does that math add up?

If I'm reading it right, Shoalts is saying that the team has lost $250m over the last three years.

Obviously that's not correct. He must mean that $200m includes the purchase price.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:13 AM
  #20
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
Dude, you've got a way with words. Of course, we all knew that. And you were saying some time ago, maybe with a few others here, that Jamison's been hunting for investors in the oil fields of the Middle East. Now that he's not going to be going there, he might have to start drilling for oil again in the Jobbing parking lot. This whole saga just gets more and more bizarre every week . . . or two.
Is Jamison going to lure the wrong people in? Somehow I knew Bettman would be the cause of WWIII.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:43 AM
  #21
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yes, interesting. Canadas' had a similar program for decades. Leading up to the handover of Hong Kong from the British to the Chinese, tens of 1000's took advantage of the program up here, massive real estate trading, residential & commercial, artificially hyper inflating prices in Vancouver & Toronto. Thing is with Jamison & the NHL, well, just who exactly are these people, and how does the league go about "vetting" some textile mogul or whatever from wherever? What you could wind up with is another Kokusai Green. Purportedly a resort & golf course developer out of Japan that Phil Esposito dug up from God knows, who was in fact a front for the Yakuza. Money wired from Tokyo to Tampa, the blood soaked bills then run through the Lightnings' Maytag's, then up to NYC where it was starched, pressed & bundled.
This is more interesting that anything that has ever been said in a thread about the Phoenix Coyotes.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:45 AM
  #22
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 新香
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Wha?? How does that math add up?

If I'm reading it right, Shoalts is saying that the team has lost $250m over the last three years.

Obviously that's not correct. He must mean that $200m includes the purchase price.
I don't think he's saying that.

"Since buying the team" would mean the purchase price isn't included in the $200M. That figure is likely the cost to run the franchise's operations since the NHL has to bear the burden of it. Of course the Coyotes had revenues of their own so not all of that money is a loss. And from the NHL's perspective, the city's subsidy would be a revenue source for the Coyotes.

As for Killion's speculation that Jamison's incentive might attract white collar criminals - it isn't really far fetched. It's pretty common for shady businessmen to take advantage of incentives abroad to stash away money or flat out launder it. If they show they've got the cash then there might be less scrutiny as to where exactly the money is coming from and it can be spent very quickly. You know, pretty ideal for people involved in wrestling public funds, smuggling, drug trade, etc. so no doubt some of them will try to take advantage of Jamison's offer.

Although acquiring green cards has been very difficult even for would-be investors nowadays, so whether if GJ's scheme can actually be put into motion is a question mark.


Last edited by VinnyC: 12-31-2012 at 12:51 AM.
VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:01 PM
  #23
Shawa666
Registered User
 
Shawa666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Québec, Qc, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I don't think he's saying that.

"Since buying the team" would mean the purchase price isn't included in the $200M. That figure is likely the cost to run the franchise's operations since the NHL has to bear the burden of it. Of course the Coyotes had revenues of their own so not all of that money is a loss. And from the NHL's perspective, the city's subsidy would be a revenue source for the Coyotes.

As for Killion's speculation that Jamison's incentive might attract white collar criminals - it isn't really far fetched. It's pretty common for shady businessmen to take advantage of incentives abroad to stash away money or flat out launder it. If they show they've got the cash then there might be less scrutiny as to where exactly the money is coming from and it can be spent very quickly. You know, pretty ideal for people involved in wrestling public funds, smuggling, drug trade, etc. so no doubt some of them will try to take advantage of Jamison's offer.

Although acquiring green cards has been very difficult even for would-be investors nowadays, so whether if GJ's scheme can actually be put into motion is a question mark.
Spano, Boots, The still unknown partners of Esposito.

Shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:55 PM
  #24
TheLegend
Home Sweet Home!
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orbiting HFBoards
Country: United States
Posts: 4,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
Should rename the team the Pheonix greencards
Excuse me.... that should be Arizona Greencards thankyouverymuch.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
  #25
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Wha?? How does that math add up?

If I'm reading it right, Shoalts is saying that the team has lost $250m over the last three years.

Obviously that's not correct. He must mean that $200m includes the purchase price.
Yeah, that math doesn't add up. No way that team could possibly lose over $83 million per year.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.