HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

verification of gordie howe gloves

Old
12-21-2012, 09:27 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
verification of gordie howe gloves

My step grandpa who passed away a few years ago gave me gloves he said were Gordie Howe's gloves. His story was something like he played club or intramural hockey for the airforce and they went to a rink that was the home rink to Gordie Howe's minor (pro or amateur) team and he left and so he grabbed his gloves. I don't know much besides that and that's the story I remember and from what my dad told me when he gave me them 10 years or so ago. Is there any way to get them verified as his or something? It'd be awesome to know for sure they're his

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
My step grandpa who passed away a few years ago gave me gloves he said were Gordie Howe's gloves. His story was something like he played club or intramural hockey for the airforce and they went to a rink that was the home rink to Gordie Howe's minor (pro or amateur) team and he left and so he grabbed his gloves. I don't know much besides that and that's the story I remember and from what my dad told me when he gave me them 10 years or so ago. Is there any way to get them verified as his or something? It'd be awesome to know for sure they're his
Did your grandfather give them to your father while he was a kid/young?

I'd bet the only way to get them confirmed is either by asking Gordie or to submit them to Meigray to let them try to verify them. However, being such old artifacts that might be tricky although perhaps not impossible. I dont know how Meigray service works though if you're not going to sell them.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:29 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Did your grandfather give them to your father while he was a kid/young?

I'd bet the only way to get them confirmed is either by asking Gordie or to submit them to Meigray to let them try to verify them. However, being such old artifacts that might be tricky although perhaps not impossible. I dont know how Meigray service works though if you're not going to sell them.
No he gave them to me about 10 years ago and he got them a long time ago. I plan on keeping them unless they offer me a crazy stupid amount. Hmm, well I guess I just keep them and say they were his.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:22 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 613
Quote:
No he gave them to me about 10 years ago and he got them a long time ago. I plan on keeping them unless they offer me a crazy stupid amount. Hmm, well I guess I just keep them and say they were his.
Not to spoil your soup but it's not too seldom an adult gives something to a child with a little white lie with it.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:44 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Not to spoil your soup but it's not too seldom an adult gives something to a child with a little white lie with it.
That's why I'm trying to figure it out, but he also told my dad the same story.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
My step grandpa who passed away a few years ago gave me gloves he said were Gordie Howe's gloves...
Fun story, interesting piece of detective work to pursue if youd' like.... for starters, where did your Grandfather live, or was he temporarily stationed somewhere during WW2?

I assume he played or watched hockey, was at the same arena Howe played out of, ran into him or otherwise somehow acquired his gloves as per the story, so youd have to nail that down to begin with.

Gordie Howe played for the Galt Red Wings (Jr.) in 44-45, then the Omaha Knights in the old USHL for 1 season, 45-46, so if minor league, thats the spot, and I'll bet if you dig enough on the internet, you just might find a Team or Player Picture of Howe & the Knights, then you could compare the gloves youve got to the ones he's wearing. If that fails; checkout Galt. Prior to that, he played in Saskatoon.

I assume theres no markings, like his name written into the cuff or whatever? Any patches or unique markings, puck or stick marks, tape or whatever? Because if not, almost impossible to tell if they truly were Howes, as the teams issued generally the same gloves to all of the players back then. Manufacturer easily identified though, either a label or just by the design.

If you can, post a picture here of them. Might be helpful. History Detectives.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Canadiens1958

Eaton Catalogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Fun story, interesting piece of detective work to pursue if youd' like.... for starters, where did your Grandfather live, or was he temporarily stationed somewhere during WW2?

I assume he played or watched hockey, was at the same arena Howe played out of, ran into him or otherwise somehow acquired his gloves as per the story, so youd have to nail that down to begin with.

Gordie Howe played for the Galt Red Wings (Jr.) in 44-45, then the Omaha Knights in the old USHL for 1 season, 45-46, so if minor league, thats the spot, and I'll bet if you dig enough on the internet, you just might find a Team or Player Picture of Howe & the Knights, then you could compare the gloves youve got to the ones he's wearing. If that fails; checkout Galt. Prior to that, he played in Saskatoon.

I assume theres no markings, like his name written into the cuff or whatever? Any patches or unique markings, puck or stick marks, tape or whatever? Because if not, almost impossible to tell if they truly were Howes, as the teams issued generally the same gloves to all of the players back then. Manufacturer easily identified though, either a label or just by the design.

If you can, post a picture here of them. Might be helpful. History Detectives.
Alternative could be the Eaton Catalogue.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 05:00 PM
jkrx

You can try mailing his fan mail and see if he answers or if the peopel who reads the mail answers. I bet that if it is his gloves or if he sees your inquiry he will answer, he's that kinda guy.

Gordie Howe
Power Play International, Inc.
4935 Fernlee
Royal Oak, MI 48073
USA

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
You can try mailing his fan mail and see if he answers or if the peopel who reads the mail answers. I bet that if it is his gloves or if he sees your inquiry he will answer, he's that kinda guy.

Gordie Howe
Power Play International, Inc.
4935 Fernlee
Royal Oak, MI 48073
USA
Unfortunately it might be hard for Gordie to identify or even remember.

My daughter had her picture taken with Gordie on a Giants promotional night and he isn't in the best shape.

Best bet is to live to the memory IMO.

Not that is has anything to do with this thread a friend of mine in grade 5 had his mother tell me that she dated Gordie and that marriage was in the works but now that I'm older not sure what to make of it although I was really impressed in grade 5 with her.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:02 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
My Dad played baseball against Gordie in Saskatchewan. He said Gordie was freakishly strong, even by farm boy standards. No wrist, he said, arms like popeye.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Post pictures. There are plenty of people who know their equipment, and Gordie is one of the few old-timers for whom plenty of early pictures still exist, so anything's possible.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote