HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Exhibition • Dec. 22 • Canada 2, Sweden 1 (SO) • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 03:27 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
I don't think that Jenner should be suspended. It was a late hit, and he certainly deserved a penalty, but the hit itself was pretty standard and it was mainly bad luck that the defenceman got injured. My expectation is two games for though. I would guess one game if Jenner hadn't already been suspended in the last tournament.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:29 PM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
if it was RNH who got hit, the feeling would be very different...
If RNH got hit like that he'd be made fun of for taking a hit worse than a bantam kid.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:33 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Speaking of RNH, doesn't Captain Canada only have 1A in two games? I know it's only pre-tournament, but still.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:37 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Speaking of RNH, doesn't Captain Canada only have 1A in two games? I know it's only pre-tournament, but still.
he has not been as dominant as most, including myself, expected. Although he hasn't been bad, still one of our better players, but not playing like an NHLer in a junior tournament

Old
12-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Last year, apart from the spearing incident, Jenner ended two players', Määttä and Isangulov's tournaments prematurely. Now Petterson had to be loaded into an ambulance thanks to him.

Even if they all were from clean hits according to the rulebook, no one's arguing that, it's still the kind of intensity and toughness the game can do without.

It's not my call to make whether it should be ruled as an isolated incident or one that warrants more. But whatever the ruling board decides, it won't feel a faulty one and is far from a joke. You can play tough and you can play clean, but when guys get injured despite that, a line has been crossed regardless.
I think the Blue Jackets are salivating watching this guy wreaking havoc against the best teenagers in the world. The guy is going to be an elite third line centre in the NHL very soon. It's unfortunate that injuries result but the hit on Maatta last year was clean and while this one was very much late I don't think it was deserving of a suspension of more than a game or two. A split second late which for a teenager representing his country in a lightning fast sport is like the blink of an eye. Kuznetsov was fortunate there's no fighting because if he pulled that stunt in the NHL...

Old
12-22-2012, 03:42 PM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
he has not been as dominant as most, including myself, expected. Although he hasn't been bad, still one of our better players, but not playing like an NHLer in a junior tournament
The big ice might have an effect, also while this is a junior tournament most of the players in European teams have experience playing at mens level, and while it's not NHL level it's still different to junior hockey most Canadian players have played.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:47 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
I think the Blue Jackets are salivating watching this guy wreaking havoc against the best teenagers in the world. The guy is going to be an elite third line centre in the NHL very soon. It's unfortunate that injuries result but the hit on Maatta last year was clean and while this one was very much late I don't think it was deserving of a suspension of more than a game or two. A split second late which for a teenager representing his country in a lightning fast sport is like the blink of an eye. Kuznetsov was fortunate there's no fighting because if he pulled that stunt in the NHL...
Fair enough, I guess.

I have to admit, I used to love Jarkko Ruutu in his prime. But at the same time I also hated having my fingers crossed every time he hit the ice, because the potential of him doing something that could get him ejected was always there.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Last year, apart from the spearing incident, Jenner ended two players', Määttä and Isangulov's tournaments prematurely. Now Petterson had to be loaded into an ambulance thanks to him.

Even if they all were from clean hits according to the rulebook, no one's arguing that, it's still the kind of intensity and toughness the game can do without.

It's not my call to make whether it should be ruled as an isolated incident or one that warrants more. But whatever the ruling board decides, it won't feel a faulty one and is far from a joke. You can play tough and you can play clean, but when guys get injured despite that, a line has been crossed regardless.
If I am reading this right (and looking up the incidents to remind myself) you are blaming Jenner for Isangulov elbowing him in the head? Really?

Old
12-22-2012, 03:51 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Brayden Schenn had 1 goal in the 3 pre-tourney games before Buffalo.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:51 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
The big ice might have an effect, also while this is a junior tournament most of the players in European teams have experience playing at mens level, and while it's not NHL level it's still different to junior hockey most Canadian players have played.
ohh I agree, I really think as haven't seen the best from RNH yet, but he has not been living up to the hype thus far, although it is too early to make judgements.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:53 PM
bzer

Didn't watch the game. Can someone rate some of the Canadian players (using grade scale)?

Thanks

Old
12-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Hey guys, wasn't able to watch the game, how did Morgan Rielly play???

Old
12-22-2012, 03:55 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
If I am reading this right (and looking up the incidents to remind myself) you are blaming Jenner for Isangulov elbowing him in the head? Really?
Yes, because I heard that Isangulov hurt his elbow real bad. Skull as thick as Jenner's should have a warning sign.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Krut

Quote:
However, I just can't help but wonder why these things seem to be happening to one and the same guy over and over again... and whether something should be done about that.
Probably because he plays a physical brand of hockey. I don't think that seeing more guys hurt at Jenner's hand is too much of a mystery knowing the fact that he hits more than most players.

After having watched the Oilers soft play the last few years, I can tell you that I would like to have more than a few guys who play like Jenner on my team.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Yes, because I heard that Isangulov hurt his elbow real bad. Skull as thick as Jenner's should have a warning sign.
I forgot that Europeans mandated equal breast feeding between parents. No wonder all these kids have such weak bones that Jenner wrecks them with fair hits.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Bobby Mac said he would be shocked if Jenner doesn't get suspended for this hit, given his history with the IIHF and the hit last year that knocked out Olli Maata for the remainder of the tournament with a concussion and his spear on Evgeni Kuznetsov in the Semi-Final game last year which he got suspended for a game. I'm along with McKenzie, he had no business going for the late hit on Petterson, especially when it's an exhibition game. 1 or 2 game suspension would be my guess.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
12-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzer View Post
Didn't watch the game. Can someone rate some of the Canadian players (using grade scale)?

Thanks
A
Binnington
Lipon
Jenner
Mackinnon

B
Harrington
RNH
Drouin

C
Rielly
Ouellet
Murphy
Reinhart
Scheifele
Strome
Camara
Danault
Rattie

D
Hamilton
Wotherspoon
Huberdeau

Old
12-22-2012, 04:00 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
I forgot that Europeans mandated equal breast feeding between parents. No wonder all these kids have such weak bones that Jenner wrecks them with fair hits.
Too bad the only way to get stronger bones is to get them broken so they heal up to a more consistent composition.

In fact, it's a mandatory part of any soft Euro's life if they wish to make it in the NHL. Teemu Selänne, for example, spent most of ages 13 to 16 in a full body cast. Jagr, too.

There's a catch-22 though: Through most of that time, their moms have to be breastfeeding them for obvious reasons, undoing lot of the progress.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:02 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzer View Post

Thanks
Harrington 9.5
Binnington 9.5
RNH 8
Drouin 8
Jenner 8 (until ejection)
Rattie 7.5
Mackinnon 7.5
Reinhart 7.5
Murphy 7.5
Lipon 7.5
Camara 7
Danault 7
Rielly 7
Hamilton 7
Strome 7
Oulette 7
Sheifelie 6.5
Huberdeau 6.5
Wortherspoon 6.5

Id say thats about my thoughts... out of 10 of course... kind of fun thing to do

Old
12-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Who won?

Old
12-22-2012, 04:12 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
Harrington 9.5
Binnington 9.5
RNH 8
Drouin 8
Jenner 8 (until ejection)
Rattie 7.5
Mackinnon 7.5
Reinhart 7.5
Murphy 7.5
Lipon 7.5
Camara 7
Danault 7
Rielly 7
Hamilton 7
Strome 7
Oulette 7
Sheifelie 6.5
Huberdeau 6.5
Wortherspoon 6.5

Id say thats about my thoughts... out of 10 of course... kind of fun thing to do
Move Rattie to a 7.75 and I'm happy with your ratings

Old
12-22-2012, 04:13 PM
pman25

I feel that if a hit is late, then it can't be clean. To me, he had the opportunity to let up and he didn't. Considering its the wjc I figure he will be suspended. How long is beyond me though...

Old
12-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Too bad the only way to get stronger bones is to get them broken so they heal up to a more consistent composition.

In fact, it's a mandatory part of any soft Euro's life if they wish to make it in the NHL. Teemu Selänne, for example, spent most of ages 13 to 16 in a full body cast. Jagr, too.

There's a catch-22 though: Through most of that time, their moms have to be breastfeeding them for obvious reasons, undoing lot of the progress.
I was calling northern Europe a feminist controlled dystopia, requiring men to breast feed children in the name of equality. The idea being that, since men can't produce milk the child would be grow up lacking the strength to withstand legal checks.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Who won?
The bad guys of course.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak