HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Exhibition • Dec. 22 • Canada 2, Sweden 1 (SO) • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
That was a really dumb hit... so late.
It was 30 digital frames late which is about 1.25 seconds. While late, it's not extremely late by most hockey standards.

I think he deserved a penalty for a late hit. I don't think we would be talking about a suspension had this happened in North America. If it's 1 or 2 games, fine I'd take that as a queue from the IIHF to "tone it down," but any more is simply overkill in my opinion.

Also I've never liked the fact that an injury is factored into the discipline at all. Whether or not a player gets injured is not a very good indicator of how "dirty" or "illegal" or even "unsafe" a hit is.

Last edited by Crede777: 12-22-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old
12-22-2012, 06:07 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

These are hits to the head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aWOP-Ek6Qg : Kulda suspended three games

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...150426229.html : Sacha Treille suspended 5 games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tExHTyDi3Wc Martin Marincin was assessed a further three-game suspension (four games in total)

Some of the criteria used to make this decision included the distance travelled by Marincin to deliver the hit. In Marouelli’s opinion, this was a premeditated act as the puck had long left the vicinity of the play. Marincin took advantage of a defenceless and unsuspecting opponent and deliberately targeted the head and neck area, resulting in an injury to Zucker.

I cannot find similar hits that IIHF ruled on
My opinion - it doesnt look good for Jenner - Bring in wilson

Old
12-22-2012, 06:09 PM
McCullogh

Would be interesting to see the reactions if Crosby was hit like that by someone in the NHL.

Allez les bleus!

Old
12-22-2012, 06:12 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCullogh View Post
Would be interesting to see the reactions if Crosby was hit like that by someone in the NHL.

Allez les bleus!
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...150426229.html : Sacha Treille suspended 5 games

Old
12-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
It was 30 digital frames late which is about 1.25 seconds. While late, it's not extremely late by most hockey standards.

I think he deserved a penalty for a late hit. I don't think we would be talking about a suspension had this happened in North America. If it's 1 or 2 games, fine I'd take that as a queue from the IIHF to "tone it down," but any more is simply overkill in my opinion.

Also I've never liked the fact that an injury is factored into the discipline at all. Whether or not a player gets injured is not a very good indicator of how "dirty" or "illegal" or even "unsafe" a hit is.
Hd cameras aren't running at 24fps, closer to 36. Still late but not that late.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:28 PM
DuklaNation

What was Pettersson doing there? definitely a late hit but I dont think there was intent to injure. If there are suspensions for these, might as well make 5 min major + automatic suspension EVERY time.

I would refer you all to last year's hit on Jenner which was an elbow BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK4bM7g5zOQ

Old
12-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:

Allez les bleus!
Crosby was hit away from play, and right on the head. No suspension.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:31 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
What was Pettersson doing there? definitely a late hit but I dont think there was intent to injure. If there are suspensions for these, might as well make 5 min major + automatic suspension EVERY time.

I would refer you all to last year's hit on Jenner which was an elbow BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK4bM7g5zOQ
Spot should plan for the future and bring in Wilson ASAP just incase...this way he will be ready and not wait till Dec 26...the worst that will happen is Wilson gets a free trip out of it...even though its in Ufa -20 C lolol

Old
12-22-2012, 06:36 PM
J Murda

vCash: 544
Quote:

Allez les bleus!
Crosby would have probably known better than to have admired his pass on that play.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
if it was RNH who got hit, the feeling would be very different...
I'd be happy if that happened.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Aptur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Really? Happy if a player gets injured?

Old
12-22-2012, 06:51 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptur View Post
You're quoting one of HF's biggest RNH haters.

He doesn't like that people think RNH is better than Landeskog.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:57 PM
gretskidoo

There would be a riot in Canada demanding suspension right now if it was RNH/MacKinnon getting hit.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Better hope your boy Landeskog learns to keep his head up coming over the blue line.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:59 PM
madmike77

Quote:

I'm Canadian and I think he should be done for the tourney. The hit was way late. There's no excuse and given his prior history he should have the book thrown at him.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptur View Post

Old
12-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
There's no excuse and given his prior history he should have the book thrown at him.
He speared a guy once after a lot of back-and-forth.

That's not much of a history.

To say he's like Torres as someone else said is idiotic. Torres puts his elbow out and hits other players in the head. Jenner just steamrolls them because he's a beast. Yes it was late but honestly it wasn't THAT late, he doesn't have any problem in the OHL, and none of his hits target the head or lead with the elbow.

Last edited by Crede777: 12-22-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old
12-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
he played much better than them. Lots of smart plays, didnt throw the puck away at all, made nice passes, won some draws and tried to make things happen
I don't think he played much better. Huberdeau and Schiefele were below average, RNH was merely "solid". He definitely didn't look like an NHL player "on pace for 90+ points before he got injured".

Old
12-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Prov1X

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
I'm Canadian and I think he should be done for the tourney. The hit was way late. There's no excuse and given his prior history he should have the book thrown at him.
What prior history? The spear? How does that have anything to do with today's hit? I am tired of people saying "his prior history", he does not have a history of dirty hits or trying to hurt people! Did you see the spear last year, you would have thought the guy was stabbed with a sword!
I will say that it was late, but anything more than 1 or 2 games is wrong!

Old
12-22-2012, 07:19 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
He speared a guy once after a lot of back-and-forth.

That's not much of a history. To say he's like Torres is idiotic. Torres puts his elbow out and hits other players in the head. Jenner just steamrolls them because he's a beast. Yes it was late but honestly it wasn't THAT late, he doesn't have any problem in the OHL, and none of his hits target the head or lead with the elbow.
And a blindside hit on Olli Määttä that wasn't penalised and resulted in concussion (Bob McKenzie said that today)

Old
12-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Really disapointed with Morgan Reilly so far. He was Canada's worst defender today. Just handled the puck like a live grenade.

I never really seen the kid before so I had high expectations, but he looks like a disaster out there at times.

Also disapointed in RNH so far. I will give him a pass as he doesn't kill penalities so he saw limited ice time. However maybe I was expecting more or him to be more dominant and he just isn't.

RNH will make a nice pass/play the odd time but felt like he should be doing more I guess... It's still early so I am not worried about RNH as much as Reilly because RNH has shown he can play with big boys.... but I am getting worried perhaps this team took too much pretty and not enough grind.

As for the hit, it was late and I expect a 1-2 game suspension for Jenner.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
And a blindside hit on Olli Määttä that wasn't penalised and resulted in concussion (Bob McKenzie said that today)
That was a totally clean hit even when they went back and reviewed it... As such it should not even be mentioned once.

He has 1 thing on his record, last year's WJC where he speared Kuznetsov. That's it and that's NOT a reputation.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:22 PM
gretskidoo

Being facetious aside, Pettersson should've kept his head up instead of admiring his pass and just put up an elbow in Jenner's face. Gotta protect yourself after getting rid of the puck!

Old
12-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Beerfish

Canadian fan here. Jenner should be suspended for multiple games.

Just where over the years did these horribly late hits and suggestions that a player who should have no thought of being hit should keep his head up become normal and okay? You make the pass, the opposing player is several strides away from you, you legitimately do not expect to get freakin hammered.

Fug these late hits, zero excuse for mashing a player if you are just too late to get a clean hit in. He busted the guy up on a cheap hit and he should pay the price.

Closed Thread