HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Too much prospect defense

Old
12-23-2012, 02:43 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
How tacky of you. I knew someone would fall for it btw. What if I came in here and started dissing your favorite prospect? Oh and of course Hertl is your favorite prospect because he is the only decent prospect in the Sharks garbage prospect pool. I wonder if Sharks fans would let that one slide ? (Just for the record I don't truly feel that way about the Sharks prospect pool, I think it's pretty underrated. I don't want to start a flame war.)
Actually my favorite prospect is Sena Acolatse.

However, I let all kinds of things slide about the Sharks prospect pool. People piss on it constantly, but I let it slide because I know that people don't trouble to watch Sharks prospects under the assumption that they're all garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
I may have joined recently, but I have been lurking these boards for over a year now and HatTrick is one of the most informed, objective posters on here. He responded to your post to disprove a myth. Kreider is a utility forward that works best with cerebral players (won't be a problem with Stepan and Richards being his potential centers if he develops into a top six forward.) He did well these past playoffs because he was working with better talent. He scored 5 goals in 20 games as a rookie against playoff calibre competition. That's a 20 goal pace if you prorate that for a full regular season! Not bad for a player that's mostly unfamiliar with his teammates, the coaches, and the system they employ. You see there is a difference between naive homerism and trying to disprove myths that are prevalent on this message board. As a Shark fan, you're probably used to constantly defending Joe Thornton whenever people say he's a playoff choker. (I know he's not a prospect, but that is still a case of people confusing posters calling out ******** and homerism.)
He accused me of not watching Kreider in the AHL, which I certainly have. I watch lots of AHL games, and considering I watch the Worcester Sharks, who happen to be in the same conference as the Whale, I've seen plenty of Kreider. I have not been impressed.

So you're basically telling me that Kreider needs to play with good players in order to look good, then? Because that's what it sounds like.

Kreider put up 5 goals on 29 shots. That's a 17% shooting percentage. That's unsustainable. If you regress that number to a more normal 11% shooting, you get 3 goals in those 20 games. Which is hardly impressive, considering that he started in the offensive zone 70% of the time, and played with two amazing NHLers in Derek Stepan and Ryan Callahan.

I'm sure HatTrick is a very informed and very objective, when it comes to anything but Chris Kreider.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
The irony of these last few posts are blowing my mind in this thread.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:41 PM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

vCash: 500
Ah ok, I just assumed it was Hertl since I saw you mention him a few times and I'm pretty sure I saw you once write that he was your favorite.

I didn't say he needs good players, it's just that he didn't have much to work with in BC or in Connecticut. Despite the forward position being the biggest strength of the Whale, they could still use a playmaking center. St. Croix or Stepan would have been ideal, unfortunately one is too old and one is too young. Stats shouldn't be the be all end all for proper talent evaluation, just looks at all those players with eye popping stats in juniors that ended up busting. I understand that you watched him, but keep in mind who he's playing with.

His shooting percentage may have been a bit unsustainable in the playoffs, but he could reach and even exceed those scoring rates once he gets more familiar with his teammates and the system as well as adjusting to the pro game, which imo is exactly what is going on right now.

Btw this is the last I'm talking about Kreider here, I don't want to hijack the thread .

I'll actually respond to the OP . You as well as the posters in subsequent posts make good points, but to be honest it's threads like these that make realize how spoiled many HF posters are. Before finding out about this site, I would get my hockey fix on Bleacher Report and hockey pages on Facebook . The lack of knowledge and the sheer amount of homerism was mind boggling. It's really not that bad here. I'm glad you're trying to raise awareness, but realize it's a habit that almost every sports fan has even the most educated ones.

3rdlineglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:44 PM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
The irony of these last few posts are blowing my mind in this thread.
I already knew what I was getting myself into .

Old
12-23-2012, 03:49 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Jaden Schwartz has no one to support him in Peoria, and he's still doubling Kreider's point output, despite the fact that he's also a rookie... People act like Kreider is in another league from Jaden.

I dunno, I just think that of all prospects in all of the teams, Kreider is the one where fans have the biggest complex about him. Like anything bad said about him, automatically has never watched him play.

And lastly, before I depart from this lovely thread, I love Hertl, but you'll only see me talking about him so much because I watch most of his Czech Extraliga games and I think he's amaaazing and that more people should be talking about him. That's all. Acolatse, though, he's a really interesting kind of player. He's third in Worcester scoring (that's right, beating Kreider's production ), solid defensively, and the best part is that despite not being the biggest guy he's an amazing heavy-weight fighter who can take down anyone. Lastly, he's a Bay Area native, so naturally I like him best.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:33 PM
LeMAD

Scouts don't give a **** about prospects' point production, but instead look at the package of skills they have and project how it will translate to the NHL.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
I kinda disagree with the OP. I mean, who doesn't see the odd proposal thread, and click on it just for a few good laughs? Very entertaining stuff.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 06:51 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
I kinda disagree with the OP. I mean, who doesn't see the odd proposal thread, and click on it just for a few good laughs? Very entertaining stuff.
As something of an hf lurker/vet and i will attest to the endearing nature of the trade forums being somewhat of an idiosyncrasy.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 06:56 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Jaden Schwartz has no one to support him in Peoria, and he's still doubling Kreider's point output, despite the fact that he's also a rookie... People act like Kreider is in another league from Jaden.

I dunno, I just think that of all prospects in all of the teams, Kreider is the one where fans have the biggest complex about him. Like anything bad said about him, automatically has never watched him play.

And lastly, before I depart from this lovely thread, I love Hertl, but you'll only see me talking about him so much because I watch most of his Czech Extraliga games and I think he's amaaazing and that more people should be talking about him. That's all. Acolatse, though, he's a really interesting kind of player. He's third in Worcester scoring (that's right, beating Kreider's production ), solid defensively, and the best part is that despite not being the biggest guy he's an amazing heavy-weight fighter who can take down anyone. Lastly, he's a Bay Area native, so naturally I like him best.
This is good stuff.

Based on (limited) ahl viewings its always pretty clear whose an nhler (or nhler to be) and whose an ahler. My point being that i think objectivity is a little easier than posters will appreciate. I think people waste their times hyping ahl scorers (andrei loktionov) when they could be talking about gems in the rough (jordan nolan, andre andreoff) who could end up actually makin the nhl and who coincidentally are the kinds of prospexts who we dont know about due to them not having a strong statistical presence

Old
12-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
This is good stuff.

Based on (limited) ahl viewings its always pretty clear whose an nhler (or nhler to be) and whose an ahler. My point being that i think objectivity is a little easier than posters will appreciate. I think people waste their times hyping ahl scorers (andrei loktionov) when they could be talking about gems in the rough (jordan nolan, andre andreoff) who could end up actually makin the nhl and who coincidentally are the kinds of prospexts who we dont know about due to them not having a strong statistical presence
Why would you use Loktionov as a prospect to "waste" hype on? He is a 22 year old with 60 NHL games played.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Kershaw

I think the thing with Kreider being hyped by Rangers fans is because they've seen what he's capable of doing. This includes the NHL playoffs, Beanpot tournmanet and most importantly, the WJC. I haven't got around to see Kreider play this year, so I will take your word for it that he's been crap.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:17 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I think the thing with Kreider being hyped by Rangers fans is because they've seen what he's capable of doing. This includes the NHL playoffs, Beanpot tournmanet and most importantly, the WJC. I haven't got around to see Kreider play this year, so I will take your word for it that he's been crap.
The Beanpot and the WJC are both such small sample sizes, I hate seeing people (not you in particular) judge a prospect based on half a dozen games. Freddie Hamilton was the 4th leading scorer on Team Canada last WJC while playing shut-down minutes and tons of PK and looking like one of the best players on the ice, but I'm not going to go around saying that he's going to be the 4th best offensive player on that team.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Wingsfan2965*

There's humorous poetry in the fact that a thread about too much prospect defending turned into prospect defending.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:09 PM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
There's humorous poetry in the fact that a thread about too much prospect defending turned into prospect defending.
I was fully aware I was doing this. I defended him to show that prospect defending isn't always homerism. The reason it's seen like that is it's usually the fans of the team that drafted that prospect. However, think about it, who knows more about a prospect: the fan of the team that drafted him or a fan of another team? I mean, isn't the point of the prospects forum to get a proper gauge of prospects? That wouldn't happen if people kept writing misconceptions without getting the clear picture. Me telling Juxtaposer that the Whale doesn't have any quality playmaking centers is a fact that many posters weren't aware of and shouldn't be confused for homerism. Maybe if Juxtaposer said that Kreider wasn't a cerebral player and I was denying it and saying he has a high hockey IQ. That would be homerism. Even though she shouldn't have come in here with the goal of trying to provoke other posters in the first place. It's vendettas against specific prospects that are part to blame for what the OP is talking about. For example, there are droves of Kadri haters that spew nonsense about him. Why are the people trying to give a better understanding of Kadri homers and people that don't like Kadri or better the Toronto Maple Leafs don't get blamed for misinforming other posters? There is a difference between being a homer and correcting posters that are simply backing up misconceptions about prospects or making up misconceptions of their own. If there are so many myths that people still believe in about NHL players could you imagine what people still think is true about prospects? This place would be a joke if people weren't allowed to inform other posters about prospects because they would afraid to come off as homers.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:14 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Third party opinion, I can't really think of a better example than Kreider (maybe Zibanejad and Silfverberg who were supposed to be lighting it up), and outside of the three times Kreider and the Whale have played the Ads, I've watched him play 5 times and I swear to god there are times where I forget he's on the team. He's got nice speed but he's not utilizing it. The most impressive (not exactly impressive but noticeable) thing I've seen him do in those 8 games was light one of the Admirals up and get a suspension. But some fans will defend him to the bitter bust if it does end up coming to that (which I don't believe it will) instead of actually criticize his performance.
Quote:
There you go.

Sorry, I was trying to provoke a response to show an example of what the OP was talking about.

(Also, I've seen several Rangers fans on here convinced he's going to be the Rangers best forward, a PPG, 40-goal, two-way All-Star. Secondly, I do watch AHL games and Kreider has been quite invisible in the dozen or so games I've seen. Thirdly, I don't care how great he'd playing, he still has a respectable 9% shooting, so it's not like he's not getting any luck or anything like that. He's just not an elite scoring prospect. That's all.)
Since you guys have both actually watched him, I respect your opinions. I agree that he has had a rough start, and I also never penciled him in as a "40 goal All Star", disagreeing with those who did.

That said, Kreider is the ultimate "stat watcher" prospect. People look at his point totals and bash him all over HF purely on that. That is what I take issue with. If you put forth a decently backed-up opinion, as you both have, you are entitled to it.

I still disagree, but you are entitled to it. The Whale's D is so terrible they spend 40mins a game pinned in their own end, and there is noone remotely capable of springing Kreider with a stretch pass. Kreider has got work to do too don't get me wrong.

12-24-2012, 01:29 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Scouts don't give a **** about prospects' point production, but instead look at the package of skills they have and project how it will translate to the NHL.
True but they are swayed by results. If a players tries a move and scores he's "good 1 on 1". If he tries that exact same move and the puck hits a rut in the ice he "tries to make too many moves".

Last edited by Hynh: 12-24-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:12 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Since you guys have both actually watched him, I respect your opinions. I agree that he has had a rough start, and I also never penciled him in as a "40 goal All Star", disagreeing with those who did.

That said, Kreider is the ultimate "stat watcher" prospect. People look at his point totals and bash him all over HF purely on that. That is what I take issue with. If you put forth a decently backed-up opinion, as you both have, you are entitled to it.

I still disagree, but you are entitled to it. The Whale's D is so terrible they spend 40mins a game pinned in their own end, and there is noone remotely capable of springing Kreider with a stretch pass. Kreider has got work to do too don't get me wrong.
That argument (that the Whale are so bad that they never spend time in the offensive zone) would hold water if there weren't for the ten players ahead of Kreider in scoring.

The reason that I (and, I assume, many people) are so against Kreider was that after the playoffs we all had it shoved down our throats that the Rangers wouldn't trade Kreider for E. Kane, for Bogosian, for a number of different players who are ridiculously more talented than him, just because he had a decent (and only decent) playoff due mostly to sheltered minutes, talented linemates, and lucky shooting. I've done my share of lurking on the Rangers board, and most Rangers fans would be disappointed if Kreider didn't score 25 goals next season. Also, you have to look at direct quotes like this:

"Kreider has no motivation to do anything in the AHL considering he's pretty much made the big team. How many locked out NHL players are really tearing it up in other leagues?"

"And I just explained it. Kreider is a power forward. He can't just dangle around guys and toy with them. His game relies on intensity. Nobody from the NHL wants to be down there right now. Some guys have the skill to score down there without the intensity of an NHL game. Some guys don't."

These quotes are actual defenses made by an actual Rangers fan for why Kreider's production is piss-poor.

Kreider is a golden boy who can't do no wrong. It's not just him, but most golden boy prospects that I rather dislike.

But back to Kreider: I think he's a safe bet to be a 25-25 2nd liner for several years, maybe hitting 30 a couple times. But he's not a prospect with huge upside. I liken him to Charlie Coyle in this regard.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Justin Abdelkader looked really good in the playoffs too. Justin freakin' Abdelkader.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:18 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Why would you use Loktionov as a prospect to "waste" hype on? He is a 22 year old with 60 NHL games played.
Because i have seen him play and am entitled to an opinion. Responses like these also qualify as "white noise"

Old
12-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
Because i have seen him play and am entitled to an opinion. Responses like these also qualify as "white noise"
You mean anyone questioning you?

Isn't that what you want? Reliability and a willingness to discuss why. Looks like you're going one-way on a two-way street. People aren't allowed to pump up or defend their prospects without providing a largely sufficient amount of backing and reasoning, but you can bash them and just follow up with, "because I've him play".

Just sounds largely hypocritical to me.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 10:13 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
You mean anyone questioning you?

Isn't that what you want? Reliability and a willingness to discuss why. Looks like you're going one-way on a two-way street. People aren't allowed to pump up or defend their prospects without providing a largely sufficient amount of backing and reasoning, but you can bash them and just follow up with, "because I've him play".

Just sounds largely hypocritical to me.
Merely stating age and providing statistics does not constitute an argument.

My position is that he was given an extended try out and never looked like an nhler. I think one can make a better argument

The point of my statement wasnt to evaluate any one prospect, it was to indicate that most of the time we overlook prospects that make the nhl in favor of high scoring youtube friendly/stats based player

Last edited by LAX attack*: 12-24-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old
12-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

but you guys don't realize that all Canuck prospects are underrated while all other teams have overrated prospects

don't get me started on the intangibles my player have

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 02:43 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
That argument (that the Whale are so bad that they never spend time in the offensive zone) would hold water if there weren't for the ten players ahead of Kreider in scoring.

The reason that I (and, I assume, many people) are so against Kreider was that after the playoffs we all had it shoved down our throats that the Rangers wouldn't trade Kreider for E. Kane, for Bogosian, for a number of different players who are ridiculously more talented than him, just because he had a decent (and only decent) playoff due mostly to sheltered minutes, talented linemates, and lucky shooting. I've done my share of lurking on the Rangers board, and most Rangers fans would be disappointed if Kreider didn't score 25 goals next season. Also, you have to look at direct quotes like this:

"Kreider has no motivation to do anything in the AHL considering he's pretty much made the big team. How many locked out NHL players are really tearing it up in other leagues?"

"And I just explained it. Kreider is a power forward. He can't just dangle around guys and toy with them. His game relies on intensity. Nobody from the NHL wants to be down there right now. Some guys have the skill to score down there without the intensity of an NHL game. Some guys don't."

These quotes are actual defenses made by an actual Rangers fan for why Kreider's production is piss-poor.

Kreider is a golden boy who can't do no wrong. It's not just him, but most golden boy prospects that I rather dislike.

But back to Kreider: I think he's a safe bet to be a 25-25 2nd liner for several years, maybe hitting 30 a couple times. But he's not a prospect with huge upside. I liken him to Charlie Coyle in this regard.
That's a solid player I'd like to have if he develops a solid defensive game. A 50 point winger is pretty darn good. That would have put him in the top 100 in scoring in the NHL last year. That is where guys like Dany Heatley, Andrew Ladd, Drew Stafford, Shane Doan, Alex Burrows, Gabriel Landeskog were last season and since you brought him up, Kreider would be only 7 points behind Evander Kane's totals from last year. If he reaches that I'd say the Rangers should be quite thrilled with themselves.

Last edited by Xokkeu: 12-25-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:02 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Prospects are unfinished products. Really you like to take the good and think they will evolve other elements of their game. It is not that hard to do and there are several guys in the league that never had big ceilings attached to them and have done so with improvement. I watch every Griffins AHL game either live or tape delayed for several years and a lot of others both in person and around the net especially this year, most of the big Wings European guys and attempt when possible to hit up the CHL games, they are a little harder to get at. But you want to see these guys be successful and at the end of the day you probably have seen more of them than the person that is bashing them. That or they don't know what the organization is saying about the prospects development either.

The organizational factor is a big one. The OP might not like how some people way overhype guys, but what do you do when Hakan Andersson and Jim Nill do it? You know two guys that have great hockey minds and a big track record. That is where a lot of this best case scenario comes from, the teams themselves when they are asked who the player reminds them of. Guess what you then watch the player and see a lot of the gifts from the comparison.

Also to a larger point I still don't understand why some guys fail in the NHL. You can watch them every night and every shift and think he is a pretty darn good player and they still wash out. It is an inexact science, I still believe sometimes organizations themselves or coaching staffs tank these guys careers.

It is perfectly acceptable to be high on these guys before they get to the league, as long as you understand a lot of them won't turn into the ceiling you are hoping for. But at the same time when people bash them I understand people saying they still have that potential because in a lot of cases they do. It is worth notiing when you're watching them, sometimes they are working on very exact things. This happens a lot with the Wings because of their long development arcs, certain guys are being asked to focus on certain things, so just cruising the stat sheet does a disservice to that. When your organization or other teams scouts are saying great things that is more important than stat sheets.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote