HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Canadian wjc player interviews... Horrible

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Brun0

vCash: 500
Canadian wjc player interviews... Horrible

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=world_jrs/la...32587/clip/439

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=world_jrs/la...32620/clip/559

Is it just me or do these canadian players lack personality?

All they can say is "you know"... Huh I mean its painfull to watch for me, anyone share the same feeling?

Watching these player interviews i feel like they all answear excactly the same way, they are like robots.

So is the "hockey Canada" about making players machines or are the just not the sharpest tools in the box, or is this their so called media training all about this? Seems a bit funny and unprofessional?

Last edited by Brun0: 12-22-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old
12-22-2012, 04:35 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Players seem to go through extensive media training these days, wouldn't want to say anything interesting now.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Good Canadian boys.... you know?

Old
12-22-2012, 04:47 PM
RJQuack

I don't know what people expect out of teenagers lol...

Every hockey interview is the same... Why would these kids be any different.....

..... Y'know?

Old
12-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Elever
Hth

The problem is in sports the media always asks these types of questions from athletes when you have to remember that an athlete isn't gonna be able to provide in depth analysis. That's why you talk to analysts, not every player is a PK Subban who has something insightful or interesting to say.

It's no worst than those stupid between the bench interviews they do during periods.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:51 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 200
They are teenage hockey players. Some day they will be adult hockey players (like Hainsey)

Old
12-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Well, I mean, sometimes the words take a funny bounce. You just have to take it. You win those 50/50 battles for the phrase you're looking for and it's not so bad. But there are some good sayings out there, hard ones to get into sentences, and you lose 'em, and, uh, all the sudden you got an egg on your face. Sometimes the microphone is just the better man out there. There's no shame in that.

Microphones don't even know how to play hockey anyway.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:53 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brun0 View Post
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=world_jrs/la...32587/clip/439

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=world_jrs/la...32620/clip/559

Is it just me or do these canadian players lack personality?

All they can say is "you know"... Huh I mean its painfull to watch for me, anyone share the same feeling?

Watching these player interviews i feel like they all answear excactly the same way, they are like robots.

So is the "hockey Canada" about making players machines or are the just not the sharpest tools in the box, or is this their so called media training all about this? Seems a bit funny and unprofessional?
what do you expect? one wrong word and the media will jump all over them.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:12 PM
YARR123

It's always the same. You know we just gotta keep moving our legs you know and going to the net you know and obviously bla bla bla and you know bla bla bla and good thing will happen you know?

Thats why it's so refreshing hearing an interview from Tuomo Ruutu or Ossi Väänänen. They always seem to be saying something funny and trying to pull the interviewers leg

Old
12-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Brun0

You know... They are not saying what they think, you know... They answear the way they everyone knows what they are gonna say, looks like they just try to avoid errors...

Old
12-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Brun0

So is the canadian way to preasure these kids and look who makes least errors? Thats really managing from early 1900

Old
12-22-2012, 05:37 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brun0 View Post
So is the canadian way to preasure these kids and look who makes least errors? Thats really managing from early 1900
ya man your right

Old
12-22-2012, 08:50 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

i counted. scheifele's interview was 1:23 and he said "you know" at least 27 times.

i find the us players i've heard are a bit more interesting than the canadian players.

Old
12-22-2012, 08:54 PM
stevo61

Guys like Stefan Legein set the bar too high i guess

Old
12-22-2012, 09:09 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
I find this topic funny for some reason, almost as if some people are stunned that the kids are like that. Hockey Canada does this schtick for a reason: make the players as robotic as possible so that they'll always "reflect well for Canada." I don't blame the kids.

Personally though, I wouldn't mind to see a more outspoken phenom come along and give TSN and Hockey Canada hissy fits with his "classlessness."

Old
12-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Garyboy

Hockey Canada has adopted the old Soviet model. Never speak out of turn, nobody is bigger than the team, keep interviews nice and vanilla. Personality is frowned upon with Hockey Canada. You can see it in the players body language.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:12 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

You guys are cherry picking. Yes, some of these Canadian kids are dull. Not all Canadian hockey players are. Ray Whitney is hilarious. Paul Bissonnette is Canadian. Brad May was an awesome interview. Steve Stamkos is a funny kid, too. A lot of American hockey players are totally boring. Sometimes they are really lively. Jeremy Roenick was not dull. Erik Johnson is a great clown.

Ovechkin and Daniil Markov are hilarious. Slava Kozlov and Alex Svitov are the most boring robots ever created in a lab.

Yeah, Ossi Vaananen is a great interview. Really funny guy. The vast majority of his fellow countrymen are incredibly dull and make for TERRIBLE interviews.

This is cherry picking at It's worst.

It doesnt matter what country you are from. Some people have interesting personalities and some people prefer to hide behind cliches. This is a truth that has no rules about nationality. It crosses all borders.

Frankly, it is also common sense and if you don't understand it, you are probably somebody with a crappy personality that sucks, and you'd likely be an awful interview.

12-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You guys are cherry picking. Yes, some of these Canadian kids are dull. Not all Canadian hockey players are. Ray Whitney is hilarious. Paul Bissonnette is Canadian. Brad May was an awesome interview. Steve Stamkos is a funny kid, too. A lot of American hockey players are totally boring. Sometimes they are really lively. Jeremy Roenick was not dull. Erik Johnson is a great clown.

Ovechkin and Daniil Markov are hilarious. Slava Kozlov and Alex Svitov are the most boring robots ever created in a lab.

Yeah, Ossi Vaananen is a great interview. Really funny guy. The vast majority of his fellow countrymen are incredibly dull and make for TERRIBLE interviews.

This is cherry picking at It's worst.

It doesnt matter what country you are from. Some people have interesting personalities and some people prefer to hide behind cliches. This is a truth that has no rules about nationality. It crosses all borders.

Frankly, it is also common sense and if you don't understand it, you are probably somebody with a crappy personality that sucks, and you'd likely be an awful interview.
Ayup, I've conducting many an interview myself and this is beyond true.

North American skaters have a fair amount of media training, but you get your boring types and your very entertaining types.

It crosses all sports as well, some guys are loud and try to be entertaining, but are actually boring (Shaq), while others can be enlightening (Arian Foster).

Old
12-23-2012, 01:47 AM
goosh
TwoForRoughing

I counted 29 "you know"s for Scheifele's interview.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:00 AM
premadonna

It is what it is. These guys are living under the media microscope and if they say ANYTHING controversial it's going to get blown out of proportion by the media and social media.

Teams obviously hate that kind of attention and distraction so they'll make sure the kids are trained to say all the right things and be politically correct in interviews.

Old
12-23-2012, 08:51 AM
philmacrackin

Ultimately Steve Spott ultimately says ultimately every second sentence. Ultimately it drives me insane.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Dr Robot

Scheif is nervous in that clip. Hes talking too fast and it seems he knows what he wants to say but hes having a hard time articulating it. If you've ever been interviewed for something or had to talk on the radio its something your aware of, putting people on the spot with random questions who aren't used to it is difficult.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:25 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Can't really single out the Canadians.

Have you ever seen Pat Sieloff interviewed? If I was a GM I'd think twice about drafting him after the way he interviews.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Bomber0104

Evidently there is a lack of character on this team.

My opinion? It's all the coach's fault.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:47 AM
domdo345

0 classless Subban thats for sure!

Closed Thread