HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ott - pit

Old
12-19-2012, 02:50 AM
TheKeenKariya
OTF! OTB! HFB!

vCash: 50
Ott - pit

Ottawa's prospect strength is in their forwards while Pittsburgh's strength is in their defence. So why don't we help each other out a bit?

Ott:
Matt Puempel
Andre Petersson

Pitt:
Simon Despres

Pittsburgh has a long line of defensive prospects and only has room for so many of them and are looking for some scoring wingers to play with Crosby and Malkin. I believe Puempel would fill that need as he is probably Ottawa's best pure goal scorer. Andre Petersson has struggled this season bringing his value to an all time low but did put up a decent 23 G/44 PTS during his rookie season in the AHL and has the potential to be a top 6 scoring winger.

There are A LOT of options but this is the one I have chosen feel free to play with some other possibilities. I really think OTT and PITT would be great trading partners as they are in different divisions and have completely opposite needs. Here are the players I would want from Pittsburgh.

PITT
Joe Morrow
Simon Despres
Derrick Pouliot
Olli Maatta
Brian Dumoulin
Scott Harrington

While these are the top options for Ottawa forwards.

OTT
Mika Zibanejad
Jakob Silfverberg
Stefan Noesen
Mark Stone
Andre Petersson
Matt Puempel
Shane Prince

TheKeenKariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:26 AM
Hale The Villain

I don't think trading a solid forward prospect for a good defense prospect is a good idea. I think the Sens will have a strong blueline in the future, and I'm more confident in our future defense than our forward group.

Karlsson just won the Norris at age 21
Cowen looks like he'll develop into a rock solid defensive D, perfect partner for EK
Ceci should be a top 4 defenseman one day, his defense needs work but there's no denying his skill, and its in a 6'3, 215lbs body
Methot is still young enough, could be a good bottom pairing defenseman
Wiercioch and Borowiecki are solid d prospects that will get a look as soon as the lockout ends
Couple other guys like Sdao, Wikstrand, Claesson realistically have NHL potential as well

Defense isn't going to be the weakness on this team. Filling out our top 6 will be the difficult part. Hopefully some of the forward prospects you listed will pan out. I don't think we should be trading guys like Prince or Puempel when our top 6 is by no means set for the future.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
I'd do Maatta for Silfverberg, since Maatta will probably be a few years off and doesn't provide any one element we need on the blueline, and Silfverberg is a skilled RH shot who's fairly close to the show.

Outside of that, I'm not interested in making any deal involving those players, at least until we see who pans out. Pittsburgh needs a defensive overhaul, and many of their prospects will play a role in that.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:40 AM
wej20

If Pens trade one of their D prospects for a Forward prospect then it should be a 1 for 1 swap, Petersson doesn't sound like he'd fit very well with Bylsma anyway.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:52 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I'd do Maatta for Silfverberg, since Maatta will probably be a few years off and doesn't provide any one element we need on the blueline, and Silfverberg is a skilled RH shot who's fairly close to the show.

Outside of that, I'm not interested in making any deal involving those players, at least until we see who pans out. Pittsburgh needs a defensive overhaul, and many of their prospects will play a role in that.
Silfverberg isn't getting dealt.... dude is one of the most underrated prospects in the league right now, IMO.

To give you an idea, just so you know where I stand: within our own system, I personally value him more than Zibanejad, and I think there are more than a few Sens fans who think like I do (though perhaps not the majority). I think he's our most valuable prospect of any D or F we have in the system.

You'd need Maatta ++. And yes, I realize most non-Sens fans would think I'm crazy for suggesting that, which is fine: they're entitled to their opinion. But Jakob Silfverberg is going to be a real, REAL good player in this league. 50-65 point winger who can also play on your 1st PK unit. He can do everything except throw his weight around. He's in Ottawa's top-6 as soon as the CBA gets signed, IMO (though that's probably due both to his skill AND Ottawa's fairly light top-6 at the moment).

He's ready for prime time.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:56 AM
TSA0402

The basic issue is that Pittsburgh is going to want Zibanejad or Silfverberg, not Puempel, Prince etc for their better defensive prospects.

Ottawa already has a ton youth on their blue line. I usually hate to say it, but Free Agency will likely be their friend in this case. They don't need a marquee d-man.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:11 AM
OMadahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Silfverberg isn't getting dealt.... dude is one of the most underrated prospects in the league right now, IMO.

To give you an idea, just so you know where I stand: within our own system, I personally value him more than Zibanejad, and I think there are more than a few Sens fans who think like I do (though perhaps not the majority). I think he's our most valuable prospect of any D or F we have in the system.

You'd need Maatta ++. And yes, I realize most non-Sens fans would think I'm crazy for suggesting that, which is fine: they're entitled to their opinion. But Jakob Silfverberg is going to be a real, REAL good player in this league. 50-65 point winger who can also play on your 1st PK unit. He can do everything except throw his weight around. He's in Ottawa's top-6 as soon as the CBA gets signed, IMO (though that's probably due both to his skill AND Ottawa's fairly light top-6 at the moment).

Quoted for truth
In all honesty Silfverberg isn't getting traded out of Ottawa anytime soon. He has to many similarities to Alfie in my opinion ( one of the reasons he's a fan favourite)
I don't know how Pitt values its defence prospect list but a deal around noesen for matta maybe. Add a 3rd or 2nd heading to the penguins as well probs

OMadahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:12 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Ottawa adds a lot... Puempul imho is a long shot to play in the NHL.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
I don't think trading a solid forward prospect for a good defense prospect is a good idea. I think the Sens will have a strong blueline in the future, and I'm more confident in our future defense than our forward group.

Karlsson just won the Norris at age 21
Cowen looks like he'll develop into a rock solid defensive D, perfect partner for EK
Ceci should be a top 4 defenseman one day, his defense needs work but there's no denying his skill, and its in a 6'3, 215lbs body
Methot is still young enough, could be a good bottom pairing defenseman
Wiercioch and Borowiecki are solid d prospects that will get a look as soon as the lockout ends
Couple other guys like Sdao, Wikstrand, Claesson realistically have NHL potential as well

Defense isn't going to be the weakness on this team. Filling out our top 6 will be the difficult part. Hopefully some of the forward prospects you listed will pan out. I don't think we should be trading guys like Prince or Puempel when our top 6 is by no means set for the future.
Your future D isn't going to be all your current prospects

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:47 AM
yoplait

vCash: 450
I'm an Ottawa fan and I think Pitts is getting fleeced here. Puempel, while being a solid prospect and who's a natural goalscorer which Pitts needs, isn't close to having Despres' value, and I don't think Petersson holds that much value. I think the idea is there, but that Pitts would probably trade him for a guy closer to the NHL, imo.

yoplait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Well 3 of them are NHLers. Boro and Weir are just about ready for the NHL. Then between Ceci and all the other propsects theres a good chance at least 1 will make the NHL.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Karlsson, Cowen and Methot are in the NHL already, while Wiercioch and Borowiecki are pretty close to NHL ready at this point.

Ceci looks like a pretty safe bet to be a top 4 NHL defenseman. Agreed that the chances for the others I listed aren't as high, but they do have potential. Sens are really high on Sdao, Claesson has been awsome in his first AHL season, and Wikstrand is doing very well in Sweden. These players have NHL potential, they just aren't as close as Wiercioch and Borowiecki.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoplait View Post
I'm an Ottawa fan and I think Pitts is getting fleeced here. Puempel, while being a solid prospect and who's a natural goalscorer which Pitts needs, isn't close to having Despres' value, and I don't think Petersson holds that much value. I think the idea is there, but that Pitts would probably trade him for a guy closer to the NHL, imo.
I agree with this.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:29 PM
SenateReform

Ottawa doesn't need any more prospects.

They need NHL talent and preferably a veteran defender with leadership qualities.

Our prospects should only be traded if an NHL player is coming back and improving the team immediately IMO

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:02 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Quote:

I agree entirely.

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:05 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

no. Despres has 2nd/3rd pair potential. Not worth two top 6 forwards prospects, even if he is safer than both.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Will Hunting

LOL, big NO from Pittsburghīs side. I mean, idea is maybe there, but Puempel is still a longterm project with some questionmarks and with a lot of work to do. Petersson, who is already 22, is just having a bad year, we donīt need average prospects like him. No way this gets you Despres, who is ready to jump into big league.

This wonīt probably get you neither from Maatta/Harrington/Pouliot/Despres/Dumoulin/Morrow. I mean, Pittsburgh has probably the best future on the blueline in the league, but there is a logical reason for that. Pens know how to develop young D-men and they will need them badly.

Aside from Letang, there is a deep hole in a Pensī defense right now. Orpik and Martin arenīt young anymore and I can imagine they wonīt be in the organization in letīs say 2 years from now. Niskanen is another question mark with his short contract and thatīs pretty much all we have. So, Letang is almost all alone there, so the Pens will probably need at least 3 or 4 of their D-prospects completely ready in 2 years. D-pool is stacked, but they know what they are doing. They wonīt trade more than 1 player from these 6 mentioned and IF they are trading that one player, it will be for a best return possible. Zibanejad and Silfverberg are the only interesting possibilities, otherwise we have nothing to talk about here.

Last edited by Will Hunting: 12-20-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 08:20 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Ottawa's fine on the blue line. We will have a top pairing of Karlsson/Cowen for years to come (though not this year obviously), Ceci as mentioned is a very safe bet as at least a middle pairing guy, Methot is locked up and not exactly old, then AHL callups/cheap UFAs can fill out the bottom pairing, and this is not even considering any other draft picks coming up.

We need more top 6 forwards, as the only sure ones we have when Alfie is gone are Spezza, Michalek, and Turris. Silfverberg and Zibanejad have the best shots to become top 6 forwards, but even they arent sure bets. We need to hang onto our forward prospects. Our D will be fine.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:53 AM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Ottawa's fine on the blue line. We will have a top pairing of Karlsson/Cowen for years to come (though not this year obviously), Ceci as mentioned is a very safe bet as at least a middle pairing guy, Methot is locked up and not exactly old, then AHL callups/cheap UFAs can fill out the bottom pairing, and this is not even considering any other draft picks coming up.

We need more top 6 forwards, as the only sure ones we have when Alfie is gone are Spezza, Michalek, and Turris. Silfverberg and Zibanejad have the best shots to become top 6 forwards, but even they arent sure bets. We need to hang onto our forward prospects. Our D will be fine.
Completely agree.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Zirakzigil

If we are trading Despres (big if) or any other of our top defensive prospects, its not going to be for a package. Blue chip for blue chip straight up or nothing at all.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:

That's your prerogative. But he's really the only wing prospect on the Sens who would make it worthwhile for the Pens to deal one of their "Big 6" blueline prospects.

None of them are going to be dealt for the package offered in this thread. Let alone the one who looked better than all of the defensemen on the NHL roster outside of Letang last season.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:34 PM
OMadahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
That's your prerogative. But he's really the only wing prospect on the Sens who would make it worthwhile for the Pens to deal one of their "Big 6" blueline prospects.

None of them are going to be dealt for the package offered in this thread. Let alone the one who looked better than all of the defensemen on the NHL roster outside of Letang last season.
Theirs a lot wrong with this post...
Teams trade value for value. So are you really saying none of the sens wing prospect other the. JS have similar/equal or above value then ur so called "top 6 d prospects".
Come on let's be realistic here.
Its pretty obvious that Pittsburgh is having or is about to have a surplus of young good dman. And Ottawa clearly has a surplus of young good forwards. Now i understand not all prospect pan out but both these teams should be trading from a position of strength to address a position of weakness.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMadahey View Post
Teams trade value for value. So are you really saying none of the sens wing prospect other the. JS have similar/equal or above value then ur so called "top 6 d prospects".
Its pretty obvious that Pittsburgh is having or is about to have a surplus of young good dman. And Ottawa clearly has a surplus of young good forwards. Now i understand not all prospect pan out but both these teams should be trading from a position of strength to address a position of weakness.
Why should the Penguins trade quality for quantity? We could just easily wait a few years and do another Goli/Neal instead of trading one of our top prospects for some projects. If you want a guy like Despres then give someone who hold similar value back in your oganization.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:09 PM
OMadahey

Personally I've never suggested a quality for quantity deal here. Re-read my post again if its not clear what I was suggesting. Which is...
These 2 teams seem like really good trading partners that could benefit both teams. But if Pitt fans are really thinking that all of their 6 d prospect hold immense value then u guys are clearly gonna get disappointed lol.but anyways

I'd like to see the sens go after either matta or Harrington. What do Pitt fans see as equal value for these 2 prospects individually

Old
12-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMadahey View Post

What I'm saying is that the Pens NHL blueline sucked last year, and will need to be restocked from within. Unless a wing prospect being offered is both of sufficient quality and on the cusp of playing in the NHL (Beau Bennett-esque or better), there's no desire on this end to deal any of the "Big 6".