HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hugh Jessiman To Play In Final Two Regular Season Games For The Big Green?

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Broadway Brett

vCash: 500
Hugh Jessiman To Play In Final Two Regular Season Games For The Big Green?

In the Post yesterday, Brooks said that Jessiman was cleared to play in the last two regular season games and the playoffs. Dartmouth's only hope of getting into the playoffs is by winning the ECAC Championship, which is possible with Jessiman. After Hugh was injured, the whole team went spiraling down, and maybe they will win the ECAC Championship with him back. It is evident that he is a vital part of the team and without him they suck. It would be pretty cool if they do make the playoffs and it would give Hugh a little big game experience.

Just thought I'd toss that out there...

And Brooks said that Jessiman is 6'6"!

Old
02-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Levitate

they're 10 points behind the ECAC leader at this point...jessiman would probably help but you also gotta consider he'll be rusty and the team might not be used to him being back

and yeah he's been listed as 6'6 before...dunno if he's really that tall or not

well he'll have plenty of time to develop at this point since we have no idea when we'll see the NHL again

Old
02-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
they're 10 points behind the ECAC leader at this point...jessiman would probably help but you also gotta consider he'll be rusty and the team might not be used to him being back

and yeah he's been listed as 6'6 before...dunno if he's really that tall or not

well he'll have plenty of time to develop at this point since we have no idea when we'll see the NHL again
I know that he'll be rusty, and that they are ten points back, but if they win the ECAC Championship they are in. Hopefully some of the rust will be off after the two regular season games. He really is the MVP of the team, as shown by his teams record without him.

Old
02-21-2005, 10:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
In the Post yesterday, Brooks said that Jessiman was cleared to play in the last two regular season games and the playoffs. Dartmouth's only hope of getting into the playoffs is by winning the ECAC Championship, which is possible with Jessiman. After Hugh was injured, the whole team went spiraling down, and maybe they will win the ECAC Championship with him back. It is evident that he is a vital part of the team and without him they suck. It would be pretty cool if they do make the playoffs and it would give Hugh a little big game experience.

Just thought I'd toss that out there...

And Brooks said that Jessiman is 6'6"!

Where in the Post?I have the print edition from yesterday but I can't find it

Old
02-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Where in the Post?I have the print edition from yesterday but I can't find it
I live in FL, and we get the FL edition. It's usually different, but it was towards the back. Page 66, I think.

Old
02-21-2005, 11:52 AM
NYR469

dartmouth only has 2 games left, next saturday and sunday...so if he is going to play i'm sure we'll here about it in the next few days as i'm sure the rangers will hype his return.

Old
02-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Fletch

Dartmouth..

has actually won 7 of the last 9 games. They seemed to struggle out of the box without Hugh, but adjusted. If I remember correctly, they do have one of the better defensive systems in the ECAC, which helps to win games (I forget where I heard/read that though).

Old
02-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

My two cents:

First off, I take whatever Brooks says with a grain of salt.

Second, Dartmouth's last two games are vs. Harvard and Brown, not exactly slouch teams this season. The ECACHL race has been very heated since December, so the Big Green will be in for the fight of their lives....with or without Jessiman. The good news for Dartmouth has been the fact that they've been able to get along very well without Jessiman. This is not to imply that Jessiman is not important to the team, because he is. Nick Johnson (a Pens prospect) has filled the void that Jessiman left very nicely. My guess is if and when coach Gaudet decides to insert him into the lineup, it'll be likely be gradually.

As of last week's PWR (pairwise rankings), Dartmouth was one of the "bubble" teams, meaning that even if they didn't win the ECACHL's auto-bid, they could conceivably still make the FF tourney with an at-large if they win the necessary games (particularly this weekend's game vs. Harvard because the Crimson are a ranked team in their conference) and get a little help from other "bubble" teams outside of their conference. Now keep in mind, the PWR changes with every game. I haven't looked at the PWR today, so I have no idea where Dartmouth is at the moment, but considering that they lost to Princeton on Friday night, their PWR numbers will have likely slipped. So beating Harvard at Thompson this weekend is so critical for Dartmouth.

With all that said, keep in mind of one thing....Clarkson was a low seeded team going into the ECACHL playoffs last year and came within a period (or so) of beating Harvard for the ECACHL's auto-bid, so ANYTHING is possible.

BTW, if Dartmouth reaches the ECACHL Championship game and if Jessiman does in fact play, you'll be able to see both on CSTV in mid-March.

Old
02-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
First off, I take whatever Brooks says with a grain of salt.

Second, Dartmouth's last two games are vs. Harvard and Brown, not exactly slouch teams this season. The ECACHL race has been very heated since December, so the Big Green will be in for the fight of their lives....with or without Jessiman. The good news for Dartmouth has been the fact that they've been able to get along very well without Jessiman. This is not to imply that Jessiman is not important to the team, because he is. Nick Johnson (a Pens prospect) has filled the void that Jessiman left very nicely. My guess is if and when coach Gaudet decides to insert him into the lineup, it'll be likely be gradually.

As of last week's PWR (pairwise rankings), Dartmouth was one of the "bubble" teams, meaning that even if they didn't win the ECACHL's auto-bid, they could conceivably still make the FF tourney with an at-large if they win the necessary games (particularly this weekend's game vs. Harvard because the Crimson are a ranked team in their conference) and get a little help from other "bubble" teams outside of their conference. Now keep in mind, the PWR changes with every game. I haven't looked at the PWR today, so I have no idea where Dartmouth is at the moment, but considering that they lost to Princeton on Friday night, their PWR numbers will have likely slipped. So beating Harvard at Thompson this weekend is so critical for Dartmouth.

With all that said, keep in mind of one thing....Clarkson was a low seeded team going into the ECACHL playoffs last year and came within a period (or so) of beating Harvard for the ECACHL's auto-bid, so ANYTHING is possible.

BTW, if Dartmouth reaches the ECACHL Championship game and if Jessiman does in fact play, you'll be able to see both on CSTV in mid-March.
Thanks for the insight! Maybe next time I should look up a bit more information rather than speak out of my ass regarding how well Dartmouth is doing.

You said that Dartmouth could still make the Frozen Four even if they don't win the ECAC Championship, but the best they could do is finish 4th in the ECAC. Wouldn't that put the teams in front of them ahead in the Polls and give them the best shot to make the Frozen Four.

Old
02-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
The good news for Dartmouth has been the fact that they've been able to get along very well without Jessiman. This is not to imply that Jessiman is not important to the team, because he is. Nick Johnson (a Pens prospect) has filled the void that Jessiman left very nicely.
I like the freshman Johnson, too bad we didn't draft him, i know our scouts must have seen him.

Old
02-21-2005, 07:21 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Thanks for the insight! Maybe next time I should look up a bit more information rather than speak out of my ass regarding how well Dartmouth is doing.

You said that Dartmouth could still make the Frozen Four even if they don't win the ECAC Championship, but the best they could do is finish 4th in the ECAC. Wouldn't that put the teams in front of them ahead in the Polls and give them the best shot to make the Frozen Four.
the best they can finish in the regular season is 4th in the ECAC which would give them a 1st round bye in the ecac playoffs, but even if they finish 5th they still get into that tourney.

the NCAA tourney is 16 teams--6 automatic bids (conference champs) and 10 at-large bids. so dartmouth has 2 ways of getting in, they could win the ECAC tourney and get an automatic bid or simply play well enough to move up the rankings to get an at-large bid...from there they would have to win 4 rounds to get to the finals just like everyone else.

and the teams ranked ahead of them in the ECAC wouldn't necessarily be ahead of them in the overall rankings because ECAC ranking is only for games within the conference, overall is for all games. if team A is 9-3 in the conference and 11-7 overall and team b is 8-4 in the conference and 12-6 overall than team A is better in the conference standings but team b is better overall.

Old
02-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
the best they can finish in the regular season is 4th in the ECAC which would give them a 1st round bye in the ecac playoffs, but even if they finish 5th they still get into that tourney.

the NCAA tourney is 16 teams--6 automatic bids (conference champs) and 10 at-large bids. so dartmouth has 2 ways of getting in, they could win the ECAC tourney and get an automatic bid or simply play well enough to move up the rankings to get an at-large bid...from there they would have to win 4 rounds to get to the finals just like everyone else.

and the teams ranked ahead of them in the ECAC wouldn't necessarily be ahead of them in the overall rankings because ECAC ranking is only for games within the conference, overall is for all games. if team A is 9-3 in the conference and 11-7 overall and team b is 8-4 in the conference and 12-6 overall than team A is better in the conference standings but team b is better overall.
I know what you said in the first two paragraphs, but Dartmouth would finish 4th in all games compared to other ECAC teams. So wouldn't that give them a better chance at getting a bid?

Old
02-21-2005, 08:53 PM
NYR469

Quote:
I know what you said in the first two paragraphs, but Dartmouth would finish 4th in all games compared to other ECAC teams. So wouldn't that give them a better chance at getting a bid?
give who a better chance at a bid?

Old
02-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
First off, you're wlecome, glad to be of service.

Finishing fourth doesn't necessarily give Dartmouth a better chance at getting either bid. As NYR469 mentioned, where they finish in the ECACHL rankings just means whether they get home ice or not in the opening round. The PWR, along with the KRACH and RPI [ratings percentage index] (the systems used in determining who goes to the FF tourney and who doesn't) is very complicated. What I can tell you is among the criterias used is records versus conference opponents, particularly those that are ranked and records versus ranked, non-conference opponents faced this season. You have to remember that Dartmouth is battling teams in other conferences such as the WCHA. The WCHA could conceivably send as many as four (maybe five) teams to the FF tourney with at large bids due to the strength of the conference. Again, alot will be determined in the next two weeks how the standings will play out in all the conferences. We'll know in early March whose going where. So stay tuned!

Old
02-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

DC beats Harvard 2-1 OT in Jessiman's return. Not much Jessiman, 1 shot on goal, 2 PIM's.

Closed Thread