HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

u17 World Challenge - Players To Watch

Old
12-23-2012, 05:20 PM
americanscout09

vCash: 500
u17 World Challenge - Players To Watch

Being that many already know the players to watch from Canada i will write about the other countries.

Sweden -
F - William Nylander - potentially the leading scorer at the tournament. threat every time he has the puck. Potential in draft - top 10

F - Anton Karlsson - Good size, strong on his feet. not a standout player like Nylander but is still very good. Him and Nylander together will be very dangerous. Has the ability to score goals with his shot.

D - Marcus Petterson - tall lanky defenseman. two way. Potential - late 1st early second round

G - Felix Sandstrom - Best goalie prospect. A 1997 birth year but still has a GAA of 1.17 in the J18 Elite League. Good size as well. (Top 15)

Others - Kempe, Kovacs, Lindbolm

USA

F - Jack Eichel - Stong player with powerful stride. Team USA's biggest threat. Potential - top 5 (2015 draft)

F - Sonny Milano- crafty player great skater great hands. weak defensively but very good offensively with Jack Eichel. Potential (Late 1st)

D - Ryan Collins - shut down d. hard checker good stick and feet. Will get heavy minutes in tournament. Potential mid first round

Others - F - Tuch, F - Iversson

Russia - they dont look very strong this year

F - Yevgeni Svechnikov - tall quick player good hands. controls play (late 2nd)

F - Ivan Nikolishin -Small crafty player. weak defensively but has the ability to weave in and out of players with ease. Outstanding on the pwerplay (Early-mid second round)

F - Ilya Zinoviev - Great energy, quick feet. Chippy and has a nose for the net. Will produce points in the tournament. Height is his downfall (Mid 3rd)

G - Maxim Tretiak - heard he is a great goalie. game i watched of them he was not playing. (keep an eye out for this kid)

Finland -

F - Kasper Kapanen - electrifying player. great hands, shot, speed. Potentially the best player here. He is by far the biggest threat from this team. (Top 10)

D - Eetu Sopanen - Big defenseman that will shut down the other teams top player. Will get big minutes. Needs to work on hands and skating a bit. (Late 1st)

F - Aleski Saarela - A 1997 birth year with elite vision and great hands. The ability to embarrass defenders and if given space in the offensive zone he will most likely score. Great prospect who will be great with Kapanen. Potential Top 5
F -

Last edited by americanscout09: 12-24-2012 at 10:14 AM.
americanscout09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:25 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanscout09 View Post
Being that many already know the players to watch from Canada i will write about the other countries.

Sweden -
F - William Nylander - potentially the leading scorer at the tournament. threat every time he has the puck. Potential in draft - top 10

F - Anton Karlsson - not a tall player but strong on his feet. not a standout player like Nylander but is still very good. Him and Nylander together will be very dangerous.

D - Marcus Petterson - tall lanky defenseman. two way. Potential - late 1st early second round

Others - Kempe, Kovacs

USA

F - Jack Eichel - Stong player with powerful stride. Team USA's biggest threat. Potential - top 5 (2015 draft)

F - Sonny Milano- crafty player great skater great hands. weak defensively but very good offensively with Jack Eichel. Potential (Late 1st early 2nd)

D - Ryan Collins - shut down d. hard checker good stick and feet. Will get heavy minutes in tournament. Potential mid first round

Others - F - Tuch, F - Iversson

Russia - they dont look very strong this year

F - Yevgeni Svechnikov - tall quick player good hands. controls play (late 2nd)

F - Ivan Nikolishin -Small crafty player. weak defensively but has the ability to weave in and out of players with ease. Outstanding on the pwerplay (Early-mid second round)

F - Ilya Zinoviev - Great energy, quick feet. Chippy and has a nose for the net. Will produce points in the tournament. Height is his downfall (Mid 3rd)

G - Maxim Tretiak - heard he is a great goalie. game i watched of them he was not playing. (keep an eye out for this kid)

Finland -

F - Kasper Kapanen - electrifying player. great hands, shot, speed. Potentially the best player here. He is by far the biggest threat from this team. (Top 10)

D - Eetu Sopanen - Big defenseman that will shut down the other teams top player. Will get big minutes. Needs to work on hands and skating a bit. (Mid 1st)
Is this a weak age group for USA?

Canada, other than Ontario, doesnt appear to be that strong.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Daneurism

the 96 Americans seem a bit below average(although, they're missing some key players)

The 97 class seem like early favorites for the tourny, next year.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 06:15 PM
YARR123

Some guys to look out for from team Finland:

Kasper Kapanen, W - 96, eligible for 2014. OP said it nicely. Very impressive player. Fast, skilled, and has an impressive shot for someone so young and light. Has a lot of work with improving his strength and defensive play. Also very inconsistent thus far, started the season slowly but has picked it up lately. Again, an undersized forward prospect from Finland at 5'10.

Mikko Rantanen, W - late 96, 2015 draft. Already played 3 games for TPS in SM-liiga and scored a goal. Don't know much about him but I hear he's a big body (6'1+) with a nice skillset. Not a very good skater, grew 3 inches since last year

Aleksi Saarela, C - 97, 2015 draft. Has thus far put up some of the most impressive stats in junior since I don't know who. Fierce competitor, not very tall but burly build (5'10, 185+), very strong skater. Plays a very complete game for his age. Already plays in jr. A against kids 2-4 years older than him, is his teams 1st line center

Julius Nättinen, C - 97, 2015 draft. Don't know that much about him yet but he's big and his stats are very impressive. Also plays in jr. A, like Saarela. He's a big kid at 6'2.

OP mentioned Eetu Sopanen, he's a good DD prospect but he's still got a mountain to climb and his offensive ceiling isn't very high from what I've seen. He shouldn't be a potential 1st rounder at this point.

Last edited by YARR123: 12-23-2012 at 06:22 PM.
YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 06:19 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Is Max Tretiak related to Vlad?

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Fin9*

Aleksi Saarela from Finland. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=94117

This kid has a star all over written him. 97 born too absolutely destroying every junior league in Finland. 2.33 PPG in Jr- B smliiga (u-18 league), not sure about hes u-20 stats. Plays as the 1 line center as a 15 year old. Not saying hes McDavid or anything that kid is pretty much miles ahead of everyone in this tournament, but he sure can make a big statement for himself.

Other top players from team Finland include Kasper Kapanen, unreal skating, offensive instincts already made a FEL debut just last week. Former NHLers Sami Kapanens son, i think this kid has what it takes to be a top 15 pick in the 2014 draft.

Julius Nättinen is another 97 born talent in this team. Is already very big for hes age and has great two-way play in him. Playing in u-20 (Jr - A smliiga) with impressive stats. Has has a big hockey family, most known of them, Joonas is an Habs prospect, and plays for the Bulldogs in the AHL currently.

I expect Connor McDavid to absolutely destroy this tournament. Nylander kid has some serious skills in him too, expect him to make a big difference.

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Fin9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Is Max Tretiak related to Vlad?
Grandson.

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Call me Suds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post

Team Atlantic is usually the weakest U17 team in Canada but this is one of their best groups since Gormley/Couturier and company. Kids like Nathan Noel, Clark Bishop, Duncan MacIntyre, Highmore, etc. It's not often Atlantic has this many kids already in the QMJHL and Noel is another slam dunk 1st overall pick in the Q much like MacKinnon.

Call me Suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 06:43 PM
fredligh

Dont want to sound like a thick Swedish homer but isnt Nylander considered top 3? He is tearing the U20 league up in Sweden and is three years younger than most of the guys playing. Seems like an elite offensive talent. No worries considering size either at almost 6"0 tall.

Daniel Sedin same age same league 96-97 26GP 26G 14A 40P
William Nylander 12-13 27GP 15G 28A 43P

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 07:06 PM
americanscout09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
the 96 Americans seem a bit below average(although, they're missing some key players)

I wouldn't say they are weak this year. They have three first rounders in the players i wrote about above. The three players that are missing (Pavelek, Wegwerth, Stevens) are not key players. The key players they are missing are in the CHL (Blake Clarke) and the USHL (Nick Schmaltz, Shane Gersich)

Old
12-23-2012, 07:09 PM
americanscout09

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post

I would say Ontario is the favorite for this tournament. The USA 96 group is actually very strong this year. Ive watched them play multiple times and they are very dangerous offensively and are well coached. There main problem is goaltending and they got that fixed by bringing in Bridsall from Cedar Rapids.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Greeningfan14

Saarela is definetly one to keep an eye on.

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 07:48 PM
EpicNeilTime

One player from Team Ontario to watch is Dante Salituro. He's probably one of the most underrated for his age group but has been nothing but dynamite this season for the 67's. Look for him to surprise some people. Countless amount of times this season he's been one of the best players on the ice for the 67's including Graovac, Monohan, Ceci, and others.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:35 PM
HabLover

Quote:

97's out West in Canada seem pretty strong, Team Pacific should be a decent team next year.

Of course out East, Ontario has McDavid to lead that group.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:11 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Suds View Post
Team Atlantic is usually the weakest U17 team in Canada but this is one of their best groups since Gormley/Couturier and company. Kids like Nathan Noel, Clark Bishop, Duncan MacIntyre, Highmore, etc. It's not often Atlantic has this many kids already in the QMJHL and Noel is another slam dunk 1st overall pick in the Q much like MacKinnon.
Agreed that this is a very strong Maritimes class but Noel is by no means a slamdunk for 1st overall in the QMJHL draft. He is definitely top-3 but the race for no. 1 pick is hotly contested. Most scouts I have spoken too at Q or Midget AAA games have him going second or third. He remains a great, great prospect and still in the hunt for no. 1 overall.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:18 PM
bsmith14

Can someone fill me in on why Barzal isnt playing as an underager if Noel, McDavid and Duschenes are? Thanks

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Can someone fill me in on why Barzal isnt playing as an underager if Noel, McDavid and Duschenes are? Thanks
Team Pacific do not take underagers.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:23 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:

The incoming class that the NTDP will have next year on the U17 team is shaping up to be one of the weakest teams the NTDP has assembled in recent memory. That's not to say they won't add outside talent for the tournament because of injuries, but the team as a whole is going to be pretty weak.

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:39 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissFC View Post
The incoming class that the NTDP will have next year on the U17 team is shaping up to be one of the weakest teams the NTDP has assembled in recent memory. That's not to say they won't add outside talent for the tournament because of injuries, but the team as a whole is going to be pretty weak.
Isn't it a little early to make this kind of statement without any justification (the poster you quoted is early as well)? Or do you know if all the top '97s have already turned down the NTDP since those would be the only ones with offers at this stage? It's certainly possible the '97 class doesn't live up to early hype but reports I've seen are that the '97 class looks pretty strong at this stage.

12-23-2012, 11:09 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Isn't it a little early to make this kind of statement without any justification (the poster you quoted is early as well)? Or do you know if all the top '97s have already turned down the NTDP since those would be the only ones with offers at this stage? It's certainly possible the '97 class doesn't live up to early hype but reports I've seen are that the '97 class looks pretty strong at this stage.
I'm not going to go into a ton of detail, but here's why I think I can make that statement.

Lots of top players are going the CHL route and it's not difficult to figure out who those guys are. Some have signed with WHL clubs already.

Year two of the tender rule in the USHL has really stepped up the battle between NTDP v. 15 member clubs. Askew and Dello would have been NTDP locks and there are several other guys that are in talks with teams about tendering in the coming months.

I don't haven't looked into this at this point, but I've heard the NTDP is already holding spots for guys next season because of tender rule.

I think a lot of players are seeing the writing on the wall that the NTDP benefits about 11 players and that's it. You look at guys like Josh Jacobs and Seamus Malone who have both benefited more this year by not ending up in Ann Arbor. Jacobs is playing top pairing minutes and has improved every time I've seen him this year. Kid could easily be a top sixty pick next June.

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 03:01 AM
americanscout09

nylander is the best

Last edited by americanscout09: 07-05-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old
12-24-2012, 03:24 AM
alko

From Slovakia i would say -
- Erik Cernak - 1997 born Defensman, who plays already in SVK U20 league
- Adrian Sloboda - another promising D

from forwards look for trio Mily - Krasnican - Ferenc.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Huffman

Weird that Rasmus Andersson has not been mentioned. Eligible for the 2015 draft, already plays good minutes in Allsvenskan with PP time. I've heard great things about Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson as well.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 03:44 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
Weird that Rasmus Andersson has not been mentioned. Eligible for the 2015 draft, already plays good minutes in Allsvenskan with PP time. I've heard great things about Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson as well.
Yeah, good names. Nylander and Andersson imo are the best at respective position, and Sandstrom just might the best Swedish G prospect since Markstrom. But this is shaping up to be a great age group for Sweden so you could mention half the team.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 03:46 AM
novon04

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredligh View Post
Dont want to sound like a thick Swedish homer but isnt Nylander considered top 3? He is tearing the U20 league up in Sweden and is three years younger than most of the guys playing. Seems like an elite offensive talent. No worries considering size either at almost 6"0 tall.

Daniel Sedin same age same league 96-97 26GP 26G 14A 40P
William Nylander 12-13 27GP 15G 28A 43P
I think Nylander is 5'11 or slightly less. Was probably the thinnest player on the ice when I watched him play, not that suprising though considering most other players were 2-3 years older.

novon04 is offline   Reply With Quote