HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2012, 09:54 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

vCash: 500
After everyone proclaimed the Niners Super Bowl champs last week, they're getting blown out by the Seahawks.

It's nice to watch a good team.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:07 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm actually okay with some of the biggest guys being cut or let go. Harrison, Woodley, Polamalu (sadly), Wallace, Hamp, Mendenhall, etc.

Guys we need to make sure stay Steelers - Miller, Ben, Timmons (never thought I'd admit that).

This team needs an overhaul and a different identity. We also need to get some hunger, too.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm actually okay with some of the biggest guys being cut or let go. Harrison, Woodley, Polamalu (sadly), Wallace, Hamp, Mendenhall, etc.

Guys we need to make sure stay Steelers - Miller, Ben, Timmons (never thought I'd admit that).

This team needs an overhaul and a different identity. We also need to get some hunger, too.
I wouldn't cut them. We actually need those player and I don't see the Steelers succeeding without them. The Steelers are not going to get upgrades at those positions in the draft and free agency in one year. I just think the Steelers need depth. Mendenhall and Wallace can just go to UFA. But I think we need to keep Polamalu, Woodley and Harrison. Just draft depth at those positions.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I don't think the Steelers should let Wallace walk, if he's still demanding top 5 receiver money then sure, but I think he will be hard to replace. If we don't bring back Wallace, and I've mentioned this before, the Steelers should try to make a trade for Steve Breaston. He was a successful WR under Todd Haley with the Cardinals and the Chiefs. This year, he barely played and only had 7 receptions for 74 yards. That's if the Steelers keep Haley, which I think they will.

Last edited by Flat Stanley: 12-23-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old
12-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Nice of RoethlisClaus to start giving away games for Christmas the past few weeks.

Seriously, I don't think the Steelers need major changes. They just had one of those bad years they have every few years. It's sort of a cycle with them. They do need to get younger in certain spots but so do most teams and they don't need to get rid of veterans to do that. It's not like a bunch of draft picks are coming in and replacing these guys in the starting lineup immediately. That will take time.

The Steelers reminded me of a bad baseball team that hits and can't pitch then starts pitching well and can't hit anymore. The O started the season solid while the D sucked then the D got a lot better as the season went along and that's when the offense went downhill. They just could never get healthy and get the team clicking on all cylinders. Hopefully they can do that next season.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

Polamalu remains a force when he is on the field. However, what have you gotten from him the last five years? 2-5 games a year? Often not there post season? I am not accusing him of dogging it, his style of play invites injury and no doubt the injuries are very real. The thing is though if he can not give you more than a quarter of third of a season, is he worth it? I have not been sure for a few years now already. Would we have won more games with a decent safety in their who gave you an entire year over a Polamalu who gave you a few games or so each year, no matter how spectacular they were? I think that the answer is obvious.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:48 AM
Iggy Smalls

Despite Wallace's many drops, I do think the Steelers become a worse team without him. In a down year, I thought it was pretty apparent even a suck-ish Wallace can change the outcome of a game. I hope a deal can be reached.

I'm done with Hampton and Mendenhall; Eddie Lacy could be a great later pick at RB in the draft. I also still believe Polomalu has more stellar play to offer. Besides, the Steelers need him to mentor Manti Te'o anyway.

Overall, It's extremely frustrating the majority if not all the Steelers' woes were dealt via themselves. They tried to find a new way to beat themselves almost every week and succeeded.

Go Pirates?

Old
12-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangBanged View Post
Despite Wallace's many drops, I do think the Steelers become a worse team without him. In a down year, I thought it was pretty apparent even a suck-ish Wallace can change the outcome of a game. I hope a deal can be reached.

I'm done with Hampton and Mendenhall; Eddie Lacy could be a great later pick at RB in the draft. I also still believe Polomalu has more stellar play to offer. Besides, the Steelers need him to mentor Manti Te'o anyway.

Overall, It's extremely frustrating the majority if not all the Steelers' woes were dealt via themselves. They tried to find a new way to beat themselves almost every week and succeeded.

Go Pirates?
Wallace did not want to be here. He was going through the motions. For a guy that talented going through the motions still can look good at times. But it was obvious. Do we even want a guy here with an attitude issue and chip on his shoulder? Maybe. But Wallace looked different because he was pouting and letting everyone know.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:05 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Who returns depends on cap situation and the draft. I would not overreact to this season though. They played well but just shot themselves in the foot way too many times. They did not look like a team that needs completely overhauled or blown up to me. A team like the Eagles is the type of team that probably needs a huge overhaul or completely blown up. This Steelers team can easily rebound next year imo.

I'd keep Harrison, Woodley and TP for sure. I'd bring Hampton and Mendy back if the price is right. I'd probably let Wallace walk and take the comp pick. My biggest UFA priority would be Keenan Lewis.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:18 AM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Is anyone going to throw a fit if the team I'm rooting for to win the Super Bowl is the Seachickens?

Old
12-24-2012, 04:40 AM
sniugneP

Quote:

Wow, that's a lot of veterans to cut. I would have let Hampton go. We may have to restructure some of these veterans' contracts.

Rey Maualuga will be a free agent after this season so if we can get him, then we cut Foote. I think he's a good fit for us.

I would bring Wallace and/or Mendy back if the price is right.

Polamalu did play free safety in last few games. That's what he needs to do to keep him healthy for next season.

Lewis is definitely a top priority to re-sign.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:41 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Is anyone going to throw a fit if the team I'm rooting for to win the Super Bowl is the Seachickens?
Nope. Maybe they'll finally get over losing SB40 if they win it all.

Russell Wilson is impressive though. I can't believe how good he is considering he's about 5'10". He really does remind me of those Fran Tarkenton highlights.

I really don't care who wins it all this year. I don't want the Ravens to win and I guess I shouldn't want the Bengals to win but I do have a soft spot for the Bengals since that fan base has had to endure an almost Pirates-esque organization over the years. Looks like they finally have it turned around. Although I wasn't overly impressed by them yesterday and don't think they'll go very far in the playoffs.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:45 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
After everyone proclaimed the Niners Super Bowl champs last week, they're getting blown out by the Seahawks.

It's nice to watch a good team.
Russell Wilson impressed me more than any rookie QBs in NFL. I have been a fan of his since he played in Wisconsin. I wanted Steelers draft him for backup to Ben but I never thought he would become a starter in Seattle right away. Seattle took a gamble on him and it paid off big time.

Richard Sherman is an elite corner. Seattle got a huge steal, he was drafted in fifth round in 2011.

Last edited by sniugneP: 12-24-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old
12-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Did Hampton play that badly this season? He seemed to do his job for the most part and the Steelers don't seem to have an heir apparent with Ta'amu in the dog house with his legal issues. I suppose if a stud NT falls their way early in the draft he may become expendable but I think the Steelers would probably want to keep Hamp around on the cheap if possible.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:51 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Nope. Maybe they'll finally get over losing SB40 if they win it all.

Russell Wilson is impressive though. I can't believe how good he is considering he's about 5'10". He really does remind me of those Fran Tarkenton highlights.

I really don't care who wins it all this year. I don't want the Ravens to win and I guess I shouldn't want the Bengals to win but I do have a soft spot for the Bengals since that fan base has had to endure an almost Pirates-esque organization over the years. Looks like they finally have it turned around. Although I wasn't overly impressed by them yesterday and don't think they'll go very far in the playoffs.
Yeah, most QBs under 6 feet can't play in NFL but Wilson is an exception.

I don't care who win SB but I don't want both Harbaughs win SB ever.

Old
12-24-2012, 08:45 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:

Thank you, he's the only one I would cut. He can't stay healthy and gets hurt nearly every game, and doesn't make a impact on the field.

This man can and will do that.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Steelers have serious cap issues for next season, as they stand. They can rework Woodley and Timmons for some room, but whether or not they cut Colon before or after June 1st, it is going to hurt them next season or in 2014 because of his restructuring. Colon has to be one of the worst signings by this org in years, simply due to his health.

This team needs an infusion of speed on defense and more playmakers. It is a real shame Spence got hurt, because he could of been an answer to both of those problems. Now you have to wait another season to find out.

I think Polo can play a couple more seasons as a traditional SS and do well in that role. I'm happy with their corners and think a true man press scheme with Ike, Lewis and Allen (ala SF) would be tough to beat.

I think there is talent on both lines, but it has to be utilized and coached better.

I think this team needs more speed at Lb and a playmaking FS. On offense, they need a big, physical WR and a legit #1 rb who is also a threat out of the backfield. They won't have cap room to play in FA, as usual. So hopefully they can address these needs through the draft.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:41 AM
penguins2946*

In my opinion, the Steelers need to do 1 of 2 things: Trade Ben or fire Tomlin. Ben is injury prone now and blew 2 games that would determine the playoffs. Both of those losses, both against the Cowboys and the Bengals, are on him. The other would be fire Tomlin, simply because the coach is always one of the first to go. I think they should do the first.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:45 AM
sniugneP

That won't happen.

Trade Ben because he blew 2 games? Have you watch a whole season?

As for Tomlin, Steelers would never fire him for a single mediocre season. Cowher had 3 straight non-playoff years and they didn't fire him.

Last edited by sniugneP: 12-24-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old
12-24-2012, 09:47 AM
UnrealMachine

The biggest priorities for the draft are safety and qb. The Steelers will actually be in a good position in both rounds 1 & 2 to grab nearly the best players at both positions. The time to start looking for the next franchise qb, or at a minimum a solid backup, is sooner than later. Ben has multiple injuries every season and he is not going to last as long as expected. Our current depth at that position speaks for itself. Losing next weeks game should seriously be considered as we could move up several positions at the draft.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:53 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
The biggest priorities for the draft are safety and qb. The Steelers will actually be in a good position in both rounds 1 & 2 to grab nearly the best players at both positions. The time to start looking for the next franchise qb, or at a minimum a solid backup, is sooner than later. Ben has multiple injuries every season and he is not going to last as long as expected. Our current depth at that position speaks for itself. Losing next weeks game should seriously be considered as we could move up several positions at the draft.
There is no franchise-type QB available in this draft but I agree we need a solid backup to Ben.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:03 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Polamalu remains a force when he is on the field. However, what have you gotten from him the last five years? 2-5 games a year? Often not there post season? I am not accusing him of dogging it, his style of play invites injury and no doubt the injuries are very real. The thing is though if he can not give you more than a quarter of third of a season, is he worth it? I have not been sure for a few years now already. Would we have won more games with a decent safety in their who gave you an entire year over a Polamalu who gave you a few games or so each year, no matter how spectacular they were? I think that the answer is obvious.
I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's mind that we would win more games if Troy stays healthy. He's a once in a lifetime player and I cannot speak highly enough for him. He's a God in this town and he deserves to be a legend for a long long time.

But yes, you are 100% right. He's rarely healthy. When he is, he doesn't stay healthy long enough to get into his groove.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Flat Stanley

We do need a better backup QB. Steelers could try the 3rd round, E.J. Manuel from Florida State would be a guy to look at. 6'5" 234 lbs. He's accurate, athletic and projected to be a 3rd round pick in the draft.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Iggy Smalls

Unless his stock drastically rose recently, I think Landry Jones is expected to be available in rounds 2-4 as well. I think he'd be an interesting fit.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Flat Stanley

Steelers opponents next season.

Home:

Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Tennessee Titans

Away:

Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Green Bay Packers
Oakland Raiders
Minnesota Vikings (London)

Old
12-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I hate that we have a game in London. We may as well be playing in Timbuktu.

Closed Thread