HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
ya, the players never will. The coaches likely won't either. Management could though. They could have told Tomlin to sit Ben and Troy and whoever else and use the game as a preseason type tryout for other guys. That's the sort of idea I think a lot of people rooting against us wish we had done. That might not be intentionally losing, but its not doing your best to win either. I'm glad we didn't do it. If we had sat those guys and lost to Cleveland, I think it would have been more than a small matter. The organization would have lost a lot of respect from its players.

The only time I would want to sit guys like that is when the game is meaningless for the opposite reason and we are resting up for the playoffs.
IMHO, Roth should have sat along with other starters. It is more about keeping them healthy, than anything to me. I think ATL had two starters hurt in a meaningless game Sunday.

Why risk a head or knee injury to a guy like Roth when the game means zilch?

You are always one hit away from retirement in this game, so why not give some young guys a look and keep your franchise on the sideline?

Old
01-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
IMHO, Roth should have sat along with other starters. It is more about keeping them healthy, than anything to me. I think ATL had two starters hurt in a meaningless game Sunday.

Why risk a head or knee injury to a guy like Roth when the game means zilch?

You are always one hit away from retirement in this game, so why not give some young guys a look and keep your franchise on the sideline?
you play them so you have a better chance to win the game.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:09 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
JTG, if Warmack and Te'o are available at 17th, who would you pick?
Oh wow.

Te'o, but because I have them ranked very similarly, but Te'o represents a need. Warmack very well may be the better player though. We're talking about a guy who will step into the league from day 1 and be an impact.

Scouts and analysts are calling Chance Warmack the best guard they have EVER evaluated. Think about that for a second...

Old
01-01-2013, 08:28 PM
JTG

Quote:
So if Ben had a career ending injury in a meaningless game, you'd still stick by "well you always go out to win?"

In a meaningless game, I'd sit the guys I need to be successful next season, and take it as opportunity to look at guys I need to get a better look at to prepare my roster for 2013-14. Same premise that playoff teams sit their best guys when they have a division locked up. No reason to risk an injury for something that really means nothing.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:42 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
JTG, if Warmack and Te'o are available at 17th, who would you pick?
Warmack.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
01-01-2013, 08:54 PM
sniugneP

It's close but I pick Te'o. He fills our need at ILB.

If Steelers fail to sign Foster, we may have to draft Warmack.

Warmack-Pouncey-DeCastro. Sick interior linemen!

Old
01-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

I'd say Te'o. Fits more of a need. New emotional leader and face of our defense. That itself may become a huge factor in the near future.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
So if Ben had a career ending injury in a meaningless game, you'd still stick by "well you always go out to win?"

In a meaningless game, I'd sit the guys I need to be successful next season, and take it as opportunity to look at guys I need to get a better look at to prepare my roster for 2013-14. Same premise that playoff teams sit their best guys when they have a division locked up. No reason to risk an injury for something that really means nothing.
he could have a career ending injury every time he steps on the field. I think maintaining the respect of the players is more important than avoiding that risk. If Tomlin asked every player on the Steelers roster if they would rather play to win or play for next season, I would wager every single one of them would say play to win. I don't care if you are asking guys like Roethlesberger and Polamolu or guys like Sylvester and Worilds. The Steelers are an origination that prides itself on winning football games. That pride comes through in the way everything is done in that organization. This works its way through the organization, to the coaches and to the players to make sure that everyone in that organization has a winning attitude. I don't want to see that change because someone might get hurt or we might end up with a worse draft position.

Pro athletes are prideful creatures. I really don't think there is such a thing as a meaningless game to those guys.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 01-01-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 09:12 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
he could have a career ending injury every time he steps on the field.
I think that does more to prove his point than yours lol.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I think that does more to prove his point than yours lol.
the point is you can't really think of that when you go out to play. Each of these guys have so many chances to sustain career ending injuries that the difference of 1 or 2 games in a career is all but meaningless. The closest Ben has ever come to a career ending injury happened while he was riding a motorcycle in the offseason.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
It's a meaningless game, but that doesn't make it any less violent.

Hard to forget how Roth got bent sideways agt Cleveland last Dec.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
he could have a career ending injury every time he steps on the field. I think maintaining the respect of the players is more important than avoiding that risk. If Tomlin asked every player on the Steelers roster if they would rather play to win or play for next season, I would wager every single one of them would say play to win. I don't care if you are asking guys like Roethlesberger and Polamolu or guys like Sylvester and Worilds. The Steelers are an origination that prides itself on winning football games. That pride comes through in the way everything is done in that organization. This works its way through the organization, to the coaches and to the players to make sure that everyone in that organization has a winning attitude. I don't want to see that change because someone might get hurt or we might end up with a worse draft position.

Pro athletes are prideful creatures. I really don't think there is such a thing as a meaningless game to those guys.
Guys like Clark are always talking about the risk you take going out on that field, but they know one hit could end or alter your career. These guys are full of pride, but if Tomlin made the decision for them, I highly suspect they would be fine with it and secretly appreciate it.

It's Tomlin's job to tell them to take a seat on the bench and give them no option.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Flat Stanley

Keenan Lewis says he was misquoted by the media. This was posted by Mark Kaboly.

Quote:
Free agent cornerback Keenan Lewis said he didn't say that the Steelers made a mistake by not signing him last year.

It's 2013, so, of course, Lewis took to Twitter to clear things up

"I was misquoted by a reporter saying it was a mistake not to give me a contract last year. Try to make my image look bad, but here Wat it is, I'm not money greedy, I had my exit meeting today and it went great. I know we in the right direction as far as a contract, I believe strongly I would be apart of Steeler Nation next season. To do a three peat as the number one pass defense period. Here we go," Lewis said.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:52 AM
PensFan68

Quote:

As for the first bold, IMO, what they'd say and feel are completely different. Of course they'd say they want to win a meaningless game. If not, they'd be crucified. However, I feel they'd rather look towards the next season than win a game that means absolutely nothing. As I said, this is just my opinion, and we'll really never know, but why would they risk career injury (or even if you want to go that route, better draft pick to give them a possibly better player) for a game that means nothing? I'm a competitor and always want to win, but you also have to look at the future in everything you do.

As for the second bold, that is very true. As much as I don't think the Steelers gave a crap about winning, I look at the Pirates. They've been out of playoff contention year after year, but continue to try (well, may not all of them). Even when the Pens were horrid, they had players out there giving it their all the entire season. Don't know if it's more playing for a job the next year, or just still having that inside desire to win.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:54 AM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Keenan Lewis says he was misquoted by the media. This was posted by Mark Kaboly.
Only thing about the tweet, he didn't mention what he said that was taken out of context. If it was taken out of context, wouldn't you explain yourself?

Old
01-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Flat Stanley

He didn't really explain himself but he did say they are in the right direction in terms of a contract. He also said he believes he will be back on the Steelers next season. We'll see if he means it, I believe the Steelers would franchise tag him and try to sign him long term.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:30 AM
sniugneP

Clowney made an absolutely bone-crushing hit. Never seen anything like this.

Vincent Smith just lost the ball, his helmet and his will to live. I don't know how he's still conscious after being a victim of the hit. I love how his helmet flew 10 yards back.

After watching replays, I was impressed how he picked up the ball after the hit.

Last edited by sniugneP: 01-02-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old
01-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

^ Yeah, I saw that Clowney hit yesterday. He actually had a few other bone crushing hits too. There will be some serious tanking going on for that kid late next season.

Quote:
Hopefully this is true. It's good to hear that he at least has a positive attitude about the team and that he's confident things will work out as far as a contract.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Guys like Clark are always talking about the risk you take going out on that field, but they know one hit could end or alter your career. These guys are full of pride, but if Tomlin made the decision for them, I highly suspect they would be fine with it and secretly appreciate it.

It's Tomlin's job to tell them to take a seat on the bench and give them no option.
If player health is the only motivation, maybe. If the organization legitimately doesn't care if they lose the game because they want to improve their draft position, the players are not going to be happy about that.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
If player health is the only motivation, maybe. If the organization legitimately doesn't care if they lose the game because they want to improve their draft position, the players are not going to be happy about that.
The Steelers have never been known for throwing games, so I doubt that would even enter the player's minds.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
The Steelers have never been known for throwing games, so I doubt that would even enter the player's minds.
this has turned into an entirely different issue than I was talking about earlier if its no longer about the importance of winning or losing.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
this has turned into an entirely different issue than I was talking about earlier if its no longer about the importance of winning or losing.
It is still about winning and losing.

Basically is it a good idea to play your franchise Qb and other starters in a meaningless game, just to win it? I say no way.

Is losing several spots in the draft a big deal? It most certainly can be.

Should mgmt go all Indy Colts and tank a game? No, I expect better from the Steelers. However, I expect them to protect their players when they can and Tomlin failed to do that Sunday.

I had hopes Tomlin would sit his starters and if they lost, honestly, who cares?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
SteelFish87*

i think we should draft OLB. Seems like there are 5-6 with 1st rd potential

Old
01-02-2013, 11:06 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
well it was a mistake for the steelers not signing him last year

now they will have to pay

they always screw these type of things up by not re-signing players in advance to their contract expiring

Old
01-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Flat Stanley

Ray Lewis is retiring after this season.

Closed Thread