HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For the Oldtimers - colored skates in 70/71?

Old
03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
SealsFan

vCash: 500
For the Oldtimers - colored skates in 70/71?

Does anyone know for how many games, and for which specific games, the Pens wore colored skates in the 70-71 season? I've seen a few pictures; they're powder blue with navy trim. The Blues did this for a few games too that season, probably both were following the Seals lead but realized it was a dumb idea and scrapped it (the Seals trainer had to repaint the skates between games!)

I do know one of the games was vs. Chicago as there's a pic in a Bobby Hull book.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:36 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Does anyone know for how many games, and for which specific games, the Pens wore colored skates in the 70-71 season? I've seen a few pictures; they're powder blue with navy trim. The Blues did this for a few games too that season, probably both were following the Seals lead but realized it was a dumb idea and scrapped it (the Seals trainer had to repaint the skates between games!)

I do know one of the games was vs. Chicago as there's a pic in a Bobby Hull book.
can't ans. your question but i had a pair with blackhawk colors.

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:

Don't tell me you liked those skates! Sorry, but they looked like a bunch of figure skaters.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:44 PM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Don't tell me you liked those skates! Sorry, but they looked like a bunch of figure skaters.

Well they were different, a 70's kinda thing. But a real rarity because it's hard to get any info or pics of them. I have an old hockey magazine from that year with a pic of Garry Unger of St. Louis on the cover wearing blue/yellow skates. Of course, the Seals went through four different versions of colored skates from 1970 through 1974.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:44 PM
SealsFan

Wow, here's a gorgeous pic on Ebay of Pens vs. Blues with BOTH teams wearing colored skates!!! Kinda pricey for the pic but I'm real tempted...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330558310988...84.m1438.l2649

Old
01-04-2013, 10:00 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Wow, here's a gorgeous pic on Ebay of Pens vs. Blues with BOTH teams wearing colored skates!!! Kinda pricey for the pic but I'm real tempted...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330558310988...84.m1438.l2649
Cool find. Thanks for sharing!

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote