HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For the Oldtimers - colored skates in 70/71?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
  #1
SealsFan
Registered User
 
SealsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
For the Oldtimers - colored skates in 70/71?

Does anyone know for how many games, and for which specific games, the Pens wore colored skates in the 70-71 season? I've seen a few pictures; they're powder blue with navy trim. The Blues did this for a few games too that season, probably both were following the Seals lead but realized it was a dumb idea and scrapped it (the Seals trainer had to repaint the skates between games!)

I do know one of the games was vs. Chicago as there's a pic in a Bobby Hull book.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:36 PM
  #2
The Old Master
Registered User
 
The Old Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: burgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Does anyone know for how many games, and for which specific games, the Pens wore colored skates in the 70-71 season? I've seen a few pictures; they're powder blue with navy trim. The Blues did this for a few games too that season, probably both were following the Seals lead but realized it was a dumb idea and scrapped it (the Seals trainer had to repaint the skates between games!)

I do know one of the games was vs. Chicago as there's a pic in a Bobby Hull book.
can't ans. your question but i had a pair with blackhawk colors.

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
  #3
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Does anyone know for how many games, and for which specific games, the Pens wore colored skates in the 70-71 season? I've seen a few pictures; they're powder blue with navy trim. The Blues did this for a few games too that season, probably both were following the Seals lead but realized it was a dumb idea and scrapped it (the Seals trainer had to repaint the skates between games!)

I do know one of the games was vs. Chicago as there's a pic in a Bobby Hull book.
Don't tell me you liked those skates! Sorry, but they looked like a bunch of figure skaters.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:44 PM
  #4
SealsFan
Registered User
 
SealsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Don't tell me you liked those skates! Sorry, but they looked like a bunch of figure skaters.

Well they were different, a 70's kinda thing. But a real rarity because it's hard to get any info or pics of them. I have an old hockey magazine from that year with a pic of Garry Unger of St. Louis on the cover wearing blue/yellow skates. Of course, the Seals went through four different versions of colored skates from 1970 through 1974.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:44 PM
  #5
SealsFan
Registered User
 
SealsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Wow, here's a gorgeous pic on Ebay of Pens vs. Blues with BOTH teams wearing colored skates!!! Kinda pricey for the pic but I'm real tempted...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330558310988...84.m1438.l2649

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:00 PM
  #6
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13
 
mrzeigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Wow, here's a gorgeous pic on Ebay of Pens vs. Blues with BOTH teams wearing colored skates!!! Kinda pricey for the pic but I'm real tempted...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330558310988...84.m1438.l2649
Cool find. Thanks for sharing!

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.