HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Off-topic Thread XLVII-Santa Claus is coming...

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 09:13 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
hey, potential good news- Blue Monday the most depressing day of the year is Jan 21st this year, but if the lockout ends it could be Blues Monday as in St Louis and Chicago on NHL Network but more importantly to us BRUINS could be back and playing.

if I am running the NHL (and I should be) I would have a bunch of games that night (15) and offer all sorts of perks, discounts, treats, and market it with the Blues playing on NHL Network and make that night and the next month or even the season FREE Center ICE

All teams top rival should be scheduled that night- give away posters, sun glasses to everyone, and do half way thru all three periods 2 tix for a free trip to see the Bruins, hotel, and autograph stick to every away game the rest of year.

GET AWAY with the NHL should be promoted and with airlines as a sponser these teams should do this, this year and every year.
Um, I'm the only one that is allowed to be depressed that day because it's my birthday!

I agree Dan, you should be running the NHL.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
20'' of snow!

Xmas is over! no need for the white stuff.
be careful you......

Old
12-28-2012, 07:08 AM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Heading up to NH after work this evening for a weekend on the slopes. Very pleased to see that Bretton Woods went from 30 to 90+ trails open in the last week. More snow please.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:35 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
Am I the only one who took off this week?
I'm in sales, so I couldn't take the last week of the year off even if I wanted to. That being said, I'm exceptionally jealous of those who can...

Old
12-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

yay calling the neurologist today

I'm a little afraid of what he will say if he looks in this brain and sees the OT thread.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:52 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Okay camera experts. I need help with finding an SLR that isn't too complicated. We need something with a decent all around lens, and won't really be switching it out regularly. What we need is something that can capture action pictures, as on of our girls never sits still long enough for a good photo. She's constantly moving, so we need something that can keep up with her and not be blurry.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Okay camera experts. I need help with finding an SLR that isn't too complicated. We need something with a decent all around lens, and won't really be switching it out regularly. What we need is something that can capture action pictures, as on of our girls never sits still long enough for a good photo. She's constantly moving, so we need something that can keep up with her and not be blurry.
Nikon D-90.

shoot in shutter priority (s) at 1/125 or 1/200......good to go

Old
12-28-2012, 07:59 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalFan View Post
So I took this photo of my Dad's house on Christmas eve. Played with it a bit in Lightroom to make it prettier. I don't own a tripod yet, so the lights blurred no matter what I did, so in post processing I decreased the clarity to make the lights look fuzzy on purpose.

and here's his door wreath with a little tweaking:

and here's a couple from the game I went to at the Dunk:

Great pics!

Old
12-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

This is my first time working at all between Christmas and New Years...granted, I only worked yesterday and today. In a weird sort of way, it's kind of been nice. Took away a lot of the end of year panic to get everything done before I left for Christmask, and the office has been dead. It seems like quite a few people did the same thing, there were a lot more people here yesterday that are taking today and monday off.

I'm off Monday too. And, to be honest, since I had no plans this break it was kind of nice to get off the couch the last 2 days!

Old
12-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Spoked-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
Nikon D-90.

shoot in shutter priority (s) at 1/125 or 1/200......good to go
It always depends on what he's willing to spend. I'd recommend a D7000 ahead of a D90, simply for better high-ISO. Another option is the D90, but also purchasing the SB-700 (shoe-mounted flash) along with it. Even high ISO won't save you in a low light situation w/ a subject that's moving all over the place (especially with a kit lens that probably only opens up to f/4 [maybe f/3.5] at best, and usually f/5.6 at the long end).

So, Lonnie, what's your budget, and we can go from there

Old
12-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post
It always depends on what he's willing to spend. I'd recommend a D7000 ahead of a D90, simply for better high-ISO. Another option is the D90, but also purchasing the SB-700 (shoe-mounted flash) along with it. Even high ISO won't save you in a low light situation w/ a subject that's moving all over the place (especially with a kit lens that probably only opens up to f/4 [maybe f/3.5] at best, and usually f/5.6 at the long end).

I was going for cheap

D-7000 is far superior... (says the girl that owns the D-7000)
I loved my 90 tho. It is sitting under my entertainment center gathering fungus

Last edited by Kovi: 12-28-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old
12-28-2012, 08:56 AM
chuckdobbins

I think we have a D90. We HAD a D60 and then switched to the 90.

I could be wrong on both of those, but those are the names jumping out at me. FWIW, I enjoyed them both.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I think we have a D90. We HAD a D60 and then switched to the 90.

I could be wrong on both of those, but those are the names jumping out at me. FWIW, I enjoyed them both.
no that sounds right.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:12 AM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
no that sounds right.
Or maybe we went D40 to D60 (or D90)

I have no idea. It's a Nikon and it works Casey likes it so that's all that matters I guess

Old
12-28-2012, 10:05 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post

You dare ask a man of unlimited means like myself what his budget is, O?

In all seriousness though, I'm not even sure. I'm starting to realize that a decent camera is going to cost us at least a grand and likely run far more than that. After looking at the suggested models, I see a lot of them are sold without a lens. What type of all purpose lens would be a good fit for what we need?

Old
12-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Spoked-B

Quote:
You dare ask a man of unlimited means like myself what his budget is, O?

In all seriousness though, I'm not even sure. I'm starting to realize that a decent camera is going to cost us at least a grand and likely run far more than that. After looking at the suggested models, I see a lot of them are sold without a lens. What type of all purpose lens would be a good fit for what we need?
Unlimited means, huh? In that case, I think you want a D4, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, 200 f/2 VRII, 300 f/2.8 VRII, 400 f/2.8 VRII, 14-24 f/2.8, 28 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 105 f/2.8 macro, and say 6 SB-910s to start. Probaly some pocket wizards, as well

In all seriousness, I was typing things out, and going over kit lenses vs. primes, vs. blah blah and decided that instead of boring you w/ details, here's a pretty nice kit that will last for a while and give you some spectacular pictures:

D7000
18-105mm

35mm f/1.8
85mm f/1.8
SB-700

Yes, that's about $2K, but not only should it last for years, but definitely sticks to the motto of "buy once, cry once".

What the above gives you is a very good camera, a kit lens that gives you zoom, and two lenses that will be fantastic for lower-light conditions (where the kit lens just can't keep up). The two fast (read: f/1.8) lenses will also give you the ability to get that shallow depth of field look where, when you nail the focus on the eyes of the subject, the out of focus elements "melt away".

Edit: I just went the all Nikon route, above. There are some fine lenses from Sigma and Tamron, which cost less (and some times significantly less). Kovi can speak for the Tamron lineup. I'm almost completely Nikon, save for one Sigma lens (50mm f/1.4, but I may get a couple of others, at some point, as I hear their 85 f/1.4 and 30 f/1.4 are pretty good, as well)

Last edited by Spoked-B: 12-28-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

I am in a wicked post-lunch coma at the moment. I need a nap.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:17 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll have my tech support/electronics expert look into them to see what she wants to go with...

Old
12-28-2012, 01:17 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post

So close the door to your office and take a nap...

Old
12-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Neely08

Quote:
We bought a Nikon 5000 a couple of years ago. It does have a sport mode for action shots. We had the same problem, every pic we took at the playground came out blurry, etc. Be advised photography just isn't my thing. It probably isn't very complicated, but, it frustrates the hell out of me. Like trying to take pics at night of my car w/o a flash, etc. It also takes video.

I honestly can't remember what we paid for it. Somewhere between 6-700.00. You can buy bigger memory cards, lenses, etc. Aside taking pics at night under natural lighting, we're pretty happy w/ it.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Quick... do 10 push ups!

Old
12-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Quick... do 10 push ups!
You're assuming that I CAN do 10 pushups.

Quote:
So close the door to your office and take a nap...
My office/desk is very nap friendly. I have a pane of glass/window that looks into the rest of the office/cube world so you can see in...but because of how my desk is positioned I could totally put a pillow and blanket under there and pass out without anyone being the wiser.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Chuck's words of wisdom for today: "In all facets of life, friction is never a good thing"

Wise man, that Chuck.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
You're assuming that I CAN do 10 pushups.

My office/desk is very nap friendly. I have a pane of glass/window that looks into the rest of the office/cube world so you can see in...but because of how my desk is positioned I could totally put a pillow and blanket under there and pass out without anyone being the wiser.
So why has this not happened yet?

Old
12-28-2012, 01:55 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
Chuck's words of wisdom for today: "In all facets of life, friction is never a good thing"

Wise man, that Chuck.
So how's the view from under his desk? :meface:

Closed Thread