HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

vCash: 500
I would love to be able to reunite both the Michalek and Stone brothers on the Yotes should we ever do a deal with Ottawa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I like the way this team has been assembled, including Yandle, and I'd like to see it given a proper shot.
This is where I'm at for the moment, but my patience with Yandle was already running short last year and he hasn't helped alleviate that yet in the first couple games this year. Not looking to deal yet, but depending on how things continue with Yandle and if Rundblad can play well when he is in this year I could see myself changing my mind.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

any chance you can be bribed with high end prospect and pick?

Zibinejad and 1st?
Im not sure we can part with Michalek, and Zbad is a center and offensive prospect of which we have a good number and good quality so we could afford to move one. Maybe Stone and a 1st if that's a preference.

Not sure its what you need though, sounds like immediate scoring is a prerequiste - not next year or the year after.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Last season, most Coyotes fans were all up in Morris **** beause of how bad he played early on and complained about how his contract is worthless. How it is working out with him now? Que in Yandle at the start of this season and he is getting the same kinds of reactions as Morris got last season. If Morris can get his **** together, so can Yandle.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Rutkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Last season, most Coyotes fans were all up in Morris **** beause of how bad he played early on and complained about how his contract is worthless. How it is working out with him now? Que in Yandle at the start of this season and he is getting the same kinds of reactions as Morris got last season. If Morris can get his **** together, so can Yandle.
Pretty much this. The way fans want to dump him so often and so fast is hilarious.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:41 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I wholeheartedly agree that people can turn it around. It is possible that for some of our older players, they are "fresher" in the beginning of the shortened season. So, that could be a reason.

But Morris also has taken the steps to help his game. Someone alluded to Morris losing a lot of weight in the offseason, which clearly has helped his play, if not for the reason stated above. While I can't specifically speak for Yandle's offseason training, etc. - are there elements of his game that can be improved upon that he is not doing? I know it's crap to compare a movie to real life, but I am reminded of Roger Dorn, the 3rd baseman in Major League. He was tanking it on ground balls, and the next practice montage shows him getting liners hit at him so that he can get in front of the ball. Since Yandle has this awesome penchance for trying to golf bouncing pucks, is there not a drill that can be done after/before practice, where a coach sends some saucers that may take bounces near the blue line and work with him on corralling the puck and pushing it up the boards as a forward comes at him?

I digress, but maybe the above example is why I feel like Yandle has some feeling of entitlement to his game (not that he hasn't earned some praise for his play) b/c for every time that someone is told that there is an area that needs improvement, he can point to two All-Star Games and basically say , "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...", especially when we have had winning seasons with him in the lineup. But, clearly, there are parts to his game that need improvement, and when it gets to be a broken record of the same issues, it just makes you wonder if he is doing all he can to be a better player.

How is this for a question - has he become that much better of a player since his first All-Star Game? Or, has he made enough improvements to his game that would be expected from a leader who is still a relatively young veteran?

Last edited by BUX7PHX: 01-21-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 05:51 PM
XX
... Waiting

Yandle has this penchant for giant slapshots that he hesitates to let go, and when he does no D is fooled so they get blocked. He needs to start flicking them at the net quickly. He has a pretty good wrister, and usually has success with it. But the giant wind up nonsense? Rarely scores. You don't need velocity to score anymore. Every team is so good about blocking shots that it is more about placement nowadays. You aren't going to beat the goalie straight up. You need a screen, a deflection or a tricky wrister.

Emery was fighting the puck all night long. They just had to put it on him. But they kept going for the super cute play, and that just doesn't work on a meat and potatoes team.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I'm not getting where all of this "Keith Yandle is entitled and thinks he's too good to improve because he's an All-Star" stuff is coming from. There's no doubt that his game needs work, but these are some big character judgments you're making without any substantial evidence.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
I'm not getting where all of this "Keith Yandle is entitled and thinks he's too good to improve because he's an All-Star" stuff is coming from. There's no doubt that his game needs work, but these are some big character judgments you're making without any substantial evidence.
Agreed. I am not worried about Yandle. He will be just fine.

01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
This is exactly what I was thinking. Same goes for all the crap you read on the main boards about Smith being a "me first" player, or a "diva".

Old
01-21-2013, 11:27 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
I agree that I may be making it into a larger issue, and this may not be the case. But it just seems odd that given the depth of our D, no defenseman should feel safe in their role, IMO. We've been consistent in adding D-men through trades, FA, and draft - so while depth is a key aspect for us, it seems like we are laying the cards on the table and saying that every D is a step away from being sat, unless we can see definitive improvement. I don't think we are at the point where we sit Yandle, but I don't think that his play has endeared him to added time in key situations, either. And if the same issues pop up game to game, or season to season - either management is not emphasizing what they would like to see improve or the player is not doing enough to work on these aspects. Given our management over the past few years, I'm leaning towards the former being less of an issue and the latter being the case. That's the only evidence that I can speak to, albeit it does not mean that I am presenting what is really happening.

I am probably being too hard on his game, but I'm also a big believer in good defense creating better offensive opportunities, and not the other way around.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM

I have a very difficult time trading any of Doan, Yandle or Hanzal because all three of these players agreed to long-term deals with the Coyotes when the future was not the brightest. I know business comes first, but I think they have showed some loyalty, well paid loyalty, and I'd like to see that honored.

I also think it's funny that people see the emergence of OEL and automatically think it makes Yandle expendable. If Runblad or Schlemko emerged and showed that he could be a top 4 defensive scoring threat then it makes Yandle potentially redundant. We can have more than one offensive defenseman in the top 4, and it's helpful if we do.

On the defensive defenseman side of the puck we have Michalek, Klesla and Morris. The general consensus seems to be that Stone is proving that he can play in that group but I think many of us consider him more of a Morris replacement than a Michalek or Klesla replacement.

That said, I'm not excited to move any of our top 6 defense at this point, I think they are all worth keeping and we either keep a guy like Stone as #7 or let the depth play on the farm awaiting an inevitable recall. If we are going to trade a defenseman this season I think it should be someone on the farm. While the return will likely be less, we have the depth organizationally to take some risks if we can swap out for a serviceable NHL player or prospect with potential.

I'd prefer to upgrade our backup goalie or forwards where possible. Maybe toss in a farm defender with a roster forward for an upgrade.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Nino Niederreiter is pulling a Turris/Mueller in New York, having requested a trade due to frustration concerning not being offered a spot in training camp, despite leading New York's AHL affiliate, Bridgeport in scoring so far this season.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...rs-source-says

Probably not a great fit for us, because the best we could offer is a guaranteed spot while Torres is suspended (no Biz, no Bolduc). After that, though, he'd likely find himself back in the AHL or as a healthy scratch for Tippett.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:48 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
frustration concerning not being offered a spot in training camp,
At first, I glossed over this thinking it was typical player drama.

Then, in the article:

Quote:
The 20-year-old Swiss winger, who spent more than half the season with the big club last season, was not even invited to the team's training camp despite leading the team's AHL affiliate in scoring.
I realize it was a condensed camp, but damn. How do you mess up that badly?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Also, it's not really a secret that many aspects of Islanders' management is extremely incompetent. I'm looking at you, Wang.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
At first, I glossed over this thinking it was typical player drama.

Then, in the article:

I realize it was a condensed camp, but damn. How do you mess up that badly?
In all fairness, this camp was different. We only invited 4.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:46 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
In all fairness, this camp was different. We only invited 4.
Nino is far and away better than any of the forwards the Coyotes invited. He was on their roster most of last year. How do you not even invite the guy? This is the Islanders roster we are talking about.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:43 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I have a very difficult time trading any of Doan, Yandle or Hanzal because all three of these players agreed to long-term deals with the Coyotes when the future was not the brightest. I know business comes first, but I think they have showed some loyalty, well paid loyalty, and I'd like to see that honored.

I also think it's funny that people see the emergence of OEL and automatically think it makes Yandle expendable. If Runblad or Schlemko emerged and showed that he could be a top 4 defensive scoring threat then it makes Yandle potentially redundant. We can have more than one offensive defenseman in the top 4, and it's helpful if we do.

On the defensive defenseman side of the puck we have Michalek, Klesla and Morris. The general consensus seems to be that Stone is proving that he can play in that group but I think many of us consider him more of a Morris replacement than a Michalek or Klesla replacement.

That said, I'm not excited to move any of our top 6 defense at this point, I think they are all worth keeping and we either keep a guy like Stone as #7 or let the depth play on the farm awaiting an inevitable recall. If we are going to trade a defenseman this season I think it should be someone on the farm. While the return will likely be less, we have the depth organizationally to take some risks if we can swap out for a serviceable NHL player or prospect with potential.

I'd prefer to upgrade our backup goalie or forwards where possible. Maybe toss in a farm defender with a roster forward for an upgrade.
I think there are a number of us who just don't believe Yandle to be a great fit in a Dave Tippett system. He's a riverboat gambler at times that has picked up some Jovo like habits of tape to tape passes to opposing forwards in the slot. That being said when he doesn't have his head up his butt he's a very effective player.

I do maintain however that I don't believe we can ice a team with both Rundblad and Yandle in the lineup. First off I think Tippett would likely have an aneurism if he had them both in the lineup for a prolonged period.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I think there are a number of us who just don't believe Yandle to be a great fit in a Dave Tippett system. He's a riverboat gambler at times that has picked up some Jovo like habits of tape to tape passes to opposing forwards in the slot. That being said when he doesn't have his head up his butt he's a very effective player.

I do maintain however that I don't believe we can ice a team with both Rundblad and Yandle in the lineup. First off I think Tippett would likely have an aneurism if he had them both in the lineup for a prolonged period.
He's also the second best passer on the squad, and I think this team relies heavily on a mobile defense that can effectively move the puck up ice. Yandle can pass and skate quite well. Very mobile defender. I think he's a good fit for the team, myself. I think we need him.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Nino is far and away better than any of the forwards the Coyotes invited. He was on their roster most of last year. How do you not even invite the guy? This is the Islanders roster we are talking about.
Most of last year but he only managed 1 goal and 0 assists in 55 games. That's pretty awful. I could see how Isles wanted him to stay in the AHL.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:05 PM
hbk

Quote:
He's also the second best passer on the squad, and I think this team relies heavily on a mobile defense that can effectively move the puck up ice. Yandle can pass and skate quite well. Very mobile defender. I think he's a good fit for the team, myself. I think we need him.

for now. Once Rundblad has developed a bit more I would say that might drop Yandle down that ranking. I think pretty highly of Rundblad though.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:55 PM
PhoenixCoyotes19

Send a message via MSN to PhoenixCoyotes19 Send a message via Yahoo to PhoenixCoyotes19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Most of last year but he only managed 1 goal and 0 assists in 55 games. That's pretty awful. I could see how Isles wanted him to stay in the AHL.
Wow didn't realize he had no assists either. Bissonnette type stats right there.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyotes19 View Post
Wow didn't realize he had no assists either. Bissonnette type stats right there.
His other linemates didn't do much better. Pandolfo had 3 pts in 62, Reasoner 6 in 61. Both with 1 goal each. 10 mins of TOI, average. The -29 is nice too. He had no business going 5th, but still.

19 goals, 17 pts in 39 games in the AHL. Good for top 10 in the AHL. Similar stats to Brett Connolly.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I thought Nino was hugely overrated in his draft year. I think he's become quite underrated now.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:27 PM
PhoenixCoyotes19

Send a message via MSN to PhoenixCoyotes19 Send a message via Yahoo to PhoenixCoyotes19
Quote:
His other linemates didn't do much better. Pandolfo had 3 pts in 62, Reasoner 6 in 61. Both with 1 goal each. 10 mins of TOI, average. The -29 is nice too. He had no business going 5th, but still.

19 goals, 17 pts in 39 games in the AHL. Good for top 10 in the AHL. Similar stats to Brett Connolly.
No point of having him in the NHL if he is not going to be top 6. But nice year in the AHL so far, probably deserved a look in camp.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
I think they're being smarter than we were with Boedker, Tikhonov, Turris, etc. If the guy needs to spend time in the AHL to develop further, so be it. It will be better for him and their organization in the future. If there wasn't a lockout, i think he gets invited, but when you have to assemble a team in a week, there is no time to see how a player is looking. The question is, why bring him up when you know you are going to send him back down again? That's just bad for morale.

Closed Thread