HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Jakey53

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Boyd Gordon + Yandle for ROR and your 1st this year

No way that pick is top 10 with those two added.
No way. ROR had one good, not great year, and you want to trade Yandle for him. I am not the biggest Yandle supporter, but there is no way I do this trade unless it looks like the 1st is going to be a definite top five.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
There is no salary to shed.

Rebuild? Why? We're fine. This is a throw away season, and I still expect us to fully rebound and sneak in at the eighth seed.

We're talking about Yandle because the young guys are making big strides on defense and we're about to find ourselves in a log jam because Stone and Schlemko are looking great and Rundblad appears near ready, while OEL is showing no signs of plateau and there is still a lot of hope for guys like Summers and Gormley. Conversely, our depth up the middle is questionable, especially given the injury to Lombardi, who appears to have issues staying healthy.

Gordon is a fourth line center. He may be the best in the business, but he's still a fourth line center. They don't get terribly overpaid. I have no problem giving him term, which is probably a bigger priority for him. He earned a two year, 2.65m contract last time he was UFA and he was a well known asset on the PK/4th line. I'd be happy to give him double the term and a nice fat raise on the annual rate. Four years, seven million. I'd guess that'd get it done, no?

All of this goes out the window if the team relocates to Quebec next season. Maloney and Tippett are in contract years, and I'm not sure they'll make the move to La belle province. I'd put our chances at being the Nordiques V2.0 this time next year at about 50%.
I have to vent a little here. I just looked at Turris stats this year and he is doing great. Don't get me wrong, I hated what Turris did last year, but maybe, just maybe he was right. If GMDM paid him the 3.5 and he stayed here and was producing like he is, we would be praising DM.

To me. right now our defense sucks! We talk all the time how great our defense is. Well, right now only three are worth their weight in salt, and one of those just got hurt. I know rt you like Summers, but to me he has shown absolutely nothing. Our ga is terrible. I know the defense can't be blamed for all this, but come on, we are suppose to have one of the best defense in the league. With both Schlemko and Klesla out, Smitty is going to be facing alot of rubber.

This could get ugly, I hope not, but we have played only three games on the road, and I believe we are winless.

There, now I feel better

Old
02-09-2013, 09:31 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Turris wouldn't be putting those numbers up here. Ottawa is the un-Phoenix. It's the polar opposite up there. Paul MacLean is the anti-Tippett. So Turris was right about the fact that he was going to need to go elsewhere if he wanted to explode offensively without actually having to work at becoming a better hockey player.

02-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Turris wouldn't be putting those numbers up here. Ottawa is the un-Phoenix. It's the polar opposite up there. Paul MacLean is the anti-Tippett. So Turris was right about the fact that he was going to need to go elsewhere if he wanted to explode offensively without actually having to work at becoming a better hockey player.
You're right, there is no way he'd be doing as well in Phoenix. But he has become a much better player in every way in Ottawa even playing regular PK. He has worked at becoming a better player.

I don't like what he did any more than anyone else does, but it looks like he was right.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
You may be right, but if you are assuming this, then it wouldn't matter who we can get in a trade, their numbers will suffer. Look at Boedker, he is putting up decent numbers this year, so is Vrbata. I know Boedker is better defensively than Turris, but is Vrbata? Most times you can't have your cake and eat it too. Sometimes you have to give a little to get.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Vrbata is very good defensively. He's been used on the PK before. Always backchecks. How many times do we complain about Vrbata being out of position, or making a bad turnover?

Old
02-09-2013, 12:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Hey fellas,

Out of curiosity, how interested is Phoenix in Phil Kessel if Toronto decides to move towards rebuilding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
You're right, there is no way he'd be doing as well in Phoenix. But he has become a much better player in every way in Ottawa even playing regular PK. He has worked at becoming a better player.

I don't like what he did any more than anyone else does, but it looks like he was right.
Fair. I guess I need to reevaluate. It'd be easier not to care if Vermette would get hot again.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:14 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Great. Briere 2.0.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:18 PM
kihekah19

Quote:

Agreed.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:26 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:

The only two players to survive Tippett so far are Hanzal and Boedker, because they came into the league reasonably good at defense. Boedker even made it past less than 10 minutes a game with garbage linemates too. Impressive. But also depressing. Mueller was hot **** for the Avs until he got his head scrambled again. Even now, he's a decent player for the Panthers. Turris has obviously thrived. At what point do you get tired of it? Rundblad is slamming up against that wall now.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Turris is not doing any better than Boedker right now. I'd say Boedker is the more complete player now - he certainly outperformed Turris easily in the SML. And Boedker is a year younger.

Turris had THE perfect lineup to step into with Phoenix. The second line position was open and he'd just had a good few games in the playoffs against Detroit. This on a team that consistantly made the playoffs and then won the Pacific.

He ruined his own development with his holdout and as a top 3 pick, taking 6 years to finally start living up to some of that potential is not impressive at all. I do not agree that he was "right" in any sense.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:52 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
The only two players to survive Tippett so far are Hanzal and Boedker, because they came into the league reasonably good at defense. Boedker even made it past less than 10 minutes a game with garbage linemates too. Impressive. But also depressing. Mueller was hot **** for the Avs until he got his head scrambled again. Even now, he's a decent player for the Panthers. Turris has obviously thrived. At what point do you get tired of it? Rundblad is slamming up against that wall now.
No small part why I wanted to see Keenan as our head coach... he's won the big show, Tippett? Not so much. But, Tippett has done an absolutely outstanding job and took last years team further than I would have thought. They very well could have even gone further had they not (for whatever reason) had their heads up their collective a$$e$ in not only starting the LA series, but in how they ended in that series.

So.... I for one am not tired of Dave Tippett, his style of play, or Don Maloney and his personel decisions. I think we are some of the most fortunate fans in all of professional sports, not only to have them, but to have a team at all, when you consider the pathetic support of the valley fans.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
You may be right, but if you are assuming this, then it wouldn't matter who we can get in a trade, their numbers will suffer. Look at Boedker, he is putting up decent numbers this year, so is Vrbata. I know Boedker is better defensively than Turris, but is Vrbata? Most times you can't have your cake and eat it too. Sometimes you have to give a little to get.
Seriously? Both Boedker and Vrbata are very good defensive players and you're comparing him to the Phoenix version of Kyle Turris? Most of his time here he never came more than 15 ft into the defensive zone. Having watched some Senators games this year I agree with Alberta Yote. His compete level is much higher in Ottawa than it was with us, and seeing him on the PK for them surprised me. And how has Summers shown you "absolutely nothing" when he has played one game this year? The same game where the entire team looked like garbage. Its also the same game where Ekman-Larsson looked more like a pylon and an actor than the god he's supposed to be.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
Seriously? Both Boedker and Vrbata are very good defensive players and you're comparing him to the Phoenix version of Kyle Turris? Most of his time here he never came more than 15 ft into the defensive zone. Having watched some Senators games this year I agree with Alberta Yote. His compete level is much higher in Ottawa than it was with us, and seeing him on the PK for them surprised me. And how has Summers shown you "absolutely nothing" when he has played one game this year? The same game where the entire team looked like garbage. Its also the same game where Ekman-Larsson looked more like a pylon and an actor than the god he's supposed to be.
I wasn't talking of the Phoenix version of Kyle Turris. I think he has matured as a player and person. These young kids take time to mature, most about four or five years before they break out. The thing is, we have no idea what happens behind closed doors, all we can do is assume. As far as Summers is concerned, what has he shown you this or last year? I would feel more comfortable with him if he had progressed a little quicker then he has. He reminds me of Jones who we had years ago. I hope I am wrong and he becomes a reliable 3/4 go to guy, but I have my doubts.

Don't get me wrong, I think GMDM and Tipp are doing a great job, but even Tipp said, if its not broken your not looking hard enough.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
I wasn't talking of the Phoenix version of Kyle Turris. I think he has matured as a player and person. These young kids take time to mature, most about four or five years before they break out. The thing is, we have no idea what happens behind closed doors, all we can do is assume. As far as Summers is concerned, what has he shown you this or last year? I would feel more comfortable with him if he had progressed a little quicker then he has. He reminds me of Jones who we had years ago. I hope I am wrong and he becomes a reliable 3/4 go to guy, but I have my doubts.

Don't get me wrong, I think GMDM and Tipp are doing a great job, but even Tipp said, if its not broken your not looking hard enough.
From Summers I've seen generally good positional play, willingness to play the body and actually drop the gloves if needed. And the skating ability to get back into position if he makes a mistake. He isn't going to provide any offense but thats fine. I don't expect him to be anything more than a bottom pairing defensive dman at this point but I'm ok with that. The only way I would say he hasn't shown me anything is if I expected him to be a top pairing guy, but I don't.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
From Summers I've seen generally good positional play, willingness to play the body and actually drop the gloves if needed. And the skating ability to get back into position if he makes a mistake. He isn't going to provide any offense but thats fine. I don't expect him to be anything more than a bottom pairing defensive dman at this point but I'm ok with that. The only way I would say he hasn't shown me anything is if I expected him to be a top pairing guy, but I don't.
Fair enough. As you know, it takes long for Dmen to mature. He could turn out to be the next Schlemko.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
The deadline I was referring to is the date which RFAs have to sign by to be eligible for this season. Isn't that coming up? I'd love to trade for ROR, mothball him and let him get 100%, and then sign him to a nice deal in the offseason. New ownership, possibly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
You know I had forgotten about that, but I haven't heard any talk anywhere regarding it. Weren't they considering dropping that from the CBA during negotiations at one point? Maybe they didn't include it this time around.
BTW, there is no deadline for RFA's this year.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/1...ted-free-agent

Old
02-11-2013, 12:03 AM
theTik41

ill throw out an old name, i would like to see the coyotes go get kevin porter. i dont think he left on bad terms and he was an ahl all star this year. i would like to think he would be an upgrade on the fourth line and would cost something like a 5th or 6th round pick.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:03 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTik41 View Post
ill throw out an old name, i would like to see the coyotes go get kevin porter. i dont think he left on bad terms and he was an ahl all star this year. i would like to think he would be an upgrade on the fourth line and would cost something like a 5th or 6th round pick.
Who would you like replaced with Porter? Torres, Chipchura, or Johnson? That's not a trade I'd make, personally.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:08 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTik41 View Post
Porter got his shot. In 2 teams. He just doesn't fit in an NHL lineup: too slow for consistent scoring, not gritty enough for the fourth line. He's a borderline 3rd liner.

He seems like a good guy, I hope he floats around the league for next few years and makes a bit of money. Just not as a Coyote. I'll take any of our 3rd or 4th line players over Porter every time.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
theTik41

i would have liked porter to replace chip. chip should play the way torres does (very physical) but dosnt and he dosnt do much offensively either. also i believe chip and torres's contracts are up at the end of the season and if we still dont have an owner porter might be cheap/nice replacement.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:26 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:

But why didn't he want to work on his hockey game while down here? If he's a regular PK player, why couldn't he work towards that in Phoenix?

Old
02-11-2013, 12:33 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
But why didn't he want to work on his hockey game while down here? If he's a regular PK player, why couldn't he work towards that in Phoenix?
He figured he wasn't going to get a fair shake in Phoenix with Tippett here. There's a perception out there that Tippett's system isn't great for numbers, meaning players don't earn a fat contract. Why put in the hard work here when Turris can elope off to Ottawa, a team that will coddle him?

Old
02-11-2013, 12:34 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Who would you like replaced with Porter? Torres, Chipchura, or Johnson? That's not a trade I'd make, personally.
I agree. I kind of like our team right now, if Doan can pick it up, if Yandle has a few less turnovers, and if Smith is great like last game. Klesla looked good also. It would be nice to have Schlemko back. I think the chemistry, consistency, and time is what we mostly need now.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:

I was really hoping they'd bring in an offensive assistant coach to work with our younger players. Tippett has proven he either can't or won't develop offensively gifted players. Even Boeds should be father along as a scorer imo. He has more tools than any other forward on the team. The only thing holding back Mueller is health. He and Turris needed a lot more coaching because of the system here and their level of maturity and they didn't get it. That's just going to be the case with some players. Rundblad needs more attention as well. If we ever want to take the next step in a league that will continue to move towards favoring offense, we either need to add a coach to help or get our current coaches to update their philosophy and teaching.

Say what you want about our budget the last few years but the low payroll, defensive high draft picks and dumpster diving for vets has played well with Tippett's style. That was probably by design based on the genious that is Don Maloney.

Closed Thread