HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 12:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
I'm not sure Krejci or ROR or Nielsen or any of these names we bring up are really the answer. We have support players up front. Between Vrbata, Doan, Boedker, Vermette, Hanzal, Korpikoski, etc. we have pieces. I see players of the ROR ilk as more pieces, not as solutions. We need a catalyst, a lightning rod. We need somebody who can CARRY the offense. Sadly, we aren't going to acquire one of those in a trade. So what do we do? Move tremendous assets for more "pieces" or wait around for THE opportunity to arise to bring in a real game changer? If we wait, we may wait forever. I'm glad it is Don and not me running this show.

02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
BeSeeingYouSeattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Coach Tip thinks the NHL is for men and not boys...
So, did he turn into a man in the time it took him to fly over to Ott.?

As it pertains to trades: I think we are quickly reaching that time. I know we won two of our last three, but we only won because of Smith. With this shortened season we will not have the ability to wait it out before pulling the trigger on a trade.

This team NEEDS an elite forward or a player very close to elite to compete with the best. It would seem silly to be so close to having a contending roster and not do everything possible to get something done. Staying as is will simply be seen as conceding defeat in my eyes.

Hopefully GMDM can get something done, we need it.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:00 PM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm not sure Krejci or ROR or Nielsen or any of these names we bring up are really the answer. We have support players up front. Between Vrbata, Doan, Boedker, Vermette, Hanzal, Korpikoski, etc. we have pieces. I see players of the ROR ilk as more pieces, not as solutions. We need a catalyst, a lightning rod. We need somebody who can CARRY the offense. Sadly, we aren't going to acquire one of those in a trade. So what do we do? Move tremendous assets for more "pieces" or wait around for THE opportunity to arise to bring in a real game changer? If we wait, we may wait forever. I'm glad it is Don and not me running this show.
If a trade suits our needs and makes us stronger now and in the future, then you make it. You can't expect to make one trade that will bring us a cup. We made the conference finals without a catalyst. I believe we could go that extra mile without one. Tippett can do more with pieces than any one else can.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:26 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Move tremendous assets for more "pieces" or wait around for THE opportunity to arise to bring in a real game changer? If we wait, we may wait forever. I'm glad it is Don and not me running this show.
What qualifies as a real game changer? I consider ROR's overall ability to be exactly that. What players from our top 6 would be welcome on a contender? Maybe Vrbata. There's just no skill. No one is good enough to even make a clean zone entry.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:02 PM
zerekstar

I think O'reily could help us considerably but what I don't get is why we have Biz up on the parent team and Johnson, who did well for us, on the farm team. Do we need the occasional staged fight that bad or do we want to win at hockey? When you have no big scorers and you only score by committee, you should make sure the capable committee is there. Take our goals from where we can get them.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:13 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
So, did he turn into a man in the time it took him to fly over to Ott.?

As it pertains to trades: I think we are quickly reaching that time. I know we won two of our last three, but we only won because of Smith. With this shortened season we will not have the ability to wait it out before pulling the trigger on a trade.

This team NEEDS an elite forward or a player very close to elite to compete with the best. It would seem silly to be so close to having a contending roster and not do everything possible to get something done. Staying as is will simply be seen as conceding defeat in my eyes.

Hopefully GMDM can get something done, we need it.
Let see how the boy reacts without the 4th forward or top center before trying to justify him as being matured. And I sure enough wouldn't be talking about elite forwards in the same post...

Old
02-15-2013, 06:16 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Who gives a **** about Turris? He was never going to amount to anything under Tippett. Good for everyone involved that it's over with. He is in another conference and we don't have to worry about him.

Quote:
The Sabres, according to my sources, are also heavily interested in Winnipeg Jet, Evander Kane and have looked into possibly doing a deal with Phoenix for a D-man as well....
From Eklund. I guess this would depend on the D involved. With Mo hurt, options get more limited.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself. That game changer may be in this years draft.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:36 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
I'm glad it is Don and not me running this show.
Me too!
The yearly rant? At the start of last season it was all about Bryzgalov. At the moment the team isn't coming together. They will eventually look like a top team. There is no doubt in my mind, as long as the off-ice situations don't make it to Jobbing (or where ever else they are playing at), this team can step it up , and is made of players that know what it takes to win. They will get there.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
What qualifies as a real game changer? I consider ROR's overall ability to be exactly that. What players from our top 6 would be welcome on a contender? Maybe Vrbata. There's just no skill. No one is good enough to even make a clean zone entry.
I sure would not call ROR a game changer.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:39 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
That game changer may be in this years draft.
Not unless you plan on picking top 3 and waiting a few years. Time the Coyotes don't have. The more I think about it, the more trading Yandle becomes a necessity. OEL is an RFA this offseason and will be looking for healthy money and term. Let's pretend the Coyotes haven't moved but are still under budgetary restraints. We'd probably be pumping nearly 10 million into the back end of a team that can't score a goal to save its life. I don't think Yandle's value gets any higher as you get closer to the draft. His contract is actually pretty appealing. He is the type of guy that can help you get to the playoffs.

Basically, as awesome as he is, he has to go. There is no feasible way we can have Yandle and a non ELC OEL on this team, as it's currently budgeted. There's a chance there to make up the offense in the aggregate; Rundblad, Stone and Schlemko will all be cheap. Then there's Gormley, who is a wildcard.

Keeping him opens up OEL to an offersheet the Coyotes probably wont be able to match.

Quote:
You know absolutely nothing about the player then.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Let see how the boy reacts without the 4th forward or top center before trying to justify him as being matured. And I sure enough wouldn't be talking about elite forwards in the same post...
So far he is reacting really well. The next ten games will give us a better picture.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Not unless you plan on picking top 3 and waiting a few years. Time the Coyotes don't have. The more I think about it, the more trading Yandle becomes a necessity. OEL is an RFA this offseason and will be looking for healthy money and term. Let's pretend the Coyotes haven't moved but are still under budgetary restraints. We'd probably be pumping nearly 10 million into the back end of a team that can't score a goal to save its life. I don't think Yandle's value gets any higher as you get closer to the draft. His contract is actually pretty appealing. He is the type of guy that can help you get to the playoffs.

Basically, as awesome as he is, he has to go. There is no feasible way we can have Yandle and a non ELC OEL on this team, as it's currently budgeted. There's a chance there to make up the offense in the aggregate; Rundblad, Stone and Schlemko will all be cheap. Then there's Gormley, who is a wildcard.

Keeping him opens up OEL to an offersheet the Coyotes probably wont be able to match.

You know absolutely nothing about the player then.
And you do? Why is he a game changer? He may be in three years but not now, not even close.There are very few game changers in the NHL period.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:47 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
and yet he could make certain players much better, while neutralizing the opposition, maybe even take some of the defensive responsibilities off of Hanzal, so the Coyotes can take more advantage of his offensive skills.
Wait a minute, isn't that changing up the game, making it more of a Tippet-typed team.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:50 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
And you do? Why is he a game changer?
There are a few types of 'game changers.' The most obvious is the offensive stud that can score at will. But there are only a few of those in the league, they almost never get traded and the Coyotes can't afford them. Then there are players that bring more than just offense to the table. I consider Hanzal a 'game changer' in the sense that he is largely responsible for the success the team has had under Dave Tippett. If you look at every objective stat measure, Hanzal does an incredible amount of heavy lifting against elite opposing players. Ryan O'Reilly is that plus a bunch of offense. He is a puck possession machine. He can actually pass. He put up 50 points with **** wingers.

Basically, he is perfect for the Coyotes. And he is still young, so nobody knows what his ceiling is. Even if he just kept repeating that year over and over again, he is one of the most valuable centers in the league. He has actual skill.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1423

I recommend you read that and a few others floating around. He is a player that can tip the ice heavily in our favor. With Tippett's style, that's everything.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Jakey53

[QUOTE=DesertDawg;59789665]and yet he could make certain players much better, while neutralizing the opposition, maybe even take some of the defensive responsibilities off of Hanzal, so the Coyotes can take more advantage of his offensive skills.
Wait a minute, isn't that changing up the game, making it more of a Tippet-typed team.[/QUOT

Stamkos, Crosby, Weber, Lidstrom, Gretzky,Messier, Coffey,Howe, B. Hull, Lemieux,Bower,Fuhr,Brodeur,S. Stevens are game changers, at least in my eyes. The coyotes do not have one. Smith is the closest we have, but he is not their yet.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
There are a few types of 'game changers.' The most obvious is the offensive stud that can score at will. But there are only a few of those in the league, they almost never get traded and the Coyotes can't afford them. Then there are players that bring more than just offense to the table. I consider Hanzal a 'game changer' in the sense that he is largely responsible for the success the team has had under Dave Tippett. If you look at every objective stat measure, Hanzal does an incredible amount of heavy lifting against elite opposing players. Ryan O'Reilly is that plus a bunch of offense. He is a puck possession machine. He can actually pass. He put up 50 points with **** wingers.

Basically, he is perfect for the Coyotes. And he is still young, so nobody knows what his ceiling is. Even if he just kept repeating that year over and over again, he is one of the most valuable centers in the league. He has actual skill.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1423

I recommend you read that and a few others floating around. He is a player that can tip the ice heavily in our favor. With Tippett's style, that's everything.
Who cares what the article says. It is one or two persons opinion. They may be right, but they can be just a easily wrong.ROR has had one good season, he really has not proven, to me, anything. What were we saying about Yandle two years ago, ring a bell? Now, fast forward three more years and he keeps on progressing, a total different story.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Who cares what the article says. It is one or two persons opinion. They may be right, but they can be just a easily wrong.
Numbers aren't your thing, are they?

Quote:
ESPN.COM: Craig Custance listed the Toronto Maple Leafs, Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes as his top trade destinations for Colorado Avalanche holdout center Ryan O’Reilly.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Numbers aren't your thing, are they?
Proof is in the pudding. I hope the Yotes can get ROR and he proves me 100% wrong.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:34 PM
lanky

The Leafs could put together a strong package to land ROR, but I can't imagine any way that Calgary could make it happen. Phoenix is in a great position to make a trade happen.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:54 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Proof is in the pudding. I hope the Yotes can get ROR and he proves me 100% wrong.
I don't see the Avs trading him until the draft. This would pretty much guarantee that they tank and get a top 5 pick and a very good player (who would likely turn out as good or better than RO'R). It wouldn't even surprise me if they re-sign him right at the end of the season. After all, he did make a good deal of money playing in the KHL this season, I think it's about 3 x what he made on the Avs last season, and he is currently hurt.

I think he will get traded at the draft for a top 10 pick and a roster player.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:52 PM
BeSeeingYouSeattle

Quote:
So you are diminishing his progress because you want to see how he does when everything around him is going wrong? That makes a lot of sense: "Ignore A and B, but if he cannot produce with C; told you so."

And your reference to me saying we need an elite forward and it not belonging in the same post as Turris makes no sense. Did you think I was talking about Turris?

"Boys" come into the NHL every year and do very well. There is no absolute when it comes to playing young players or not.

Sorry, XX, but his "For men not boys" comment was a complete fallacy. The situation was not that simple.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:14 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
So you are diminishing his progress because you want to see how he does when everything around him is going wrong? That makes a lot of sense: "Ignore A and B, but if he cannot produce with C; told you so."

And your reference to me saying we need an elite forward and it not belonging in the same post as Turris makes no sense. Did you think I was talking about Turris?

"Boys" come into the NHL every year and do very well. There is no absolute when it comes to playing young players or not.

Sorry, XX, but his "For men not boys" comment was a complete fallacy. The situation was not that simple.
I guess me saying 'if the boy can step up' doesn't make sense to you. I don't even know why we are discussing the quitter.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:24 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

So if there's any truth to Craig Custance's report that Phoenix is one of the teams in the running for O'Reilly, what do you guys think it would take to pry him away from the Avs?

Old
02-16-2013, 02:07 AM
Vip
In the clouds

Apparently we are actually in the running for O'Reilly? I am surprised.

Closed Thread