HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 11:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
We acquired Morris for nothing because we were the only team he'd accept a trade to. Same for Michalek. Doan's trade value will be relatively low if it becomes clear the team is moving, and he only accepts a deal with Vancouver.

Until he knows different, Maloney has no choice but to run this team as if it will exist in Glendale next season.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:03 PM
XX
... Waiting

The Flames aren't going to make it. Abysmal play. So what are we giving up for Iginla? I'd think he'd want to come here and play with Doan. He can float around the league a few years more on cup teams, so this isn't his moonshot. Phoenix is perfectly fine. He's also a UFA, so there's no real salary added for next year in the eyes of the league. If the Coyotes are in position, I'd like to see Maloney pull it off and go for it.

Doan can move back to LW, and the two old warhorses can attempt to get a cup together. Wouldn't that be a sight?

Old
02-23-2013, 07:04 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The Flames aren't going to make it. Abysmal play. So what are we giving up for Iginla? I'd think he'd want to come here and play with Doan. He can float around the league a few years more on cup teams, so this isn't his moonshot. Phoenix is perfectly fine. He's also a UFA, so there's no real salary added for next year in the eyes of the league. If the Coyotes are in position, I'd like to see Maloney pull it off and go for it.

Doan can move back to LW, and the two old warhorses can attempt to get a cup together. Wouldn't that be a sight?
He would be a great fit and could actually play more physically than what he is allowed on the Flames. I don't see Doan and Iginla on the same (primary) line (maybe on Occasion), but a Boedker-Vermette-Iginla line intrigues me as well as the ability (and versatility) of Doan double shifting on the 3rd & 4th line (against certain teams in certain situations). A Korpikoski-Lombardi-Doan line? A Torres-Gordon-Doan line? Tippet would love the versatility that adding (a rental) Iginla presents (and I can go on and on about different line-up match -ups). The Flames could still re-sign him after the year. Under that scenario, he could be a relatively cheap acquisition.

Animosity between Playfair and Iginla may be a factor why he may not come here.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:19 PM
hbk

With the gm change in Columbus I wonder if there is a potential for a RUndblad for Johanssen type move. Keep in mind that the new GM in Columbus was the Director of scouting in St. Louis who was responsible for originally drafting Rundblad.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:06 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Keep in mind that the new GM in Columbus was the Director of scouting in St. Louis who was responsible for originally drafting Rundblad.
It's entirely possible that Jarmo was responsible for dealing him in the first place for the 16th overall, which they used to take Tarasenko. Pretty smart move, in hindsight. 2010 was his last draft year, was it not? So he probably had a say in the transaction.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:14 PM
YotesFan47

Quote:
Just for Fun
Yandle & Vermette to Colorado for O'Reilly, Sgarbossa and a 1st (top 3 protected)
Doan + whatever to VAN for Kassian (They have to move Schneider or Lou to fit the salary)
Rundblad + to EDM for Hemsky

FORWARDS
Mikkel Boedker ($3.500m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Ales Hemsky ($5.000m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.000m)
Chris Brown ($0.900m) / Michael Sgarbossa*** ($0.540m) / David Moss ($2.100m)
Lauri Korpikoski ($2.000m) / Boyd Gordon ($2.000m) / Nick Johnson ($0.725m)

DEFENSEMEN
Oliver E.-Larsson ($4.500m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
Brandon Gormley ($1.315m) / David Schlemko ($1.000m)
Michael Stone ($0.633m) /

GOALIES
Smith @ 3.75 x 3
Johnson @ 750k

------
CAP PAYROLL: $50,750,500;
ACTUAL PAYROLL: Less, due to bonuses on the ELCs

*** Substitute Lombardi on a 1m deal, or Samuelsson if he makes it out of camp

The floor is actually 44m, and edit: I forgot goalies
Spoil:
I'm pretty sure this would be the best floor team ever assembled.
Upgraded in every single way except leadership and likely FO %. You also likely are looking at 2 top 10 picks at the 2013 draft.

I don't think Hemsky would be the type of upgrade we should look for, Kassian is a rough call, so is Sgarbossa. Both of them would be a pretty big gamble with Tipp as our head coach.

I think I would be more comfortable with moving Yandle + 2013 2nd for ROR + 1st (top 3 protected) + 2013 3rd. Even amount of contracts moving. This is what the roster would look like if we signed ROR to 5m/5yr deal next season and resigned all our RFA players.

I tried to use most of your figures for this, and I would be more interested in moving Morris and Klesla to save extra money, resign Gordon and Chipchura, pick up a cheap vet as our #6 D while continuing to rotate until one of Stone or Summers becomes a main stay, use a rookie on the 4th line (Brown I think is practically ready and plays RW I believe), and shop for an affordable top 6 LW. I'm thinking along the lines of Clark MacArthur. I think he could be had for $3.750m for 4 years.

2013/2014 Roster

MacArthur ($3.750m) - ROR ($5.000m) - Doan ($5.300m)
Boedker ($3.500m) - Hanzal ($3.100m) - Vrbata ($3.000m)
Korpikoski ($2.000m) - Vermette ($3.750m) - Moss ($2.100m)
Chipchura ($0.750m) - Gordon ($1.500m) - Brown ($0.900m)

OEL ($4.500m) - ZM ($4.000m)
Stone ($0.900m)/Summers ($$0.805m) - Rundblad ($1.750m)
Schlemko ($1.000m) - Vet UFA ($1.500m)

Smith ($3.750)
Johnson ($0.750)

Total: $53.605m

That would give us a pretty deadly and defensively responsible top 9, solid bottom pairing, good PK, PP, good depth on D, loads of leadership, strong goaltending, and not so little "men" that Tipp has an aneurysm.

Last edited by YotesFan47: 02-24-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 04:35 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan47 View Post
I don't think Hemsky would be the type of upgrade we should look for, Kassian is a rough call, so is Sgarbossa. Both of them would be a pretty big gamble with Tipp as our head coach.
The thing is, Hemsky and Kassian would be sheltered if you look at their linemates. O'Reilly is basically a faster, shorter version of Hanzal. I can say that now because Hanzal is on a decent scoring pace. Also, I didn't want to mess with the D much. Hemsky has one more year @5 million to demonstrate his worth. I see Sgarbossa and Kassian, at worst, matching the contributions we are getting from those positions currently, while being far younger and cheaper. If it really makes you feel better, keep Vermette and still swing the ROR trade. Payroll goes up 3 million or so, but it'd be the same as this year. You could bring Lombardi back on the cheap if you really wanted.

This team has never had a weapon like Hemsky on the PP. Whitney came close. Hemsky on the left, Vrbata on the right wall, Hanzal in front, OEL and Gormley on the points.

I don't think we are getting Smith back at anything less than $4.5 right now. He is playing lights out. Statistically, he could ask $6 million + from a team on the UFA market and probably get it. The writing is on the wall for Yandle to be traded. All of this assumes more league stewardship, which is admittedly a big assumption at this point. If the Yotes move, all bets are off. Same if they get a new owner. And, not to remind everyone, but Maloney and Tippett are not under contract past this year. Staying or not, they are going to have teams throwing money at them. We needed an owner in January, not now.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:25 PM
YotesFan47

Quote:
The thing is, Hemsky and Kassian would be sheltered if you look at their linemates. O'Reilly is basically a faster, shorter version of Hanzal. I can say that now because Hanzal is on a decent scoring pace. Also, I didn't want to mess with the D much. Hemsky has one more year @5 million to demonstrate his worth. I see Sgarbossa and Kassian, at worst, matching the contributions we are getting from those positions currently, while being far younger and cheaper. If it really makes you feel better, keep Vermette and still swing the ROR trade. Payroll goes up 3 million or so, but it'd be the same as this year. You could bring Lombardi back on the cheap if you really wanted.

This team has never had a weapon like Hemsky on the PP. Whitney came close. Hemsky on the left, Vrbata on the right wall, Hanzal in front, OEL and Gormley on the points.

I don't think we are getting Smith back at anything less than $4.5 right now. He is playing lights out. Statistically, he could ask $6 million + from a team on the UFA market and probably get it. The writing is on the wall for Yandle to be traded. All of this assumes more league stewardship, which is admittedly a big assumption at this point. If the Yotes move, all bets are off. Same if they get a new owner. And, not to remind everyone, but Maloney and Tippett are not under contract past this year. Staying or not, they are going to have teams throwing money at them. We needed an owner in January, not now.
That may be true but I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith take a long hard look at where his carrier was before coming to Phoenix and also a long look at Bryz and how things have gone for him. Phoenix is a good place for Smith and he may be willing to take the discount to ensure he has a good home, stays united with Tipp (the same coach that he was with and looked good with in Dallas before being moved to Tampa).

As far as Vermette, I'm fine with trading him, just don't think one of Lombardi or Sgarbossa is the answer for our #3 center position. I also understand the logic of the Doan trade but at the same time we just resigned him, hes a great leader in the locker room, and basically the face of the franchise at this particular moment. OEL is certainly on his way to being that new face but Doan is king right now. Maybe move Vermette for a cheaper center who is a step down in ability but similar in game style and keep one of Morris or Klesla to maintain a top 5 blue line in the league. Yandle for ROR and Vermette for a top 6 winger is about as drastic as I would want to go though assuming we could find a cheap 3rd line center to replace Vermette. This season would be fairly easy with Lombardi once he returns but I don't see him as a long term solution.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Ain't broke, don't fix.

That said, if the Coyotes play another season in Glendale, we will either have to trade Yandle or Michalek and one or the other of Klesla and/or Morris.

I don't think we will play another season in Glendale. I'm guessing Don Levin will allow us to keep all of our assets in Seattle. PKP in QC wont have to worry about the budget because we will lose Doan and Morris at least, and probably Tippet and Burke, thereby losing Smith.

I assume Yandle will be fine moving to QC, as he chose to play in the QMJHL once. I figure the rest of the core like OEL, Hanzal, Vrbata, etc. will be just fine with it too. Doan, Morris, Smith, Burke, Tippett and probably Maloney will all he lost, though. I could see another Q guy like Clowe replacing Doan, but there will he a whole ton of holes to fill that will take a long time. Longer if they make a terrible choice and hire Patrick Roy to do anything. I'd hope they'd just hand the keys to the Hunters. I feel like a Tippett team could transition to a Hunter team fairly smoothly.

Last edited by rt: 02-24-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

that is correct...due to the shrinking salary cap, and because we have to give raises to OEL, Boedker, Smith and possibly Korpi, and the following season raises for Vrbata, GMDM has to move someone.

We have $34m tied up right now for next season for 11 players. And since the Salary Cap is going to go down, I'd suspect the budget will be reduced to something between $46-$48m

So we can spend $12m-$14m for the remaining players:
OEL ($4m) raise $2.25m
Lombardi ($2m) same
Korpi ($2m) raise $200k
Boedker ($3m) raise $1.9m
Torres ($2m) raise $350k
Gordon ($1.5m) raise $150k
Johnson ($900k) raise $175k
Chipchura ($900k) raise $225k
Rundblad ($1.5m) same
Stone ($1m) raise $156k
Smith ($4m) raise $2m

You can see that we are well over the $12m needed to sign the remaining players and that isn't counting Summers or Labarbara

Last edited by Sindiggy: 02-25-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
theTik41

i guess ill say the evil thought. we should trade oel. with all the ownership issues we have we should know an offer sheet is coming his way. look at what philly offered weber last year, and with the buyout clause now in effect there might be a few other teams that make a serious run at him. i have no idea what we could get for him, but yakupov would still have 2 more years of the rookie contract.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:14 PM

We trade Yandle easily before we trade OEL. That's not even something to have to worry about in my opinion. Anyone is available for the right price, but it would reasonably take a considerable overpayment to get OEL I would think. Maloney has shown to be a shrewd enough trader that I'm not concerned in either case.

Doan has to play the last game in Phoenix, and realistically they aren't going to make such an obvious move as trading him before the last game. If anything I've been pushing to trade for Iginla if they get a chance. It only makes sense if they are a playoff team, but when this team is healthy I think they are a playoff team and capable of getting out of the first round. Iginla isn't necessarily a need, but Calgary may be prompted to officially begin rebuilding. The Iginla-Doan connection just seems like a natural storyline. The price would be steep but it would give the Coyotes a new offensive dynamic and Iginla is a UFA so it could end up a pure rental. If it wakes up Doan for the end of the season and the playoffs it would be more than worth it.

Oddly enough the defense has been wildly inconsistent this season when you would have thought it would have been a strength. Again, if everyone is healthy then it's probably a different story, but Morris, Klesla and Schlemko have missed enough time to account for some of the inconsistency. Ultimately, Stone, Runblad and Summers do not look ready for full time duty. I could see one of them being dealt just to free up space for Gormley in the future and clear up the glut, maybe even for a journeyman defender to get Tip's blood pressure down for the playoff run.

I still wouldn't mind an upgrade in backup goal, but it's down the list on needs. You always say it can wait until the offseason to address until Smith misses a game for any reason.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
theTik41

guest: i dont think iginla wants to come here just to get in the playoffs, he wants to win a cup. i also think if iginla wants to be moved (like doan if he wanted to) it will be to a place of his choosing and right now iam guessing the blackhawks look good to him. plus he could then re sign in calgary if he wanted.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:33 PM
XX
... Waiting

Boedker has to be signed as well as OEL. While Don has previously enjoyed relatively little roster overhaul the last 2 offseasons, this year is different. The team will come out the other side, even if still in Arizona, looking much different.

I don't think you get Boedker for less than 3, or OEL for less than 4.5. Smith, if he puts out another top 5 statistical year, isn't coming in under 4. I just added 7 and a half million to our payroll and added nothing. That's simply the price it's going to take to retain these guys. I would trade at the deadline or draft anyone not named: Hanzal, Boedker, Vrbata, Michalek or OEL. That's our core. If the team moves, you can cross Vrbata and Michalek off the list.

The smartest thing you can do going into such an offseason is to set yourself up to be very flexible. Gather assets while the time is right. Making the playoffs should be a secondary concern. But I have my doubts that the league would let Maloney gut this team or do anything to miss the playoffs. They want that gate revenue, however small.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:08 PM
korpedo

Not sure if this had already been discussed but Florida looks like its ready for a fire sale. What do you guys think about Going after Weiss?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:22 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by korpedo View Post
Not sure if this had already been discussed but Florida looks like its ready for a fire sale. What do you guys think about Going after Weiss?
No money to sign him. No point. He wants to be an UFA.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by korpedo View Post
I assume he wouldn't waive his NMC for us. More likely for a team with a better chance of winning the cup, let alone making the playoffs, than us. That said, even if he was willing to come here, I have a feeling I wouldn't like what it would cost to get him. I'm generally not a fan of trading for expensive rentals, rarely works out well.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:25 PM
BUX7PHX

Is the time right to inquire about Ribeiro in Washington?

I feel like a deal could be made that would involve Ribeiro and maybe Poti for Yandle and Lessio? Cut some salary in DC and Yandle may be one of those D-men that fits better in the East. Or Rundblad for Fehr/pick?

Everyone is correct that we are playing well, and contributions are there on offense without Hanzal or Vrbata. I'm comfortable with our top 6 on D as:

Michalek/OEL
Morris/Yandle
Klesla/Schlemko

That's provided all are healthy. If we move any one of those top 6, we are asking for a D-man in any return. But I would be interested to see how we could use Ribiero, as he is versatile w/ C or LW.

Sullivan/Vermette/Boedker
Ribiero/Hanzal/Vrbata
Korpikoski/Lombardi/Doan
Moss/Gordon/Torres

Chip/Johnson

Michalek/OEL
Morris/Klesla
Poti/Schlemko

Rundblad/Stone/Summers

Sets us up nicely with Ribeiro to return at a modest price if he enjoys it here. Maybe 3 years, $10 million? Washington should throw in a pick for the risk of two UFAs for youth and a long-term D in a reasonable deal. 3rd or 4th rounder would suffice...

Last edited by BUX7PHX: 02-27-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old
02-27-2013, 11:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

You want to trade Keith Yandle for a pending UFA that's past his prime?

Old
02-28-2013, 08:15 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You want to trade Keith Yandle for a pending UFA that's past his prime?
When you put it that way....

Ribeiro is past his prime age-wise, but he is still a 20 goal, 70+ point threat at this point in his career. I don't think he would have a problem being reunited with Tip. Maybe if this were Ribeiro at 30 instead of 33, it would make more sense. The scary thing is the UFA piece, and the value associated with Ribeiro right now. Realistically, if Yandle has been shopped and no one has bit, maybe Yandle's value is that much lower than even we know about it, compared to our asking price....

Like what I said in the post though, I'm comfortable with the top 6 that we have on D at this time. Maybe Rundblad would be more suitable in the deal. Take Poti out and send Rundblad, Lessio, and pick for Ribeiro. Not sure if WAS takes that, though.

Last edited by BUX7PHX: 02-28-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old
02-28-2013, 08:56 AM
cobra427

Yandle has to be considered one of the 30 best d in the league and certainly a first line player. I think we need an established first line forward of similar age and contract, at least in return, since d are generally more valuable then forwards. At 33, Riberio could be closer to the slippery slope of performance fading. I still think Yandle has some up side and it seems as of late he has had less turnovers. I like our team if we can get reasonably healthy.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:10 AM
XX
... Waiting

a 2nd or 3rd and Rundblad would get Ribeiro I'd imagine. No need to bring Yandle or Lessio into this. Coyotes can't take on that salary, can't re-sign him. So a no go. I'm not even sure if he liked playing for Tippett.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
a 2nd or 3rd and Rundblad would get Ribeiro I'd imagine. No need to bring Yandle or Lessio into this. Coyotes can't take on that salary, can't re-sign him. So a no go. I'm not even sure if he liked playing for Tippett.
Tippett was really good for Ribeiro. Tippett gave him the toolbox for all those loose tools, laying about, scattered.

Anyway, this is absurd. There is zero chance we give up top tier assets for him. Craziness.

The only thing this Coyotes team needs this season is to get healthy and stay that way. Sullivan is underwhelming but Boedker is surprising. Sort of evens out. Vermette seems to be heating up, Lombardi is playing better than most of us hoped, Torres is not the ghost we feared, and is actually a MORE effective player. When we get DMo, Schlemko, and the Czechs back, it'll be just the shot in the arm we need to have another famous Dave Tippett, late season, insane month of victory. Plus, Doan has yet to get that annual mid-season wake-up-call. I like our group every bit as much as I did on opening night, and like then, I still see this as a playoff team.

No trades. Not until we have a clearer idea of where this team will be skating next season. If by some miracle it's Glendale (for another lame-duck year), then we'll need to move Yandle at the draft. Other than that, no need to do anything even remotely drastic.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
Yandle has to be considered one of the 30 best d in the league and certainly a first line player. I think we need an established first line forward of similar age and contract, at least in return, since d are generally more valuable then forwards. At 33, Riberio could be closer to the slippery slope of performance fading. I still think Yandle has some up side and it seems as of late he has had less turnovers. I like our team if we can get reasonably healthy.
How about Michalek, Peumpel and a 1st from Ottawa for Yandle.

Michalek is good for 25-35 goals year, great two way player, big.
Puempel is a good goal scoring prospect, late first round pick from 2011
1st 2014

you get front line talent now.
Potential top 6 guy
the 1st is what you make of it!

*edit, just re-read some of the thread. I think id probbly take out the 1st
Michalek and Puempel (or if you would prefer a depth defensive D man.)

Last edited by Wondercarrot: 02-28-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 12:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
How about Michalek, Peumpel and a 1st from Ottawa for Yandle.

Michalek is good for 25-35 goals year, great two way player, big.
Puempel is a good goal scoring prospect, late first round pick from 2011
1st 2014

you get front line talent now.
Potential top 6 guy
the 1st is what you make of it!
If we move Yandle, it'll be to save money. Michalek doesn't help with that.

Closed Thread