HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If we move Yandle, it'll be to save money. Michalek doesn't help with that.
these better?

Zibanejad
or
Peumpel and 1st

Old
02-28-2013, 12:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
these better?

Zibanejad
or
Peumpel and 1st
Dump the "or" for an "and" and it's a lot closer. Yandle is a legitimate number one defenseman, just entering his prime, on a completely reasonable contract. Essentially, the most valuable kind trade asset that ever actually becomes available. He's worth a ton, and he'll return a king's ransom. I have no doubt about it. None.

02-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Dump the "or" for an "and" and it's a lot closer. Yandle is a legitimate number one defenseman, just entering his prime, on a completely reasonable contract. Essentially, the most valuable kind trade asset that ever actually becomes available. He's worth a ton, and he'll return a king's ransom. I have no doubt about it. None.
if he is that then id agree, but i see a number of things like "first 90 games this player, next 100 games this player, what will he be the next 100 games . who. is he.?"
"his offensive is pretty good 50pt guy but his all around game suspect etc."

i dont see him enough to know but you guys do.
i thought of him more as #2/#3 guy, or rather a fantastic leadguy in the 2nd pair than a true #1

maybe Z + Puempel but no first, perhaps a 2nd 2014 since we dont have a 2nd this year?

Old
02-28-2013, 12:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

My questions about if he's the player we have seen the last one hundred games or the one hundred games preceding have nothing to do with whether or not he's a #1 D just entering his prime, on a reasonable deal. I don't find that at all debatable. My question is whether he's utterly indispensable or not. That has every bit as much to do with OEL and our budget as it does with Yandle, himself. If the budget ceases to be an issue (I.E. we are relocated) than I wouldn't even consider moving Yandle. If we turns back on the afterburners and becomes more like the player we saw before his latest contract (the sky is the limit kind of guy) than I'd rather gut our roster in other areas to accommodate BOTH he and OEL, than trade him.

Quote:
maybe Z + Puempel but no first, perhaps a 2nd 2014 since we dont have a 2nd this year?
I probably wouldn't move him for a package with less than twenty five NHL games played.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
My questions about if he's the player we have seen the last one hundred games or the one hundred games preceding have nothing to do with whether or not he's a #1 D just entering his prime, on a reasonable deal. I don't find that at all debatable. My question is whether he's utterly indispensable or not. That has every bit as much to do with OEL and our budget as it does with Yandle, himself. If the budget ceases to be an issue (I.E. we are relocated) than I wouldn't even consider moving Yandle. If we turns back on the afterburners and becomes more like the player we saw before his latest contract (the sky is the limit kind of guy) than I'd rather gut our roster in other areas to accommodate BOTH he and OEL, than trade him.

I probably wouldn't move him for a package with less than twenty five NHL games played.
Ok i hear you on the first part.
on the second though, its going to be difficult to find a guy that doesnt make any money but has over say 2 or 3 years in and is a significant piece for the trade.

ie. the first offer had a legitimate top line player making only $4.3 million but i understand that's not really going to work as he makes too much.
you're looking for a very good player with more than 1 year but less than 3

any combination from ottawa that suits your fancy?

Old
02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
if he is that then id agree, but i see a number of things like "first 90 games this player, next 100 games this player, what will he be the next 100 games . who. is he.?"
"his offensive is pretty good 50pt guy but his all around game suspect etc."
He's projecting this year to have a prorated 9 goals, 35 assists, 44pt season, which would make the last 4 seasons:

12 29 41
11 48 59
11 32 43
9 35 44

I think we know who he is. Jovanovski in his prime, without the physical aspect. That's Yandle. He's a gambler, and needs hand holding on D, but he'll chip in 10 goals, 40 to 50 pts for your team ever year, with the occasional 50+ season. I think his 59 pt season will stay a career high.

His lack of physicality means he also almost never gets injured.

He gets along with other players.

There you go, that's Yandle in a nutshell.

Last edited by zz: 02-28-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 01:25 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
He's projecting this year to have a prorated 9 goals, 35 assists, 44pt season, which would make the last 4 seasons:

12 29 41
11 48 59
11 32 43
9 35 44

Not much of a question who is. Jovanovski in his prime, without the physical aspect. That's Yandle. He's gambler, and needs hand holding on D, but he'll chip in 10 goals, 40 to 50 pts for your team ever year, with the occasional 50+ season. I personally assume his 59 pt season will stay a career high.

His lack of physicality means he also almost never gets injured.

He gets along with other players.

There you go, that's Yandle in a nutshell.
I think he can improve the most with less turnovers. This can still happen and is more likely then a 60 point season for him. I hope we keep him and don't make any trades this year, unless we are stealing. Better health, team chemistry and Tip making the sum of the whole greater then the parts, is my hope. Our offense has been better then expected even without much from Doan or Sully, hopefully they catch fire...

Old
02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

O'Reilly has signed an offer sheet with Calgary. 2yrs, 5M avg/yr. Compensation is 1st+3rd. Interesting. If Colorado lets him go, they will lose him without addressing their needs at D, and they'll be letting him go inside the division, which I'm sure they'd have preferred to avoid. It's probably tempting because that pick should be pretty good. However, it's bound to be less good with ROR in a Flames uniform.

Then again, if they match, they've got to bring this distraction back into the room, and they'll have to go through this mess again in two years. They aren't able to trade him for a full year, if they match. He'll be in Denver, for better or worse, for at least a year.

Very interesting development in this soap opera.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Rutkowski

I wouldn't match it. The contract have a 2.5m signing bonus(to avoid the prorated adjustment) and the contract is set up as a "nuke" so the qualifying offer will be at roughly 6.8m when the contract runs out.

6.8m for a second line center in a low-cap NHL.

Instead, they get a top 5, possible even first overall, pick and a third to top it off in what I've been told is a very deep draft. Because yeah, Calgary is probably the worst team in the league(actually, ignore that probably) and their first overall is worth a lot. It's worth more than ROR with a **** contract is, at least.

EDIT: Oh yeah, from a buddy of mine:
"Feaster made the offer today because it will be one day past next year's trade deadline. And since Colorado can't trade him for one calendar year, Colorado will be unable to trade him until this contract is over. So in two year's they will be stuck with an RFA that will make a minimum of $6.5 Million, pretty much putting them right back in the same position they are in now."

So yeah, this really is a **** contract for Colorado. ROR is good, really good, and isn't even close to his prime but he isn't worth 6.5m in one year and 6.8m in two years.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
I wouldn't match it. The contract have a 2.5m signing bonus(to avoid the prorated adjustment) and the contract is set up as a "nuke" so the qualifying offer will be at roughly 6.8m when the contract runs out.

6.8m for a second line center in a low-cap NHL.

Instead, they get a top 5, possible even first overall, pick and a third to top it off in what I've been told is a very deep draft. Because yeah, Calgary is probably the worst team in the league(actually, ignore that probably) and their first overall is worth a lot. It's worth more than ROR with a **** contract is, at least.

EDIT: Oh yeah, from a buddy of mine:
"Feaster made the offer today because it will be one day past next year's trade deadline. And since Colorado can't trade him for one calendar year, Colorado will be unable to trade him until this contract is over. So in two year's they will be stuck with an RFA that will make a minimum of $6.5 Million, pretty much putting them right back in the same position they are in now."

So yeah, this really is a **** contract for Colorado. ROR is good, really good, and isn't even close to his prime but he isn't worth 6.5m in one year and 6.8m in two years.
You also have to add that since Colorado won't submit a QO at $6.5 it automatically makes ROR a UFA.

I think it's a large s**tb*g thing to do by Feaster...

All that said, Colorado can't match and bring that contract back into the fold knowing they're going to lose him without compensation...take the 1st and 3rd. The real Karma thing would be great if ROR absolutely sucked for Calgary and then Feaster wouldn't QO him at $6.5 and then Calgary loses him to free agency. So Calgary is out a 1st and 3rd for basically a year's worth of ROR...potentially lose out on McKinnon or Drouin or both. For that matter, good Karma could come to Colorado and they end up with two top 5 picks and they get to select a combination of McKinnon/Drouin/Jones/Barkov Wow, just wow.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Old
02-28-2013, 06:32 PM

It's not a contract I would have approved of Maloney giving, so I'm glad we didn't get caught up in that mess. I would have gladly given up only a 1st + 3rd rounder, but Calgary is on the hook for a lot of salary.

If Colorado doesn't match and Calgary gets him I could see Calgary slightly crawling out of the basement. You never know if he'll be that center that Iginla has been looking for all of these years. They are only adding so in theory they can only get better with the deal.

If Colorado matches the offer they are going to be facing lots of tough decisions in the next two years.

It's a potential genius move by Feaster though, sticks it to a division rival in a lose-lose situation for the Avs. If you can afford to make those kinds of moves they can help keep GM's honest.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
You also have to add that since Colorado won't submit a QO at $6.5 it automatically makes ROR a UFA.

I think it's a large s**tb*g thing to do by Feaster...

All that said, Colorado can't match and bring that contract back into the fold knowing they're going to lose him without compensation...take the 1st and 3rd. The real Karma thing would be great if ROR absolutely sucked for Calgary and then Feaster wouldn't QO him at $6.5 and then Calgary loses him to free agency. So Calgary is out a 1st and 3rd for basically a year's worth of ROR...potentially lose out on McKinnon or Drouin or both. For that matter, good Karma could come to Colorado and they end up with two top 5 picks and they get to select a combination of McKinnon/Drouin/Jones/Barkov Wow, just wow.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Flames believe they'll have him signed to a long term contract extension come July 1st.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:49 PM
XX
SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Flames believe they'll have him signed to a long term contract extension come July 1st.
I wouldn't bank on it. If anything, ROR wants to test the market. He has a chance to be an UFA at an age where most are still signed on with other clubs. If he puts up numbers, he can get a major payday on the open market. The Flames have to overpay to get him, and would have to overpay to not let him hit the market. In the process, they are giving up a top 10 pick.... when they should be rebuilding.

Terrible move.

Quote:

Zibanejad, Puempel and a 1st isn't bad. Considerable upside. That's one where you have to trust your scouts.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Excellent point. They may already have the framework agreed upon.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I wouldn't bank on it. If anything, ROR wants to test the market. He has a chance to be an UFA at an age where most are still signed on with other clubs. If he puts up numbers, he can get a major payday on the open market. The Flames have to overpay to get him, and would have to overpay to not let him hit the market. In the process, they are giving up a top 10 pick.... when they should be rebuilding.

Terrible move.
All they need do is qualify him. Sucky thing is the QO will be 6.5m. Not if they have something more reasonable and more long term already worked out, and on hold for the next four months, though.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:55 PM
XX
SOS

Quote:
All they need do is qualify him. Sucky thing is the QO will be 6.5m. Not if they have something more reasonable and more long term already worked out, and on hold for the next four months, though.
You can't sign an extension until Decemeber of the last year, right? So ROR has considerable time to put up numbers, at which point the situation repeats itself.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
You can't sign an extension until Decemeber of the last year, right? So ROR has considerable time to put up numbers, at which point the situation repeats itself.
Ah. Didn't know it was December 1st. Yeah, that definitely clouds things. Hmmm...either way, as another poster mentioned, I'm glad we aren't anywhere near this fiasco. ROR was incredibly appealing until his Dad brought this thing to Eric Lindros levels of dramatic. Too much baggage for me.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

"@Avalanche: BREAKING: @Avalanche announced tonight that the team has matched the Calgary Flames’ offer sheet for forward Ryan O’Reilly. More to follow.."

"@OfftheIce620: Looks like a scout from the #Hurricanes in the press box. They are looking for D-men... #Coyotes #Wild #NHL"

Last edited by Naurutger: 02-28-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 08:49 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Players on 1 year contracts can't sign an extension till Dec 1st. Players on multi-year contracts can sign extensions on Jul 1st of the final year of the contact. So ROR will be eligible to sign an extension in 4 months.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:55 PM
XX
SOS

Quote:
Players on 1 year contracts can't sign an extension till Dec 1st. Players on multi-year contracts can sign extensions on Jul 1st of the final year of the contact. So ROR will be eligible to sign an extension in 4 months.
But they matched, so he can't be dealt (and won't sign) until next years deadline.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:34 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
But they matched, so he can't be dealt (and won't sign) until next years deadline.
We have no idea whether he'll re-sign or not. There have been a lot of estranged player/team contract negotiations that were later patched up over the history of the NHL.

There's also a decent possibility if the NHL goes to the Olympics in Sochi, as most expect, that the deadline will be in the first week of March. Meaning ROR could be traded at the 2014 deadline. The league pushed back the trade deadline in other Olympic years.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
"@Avalanche: BREAKING: @Avalanche announced tonight that the team has matched the Calgary Flames’ offer sheet for forward Ryan O’Reilly. More to follow.."

"@OfftheIce620: Looks like a scout from the #Hurricanes in the press box. They are looking for D-men... #Coyotes #Wild #NHL"
I wouldnt mind picking up the currently slumping, but usually consistent Jussi Jokinen. He finds himself a bit less integral in Carolina. Has had success under Tippett, can play center or wing with equal effectiveness, is an excellent PP weapon and shootout specialist. Decent enough defensively, too. Still only 29, after all these years.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

"@OfftheIce620: In addition to #Hurricanes, scouts from #Leafs, #Flyers and #Rangers at #Coyotes - #Wild game. #NHL"

Old
02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Quote:
I wouldnt mind picking up the currently slumping, but usually consistent Jussi Jokinen. He finds himself a bit less integral in Carolina. Has had success under Tippett, can play center or wing with equal effectiveness, is an excellent PP weapon and shootout specialist. Decent enough defensively, too. Still only 29, after all these years.
If he was coming this way, I'd guess Klesla would be going back. Same age, same contract length and money. With Rusty's continuing injuries I wouldn't be surprised if he is the first one to go should DM feel he needs to make a move. Stone seems to have garnered enough confidence from Maloney and Tip to get the most time of the young guys with all the inuries, so maybe it's time to hand over a spot on the club full time.

Closed Thread