HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
I wonder how Rusty for Jussi would play on the main board.

02-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

We need to stop ****in around and pull the trigger on this deal involving our depth on defense for offensive help. PP is pathetic, zone entry pathetic, puck control pathetic, and same goes for passing. We need a difference maker.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Vip
In the clouds

Our 1st round draft picks for the next 5 years + OEL + Vermette

for

Sidney Crosby

Finally we get that #1 Center we have always wanted

Old
03-01-2013, 12:04 AM
zz

There's something I hate about Vermette, but I can't put my finger on it. He really irritates me, and he's quickly becoming my least favorite player on the team, but I can't quite explain why.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Vip
In the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
There's something I hate about Vermette, but I can't put my finger on it. He really irritates me, and he's quickly becoming my least favorite player on the team, but I can't quite explain why.
I have a man crush on him. For the past 3-4 years, I would always trade for him in my "Be A GM" in the NHL games for xbox.. I'd always make him my #1 center particularly because of how fast he is in the games. It's quite funny that we acquired him last year, as he has always been one of my favorite players...

Old
03-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
I have a man crush on him. For the past 3-4 years, I would always trade for him in my "Be A GM" in the NHL games for xbox.. I'd always make him my #1 center particularly because of how fast he is in the games. It's quite funny that we acquired him last year, as he has always been one of my favorite players...
Beat it Vis, Vermette is MY man crush.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Serious question, did you hate Nagy? I feel like he's a faster Nagy but a center. I love his speed and creativity, i don't see what's not to like. My only beef with him is that he needs to shoot more.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:03 AM
AndrewYotes

He's picked up his play these last 5 games or so, as well. Can't really hate on him, when his linemates have mostly been Doan and Sullivan. Doan is Doan, and Sully is useless.

I hope I end up eating a large serving of crow on Sullivan.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:17 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Serious question, did you hate Nagy? I feel like he's a faster Nagy but a center. I love his speed and creativity, i don't see what's not to like. My only beef with him is that he needs to shoot more.
Pre-injury, I loved Nagy. I just don't see Vermette's creativity or speed. At all. He can't hold on to the puck, can't take a pass, I get really frustrated watching him.

He does seem to be skating back and forth, but I don't find him to be effective. Tonight, he was #2 on TOI among forwards, close to Doan with 17+ min of ice time. What does he have to show for it? 2 shots, 0 point, -3.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:54 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Vermette is a victim of bad linemates, at this point. Boedker and him blow defensive assignments because Boeds is playing the wrong side due to injuries. They've both had -3 games since Vrbata went down. A team as shallow as the Coyotes is going to look really, really bad when you take away the top 2 forwards. It exposes the others for what they are.

Sullivan has no compete. He can still do the dance, but he doesn't have the heart or desire to finish. Looks like a guy playing out the string of his career for a few extra dollars. If he hadn't gotten a call from the Coyotes, I'd imagine he would have retired. Doan is the same way. I don't know if he is injured, but he has lost two steps. He wasn't fast to begin with, so he looks really bad out there. The skill is still there, but he is struggling with the speed of the game.

Lombardi is just a lost soul at this point. Moss and Korpi have been invisible at times.

The Coyotes are not far from 13th/14th place. A string of losses against the Ducks, entirely possible, would be the final nail in this season IMO.

Next games: 15 in 29
Ducks
Ducks
Ducks
Blues
Stars
Kings
Blues
Jackets
Kings
Kings
Canucks
Red Wings
Wild
Predators
Sharks
Kings
Trade Deadline

There is potential there for an epic losing streak. They are in serious trouble if they don't get healthy. It's likely that Maloney is a seller rather than a buyer, come the deadline. That's a brutal schedule for a team struggling to find offense, that isn't healthy and has shaky goaltending/suspect defense.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:25 AM
AndrewYotes

Doan still finishes when gets in position. He's just so slow he's rarely in position. Agreed about Sully. I disagree with your Lombardi assessment, he has looked fine since he's returned from his injury.

But it is make it or break it time. This club is basically .500 so far. That's not good enough for the playoffs. They need a long streak, or its not happening.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Because of the injury situation, this may not be our year. Sully hasn't looked good and the schedule looks to be brutal for the next 20 games.

We play the following teams:
Kings: 4 games
Ducks: 3 games
Blues: 2 games
Detroit: 2 game
Vancouver: 2 game
Dallas: 1 game
Columbus: 1 game
Minnesota: 1 game
Nashville: 1 game
San Jose: 1 game
Colorado: 1 game
Edmonton: 1 game

It's difficult when you're missing the 2 top scorers at the beginning of the season, now granted we didn't expect Marty to be our 2nd leading scorer, but he's looked fantastic in front of the net and we wonder why the PP went south when he went down...not too hard to figure out.

If we ended up in the 8th spot and had to face Chicago, I think if we are healthy, I believe we win that series. But again, we have to be healthy.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Chootoi

I think that if the Coyotes are any more than 4-6 pts on the outside by deadline time, then they should seriously look at moving Mike Smith. They have 12 games left after the deadline, and although not impossible, making up 3 wins in 12 games in the wild wild west is a huge task.

For one, we know he's due for a big pay day next year and I'm not so sure they'll be able to afford him as I believe someone will probably throw a huge long-term deal at him that we just can't match. And honestly, with Tippets system and the staff we have in place I'm more than confident in Maloney and especially Sean Burke to bring in another bargain guy and turn him into a solid #1. There's all kinds of potential UFA options this summer that could be intriguing (Chris Mason, Jose Theodore, Ray Emery).

I'd rather use Smiths raise to pay OEL and Boedker. Yandle I'm torn on. We have a log jam on the backend that he'd be a great chip to upgrade up front with, but I think we need him around until either Gormley is ready or until Rundblad shows us a little more. We still need another PP unit guy besides OEL for now.

I think Mike Smith would fetch a 1st round pick, and there are teams out there in a position to upgrade in net for a playoff run. Smith is most definitely an upgrade over Scrivens and Reimer for the Leafs, Tampa is only 2 pts out and has had goaltending issues, even Washington is only 6 pts out right now and playing better and they could probably use the help. With this draft looking to be pretty deep on forwards that are almost NHL ready right now, that could be a huge plus.

I really hate to rag on Smith because I love what he's done for this team the past two seasons, but it seems like when things are going good, he's the best guy to have around and when things start going south he's throwing tantrums and breaking sticks and **** like Ryan Miller. I like his competitiveness, but that's not the way to show it. The worst thing you can do in that situation is lose your composure. If the team takes a bit of a slide here, I could see that escalating. I really hope not, in fact I hope none of this even matters as hopefully they can make a hard push to the playoffs obviously, but I feel that this could be a realistic scenario.

Wow that was longer than I thought it would be. Admittedly, I haven't read through this whole thread, so apologies if this has already been tossed around.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:21 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

I'd trade anyone and everyone not named Hanzal, Boedker or OEL. And I mean everyone. I don't care if you end up with 20+ picks in this draft. This team isn't coming out the other side of this offseason better. Maloney has been lucky so far, getting cheap production out of OEL, Boedker and Smith. But it's time to pay up, and the Coyotes have no owner. There's a good chance they end up with no GM or Coach.

A 'competitive' team can be rebuilt almost instantly, with the right coach. A great team will take time. So I say we burn this mother to the ground.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:47 AM

I don't know if it's been discussed or not, but both Tip and Maloney's contract is up this summer right? Even if we are at the status quo and the team manages to stay in Glendale another year, would each of them be coming back?

I would think each of them would have to look at the success they've had here and really consider any more stable options that might be available.

At this point I don't see anyone that has a choice really exciting about staying. Ownership issues for this long, even if they stay here another year everyone knows it's very unstable. Heck, we were pretty darn near losing Shane Doan and if anyone was going to stay it was him!

Old
03-01-2013, 09:17 AM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I don't know if it's been discussed or not, but both Tip and Maloney's contract is up this summer right? Even if we are at the status quo and the team manages to stay in Glendale another year, would each of them be coming back?

I would think each of them would have to look at the success they've had here and really consider any more stable options that might be available.

At this point I don't see anyone that has a choice really exciting about staying. Ownership issues for this long, even if they stay here another year everyone knows it's very unstable. Heck, we were pretty darn near losing Shane Doan and if anyone was going to stay it was him!
Everyone knows and is afraid to talk about it. Maloney to the NYR replacing Sather is a natural landing spot. We know GMDM and family love it in the Valley but with the uncertain future hard to imagine he wouldn't take the Rangers job. Maybe he takes Tipp with him. Sad but realitistic.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Personally, I've got no interest in another lame-duck season. Maloney and Tippett would almost certainly move on to greener pastures. At that point there would be no point in Mike Smith sticking around, and even Boyd Gordon would likely see the writing on the wall and decide to leave on his own terms. How long does it take Shane Doan to demand a trade? Once he's gone, Derek Morris will certainly follow suit. So we've got a team coached by John Anderson and Jim Playfair, back-stopped by Jason LaBarbera and captained by Keith Yandle. At least we'll get Connor McDavid out of it.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:32 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
At least we'll get Connor McDavid out of it.
McDavid is 2015 eligible. So we wouldn't even have that.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZviaNJ View Post
Everyone knows and is afraid to talk about it. Maloney to the NYR replacing Sather is a natural landing spot. We know GMDM and family love it in the Valley but with the uncertain future hard to imagine he wouldn't take the Rangers job. Maybe he takes Tipp with him. Sad but realitistic.
If we move to Seattle, I can see us keeping Maloney, Tippett, Burke, Doan, Morris, and Smith.

If we move to Quebec, we almost certainly lose all six. I'd guess a lame-duck season in Glendale would have the same result.

Guys I'd look at as replacements would be the Hunters. I think it'd be easy for a group of Tippett players to transition into a group of Hunter players. They'd likely only be options in QC, though. They certainly wouldn't come aboard for a lame-duck year.

Someone who hasn't been mentioned, that I think would be fairly ideal as a head coaching replacement is Ulf Samuelsson. Remember when Gretzky stepped down and Ulf got the team ready for Tippett? Everybody said it was so seamless because the two are so similar in the way they prepare, coach, operate, etc. I think he'd be a good fit. Only problem is that I really like Playfair, too. Both are obviously D guys. Still, Samuelsson, Playfair, and a good offensive associate coach would make a fairly effective trio, I'd think.

Brad Treliving has now been studying under Maloney for SIX YEARS (gosh, time flies, doesn't it?). If he's absorbed enough, he might be a decent GM candidate.

I doubt any of Samuelsson, Playfair, or Treliving speak French, however. Might be an issue in the event of a relo to QC. All would probably be willing to take over in a lame-duck season in Phoenix, though.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:43 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
McDavid is 2015 eligible. So we wouldn't even have that.
Ho-Sang, Virtanen, or Reinhardt?

Old
03-01-2013, 10:18 AM
cobra427

Assuming no owner shows up, Tip and DM will have plenty of interest from other teams this summer, and can be done with this merry go round. This is why I think they keep the team in tact, hope we get healthy, catch fire, and make the playoffs. Neither Tip or DM have any incentive to sell assets and build for next year, when they both are likely not here. Unless we totally tank the next 10 games, they won't be sellers at the dead line. The marketability of Tip and DM goes up if they cobble together a playoff run. Selling assets does not help Tip or DM's market value at year end but another miraculous playoff run does....

Old
03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Vip
In the clouds

So to sum it all up, we are most likely going to go on an epic losing streak the upcoming games.
DT and DM are both leaving us this summer.
Mike Smith is going to get a huge pay raise from another team.
Our team most likely gets moved.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:45 AM
zz

I think the most likely scenario will be a typical Coyote season: we'll finish 9th or 10th, we won't trade away Smith because we think we have a shot, and we end up getting another defensive prospect at the draft, around #10 or 12.

Regardless, I'm having a difficult time picturing this team in the postseason, not with the Kings waking up and the Ducks kicking ass.

I'm kinda curious to see who's going to foot the bill for next season. Now that the ownership situation has reached full train-wreck mode, I have a morbid curiosity to see how the whole thing will blow up. Westgate going dark? Bankrupt city? Hmmmm...

Old
03-01-2013, 11:56 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
So to sum it all up, we are most likely going to go on an epic losing streak the upcoming games.
DT and DM are both leaving us this summer.
Mike Smith is going to get a huge pay raise from another team.
Our team most likely gets moved.
I'm not sold on the losing streak part.

DT and DM are leaving if we don't relocate to Seattle or find stable local ownership.

Mike Smith probably follows DT wherever he goes. He'd be crazy not to.

Yeah, our team most likely gets moved.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:58 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
I think even if you traded Smith, you'd have a good shot at re-signing him as a UFA. Teams aren't giving out Bryzgalov contracts with the new CBA, and the Tippet factor is going to make other teams shy.
If we're on a losing jag and can get something useful for him, I make the deal and hope Chad Johnson can be serviceable the rest of the year (or tank with Labarbera, but I can't see them doing that).
If we do blow it up, then go ahead and deal anything that isn't OEL, Boedker or Hanzal if you can get premier assets.

Closed Thread