HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 12:00 PM
hbk

vCash: 500
I've written this team off a few years but yet they always surprise me. Yes, things are bleak but they've never been too rosy have they?

I'm okay with giving it a shot and if we fall short we fall short. If you look at the 2003 Entry Draft (best draft in recent memory) and have a look at the top 15 and then look at the next 15 and ask yourself which one's turned out to be better. That's why I'm okay with picking at 13 or 14. Yes, in an ideal world I'd like a top 5 pick if we miss the playoffs but I don't believe in purposely tanking a la Oilers for the last five years. That would be a disgrace in my mind.

As for the future. I'd desperately like to retain both Maloney and Tippett. Both are amazing at what they do. One of the biggest fears I have with a potential Quebec move (outside of taxes and culture which will decimate any chances to ever attract a top tier free agent btw) would be the likely hiring of Patrick Roy to take over as GM and possibly coach.

Any move will result in unplanned trades to accommodate veterans. Doan would be at the top of that list as I suspect there would be a 0 percent chance he moves with the team to Quebec. Seattle would potentially stand a chance but I've never been a huge fan of that city myself so I can understand if others would feel the same.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
GMDM may have to evolve this year and make a big move to save this season. I don't know if he has the you-know-whats to do it, though. I'm just fine with a top-five pick, so I'm happy either way.

We have lost three of our last four, two of them against horrible teams. At what point do you guys think/expect some moves to be made. If we stand pat, I will be very disappointed.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
So to sum it all up, we are most likely going to go on an epic losing streak the upcoming games.
DT and DM are both leaving us this summer.
Mike Smith is going to get a huge pay raise from another team.
Our team most likely gets moved.
on the plus side i understand Vermette just bought the house next to you...

Old
03-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Reading the last few pages reminds me how people make money off the stock market.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
There's something I hate about Vermette, but I can't put my finger on it. He really irritates me, and he's quickly becoming my least favorite player on the team, but I can't quite explain why.
is it because his legs go a thousand miles and hour and neither his brain nor hands are moving at quite the same speed?
Is it his frequent bobbling of the puck, inability to cleanly take passes or his not especially accurate shot that he rarely uses? or his penchant for falling down?

He's should be great on faceoffs, great PKer due to his speed etc
but i remember experiencing these issues when he was in Ottawa.
I alwas expected him to grow into something more - but he didnt.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Reading the last few pages reminds me how people make money off the stock market.
classic, come visit the Sens board - more ups and downs than an elevator.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I'm not terribly worried about the current season and I absolutely advocate going with what we've got or making minor tweaks at the most.

However, being concerned over the contracts of Maloney, Tippett, and Smith is not akin to being a chicken little. It's just good common sense to worry about that.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
However, being concerned over the contracts of Maloney, Tippett, and Smith is not akin to being a chicken little. It's just good common sense to worry about that.
I would agree, I'm very worried about GMDM and Tippet specifically. I could handle the loss of Smith but losing Don and Tip would be a freaking disaster!

Old
03-01-2013, 08:25 PM
XX
... Waiting

Apparently Calgary would have lost their picks had the Avs not matched... and they wouldn't get ROR. Players coming from overseas to different teams are considered free agents and must pass through waivers. Had Sherman known this or bothered to ask before the knee-jerk match, he could have extracted assets from Columbus in exchange for not matching.

I'm glad neither idiot is employed by this team. We have one of the best.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:49 AM
Rutkowski

Actually, he could have asked Columbus to match for a first.

That way, the end result could've been:

Colorado:
Calgary 1st
Calgary 3rd
New York 1st(for example, Columbus hold three different 1st rounder)

Columbus:
Ryan O'Rielly

Calgary:
Ryan O'Rielly's 2.5M Signing Bonus

If that would have happened it would easily have been the highlight of the season. ******* Calgary is run but a bunch of morons.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:05 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

What would it take to get Boedker?

Not just from a VAN poi. But in general?

Id like to know his worth on your team..

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 03-02-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old
03-02-2013, 06:08 AM
XX
... Waiting

Not for sale. He hasn't stopped growing as a player. So it's impossible to pin down his value, like OEL.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:11 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Not for sale. He hasn't stopped growing as a player. So it's impossible to pin down his value, like OEL.
Ok- SO Boedker is no go

Has he delivered what you expect so far?

I can think of a few teams that would LOVE his speed...

Old
03-02-2013, 07:55 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingNuck View Post
Ok- SO Boedker is no go

Has he delivered what you expect so far?

I can think of a few teams that would LOVE his speed...
The way he picked up his play last playoffs was more than I expected, but his production this season is not what I hoped for, but then again I've been hoping for an owner, so my expectation is way too high. Anyways, it's all about the wins and he has been a great 2-way player.

Also everybody has a price. It's not realistic for another team to try to pay the price to acquire him.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
The way he picked up his play last playoffs was more than I expected, but his production this season is not what I hoped for, but then again I've been hoping for an owner, so my expectation is way too high. Anyways, it's all about the wins and he has been a great 2-way player.

Also everybody has a price. It's not realistic for another team to try to pay the price to acquire him.
His goal production you mean? He does lead the Coyotes in points.

Surprising to see the 22yo Boedker and the 21yo OEL as the top two in points for the Coyotes.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Etch

vCash: 193
As far as Boedker goes, he's on pace for 62 points (if it was a normal 82 game season) where he had just 24 last year. Can't really expect much more in terms of progression after just one year, especially considering who his linemates have been... And as mentioned he's been great on both ends of the ice.

I'm definitely on board by saying besides him, OEL and the "fourth line", pretty much every one on this team needs to figure out what sport they are playing here and fast.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:34 AM
hbk

I really think this team will be forced into sell mode. We lack the one thing that kept this team going in recent years. Hope of a future in Phoenix. We have no ownership group rumors. A lame duck GM and coach; basically a large percentage chance that this franchise is moving next season which means huge disruption for players, families, etc. We are one losing streak from the wheels coming off the bus. I'm proud as hell for Maloney and Tippett for routinely defying the odds and making the playoffs and I'm especially happy that the playoff curse is over. It's not that I'm all doom and gloom. I just believe that this year is going to be a mess.

At this point I'm not worried about the playoffs to be honest. I'm afraid of relocation or worse the folding of the franchise to preserve expansion fee revenue for the NHL. I fear that everything that I've believed in; the love of a franchise for 25+ years will in the end be for naught. I fear that with that will go my love for the game and the realization that there are other things in this life for me to pour my energies into. For me this isn't about a season. It's about an aspect of life that I've held dear for decades. An aspect that I fear is now over.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:02 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Thanks for all the replies regarding Boedker

Gives a nice picture of how you guys value him..

Im sorry to hear so many of you fearing for the future of your team! I hope you guys make it.. Ive always liked Phoenix ..

And let's be honest no one wants another Québécois team, but the Québécois

Old
03-02-2013, 10:07 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
At this point I'm not worried about the playoffs to be honest. I'm afraid of relocation or worse the folding of the franchise to preserve expansion fee revenue for the NHL. I fear that everything that I've believed in; the love of a franchise for 25+ years will in the end be for naught.
I rate the chance of folding below finding a local owner. Which is to say, it's very unlikely. We've got another month until this shakes out. Come the deadline, I expect the Coyotes to be out of playoff position. Doan will be moved, if possible, out of respect. Then the dominoes fall. It actually behooves this team to be gutted; Seattle and QC can both afford 1-2 years of terrible play for the sake of rebuilding the right way. Whether or not you want to stick around and be witness to such a thing is a personal choice. Depending on how this shakes out with the league, city and all manner of sordid details, I can't really blame anyone for swearing off the 'franchise' or even hockey in general.

We're 2 months from the NHL having exactly zero reason to keep the team here and many compelling reasons to move them. In past years, Glendale was willing to pay the bills. Not so anymore. Without a realistic shot at an owner, the NHL has to remove itself from a toxic (financial) situation and give the team to a new market. That may mean not getting full price, but it's likely a wash when you consider they could be on the hook for 25+ million in losses.

Nobody really wins here. Not even the league. I'll never let them hide from the fact that they never backed down from a price twice what the team is worth. Whether or not they played Glendale for the sake of moving the team likely won't come to light and, in all honestly, just doesn't seem realistic. Sometimes economics and the raw truth of how corporations operate can be a *****. This is one of those cases. Lament how we got here, like terrible owners, but the numbers don't really lie. There just isn't a solid business case for unsubsidized hockey in Phoenix, right now.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:59 PM
AndrewYotes

I love hockey. But I don't know who'd I even watch if the Coyotes move. Especially if the team is gutted. Without Doan, Tippet, GMDM, Smith, or the rest of the core its not even the coyotes anymore. I have no idea what team I'd follow. My folks are from Chicago and Detroit, but I'm from Arizona so I don't want to root for those teams even if I have a 'claim' for them. I've loved this team's underdog story the last few seasons. I mean, the real reason I follow this team is the emotional attachment I have with the players and their success. I know other team's players but its not the same.

It all depends on where they move and how much of the roster they keep. QC is in an entirely different conference and timezone. I might follow them in Seattle even with a rebuild. Maybe the Avs? IDK. What would you guys do?

Old
03-02-2013, 04:49 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewYotes View Post
I love hockey. But I don't know who'd I even watch if the Coyotes move. Especially if the team is gutted. Without Doan, Tippet, GMDM, Smith, or the rest of the core its not even the coyotes anymore. I have no idea what team I'd follow. My folks are from Chicago and Detroit, but I'm from Arizona so I don't want to root for those teams even if I have a 'claim' for them. I've loved this team's underdog story the last few seasons. I mean, the real reason I follow this team is the emotional attachment I have with the players and their success. I know other team's players but its not the same.
It all depends on where they move and how much of the roster they keep. QC is in an entirely different conference and timezone. I might follow them in Seattle even with a rebuild. Maybe the Avs? IDK. What would you guys do?
When my beloved Whalers left CT, I ended up moving back to AZ and started following the 'Yotes. It took me a couple of years to become a diehard fan. I couldn't see me being a 'Canes fan even though Ronnie Franchise is running the show and I've been to a couple of games in Raleigh. Different circumstances, so I may still follow the players, I may not still be a diehard fan. Heck I'm not all into this season as I have been in the past. I have a hard time seeing the players give 110% when no owner is watching and appreciating it. I thought about bringing in Iginla for the playoff run, just so he can stick it to the league (winning Lord Stanley's Cup on an ownerless team that may otherwise be relocated would be a major thorn in the league side).

Old
03-02-2013, 09:59 PM
zLiMbiLLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
When my beloved Whalers left CT, I ended up moving back to AZ and started following the 'Yotes. It took me a couple of years to become a diehard fan. I couldn't see me being a 'Canes fan even though Ronnie Franchise is running the show and I've been to a couple of games in Raleigh. Different circumstances, so I may still follow the players, I may not still be a diehard fan. Heck I'm not all into this season as I have been in the past. I have a hard time seeing the players give 110% when no owner is watching and appreciating it. I thought about bringing in Iginla for the playoff run, just so he can stick it to the league (winning Lord Stanley's Cup on an ownerless team that may otherwise be relocated would be a major thorn in the league side).
Oh this bullcrap in this thread, Phoenix has all potential in the world to be a successfull hockey franchise. Cant stand narrowness and all this rambling looser talk.
Coyotes will grow! and has done ever since the prep turd Gretzky left.

Now back to trade talk!

Yandle lost his guy to guys two times again this night which resulted in goals. I like Yandle so much, both as person and when he plays at his best. But it's SERIOUSLY bothering that you cannot rely on him every game!!

One player Ive been impressed of is Dustin Byfuglien. Whata character and pack of dynamite he is. Allthought Im not saying I think he should play in Coyotes.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:31 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLiMbiLLY View Post
Oh this bullcrap in this thread, Phoenix has all potential in the world to be a successfull hockey franchise. Cant stand narrowness and all this rambling looser talk.
Coyotes will grow! and has done ever since the prep turd Gretzky left.
Guess you didn't get the memo about the 'Yotes not having an owner...
I've been thinking about when Doan was promised that the 'Yotes would bring in players to compete for the Cup the last time he was negotiating for a contract, and then, what he went through in this negotiations with Jamison making promises (as well as the others). That's got to eat away at you. I'm also feeling burned out from the ownership saga which results in my being apathetic to the franchise at this moment (well, at least not as passionate as I once was).

Old
03-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Jakey53

Awhile back I was saying that the Turris trade is starting to bite us in the ***. It looks like Turris is starting to fall flat on his face now that Spezza is hurt. He is not getting sheltered minutes and now that he is facing the best of the opposition he is failing. Ottawa fans starting to flame on Turris. Couldn't happen to a better kid.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:05 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
Awhile back I was saying that the Turris trade is starting to bite us in the ***. It looks like Turris is starting to fall flat on his face now that Spezza is hurt. He is not getting sheltered minutes and now that he is facing the best of the opposition he is failing. Ottawa fans starting to flame on Turris. Couldn't happen to a better kid.
Potential is a word that means hasn't done it and may never do it.

Turris just isn't the dominate first liner that many of us envisioned when we drafted him. His lack of size and strength still is an area of concern. He's in a good situation in Ottawa and I hope he puts it together. I don't respect him for the selfish crap he pulled on Maloney and the Coyotes but I'm over it.

Closed Thread