HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Depending on how the team starts, I would not be opposed to giving guys like Klesla and Hanzal nights off.

Also gotta limit the 30 min games by Yandle and OEL, we have the depth that such nights are not normally necessary.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Let's face it...with a shortened season and the likelihood of more than a couple 3 games in 4 nights scheduling, how effective we are is going to depend greatly on our ability to stay healthy.

Hanzal and Moss can't miss very much time for sure, and hopefully Korpikoski can remain healthy all year long as he was basically hurt the entire 2nd half of the season including the playoffs.
I was just talking to a buddy about this today, I think far more than usual the teams that will be successful this season will be the ones who manage to stay healthy and the ones who's players managed to stay in shape the best during the elongated off-season. It's going to be a grueling few months in the NHL!

Old
01-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Scratch the previous comments re: Connolly and Lombardi. I have no idea where the Leafs stand now with Burke out as GM.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Scratch the previous comments re: Connolly and Lombardi. I have no idea where the Leafs stand now with Burke out as GM.
Nonis is a stooge. They are going to trade for Luongo and go for it this year, rather than do the smart thing and blow it up. Burke never rebuilt it properly in the first place.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Rutkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Nonis is a stooge. They are going to trade for Luongo and go for it this year, rather than do the smart thing and blow it up. Burke never rebuilt it properly in the first place.
He did pretty well with the **** he had to work with in the beginning, he was too slow though and doesn't really adapt well with the changing game(as in, his D and G work was horrible).

Old
01-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Quote:
Agreed. The Canucks have the leverage now because they know Nonis has to get Luongo. This could be ugly.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:11 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Agreed. The Canucks have the leverage now because they know Nonis has to get Luongo. This could be ugly.
I agree, it's kinda pathetic. The Leafs had leverage because the 'Nucks needed to be rid of Luongo and not many teams were interested. Luongo had some leverage to make sure the 'Nucks didn't ask too much from the team he is traded to with his NTC. Now it seems this trend is reversed.
But then again Burke was terrible. 6/16 forwards on the team will be UFAs. Not impressive at drafting or making trades.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So looking at rosters around the league and drooling over possibilities like Nielsen, Peverley, Grabovski, etc and dismissing those chances due to what I can only imagine are astronomical asking prices...it dawns on me...somehow Don Maloney scored Antoine Vermette for a ****ing second round pick. What?!?!? Magician, man. Freaking magician.

01-09-2013, 11:47 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
So looking at rosters around the league and drooling over possibilities like Nielsen, Peverley, Grabovski, etc and dismissing those chances due to what I can only imagine are astronomical asking prices...it dawns on me...somehow Don Maloney scored Antoine Vermette for a ****ing second round pick. What?!?!? Magician, man. Freaking magician.
Dealings with Howson! Who's next?

Old
01-10-2013, 12:01 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Dealings with Howson! Who's next?
Any of RyJo, Brassard, Dubinsky, or Anisimov will do just fine.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:32 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

I'd be happy with a 3rd line center that has some scoring touch. We don't have one over powering line but if Sullivan plays decently we would have three lines capable of scoring. However, if we put Gordon on the 3rd line and Chip on the 4th line that is going to make those two lines a whole let less dynamic and explosive.

Boedker/Vermette/Doan
Sullivan/Hanzal/Vrbata
Korpi/3rd Line/Moss

would be nice. I guess we will be counting on Smith and some offense from the likes of Yandle and OEL as it stands now.

I do think that we will see OEL be a bigger part of the offense if he is paired with Michalek. Michalek used to cover Jovo's ass.

And having Michalek, Klesla and Gordon on the PK is going to be awesome.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:52 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
I'd be happy with a 3rd line center that has some scoring touch. We don't have one over powering line but if Sullivan plays decently we would have three lines capable of scoring. However, if we put Gordon on the 3rd line and Chip on the 4th line that is going to make those two lines a whole let less dynamic and explosive.

Boedker/Vermette/Doan
Sullivan/Hanzal/Vrbata
Korpi/3rd Line/Moss
And having Michalek, Klesla and Gordon on the PK is going to be awesome.
I still think Coach Tip will have Moss at center and not RW

Still dreaming of Iginla
Boedker - Vermette - Iginla
Korpi - Hanzal - Vrbata
Sullivan - Moss - Doan
Torres - Gordon - Chipchura

has the makings of a Stanley Cup run!!!

& you forgot Korpi in the PK...

without Iginla it would guarantee the Flames a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft, get valuable assets, lower cap hit, and the rebuild may only take one shorten season.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Calgary traded for Cammalleri and signed Hudler and Wideman, even if they maybe should be they aren't in a rebuild.

Now if they're out of it at the deadline and Iginla is frustrated, who knows. But at that point lots of teams would want him and it would be a bidding war. I'd also think he'd get a lot of input into where he went.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:34 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
Hehe.

Also, I really liked what Brule brought. I would have re-upped him on a one year if there hadn't been a lockout. Sullivan and Moss have proven brittle in the past, and having a guy like Brule as depth would be attractive. Who knows? In a shortened season, if injuries pile up on a squad, I expect a guy like Brule might find NHL employment.
You know, your argument about Michalek's reacquisition relagating Klesla to the third pair has really made me think. I believe your point was that Klesla should have good trade value. Maybe more than he'd have on our third pair. I'm not sure I totally buy it, but it is most definitely a thinker. I guess really my main issue was going with three totally green D in the five six and seven spots. I think I'd rather acquire another vet. One maybe more suited to that spot than Klesla. In the spirit of reacquisition, I thought about Ballard.

Torres and Schlemko to Vancouver for Ballard (Vancouver retains 1.25m)

Raffi makes about a million more than Volpatti who he'd replace. Schlemko makes about 3.5m less than Ballard. So, Vancouver is saves 1.25m in cap this season and 3m next. It might make more sense for Vancouver to amnesty Ballard next off season, but he's clearly a bad fit, and this way they get a nice replacement in Schlemko and a decent upgrade for their fourth line.

Then we do your plan and move Klesla to New York for Josh Bailey.

Finally, a third for Lombardi if Toronto will eat a million bucks.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata
Bailey-Lombardi-Korpikoski
Chipchura-Gordon-Moss
Bissonnette

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Ballard-Stone
Summers

Old
01-10-2013, 10:42 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Klesla >>>>> Ballard. Come on now. One of the last guys we should be thinking about trading.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Quote:
Klesla >>>>> Ballard. Come on now. One of the last guys we should be thinking about trading.
I reached the Bronie Stage with Rusty last year. Trade him and I will go

Old
01-10-2013, 10:52 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I will agree. He's better than Ballard, no doubt. Klesla is looking at bottom pair 5on5 mins, 1st unit PK, and zilch on the pp. How many minutes a game is that? Is it worth it to downgrade those minutes in order to add some scoring in exchange?

Forget about my ridiculous scenario. I suspect Klesla has good trade value. On most teams he's a top four. I suspect there is a solid vet replacement who's less effective overall. A guy who is a true 5-6, PK type. I would guess a guy like that could be acquired for relatively little.

Of course it is a huge advantage to have an ace in the hole like Klesla. A guy who can fill in anywhere if need be. However, that seems a bit like a luxury given our need for scoring. If we can parlay what is ultimately more a luxury than anything else for some scoring depth and a competent replacement for the bottom pair, is that not worth looking at? Again, remove my silly proposals and just consider the overall idea.

Initially I scoffed, too, when Kaibur brought it up. It makes some sense to me, though, after some consideration.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

I know the purpose of this site is to allow fans to give their thoughts on hockey related matters, but Tippett and Maloney have totally killed that purpose for threads such as this. I don't even care what I think about this topic. I can't wait for their next move...They've proven over and over that Coyote fans either like their moves, or when we think they're bad or insignificant we end up looking stupid when we see how well they work out. Having said that I'm now excited to see what Moss and Sullivan do on the ice.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:27 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

^ solid point. Speculation is still fun. ESPECIALLY when Maloney pulls the trigger on something we've speculated on in the past but completely exceeds our expectations. We talked about Vermette, but did we ever imagine it'd only cost a 2nd? We all talked about Michalek but none of us thought it'd be for free. I wanted Upshall for years but it was laughable when we got him for an undersized, head case goon (with a 2nd to boot). I proposed Stempniak for a 2nd. Maloney got him for a 4th. The Don will frequently pick up guys we've talked about but he will never pay ad much as we expect. Just improves the overall awe factor. Enriches the experience of basking in the glow of his greatness. Haha.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:35 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Of course it is a huge advantage to have an ace in the hole like Klesla. A guy who can fill in anywhere if need be. However, that seems a bit like a luxury given our need for scoring. If we can parlay what is ultimately more a luxury than anything else for some scoring depth and a competent replacement for the bottom pair, is that not worth looking at? Again, remove my silly proposals and just consider the overall idea.
This team is not going to get by with a balanced roster. There simply isn't enough offensive talent to go around, sign or call up. You've got a defensive coach and a team built from the goal out. Messing around with that is asking for trouble. Josh Bailey hasn't cracked 40 pts in the NHL. He is not our savior, nor will he turn this team into an offensive juggernaut. Tippett's teams are all about being opportunists. Skill matters very little in those situations. We saw it last year.

Klesla likes it here, is on a good contract and was money in the playoffs. If you want to point at luxuries, how about the boob backup we have or DMo perennially sucking? With Z and Klesla, this team has a legitimate shot at being the clear cut #1 defense in the league. 7 wins from a cup last year. On our budget, with all those distractions. The D is upgraded, the kids have an extra year under their belt. Hope to hell we can replace Whitney in the aggregate, Smith stays good and we go at it again. Such is the life of a poor team.

You dumped a physical winger who only really hit his stride in the playoffs and a valuable depth Dman for the chance to have Ballard's contract, then flipped Rusty for the chance at 32 pts worth of Josh Bailey? Why **** around that much? They'd probably take Stone and/or a pick straight up if you want Bailey that bad. Maloney has uninstalled the revolving door leading into the locker room. That's a huge part of why the team has done so well. I just don't see the point. I guess it boils down to Bailey not being a significant upgrade, in my mind. Not at that cost.

like DA said, I'm sure Maloney has some magic trick that will blow our minds already planned out. I trust our GM, pretty much unconditionally. Not many teams can say that.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:42 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Calgary traded for Cammalleri and signed Hudler and Wideman, even if they maybe should be they aren't in a rebuild.

Now if they're out of it at the deadline and Iginla is frustrated, who knows. But at that point lots of teams would want him and it would be a bidding war. I'd also think he'd get a lot of input into where he went.
Trying to kill my dream? The scenario I'm hoping for, Iginla will want to play for Playfair and on the same team as Doan. Calgary accepts the assets and still try to re-sign Iginla during the summer.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
This team is not going to get by with a balanced roster. There simply isn't enough offensive talent to go around, sign or call up. You've got a defensive coach and a team built from the goal out. Messing around with that is asking for trouble. Josh Bailey hasn't cracked 40 pts in the NHL. He is not our savior, nor will he turn this team into an offensive juggernaut. Tippett's teams are all about being opportunists. Skill matters very little in those situations. We saw it last year.

Klesla likes it here, is on a good contract and was money in the playoffs. If you want to point at luxuries, how about the boob backup we have or DMo perennially sucking? With Z and Klesla, this team has a legitimate shot at being the clear cut #1 defense in the league. 7 wins from a cup last year. On our budget, with all those distractions. The D is upgraded, the kids have an extra year under their belt. Hope to hell we can replace Whitney in the aggregate, Smith stays good and we go at it again. Such is the life of a poor team.

You dumped a physical winger who only really hit his stride in the playoffs and a valuable depth Dman for the chance to have Ballard's contract, then flipped Rusty for the chance at 32 pts worth of Josh Bailey? Why **** around that much? They'd probably take Stone and/or a pick straight up if you want Bailey that bad. Maloney has uninstalled the revolving door leading into the locker room. That's a huge part of why the team has done so well. I just don't see the point. I guess it boils down to Bailey not being a significant upgrade, in my mind. Not at that cost.

like DA said, I'm sure Maloney has some magic trick that will blow our minds already planned out. I trust our GM, pretty much unconditionally. Not many teams can say that.
I can't argue with any of this. Again, try to forget Ballard and Bailey. Drop that from your mind.

In a less specific way, it might make sense to flip Klesla(perhaps with some picks/prospects) for some scoring help(preferably at center) and then make a move for a more traditional bottom pair/PK defenseman.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

As others have stated, I'm completely confident with GMDM. I can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve...

Old
01-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I find it hard to envision a scenario where I'd be happy with the trading of Rusty. He's a stud in Tippets system and I've been drooling over the idea of him and Z on the same team since that trade!!!

Old
01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
cobra427

I don't see the coyotes trading OEL, or Z since they just acquired him, period. Outside of that, I don't see our core guys, like Yandle or Klesla going in a trade unless we get a legitimate first line forward as part of the deal. Patrick Kane skill level as an example. Klesla had a great playoff so his trade value is pretty good at the moment.

If we trade for pieces to help the second and third forward lines, we have plenty of assets to offer on D like, DMO, Stone, Summers, or Schlemko, not counting guys without NHL experience. I think someone from this group is more likely to get moved in the next few weeks, for the right pieces but no block buster 1st line forwards.

All teams have high hopes right now, so offensive assets are over valued and GM's don't want to look foolish by trading talent today that could make them look bad in the next month, even if they think it is the right thing to do today. But, at the trade deadline, GMDM might strike a deal for the first line center/forward, on a poor performing club, that could be a difference maker and pay a reasonable price at that time, even if it is a rental. The price will be too high right now, IMHO....

Closed Thread