HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡° ᴥ͡°)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Torres and Schlemko to Vancouver for Ballard (Vancouver retains 1.25m)

Raffi makes about a million more than Volpatti who he'd replace. Schlemko makes about 3.5m less than Ballard. So, Vancouver is saves 1.25m in cap this season and 3m next. It might make more sense for Vancouver to amnesty Ballard next off season, but he's clearly a bad fit, and this way they get a nice replacement in Schlemko and a decent upgrade for their fourth line.
No thanks, Ballard will only be moved during this season to fill a need.
Torres isn't a 3rd line center, and we have plenty of bottom 6 wingers so we have no use for him.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-10-2013, 12:27 PM
jdfitz12

vCash: 500
David Krejci for Keith Yandle

Old
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfitz12 View Post
Don't you mean Patrice Bergeron?

Old
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:

In a less specific way, it might make sense to flip Klesla(perhaps with some picks/prospects) for some scoring help(preferably at center) and then make a move for a more traditional bottom pair/PK defenseman.
The Coyotes had the best 3rd period defense in the league last year. Fewer goals allowed than St Louis, the next best, despite the Coyotes giving up 39 more goals overall. This team is built for defense, built to hang with teams they have no business beating, built to hold onto leads they deserve to lose.

Klesla is a big part of that. He is Adrian Aucoin level sneaky good, just 1 off of the ODB's +/-. 2nd in hits behind OEL, though I'd imagine Rusty throws them a little harder than Harry Potter. Blocked shots? Lead the team by almost 60. He was also the #1 PKing Dman by over 20 minutes.

There's more to it then just liking him as a player. He's glue out there. I consider the Klesla for a bag of crap trade to be one of Maloney's best. They sure did their homework on him.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfitz12 View Post
I love David Krejčí and would love to add him. Not for Yandle. I see Yandle as a 50-60pt D and David Krejčí as a 55-65pt F. Obviously the former is much more valuable than the latter. Now, obviously I could be wrong. It could turn out Yandle is more like a 45-55pt D and David Krejčí is more like a 65-75pt F. In that case it leans a lot more toward the forward being more valuable than the D. Given what a great glue guy Yandle is, and the loyalty he's shown, I wouldn't go messing around with trading him for David Krejčí base on the hope that the forward eventually becomes more valuable than the D.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The Coyotes had the best 3rd period defense in the league last year. Fewer goals allowed than St Louis, the next best, despite the Coyotes giving up 39 more goals overall. This team is built for defense, built to hang with teams they have no business beating, built to hold onto leads they deserve to lose.

Klesla is a big part of that. He is Adrian Aucoin level sneaky good, just 1 off of the ODB's +/-. 2nd in hits behind OEL, though I'd imagine Rusty throws them a little harder than Harry Potter. Blocked shots? Lead the team by almost 60. He was also the #1 PKing Dman by over 20 minutes.

There's more to it then just liking him as a player. He's glue out there. I consider the Klesla for a bag of crap trade to be one of Maloney's best. They sure did their homework on him.
I'm sold.

Lombardi for a fourth and drop the damn puck.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:41 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I find it hard to envision a scenario where I'd be happy with the trading of Rusty. He's a stud in Tippets system and I've been drooling over the idea of him and Z on the same team since that trade!!!
Another way to look at trading Klesla is to ask yourself, Would the Coyotes have made that run last playoffs without him? IMO, he was the unsung hero during the playoffs...

lose 1 CZ d-man, gain another...

potentially best pk in the league.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:43 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
I'm sold.

Lombardi for a fourth and drop the damn puck.
I was shocked to find this out, but Klesla's shot blocking last year over 82 games (189) would have beat every single year Michalek had with the Coyotes. The two of them together are going to make Mike Smith look like a god.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:54 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
I was shocked to find this out, but Klesla's shot blocking last year over 82 games (189) would have beat every single year Michalek had with the Coyotes. The two of them together are going to make Mike Smith look like a god.
That's exactly why I was wondering if Kelsla might actually be better than Z at this point. Z is more mobile but other than that I think Rusty has the advantage.

RE: Ballard trade

I'm also not convinced Ballard is actually better than Schlemko if he's healthy. So I'm not sure why we would make that move.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Wile E Coyotes

Quote:
Imagine a penalty kill with Gordon, Michalek, Klesla. Smith has a cake job

Old
01-10-2013, 02:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyotes View Post
Don't forget Korpikoski.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyotes View Post
Expecting a lot of 5 on 3's? What about the shorthanded threat, Korpi?

Old
01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Klesla- Schlemko.

I like.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
ducky

too many minutes for Morris on the top 4

I wonder if Yandle and Michalek will be reunited?

OEL - Klesa
Yandle - Michalek
Schlemko - Morris/Stone

Old
01-10-2013, 03:23 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
too many minutes for Morris on the top 4

I wonder if Yandle and Michalek will be reunited?

OEL - Klesa
Yandle - Michalek
Schlemko - Morris/Stone
OEL, Yandle, Klesla and Z are getting minutes for sure this year. Below those 4, it will be based on the merit system and a battle for ice time. When Schlemko was healthy last year, he was better then Morris. I see Morris in a decline and being a healthy scratch more then Schlemko this year. Because of a short season, Tip will have to go with the guys he perceives as his best shot at winning every night versus any "show casing" that occurs during the longer season when your trying to move somebody.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I don't know about you guys, but I like Stone more than I like Schlemko, plus he's another right-handed shot.

OEL - Michalek
Yandle - Morris
Klesla - Stone
Schlemko

Old
01-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Ted Mosby

Is either of Gormley or Rundblad NHL ready? I wouldn't mind seeing one of those guys as the 6th D, rather than Schlemko.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Gwyddbwyll

From the AHL thread and game reports it doesnt sound like they're ready. They'd have to jump over three guys with NHL experience (Schlemko, Summers, Stone) and they havent really been outperforming them in the AHL. With the shorter season it seems unlikely to see much of them although there will be injuries and we know management really like both.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
XX
... Waiting

Tippett has already said camp will be basically the roster + 1 or 2 guys.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Tippett has already said camp will be basically the roster + 1 or 2 guys.
Probably Stone/Summers & Miele.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:12 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
I will agree. He's better than Ballard, no doubt. Klesla is looking at bottom pair 5on5 mins, 1st unit PK, and zilch on the pp. How many minutes a game is that? Is it worth it to downgrade those minutes in order to add some scoring in exchange?

Forget about my ridiculous scenario. I suspect Klesla has good trade value. On most teams he's a top four. I suspect there is a solid vet replacement who's less effective overall. A guy who is a true 5-6, PK type. I would guess a guy like that could be acquired for relatively little.

Of course it is a huge advantage to have an ace in the hole like Klesla. A guy who can fill in anywhere if need be. However, that seems a bit like a luxury given our need for scoring. If we can parlay what is ultimately more a luxury than anything else for some scoring depth and a competent replacement for the bottom pair, is that not worth looking at? Again, remove my silly proposals and just consider the overall idea.

Initially I scoffed, too, when Kaibur brought it up. It makes some sense to me, though, after some consideration.
Exactly. We may have Klesla's replacement already in Stone. And to be honest, Stone probably has a heavier shot, so if he needed to see any PP time due to injury, Stone would likely fill a spot before Rusty. (very unlikely, given who we have anyhow)

And the same scenario applies to how we picked up Klesla in the first place. Top 4 d-man out for a while, so we trade a bottom 6 d-man and scoring winger (remember Upshall had 18 goals for us when dealt) for him.

A 2-for-1 deal is the ideal scenario for us to improve the team, and maybe we could get a Nielsen/pick combo. Buffalo also has many UFA d-men after this year, and I think their depth is, meh. I wonder if Stafford would be available?

Last edited by BUX7PHX: 01-11-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old
01-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I think part of Bux's post was accidentally clipped...I've added the line he's missing for him:

Quote:
Oh and we should trade Yandle

Old
01-11-2013, 02:19 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
The chatter among general managers already has started, and Maloney figures deals could happen soon rather than teams waiting to see how they start.

“The good thing for us is they’re asking about our players and would you do this, would you look at that, would you think of this, and I’m like, ‘Absolutely, if that makes us better,’” Maloney said.
Article and video: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ns-return.html

http://www.azcentral.com/video/2086461847001

Old
01-11-2013, 04:23 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) has frequent conversations with Maloney. She says she expects a trade for offense rather than looking within our organization. Said Michalek and OEL are untouchables on defense, but suggests Yandle could yet again be in play, but only for a big offensive piece.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:19 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) has frequent conversations with Maloney. She says she expects a trade for offense rather than looking within our organization. Said Michalek and OEL are untouchables on defense, but suggests Yandle could yet again be in play, but only for a big offensive piece.
I'd be shocked if Yandle was not in play. D is at a premium right now and Maloney has a very good chip to play IF he gets the right offer.

Closed Thread