HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2012, 05:48 PM
  #251
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
You're assuming that being ready for the hit and bracing wouldn't have still resulted in an injury, possibly more tissue damage.

Also we know if it was the body contact or hitting the ice that caused the injury?
The body contact led to the hitting of the ice. That's a silly argument.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:49 PM
  #252
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
The body contact led to the hitting of the ice. That's a silly argument.
It's wasn't an argument, it was a question.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:50 PM
  #253
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Interference = kicked out of the tournament... check.
1) call was charging.
2) Sutton was suspended 8 games for a charging call in the NHL without injury
3) There was an injury
4) Jenner was a repeat offender.

There are reasons that the simplification that you gave does not fit the reality.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:50 PM
  #254
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
It's wasn't an argument, it was a question.
May I ask you the purpose of the question? I'm sure it wasn't just curiosity

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:53 PM
  #255
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
1) call was charging.
2) Sutton was suspended 8 games for a charging call in the NHL without injury
3) There was an injury
4) Jenner was a repeat offender.

There are reasons that the simplification that you gave does not fit the reality.

1) If it was a charge then timing is not the issue
2) Irrelevant
3) Bogus reasoning by governing bodies, but currently part of their reasoning
4) He shouldn't have gotten anything for what he did last year

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:53 PM
  #256
22Brad Park
Registered User
 
22Brad Park's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Interference = kicked out of the tournament... check.
Interference?? That was a late hit period that caused injury in my books,Just cause he never had his back to him does not mean its not a late hit,If it were just mere interference in the minds of ones penalizing him i am sure it be less then 3 game,The puck was long gone.He had to pull up there and wait for another chance, .Just my take on it,

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:54 PM
  #257
FinRuutu
Red Wins
 
FinRuutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,421
vCash: 50
I just hope that CAN wins every game that Jenner is off the roster or we here a lot of "we didn't have Jenner, IIHF is a joke".

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:55 PM
  #258
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
1) If it was a charge then timing is not the issue
2) Irrelevant
3) Bogus reasoning by governing bodies, but currently part of their reasoning
4) He shouldn't have gotten anything for what he did last year
1) Read the rule book. People are arguing about timing. Really it should be distance travelled.
2) Completely relevant. People are blaming the IIHF saying their punishment is overly harsh. The NHL is equally as harsh. Furthermore, 8 games would be the duration of the tournament.
3) Bogus reasoning or not, that's the rules
4) Your opinion, and either way, irrelevant, because he did, and that becomes a factor.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:55 PM
  #259
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
I just hope that CAN wins every game that Jenner is off the roster or we here a lot of "we didn't have Jenner, IIHF is a joke".
Not really worried about that.

This is less about Jenner and more about the IIHF.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:56 PM
  #260
22Brad Park
Registered User
 
22Brad Park's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
1) Read the rule book. People are arguing about timing. Really it should be distance travelled.
2) Completely relevant. People are blaming the IIHF saying their punishment is overly harsh. The NHL is equally as harsh. Furthermore, 8 games would be the duration of the tournament.
3) Reasoning of not, that's the rules
4) Your opinion, and either way, irrelevant, because he did, and that becomes a factor.
I watched the replay and the puck was way over on otehr side the ice when he got smoked,Not even close to good hit.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:58 PM
  #261
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
1) Read the rule book. People are arguing about timing. Really it should be distance travelled.
2) Completely relevant. People are blaming the IIHF saying their punishment is overly harsh. The NHL is equally as harsh. Furthermore, 8 games would be the duration of the tournament.
3) Reasoning of not, that's the rules
4) Your opinion, and either way, irrelevant, because he did, and that becomes a factor.
1) I know what the rules say. I also know the reasoning being given
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIHF
"The video material indicated that the hit was late and delivered with no intention to play the puck and with Pettersson being in a vulnerable position," the IIHF said in a statement Monday. "It was Jenner's intention to deliver the forceful check in spite of having the opportunity to at least make an attempt to avoid contact on Pettersson.

"The hit was delivered far too late. This resulted in an injury to Sweden's Pettersson and for this Jenner is to be held accountable."
Nothing was said about distance, only time.
2) 82 games vs 7 games
3) Yes, I and many others disagree
4) Only a factor because IIHF botched another call

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:59 PM
  #262
22Brad Park
Registered User
 
22Brad Park's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,421
vCash: 500
And the announcers saying during game it would not hurt Canada cause they have 2 easy games ,,,they jinxed the kid,

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:00 PM
  #263
22Brad Park
Registered User
 
22Brad Park's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
1) I know what the rules say. I also know the reasoning being given Nothing was said about distance, only time.
2) 82 games vs 7 games
3) Yes, I and many others disagree
4) Only a factor because IIHF botched another call
I think the bottom part by IIHF hit the nail dead on,I agree 10000000% with that.Least thats what i saw as well.2 time offender now too,He lucky he still allowed to play .

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:00 PM
  #264
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,097
vCash: 500
I have read through thread and find it hard to believe people are trying to defend the hit as not late. The puck was long gone and the hit was late. I figured 2-3 games would be handed down and that's what happened.

I too am a fan of Jenners because he will eventually play for the Jackets. I like his game and wouldn't have him do anything different. Some players play on the edge and will pay the piper for it. He may or may not have hurt his team, we will have to see how the tourney plays out.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
  #265
Valarukar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 586
vCash: 500
Think it's about right as far as the length of the suspension and deserved. Maybe some of you people need to think about this in a different context? Say that was your number 1 D-man of your favorite NHL team. I'm guessing people would be calling bloody murder. That probably won't be enough to get through to some of you . . . so lets say that's your child . . . if your still ok with the hit then well maybe you need to take a look at yourself in the mirror and get some priorities straight. This kind of play is not needed in hockey period.

Valarukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
  #266
phillipsj89
Registered User
 
phillipsj89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Is this a joke? You seriously think that people should always be expecting to get hit?
i did, when i played competitive hockey. i mean, why wouldnt u expect to get hit when u have jusg released the puck.

phillipsj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:02 PM
  #267
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
I watched the replay and the puck was way over on otehr side the ice when he got smoked,Not even close to good hit.
How far away the puck was from his pass means nothing, I can make a puck travel end to end in Less than 2 seconds. It was <60 feet from him when the hit was made.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:03 PM
  #268
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
1) I know what the rules say. I also know the reasoning being given

Nothing was said about distance, only time.
2) 82 games vs 7 games
3) Yes, I and many others disagree
4) Only a factor because IIHF botched another call
1) Time and distance are inextricably linked:
How far is it from here to the post office? About five minutes.
For more:
2) Fair enough, then make that your argument, not that the number of games is too many, rather the proportion. Although there were three instances of suspensions resulting from charging in the playoffs leading to suspensions of 1, 3, and 25 games.
3) You may disagree. Hell, I disagree. That doesn't mean I disagree with the suspension as the rules are written.
4) In your opinion. I think that it was a spear and the right call. Either way, just because it may have been a mistake doesn't change the fact that it affects this decision.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
  #269
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
I have read through thread and find it hard to believe people are trying to defend the hit as not late.
Please point out these posts.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
  #270
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 50
3 Games is too many. Kid should've kept his head up.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
  #271
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsj89 View Post
i did, when i played competitive hockey. i mean, why wouldnt u expect to get hit when u have jusg released the puck.
Maybe he did when he just released the puck, not a full second after. You shouldn't be assumed to expect an illegal hit.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:06 PM
  #272
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
1) Time and distance are inextricably linked:
How far is it from here to the post office? About five minutes.
For more:
2) Fair enough, then make that your argument, not that the number of games is too many, rather the proportion. Although there were three instances of suspensions resulting from charging in the playoffs leading to suspensions of 1, 3, and 25 games.
3) You may disagree. Hell, I disagree. That doesn't mean I disagree with the suspension as the rules are written.
4) In your opinion. I think that it was a spear and the right call. Either way, just because it may have been a mistake doesn't change the fact that it affects this decision.
1) You said it is distance not time, now you are saying it's the same. Please make up your mind
2) Sorry that wasn't clear. I mean I do not think he should get any, but if the IIHF is going to be the IIHF, 3 is far to many
3) I disagree with the rules, I figured that was clear
4) See #3

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:07 PM
  #273
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarukar View Post
Think it's about right as far as the length of the suspension and deserved. Maybe some of you people need to think about this in a different context? Say that was your number 1 D-man of your favorite NHL team. I'm guessing people would be calling bloody murder. That probably won't be enough to get through to some of you . . . so lets say that's your child . . . if your still ok with the hit then well maybe you need to take a look at yourself in the mirror and get some priorities straight. This kind of play is not needed in hockey period.
Sorry but you cannot bring emotion into this and say there is no bias.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:08 PM
  #274
phillipsj89
Registered User
 
phillipsj89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Maybe he did when he just released the puck, not a full second after. You shouldn't be assumed to expect an illegal hit.
hahahaha! get real kid. play some high level hockey in north america and tell me u feel safe after just 1 second.

phillipsj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:17 PM
  #275
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
1) You said it is distance not time, now you are saying it's the same. Please make up your mind
2) Sorry that wasn't clear. I mean I do not think he should get any, but if the IIHF is going to be the IIHF, 3 is far to many
3) I disagree with the rules, I figured that was clear
4) See #3
1) I said they are inextricably linked, and one doesn't necessarily negate the other. Just because they used the word time, doesn't mean that distance isn't a factor, or what's written in the rule book.
2) How many do you think he should have gotten?
3,4) If you disagree with the rules, then you should agree with the suspension still as it makes sense within the rules. So your 2 and 3/4 disagree.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.