HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422)

Old
12-25-2012, 02:29 AM
romao

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
I can get the puck from one end of the ice to the other in less than a second. So don't use puck position as an argument, it doesn't help your case.
Do you realize that hockey rink length is 200 feet?
If puck covers this distance in less than a second its speed should be more than 200 kmh or 135 mph. What are you, Zdeno Chara or something?

romao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 02:38 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Initial thought:
I find this hilarious. Jenner can never seem to play in one of these games, poor guy

Damn.

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 02:40 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:
I can get the puck from one end of the ice to the other in less than a second. So don't use puck position as an argument, it doesn't help your case.
You got quite the clapper.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 03:10 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depch View Post
If you ask me if the hit was clean outside of it being late, yes the initial check/impact was clean. But under IIHF rules regarding injuries I guess I would still be obligated to call it. If it was about NHL then no.
I too think the officials would have called something regardless, but I would hope that there would be no additional suspension if it wasn't late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depch View Post
Personally I do like Jenner and his physical edge, but there is a problem if a player causes someone to leave the tournament and it's happened twice now and add to that the spearing some precautions are good to be made. Maybe it's bad luck, maybe it's just that he does not care. He did say about his spearing case that "If I could go back, I'd like to have that back, but those things happen," "It was just the heat of the battle, I guess." if these checks are part of the heat of the battle as well and they cause injuries then I have no problem with the IIHF making an example that one should take in to consideration if the opposing player is on a weak position (now obviously this has to work 2 ways, players need to be alert as well, but this relies mostly on the guy who checks). I especially would take heavy emphasis on this stuff in the juniors as lost time due injury is very crucial for development and can cause major setbacks for players.
I don't have an issue with someone causing injury if it is done via hard, legal checking. The game is physical and contact is permitted. Suspending someone simply because they are good at it doesn't warrant punishment for me. The Maatta hit was legal, so to me, it is not precedent setting in this supplemental discipline.

The spearing incident, even though a different type of infraction, does cause this punishment to be increased. I thought that spear was a boneheaded move, but it wasn't vicious. Still very deserving of the one game he got. There are some things you just don't do as a player. Hitting late is also dirty, no matter how people may argue over .4-1 second, it was clearly very late. Blue line to goal line is a long distance. There was no reason to follow through with that hit. Both suspensions actually bring in question respect of your opponents in the game.

Now this may be a Canadian mentality, but there is a saying that goes, "if you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough". That sounds bad, but what it speaks to is that in competitive sports, you should push the boundaries to your advantage as much as possible. Simply put, if you can gain an edge and don't attempt to exploit it, you are doing yourself a disservice. This is why you always see the standard of officiating grow increasingly tolerant in the Stanley Cup playoffs as the teams go deeper. Those teams just keep pushing and pushing the physicality and obstruction until the standard of officiating is much less in the finals. I'm really not a fan of this whatsoever, but it is what it is.

Personally, I prefer how international referees will attempt to call a penalty to the same standard no matter the timing in the game. That's how it should be. It's a concept many NHL fans do not accept, or they will accept it at first, but complain vigorously if their team gets called for an infraction in the final minutes of a game. Don Cherry is one of the biggest dinosaurs that clings to players policing themselves in playoffs and overtimes. He complains vehemently if the "officials" decide the game. It is such a stupid thing to say because it is the player that does something illegal that decides it. All any player ultimately wants from officiating is consistency and when North Americans complain about international officiating, I laugh because the NHL is the worst when it comes to this. A game's rules should never be situational to the time in the game or current score. Anyways, I've gone off topic a bit here.

One other thing you touched on here is responsibility of the person being hit. While I think a certain amount of awareness should be in place, no one expects to be hit that late. Even if his head is up, he should have no reason to expect to be hit when he doesn't have the puck. To say otherwise is not reasonable at all.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 03:54 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
So what it comes down to is less than .5 seconds = 3 games missed.

That math doesn't really add up for me.
pretty sure it was 1 second

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:31 AM
Tomas W

I would be totaly ok with say, just one game suspension, apart for the fact the hit was a little late it was pretty clean.

Still, it's unnecessary play that tough in a warm up game. Save your hard game for the medal rounds Canada.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:40 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
pretty sure it was 1 second
What is .5 of a second? Really. Even if it was obviously a late hit, isn't it more important to be aware of your surroundings, than to admire a pass? It didn't look malicious, or an intent to injure, just a tad late.

Maybe its an IIHF thing, but I know one thing for certain, next time Petterson isn't going to get lit up after the pass.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
What is .5 of a second? Really. Even if it was obviously a late hit, isn't it more important to be aware of your surroundings, than to admire a pass? It didn't look malicious, or an intent to injure, just a tad late.

Maybe its an IIHF thing, but I know one thing for certain, next time Petterson isn't going to get lit up after the pass.
He'll probably learn to lift his stick in front of him after a pass.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:52 AM
LOFIN

Quote:

Maybe Petterson should've been more aware of his surroundings, but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't required to be according to the rules. Maybe the pedestrian crossing the road on a green light could have avoided getting hit by a car, had he not concentrated on his phone, but that doesn't change the fact that driving past red light is illegal, and the driver is responsible for the accident, not the pedestrian.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 06:08 AM
fredligh

It was a exhibition game, you are not suppose to go for dirty hits. If you have a chance to finish your check but you know it could be late, you dont go for it. In a competition game you might wanna gamble but in a exhibition game its just no.

And lol at all those "half a second late, 3 games, **** iihf"

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Nacho
Special

so let me get this straight... he basically toke out one of the Swedish roster players, yet he is still aloud to play in the tourney...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 06:37 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
So what it comes down to is less than .5 seconds = 3 games missed.

That math doesn't really add up for me.
So the Torres hit on Hossa should not have been penalised because it was an a few inches too high?

A guy that run a red light and hits a pedestrian should be let off because he was only half a second or so late on otherwise legal driving.

In this case the whole .4 second overlooks he he another .5 seconds before that.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 06:41 AM
The Sweetness

Some amusing arguments in this thread. I'd like to see a boxer land a punch after the bell injuring his opponent and claim, "come on, it was a clean punch other than being late."

Stop defending dirty hits if you hope to be treated seriously.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 06:43 AM
octopi

I think the IIHF wanted to send a message and they were right to do so, Everyone else is going to think twice now:

-People can get hurt.Be careful. You make an illegal play and hurt someone? You will pay for it.

Obviously this wasn't what Jenner intended but similar to the NHL the results of the hit are what caused the suspension.If the other guy wasn't injured, it's probably no more than a penalty in that game. However, the kid was taken off on a stretcher and injured enough he won't be playing the rest of the tournament. Jenner will come back in the tournament. It's over for the guy he hit.

The video is watched on this hit shows him finishing it questionably high. Also, remember this is the same player who was suspended a game last year for spearing. Yes, it was a weak spear, no, noone was hurt, and just it was provoked, but spearing should never be done under any circumstances, ever. Shove a guy with your arms first.

Last edited by octopi: 12-25-2012 at 06:54 AM.
octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:08 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:

a lot

although the game is fast, these players think at an extremely high level and react accordingly.

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:24 AM
shotandagoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I think the IIHF wanted to send a message and they were right to do so, Everyone else is going to think twice now:

-People can get hurt.Be careful. You make an illegal play and hurt someone? You will pay for it.

Obviously this wasn't what Jenner intended but similar to the NHL the results of the hit are what caused the suspension.If the other guy wasn't injured, it's probably no more than a penalty in that game. However, the kid was taken off on a stretcher and injured enough he won't be playing the rest of the tournament. Jenner will come back in the tournament. It's over for the guy he hit.

The video is watched on this hit shows him finishing it questionably high. Also, remember this is the same player who was suspended a game last year for spearing. Yes, it was a weak spear, no, noone was hurt, and just it was provoked, but spearing should never be done under any circumstances, ever. Shove a guy with your arms first.

I don't think they sent a message. I don't think Jenner should be playing in the tourney. If they wanted to send a message they could have handed out the same punishment they handed Noesen for same penalty (major charging with injury). USA appealed the Noesen case and they upheld the 7 games he had remaining on his suspension. Also, Jenner is a repeat offender, Noesen is not. Canada gets its player back, US loses a top 6 player. Jenner is lucky he only got the 3.

shotandagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Robin Hood

Quote:
Not really worried about that.

This is less about Jenner and more about the IIHF.
Nonsense. If a Canadian player had received that hit you'd all have the opposite opinion. That's what takes your position from rediculous to pathedic.

To be disgussing whether this hit is late or dirty is rediculous. To be arguing that a World class skater is not able to change direction 10 degress or assess the time gap from release to hit properly? You're joking. Jenner had every change of avoiding this hit if he wanted to and he knew perfectly well what he was doing. Perhaps this isn't an attempt to injure but he knew perfectly well that the hit was illegal and that Petterson was extremely vulnerable and subject for an injury.

Teams using exhibition matches to run around throwing late hits with big risks of injury at opponents of the real tournament, with otherwise only the risk of a two-minute suspension for yourself, warrants these suspentions. There's a reason these hits are made and it is not to get the puck. Some are arguing that the only reason for the suspention was that he got injured. Well, when you make this kind of hit there's an increased risk of an injury because the receiving player does not, CANNOT expect hits from all angles at all times. There are rules for this and the receiving players cannot expect that opponents break them. Ideally the integritty, gentlemanship and mutual respect would keep this disgusting behavior out of hockey. Unfortunately not all commit to the unwritten rules and for those we have the options of suspentions. To argue that Petterson had fault in this is laughable. When you run a red light and hit a pedestrian crossing the road, the pedestrian does not have part of the blame because he "wasn't aware".

Finally, some argue that taking this out of hockey would turn it into figure skating. No, HAVING this in hockey will turn it into figure skating. If players cannot focus on playing the "pass puck, score goals hockey" because any game is fair game and dirty hits from all angles at all times can be expected then they quickly stop focusing on playing hockey and instead focus on avoiding contact. Not suspending this would quickly take the physicality and contact out of hockey.

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Sher-Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Here is Hockey Canada's own interference explanation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq8qEq7_9rM

The player finishing the check must be within an arm length, + stick length distance while the player being checked has control of the puck.

How many stick lengths is this?

That is a lot of stick lengths that's for sure.

As someone said before on this exact subject: "No one has the spatial awareness to read that kind of lateness. Nor should one."

Sher-Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:28 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
Maybe Petterson should've been more aware of his surroundings, but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't required to be according to the rules. Maybe the pedestrian crossing the road on a green light could have avoided getting hit by a car, had he not concentrated on his phone, but that doesn't change the fact that driving past red light is illegal, and the driver is responsible for the accident, not the pedestrian.
If the pedestrian is seriously injured, claiming who is right and who is wrong is the last of their concern. If you really think being right is more important than being healthy, I don't know what to tell you.

If a car comes at you in the wrong lane and you wait for the car to move because of the right thing, you're a damn fool. When crossing the street, I look six ways.

Petterson is in the right, but seriously hurt. While Jenner will miss a couple of overseas games, and be healthy. Who do you think wins?

Old
12-25-2012, 07:30 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
a lot

although the game is fast, these players think at an extremely high level and react accordingly.
No... its not. I don't think you truly understand exactly how fast this game is with a comment like that.

Old
12-25-2012, 07:32 AM
shotandagoal

Quote:
If the pedestrian is seriously injured, claiming who is right and who is wrong is the last of their concern. If you really think being right is more important than being healthy, I don't know what to tell you.

If a car comes at you in the wrong lane and you wait for the car to move because of the right thing, you're a damn fool. When crossing the street, I look six ways.

Petterson is in the right, but seriously hurt. While Jenner will miss a couple of overseas games, and be healthy. Who do you think wins?
wow! condoning illegal hockey and blaming the victim in the name of winning is seriously misguided

shotandagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Gotaf7

vCash: 50
Send him home he is a selfish player. The coach and Hockey Canada need to step up and let these guys know that not one player is above the team, if they don't get them playing as a team, nothing but embarassment is to come.

Gotaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:38 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotandagoal View Post
wow! condoning illegal hockey and blaming the victim in the name of winning is seriously misguided
Congratulations on completely missing the point.

Old
12-25-2012, 07:41 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher-Wood View Post
That is a lot of stick lengths that's for sure.

As someone said before on this exact subject: "No one has the spatial awareness to read that kind of lateness. Nor should one."
If I'm not mistaken at that moment he still has the puck and is about to dish it off, and you'll notice the next few miliseconds, he is looking the opposite direction of player approaching him while he is obviously skating his direction.

Late hit is illegal, but you gotta protect yourself.

Old
12-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by yapperface View Post
This is laughable. Cherry's right, nobody keeps their head up anymore. The onus is on Pettersson here. 3 games is ridiculous but at least he's back versus Russia.
I agree 100 percent with this post. Petterson should have had his head up. Their was nothing wrong with the hit except being a tad late.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote