HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422)

Old
12-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
...what is Jenner trying to do with his hit? What is his intent?
"I want to give him the heat and announce my presence with authority!"

Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Hitting someone without the puck is intending to injure someone. If he has the puck you can make the argument that he is attempting to separate the man from the puck. In this case, what is Jenner trying to do with his hit? What is his intent?
Puck = no intent to injure.. gotcha

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Puck = no intent to injure.. gotcha
That is not at all what he said.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
He was up when he speared the Kuznetsov. And you have no idea what was said. You spear people when you're emotionally charged and angry. Actually, I would never spear somebody regardless of what was said, but that's just me
Have you watched the video and seen how little of a tap it was?

Glad people are vilifying Jenner.

Old
Shaun Bisson

vCash: 500
I know it's been said before but the fact of the matter still exists that had the Swede not been injured we wouldn't be talking about this hit.

The IIHF is especially bad at suspending people because of injuries. I don't think an injury should be a factor in a suspension. Say a player gets ran into the boards from behind but doesn't get hurt. Does the fact that the player wasn't injured make the hit any less illegal? That's a resounding NO.

A charge is not worth a 3 game suspension. It is worth a 5 minute major. Unfortunately the precedence has been set, and these types of rulings will continue to happen.

Shaun Bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
moko00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
A penalty is a penalty, but supplementary discipline takes into account things like intent and injury to a player. Seriously, did you not watch any of Shanny's videos last year?
Serioulsy did you even read my original post. I said this trip resulted in the same injury a dislocated shoulder and a broken wrist.

moko00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
the .4 second that the hit was late didn't change the injury, just everyone's perception.

People are acting like Jenner ran across the ice and blindsided a guy who was 100 feet from the play.
Take a look at the replay, if Petterson's team mate had caught the pass, the hit would have been even more late since the puck would have in another player's possession.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
That is not at all what he said.
No he said hitting someone without the puck shows intent to injure. What would the adverse of that be?

Old
kdb527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
The amount of time given has changed and is too narrow a margin. The emphasis shouldn't be on avoidance so you don't hurt people. The emphasis should be on avoidance so you aren't out of position.

Further, the IIHF and NHL using player injury as a factor in discipline is absolutely ludicrous. Player injury is a very poor indicator of how illegal a hit was (or if it was even illegal to begin with). I don't like Shanahan's bans and haven't since he started. He should not try to guess a player's intent, he should only go by what physically transpired in the penalty.
Add the OHL and CHL to the list of using injury as part of their discipline action.

kdb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
You must think very higly of a players decision making in a time of less than 2 seconds
Two seconds is about the time in flight from the blue line to the end line. Yes, absolutely, I do expect players to be able to assess and decide in that amount of space.

Players who can't, don't get to this level.

Old
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
I know it's been said before but the fact of the matter still exists that had the Swede not been injured we wouldn't be talking about this hit.

The IIHF is especially bad at suspending people because of injuries. I don't think an injury should be a factor in a suspension. Say a player gets ran into the boards from behind but doesn't get hurt. Does the fact that the player wasn't injured make the hit any less illegal? That's a resounding NO.

A charge is not worth a 3 game suspension. It is worth a 5 minute major. Unfortunately the precedence has been set, and these types of rulings will continue to happen.
This articulates better what I've been trying to say. Sorry if I have muddled the conversation.

An injury does not provide a good indicator of severity of a hit or how illegal it was. I'll happily add the CHL to the list of NHL and IIHF. Still doesn't mean factoring in injury is any less ludicrous.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Take a look at the replay, if Petterson's team mate had caught the pass, the hit would have been even more late since the puck would have in another player's possession.
[IMG][/IMG]

Picture of the moment when Jenner hits Petersson and the location of the puck.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
No he said hitting someone without the puck shows intent to injure. What would the adverse of that be?
The flip of that argument is that hitting someone while they have the puck may or may not come with intent to injure.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Someone else receiving a pass has nothing to do with how late a hit is. Someone could be 5 or 50 feet away. Who has the puck has nothing to do with it, time from release does.

Also not a single person has said it wasn't late. no one has said it was legal, merely that the punishment is too much.

Old
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Have you watched the video and seen how little of a tap it was?

Glad people are vilifying Jenner.
I did watch the video, and I couldn't tell how bad it was, because I wasn't speared. But I could tell you that he speared Kuznetsov in the midsection pretty hard in my opinion. It was from a great distance, but it was two handed and quick, which adds to the severity.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WarriorofTime

Canada training the next generation of cheap shotters and goons who are taught from age 8 how to best injure the other team. What else is new in hockey.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Someone else receiving a pass has nothing to do with how late a hit is. Someone could be 5 or 50 feet away. Who has the puck has nothing to do with it, time from release does.

Also not a single person has said it wasn't late. no one has said it was legal, merely that the punishment is too much.
And wrong. I welcome you to read the IIHF rulebook and show me where this mythical .5 seconds comes from.
http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u..._September.pdf

Old
12-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post

I think it's likely he would have been suspended, but probably only for a game.

I disagree with it significantly as I think all illegal and potentially injurious hits should be punished severely, especially when no injury occurs as it can help prevent unnecessary ones in the future.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:36 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
You're accepting that the adverse must be true. That is logically incorrect.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I bet he can as can most player playing at this league. The problem is that the IIHF thinks he made the wrong decision to finish his check. If I were his coach Spott, I would have patted him on the back and spoke highly of his grit and willingness to play physically. If the IIHF then went after him, I'd have said that I told him to play more physically and set the tone for the team.

Give him a charging or interference penalty. Maybe give him a major and have some Swedish player fight him or go after him. But IMO that should have been it.
I sometimes think the term "finish your check" is used incorrectly so often. Finish your check, as taught to me by any coach I ever had wasn't, "Hit the guy late even if he doesn't have the puck." It was more of an instruction AFTER contact on a legal check to follow through on the hit. Maybe I was taught wrong.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
The flip of that argument is that hitting someone while they have the puck may or may not come with intent to injure.
So having the puck = may or may not show intent to injure, Not having it = intent to injure

Sorry but there is a time period without the puck that you are fair game, this was out of that time period, and he should have got 5 and a game based on IIHF rules. But merely by making a late hit does not show someone is out to injure another person. Knowing how Jenner plays it would be more to make the kid worry next time he touches the puck, and maybe make a mistake, know you like how hockey is played by nearly every physical player.

Old
Declassified
Valkyrie Pedalworks

vCash: 145
That's a complete joke of a ruling, if the Swedish kid wasn't admiring his pass, he doesn't get hit the way he did because he'd see it coming and would have braced himself, there needs to be some personally accountability on the side of the players being hit as well. but can't say I expect anything different out of the iihf.

that being said, boone jenner isn't much of a boon to the Canadians and this might actually help them out more in a tournament were phantom calls will be made for playing the game the way Canadians play, no room for playing on the edge in iihf tournaments

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:38 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by moko00 View Post
Serioulsy did you even read my original post. I said this trip resulted in the same injury a dislocated shoulder and a broken wrist.
Tripping someone with the puck may not be showing intent to injure. Now, if you intentionally hack at his feet, then sure. I'd be fine with a suspension there.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
And wrong. I welcome you to read the IIHF rulebook and show me where this mythical .5 seconds comes from.
http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u..._September.pdf
Oh I know .5 isn't in the rule book, it is just the generally used time period of a legal hit.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:39 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
That's a complete joke of a ruling, if the Swedish kid wasn't admiring his pass, he doesn't get hit the way he did because he'd see it coming and would have braced himself, there needs to be some personally accountability on the side of the players being hit as well. but can't say I expect anything different out of the iihf.

that being said, boone jenner isn't much of a boon to the Canadians and this might actually help them out more in a tournament were phantom calls will be made for playing the game the way Canadians play, no room for playing on the edge in iihf tournaments
Of course, if Jenner hadn't hit the Swedish player a second after he released the pass, then it wouldn't have mattered what the Swede was doing. But you're completely right. Nearly a full second after passing the puck, the Swede should have known Jenner was coming!