HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422)

Old
12-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
So having the puck = may or may not show intent to injure, Not having it = intent to injure

Sorry but there is a time period without the puck that you are fair game, this was out of that time period, and he should have got 5 and a game based on IIHF rules. But merely by making a late hit does not show someone is out to injure another person. Knowing how Jenner plays it would be more to make the kid worry next time he touches the puck, and maybe make a mistake, know you like how hockey is played by nearly every physical player.
And frankly if I were on the other team I would be desperately want to get rid of the puck because I wouldn't want to get freight trained by a guy like Jenner. However once I got rid of it, I shouldn't have to look over my shoulder for the rest of the game to make sure he wasn't going to hit me.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moko00 View Post
Serioulsy did you even read my original post. I said this trip resulted in the same injury a dislocated shoulder and a broken wrist.
Yes but you didn't say whether the trip was intentional, was in context to a previous play (as was the case with the Marchand suspension for his low hit on Salo). You've simply gotten it into your head that people are saying INJURY EQUALS SUSPENSION!!!!!! Nobody is saying that. They are saying it is one factor to consider. Your hypothetical didn't give the context of the other factors and thus was pointless.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
You're accepting that the adverse must be true. That is logically incorrect.
"Affirming the consequent".

Logic 101.

Old
Xokkeu

Quote:
Oh I know .5 isn't in the rule book, it is just the generally used time period of a legal hit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq8qEq7_9rM

Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Picture of the moment when Jenner hits Petersson and the location of the puck.
I can get the puck from one end of the ice to the other in less than a second. So don't use puck position as an argument, it doesn't help your case.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DeKeyser Soze

Quote:
OH yes, people spear others for asking if they are ok. Also he was laying face down on the ice after a hit to the head, its pretty safe to say theat everyone thought he was injured, whether he was or not.

Stop reaching, it's doing you no good.
Reaching? Just wondering how you can be so sure. You know with the language barrier, adrenaline etc. Kuznetsovs body language doesn't really suggest he's chirping him either.

This happened after he got up and he doesn't look injured to me.

DeKeyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
luongo321

vCash: 50
Good. He deserves it.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Oh I know .5 isn't in the rule book, it is just the generally used time period of a legal hit.
So then you have no problem saying that it doesn't matter if .5 seconds is your frame of reference and that the timing of whether or not a hit was late is in the sole discretion of the referee, and if the hit is labeled for supplemental discipline, then the discretion continues to whoever doles out punishment? And you'll also agree that arguing about this .5 seconds of time is idiotic, because it has literally no meaning?

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I can get the puck from one end of the ice to the other in less than a second. So don't use puck position as an argument, it doesn't help your case.
Every other player on the ice has had time to turn and focus on the puck. All except one.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
And frankly if I were on the other team I would be desperately want to get rid of the puck because I wouldn't want to get freight trained by a guy like Jenner. However once I got rid of it, I shouldn't have to look over my shoulder for the rest of the game to make sure he wasn't going to hit me.
Why not? Part of Jenners job is to make people look over their shoulder and worry. He is tasked with getting people off their games. Similar to sending the first shot of the game hard and head high on a goalie. Might make him second guess the next shot.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Every other player on the ice has had time to turn and focus on the puck. All except one.
Yes he had time and he didn't, so he gets a 2 minute interference penalty. Then the kid got hurt, so he got 5 and a game. Where have I said otherwise?

Old
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
That's a complete joke of a ruling, if the Swedish kid wasn't admiring his pass, he doesn't get hit the way he did because he'd see it coming and would have braced himself, there needs to be some personally accountability on the side of the players being hit as well. but can't say I expect anything different out of the iihf.

that being said, boone jenner isn't much of a boon to the Canadians and this might actually help them out more in a tournament were phantom calls will be made for playing the game the way Canadians play, no room for playing on the edge in iihf tournaments
He was admiring a pass, yes. Was he hit late at a time that he shouldn't have been? Yes. Why is the onus on the player who got hit if the original hit was dangerous and late in the first place? It's ridiculous to say that it's the injured players fault for not being aware. Jenner should have been aware and let up instead of running over a player when he was nowhere near the puck. Jenner was head hunting, plain and simple.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Sigh.

It really does look worse than it is. I'm probably one of the few who actually saw it in front of me and with my own eyes. It wasn't malicious. Yes, it was late, but it wasn't the only late hit in that game. Only reason he was given a 5 minute penalty was due to the injury. Plus the misconduct was never called on interference, which it should've been. It was for charging, which, unless I missed something, there never was. In fact, he was gliding almost from the blue line to the point of impact.

It should've been a two minute interference minor, nothing more. Of course Swedes are here crying that he shouldn't be playing at all, which is ridiculous. If you want that, go watch figure skating. Hockey's a contact sport, and hitting and physical play is (as it has always been) a big part of the game.

And yes, he was "admiring his pass". If he no longer has the puck, there is no longer a reason to have his head down, is there? He should've focused more on his surroundings.

Puhis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Why not? Part of Jenners job is to make people look over their shoulder and worry. He is tasked with getting people off their games. Similar to sending the first shot of the game hard and head high on a goalie. Might make him second guess the next shot.
Uhhh because the rules are you are not allowed to hit people who have not touched the puck. I should not have to worry about a player leveling me when I am on the ice and don't have the puck. It's a basic rule of hockey, like don't tackle a guy in football who doesn't have the ball.

Old
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Sending a shot at a goalie is legal. So is a hard hit that isn't late, to the head, etc. Hitting someone a second after they released the puck is illegal.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
So then you have no problem saying that it doesn't matter if .5 seconds is your frame of reference and that the timing of whether or not a hit was late is in the sole discretion of the referee, and if the hit is labeled for supplemental discipline, then the discretion continues to whoever doles out punishment? And you'll also agree that arguing about this .5 seconds of time is idiotic, because it has literally no meaning?
Yes, 100%. But that does not mean they made the right decision on the supplemental.

.3, .8 or 1.2 if the kid wasn't hurt, Jenner gets nothing more than 2 minutes for a big hit.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
A reckless late hit in an exhibition game? Where in history some Canadian orcs have tried to "set an example" before in practice games? Pettersson's tournament is over and more than that. People calling 3 games a joke, is the joke. The suspension was more than justified.

"... An injury is a huge deal to IIHF..."
It's the same in NHL, don't try to play martyrs.
this.
Suspension is more than fair, its a joke that some people believe its too excessive

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Xokkeu

Quote:
Yes he had time and he didn't, so he gets a 2 minute interference penalty. Then the kid got hurt, so he got 5 and a game. Where have I said otherwise?
You have consistently defended the hit as not late and not illegal.

Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Sending a shot at a goalie is legal. So is a hard hit that isn't late, to the head, etc. Hitting someone a second after they released the puck is illegal.
Where have I said what Jenner did was legal?

Old
12-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
You have consistently defended the hit as not late and not illegal.
Not even once.

Old
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Two seconds is about the time in flight from the blue line to the end line. Yes, absolutely, I do expect players to be able to assess and decide in that amount of space.

Players who can't, don't get to this level.
I'm sorry but "Finish your checks" is a prime staple in Canadian hockey. People might get tired of hearing it said, but whenever I see interviews about the hit, those words are basically the words that are said. Ignoring it or saying those words are stupid will not change the fact that when playing contact hockey, that is what you are taught to do.

It's like driving and approaching a yellow light turning red, there is a point where you have to be committed to drive through. Some times it's not the right decisions and sometimes there may be consequences, but it is a decision you have to make in a split second and you have to be committed to it and face the consequences as it comes. It's as simple as that.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dangles78

Quote:
OH yes, people spear others for asking if they are ok. Also he was laying face down on the ice after a hit to the head, its pretty safe to say theat everyone thought he was injured, whether he was or not.

Stop reaching, it's doing you no good.
You're implying just as much as the person you replied to. Jenner was obviously heated and let his emotions take over in that situation.

It's completely feasible to believe that Kuzy went over to Jenner to check up on him, and Jenner just saw a Russian jersey and speared him. It's also feasible to think that Kuzy did chirp him, and Jenner then speared him.

Either way, we don't know what Kuzy said and there is no way in ever knowing without mutual agreement between those two players so it's pointless to speculate/debate.

Anyways, Jenner messed up and let his emotions get the best of him.

As for the suspension, 3 is completely fair, especially by IIHF rules. Canada's C depth is great and the only game they will miss him is vs the USA.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alberta tough

Sucks for the Team, but he got what he deseved. Hopefully he learns from this.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Of course, if Jenner hadn't hit the Swedish player a second after he released the pass, then it wouldn't have mattered what the Swede was doing. But you're completely right. Nearly a full second after passing the puck, the Swede should have known Jenner was coming!
you guys are talking like a second is a minute. its nearly instantaneous. its not like the hit was 5 seconds late. it was less than a second.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Uhhh because the rules are you are not allowed to hit people who have not touched the puck. I should not have to worry about a player leveling me when I am on the ice and don't have the puck. It's a basic rule of hockey, like don't tackle a guy in football who doesn't have the ball.
I didn't say hit people who haven't touched the puck, but make people think when they do you are coming and coming hard.