HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422)

Old
12-24-2012, 05:47 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
Sigh.

It really does look worse than it is. I'm probably one of the few who actually saw it in front of me and with my own eyes. It wasn't malicious. Yes, it was late, but it wasn't the only late hit in that game. Only reason he was given a 5 minute penalty was due to the injury. Plus the misconduct was never called on interference, which it should've been. It was for charging, which, unless I missed something, there never was. In fact, he was gliding almost from the blue line to the point of impact.

It should've been a two minute interference minor, nothing more. Of course Swedes are here crying that he shouldn't be playing at all, which is ridiculous. If you want that, go watch figure skating. Hockey's a contact sport, and hitting and physical play is (as it has always been) a big part of the game.

And yes, he was "admiring his pass". If he no longer has the puck, there is no longer a reason to have his head down, is there? He should've focused more on his surroundings.
Charging is also assessed for distance travelled, which is clearly what the refs called it on. Once charging is called and a player is injured, the refs may either hand out a Major Penalty + an Automatic Game Misconduct Penalty, or a Match Penalty. All Game Misconduct penalties must be reported to the IIHF for review. Whether he was or wasn't admiring his pass has no bearing on the ruling in the eyes of the rules, and even if he was, he shouldn't have to expect to get hit almost a complete second after he releases the puck, even if he should have his head up.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:49 PM
TOML

Should be a rule that defensemen can't be wreckless midgets anymore.

Jenner knew what he was doing though. He probably knew this was suspendable the instant he connected.

3 games is fair. 1 game would've been fair too. Meh.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I'm sorry but "Finish your checks" is a prime staple in Canadian hockey. People might get tired of hearing it said, but whenever I see interviews about the hit, those words are basically the words that are said. Ignoring it or saying those words are stupid will not change the fact that when playing contact hockey, that is what you are taught to do.

It's like driving and approaching a yellow light turning red, there is a point where you have to be committed to drive through. Some times it's not the right decisions and sometimes there may be consequences, but it is a decision you have to make in a split second and you have to be committed to it and face the consequences as it comes. It's as simple as that.
....and when you smash into another car after running a red light and send somebody to the hospital, you pay the consequences.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:50 PM
kdb527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
You're implying just as much as the person you replied to. Jenner was obviously heated and let his emotions take over in that situation.

It's completely feasible to believe that Kuzy went over to Jenner to check up on him, and Jenner just saw a Russian jersey and speared him. It's also feasible to think that Kuzy did chirp him, and Jenner then speared him.

Either way, we don't know what Kuzy said and there is no way in ever knowing without mutual agreement between those two players so it's pointless to speculate/debate.

Anyways, Jenner messed up and let his emotions get the best of him.

As for the suspension, 3 is completely fair, especially by IIHF rules. Canada's C depth is great and the only game they will miss him is vs the USA.
I actually think he Jenner is lucky to get 3, he should have received more. He is a multi offender. I believe that play in the OHL would have received the same 10 that Noesen got.

kdb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ghost Division
Pray for Matthews

vCash: 339
Bunk suspension.

Can't wait for Jenner's return, hopefully he comes back with a chip on his shoulder. He'll just need to watch himself with the Russians, these IIHF refs are shady as it is.

Last edited by The Head Crusher: 12-24-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Ghost Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Where have I said what Jenner did was legal?
Well you compared a legal action to an illegal one and implied that they are both legitimate tactics. I was hoping that I didn't have to break it down to this level and that you could infer from what I said yourself, but I was mistaken.

Sending a high, hard shot at a goalie at the beginning of the game to make him second guess himself is completely legal, and a legitimate tactic. Finishing a check cleanly (i.e. on time, elbows down, not targeting the head, etc) is completely legal and a legitimate tactic to make people think.

Finishing a check dirtily (i.e. late, to the head, etc) is not legal, and is not a legitimate tactic, nor should it be part of hockey.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
you guys are talking like a second is a minute. its nearly instantaneous. its not like the hit was 5 seconds late. it was less than a second.
If you can't make decisions and movements within a second in hockey you will not be able to hit one timers, receive passes, make passes, make stick handling moves or really do much of anything beyond a back yard pond level.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I didn't say hit people who haven't touched the puck, but make people think when they do you are coming and coming hard.
Yes and like I said, I would be scared, (Because I'm a baby and don't like being run over by large people going 20-30 mph) if I had the puck on the ice with Jenner. That's why I would move the puck, so he couldn't hit me. Once I move the puck I am no longer eligible to be hit.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Well you compared a legal action to an illegal one and implied that they are both legitimate tactics. I was hoping that I didn't have to break it down to this level and that you could infer from what I said yourself, but I was mistaken.

Sending a high, hard shot at a goalie at the beginning of the game to make him second guess himself is completely legal, and a legitimate tactic. Finishing a check cleanly (i.e. on time, elbows down, not targeting the head, etc) is completely legal and a legitimate tactic to make people think.

Finishing a check dirtily (i.e. late, to the head, etc) is not legal, and is not a legitimate tactic, nor should it be part of hockey.
I have stated multiple times Jenner made an illegal play due to bad timing. Not sure whatelse you want. I will not say he deserves 3 games, because I feel it is pure IIHF soft hockey BS and will never get behind their weak game mentality.

Auston Marlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Yes and like I said, I would be scared, (Because I'm a baby and don't like being run over by large people going 20-30 mph) if I had the puck on the ice with Jenner. That's why I would move the puck, so he couldn't hit me. Once I move the puck I am no longer eligible to be hit.
Yes and if he does hit you he gets a penalty. That's what happens when you interfere with someone, you get a penalty. A fraction of a second late does not get you suspended, but in the IIHF if someone gets hurt suddenly you are the next Matt Cooke.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
If you're playing at that level, it's expected that you have the ability to avoid or roll out of hits like that. Not to blame Pettersson, just wanting to point out that they have the ability and I don't think we would.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:57 PM
kdb527

Quote:
Yes and if he does hit you he gets a penalty. That's what happens when you interfere with someone, you get a penalty. A fraction of a second late does not get you suspended, but in the IIHF if someone gets hurt suddenly you are the next Matt Cooke.
It the same rule in the OHL where he comes from... Injury is part of suplemental action.

kdb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:57 PM
MXD

The hit in itself doesn't warrant a 3-game suspension, and Petterson is partly to blame for the result.

However, Jenner deserves to sit because of the sheer uselessness of it.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:59 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

For those saying that a second isn't that long. Let's say you're playing catch (baseball). A friend of yours is 50 feet away from you, and throws the ball towards you at relatively pedestrian 60 mph. The ball will reach you in .56 seconds. Can you catch it? The answer should be yes, easily.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Atomos2
Auston 20:16

vCash: 543
Quote:
If you can't make decisions and movements within a second in hockey you will not be able to hit one timers, receive passes, make passes, make stick handling moves or really do much of anything beyond a back yard pond level.
Those are called instincts.

You don't think in situations like that, you just react. All this talk about analyze and assessing the situation in times like those is false (to put it lightly).

The way you talk about it is like hockey players have the greatest minds in the world.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:00 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Injury is written into both the IIHF and the NHL rulebook.

Old
12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
MXD

Quote:
For those saying that a second isn't that long. Let's say you're playing catch (baseball). A friend of yours is 50 feet away from you, and throws the ball towards you at relatively pedestrian 60 mph. The ball will reach you in .56 seconds. Can you catch it? The answer should be yes, easily.
Well, if it's a breaking ball, no, but that's a story for another time.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:

You don't think in situations like that, you just react. All this talk about analyze and assessing the situation in times like those is false (to put it lightly).
You shouldn't have the instinct to hit someone a second after a pass. I'd try to find video of someone swerving to avoid a hit that would be that late, except videos like that don't exist because that's a normal hockey play.

Old
RorschachWJK

Good, got what he deserved. Next time triple that at least if he is boneheaded enough not to learn.

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

Has anyone said that the hit was legal? I mean it's pretty safe to say we all agree it was not a legal hit. Where we differ is the punishment doled out. No?

Old
12-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:

Catching a baseball is not an inherent behavior. It's a learned skill. Learning to skate, direct yourself at speed and accurately target an opponent is a learned skill, as is the ability to recognize when it is or isn't legal to hit a player. These guys do it hundreds of times a game because they are semi professional players.

Old
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Injury is written into both the IIHF and the NHL rulebook.
Yes in the rule book but used and interpreted differently. A big clean hit in the IIHF that results in injury will most likely result in a few games missed.

Old
Xokkeu

Quote:
Has anyone said that the hit was legal? I mean it's pretty safe to say we all agree it was not a legal hit. Where we differ is the punishment doled out. No?
I believe you have clarified that you don't think it was legal and that we only disagree on the punishment. The Blue Jacket fan I believe wants it to be legal.

Old
12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Atomos2
Auston 20:16

vCash: 543
Quote:
You shouldn't have the instinct to hit someone a second after a pass. I'd try to find video of someone swerving to avoid a hit that would be that late, except videos like that don't exist because that's a normal hockey play.
It's called finish your checks. It's what coaches tell players in full contact leagues when they are young. That's how it becomes instinct.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
I believe you have clarified that you don't think it was legal and that we only disagree on the punishment. The Blue Jacket fan I believe wants it to be legal.
I think it should be legal (more precisely, not suspension worthy but worthy of a minor or major), but I'm not arguing that it was...

I'm arguing first that the game of hockey is suffering by having too narrow of time allowed for finishing checks. Second, that Jenner's hit wasn't extremely late but was only slightly late. And third, that injuries shouldn't impact ruling despite the fact that they do in the NHL and IIHF (and elsewhere).

Oh and I'm also arguing that Jenner himself isn't a dirty player which you'd know if you watched him in Oshawa. Torres, Cooke, and IMO Dorsett are the types of players who should be removed from the game. Guys like Jenner who are leaders physically and emotionally shouldn't be.

Last edited by Crede777: 12-24-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote