HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

vCash: 500
Nothing wrong with pasta when made correctly. I dummy mine in the early afternoons.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Who the **** wants to eat just a steak?
I do. A steak is delicious.

Quote:
I bet my shrimp pasta gets me more protein than your steak, has less fat. Oh Noes! It has like 40 g carbs, its the end of the world!!!
I'd take that bet any day. Or do you put over 100 medium shrimp in your pasta?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:04 PM
guest1467

What kind of cut is your 20 oz steak?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:15 PM
guest1467

Hey Wilder,

You know you don't have to look up the most protein saturated steak...you could just tell me what one you normally eat.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:17 PM
blue425

Quote:
Because it's important to get your daily intake of calories.

While you are right that when you eat makes no difference whatsoever. Eating once a day is a surefire way of not getting enough calories. Unless you like stuffing 2500 calories into one meal, which I would reckon is impossible if you 'only eat until you are full.'
Please show me where I said I only ate once a day.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Please show me where I said I only ate once a day.
Fasting for 14-16 hours would imply eating once a day no? Unless you mean that while you sleep you are 'fasting.' This is hardly novel because then pretty much 90% of the population fasts for at least 8 hours every day.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:34 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Moderation is the best practice for sure! Keep your meals light and smaller. Love the 90/10 rule, it is the best way to live for me.
I don't think I've ever heard of the 90/10 rule.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
*sigh* oh the holiday season...

Old
01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
KISSland

I've had steak the passed 2 days. Every cut was top sirloin and about ~500 calories worth.

My side dish was of course only 120 calories so ~650-700 a meal... Not bad.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:57 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I've had steak the passed 2 days. Every cut was top sirloin and about ~500 calories worth.

My side dish was of course only 120 calories so ~650-700 a meal... Not bad.
Steak is a great meal.

I just find it hilarious that someone would claim that eating pasta is 'how someone gets fat' then go on to say "yo broz, eat a 20 oz steak or a whole chicken lolol.'

Pasta can be a much more complete meal than the above, and even give you more protein. And as long as you are managing your macros the rest of the day, it is a great meal.

For me to eat a 20 oz steak, that takes up almost all of my fat intake for the entire day. I would rather eat a 10 oz T-bone, a potato and a salad and have a little more versatility for the rest of my meals throughout the day.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:57 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 50
Any recommendations on an after workout protein? Obviously eating a meal is preferable, but it is difficult for me to do.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
Any recommendations on an after workout protein? Obviously eating a meal is preferable, but it is difficult for me to do.
I take a Mass Gainer right after the gym (True-Mass) but if not Promisil is the brand of protein I keep going back to, even if it is expensive.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Orr123

Quote:
Steak is a great meal.

I just find it hilarious that someone would claim that eating pasta is 'how someone gets fat' then go on to say "yo broz, eat a 20 oz steak or a whole chicken lolol.'

Pasta can be a much more complete meal than the above, and even give you more protein. And as long as you are managing your macros the rest of the day, it is a great meal.

For me to eat a 20 oz steak, that takes up almost all of my fat intake for the entire day. I would rather eat a 10 oz T-bone, a potato and a salad and have a little more versatility for the rest of my meals throughout the day.
I agree!

I hate the whole "this" makes you fat and "that" makes you fat. Seriously, if you eat in moderation, and stick with non-processed foods. You will lose weight.

There is no way I could eat the same thing everyday. And no way I could do no/minimal carbs. They are so delicious.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Any type of Whey Isolate will do. Match it up with a quick digesting carb source like Dextrose and you're all set.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:05 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Steak is a great meal.

For me it's the fact that i bloat when I eat too many carbs. So I've been cutting them out as much as I can. And I agree it takes up nearly 2/3rd of my fat intake.

And btw BLUE do you have any grainless free recipes that I can make in bulk and eat during the week? Please and thanks.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1310
Quote:
Whey, but if you don't have a protein shake ready I've found milk to be a decent replacement on a university budget. Gives you some protein (obviously not as much as other foods/beverages) and some carbs so you have a little reserve energy.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:49 AM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

vCash: 50
My Bulk was going really good, until Decemeber. First i picked up Quickmass cause it was on sale, a 1000 calorie shake for noobs (I used 250cal/ twice a day plus 5 meals though), then the holiday season in general gave me a bit of a gut, and then exams on top of that (quick junk meals).

So this month i cleaned up diet, dropped the calories slightly below my maintenance calories. Got rid of the weight gainer and lowered my carbs significantly near the end of the day.
Also I'm gonna do interval sprinting 20 mins 3 times a week (45 seconds as hard as i can, 90 seconds of walking).
a Bit of a bulk break for about 4-6 weeks then i'll be back bulking but way cleaner.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:13 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Chocolate milk if you don't have a supplement handy. Specifically chocolate for the extra carbs. If you are serious about post workout nutrition, you can buy any number of great Whey Isolate powders out there. I use ON Gold Standard (the most popular) and MP Combat Powder (new brand gaining in popularity).

Quote:
Fasting for 14-16 hours would imply eating once a day no? Unless you mean that while you sleep you are 'fasting.' This is hardly novel because then pretty much 90% of the population fasts for at least 8 hours every day.
You are either fasting or in a fed state, regardless of whether or not you are awake. IF revolves around fasting for 16 hours, then eating your macros in an 8 hour window. For practical 9-5 purposes, this means abstaining from breakfast and lunch, then eating when you get home. This also allows you to eat the majority of your calories around your workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
That awkward moment when the foods listed were high-calorie foods.
This thread is entertaining, to say the least.

Quote:
Moderation is the best practice for sure! Keep your meals light and smaller. Love the 90/10 rule, it is the best way to live for me.
There is no science that backs the small meal ********. You can argue that, for certain people, it keeps them satiated throughout the day and that's it. Absolutely nothing beyond that.

Last edited by XX: 01-07-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 06:11 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of the 90/10 rule.
Eating a healthy sensible way 90% of the time and then 10% of the time allowing myself something a little less healthy such a pizza or a chocolate bar etc.

Following a "diet" is not the way to stay healthy and keep weight off long term. Tons of studies show that people that follow fat diets tend to put back on the weight as soon as they stop following the diets, and often put on more. For me the 90/10 idea has been more of a lifestyle change and it has worked. I started about 18 months or so ago and went from 240lbs (i'm about 6 feet tall) to 190lbs and have remained at 190 for a few months now.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Steak is amazing, but i also found that tuna is just is amazing when training. 100g tuna contains around 25g proteins. That is just as good as 100g of a Pork fillet. I dont know about the NA prices but chances are that it is also cheaper. A lot of people seems to miss this.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:31 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
There is no science that backs the small meal ********. You can argue that, for certain people, it keeps them satiated throughout the day and that's it. Absolutely nothing beyond that.
I'm talking about small over eating a number of huge meals when you are trying to lose weight. Eating until you are full and not beyond like to many people do. There is a huge issue with portion control in Western culture, in the US in particular. Food is plentiful when compared to many parts of the world and if you go a many restaurants in the US, for example, the size of the portions that they serve are huge.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:37 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Steak is amazing, but i also found that tuna is just is amazing when training. 100g tuna contains around 25g proteins. That is just as good as 100g of a Pork fillet. I dont know about the NA prices but chances are that it is also cheaper. A lot of people seems to miss this.
The problem with tuna is the mercury content. Yes it is amazing for protein and health in general but it is not something you should be having more then once or twice a week.

una mercury levels can be different based on the type of tuna and where it was caught. The NRDC created the chart below as a guideline to how much tuna can be eaten by children, pregnant women or women wanting to conceive, based on their weight.

Weight in Pounds Frequency White Albacore Chunk Light
20lbs 1 can/10 wks 1 can/3 wks
30lbs 1 can/6 wks 1 can/2 wks
40lbs 1 can/5 weeks 1 can/11 days
50lbs 1 can/4 weeks 1 can/9 days
60lbs 1 can/3 weeks 1 can/7 days
70lbs 1 can/3 weeks 1 can/6 days
80lbs 1 can/2 weeks 1 can/ 6 days
90lbs 1 can/2 weeks 1 can/5 days
100lbs 1 can/2 weeks 1 can/5 days
110lbs 1 can/12 days 1 can/4 days
120lbs 1 can/11 days 1 can/4 days
130lbs 1 can/10 days 1 can/4 days
140lbs 1 can/10 days 1 can/3 days
150lbs + 1 can/9 days 1 can/3 days

Old
01-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Quote:
The problem with tuna is the mercury content. Yes it is amazing for protein and health in general but it is not something you should be having more then once or twice a week.

una mercury levels can be different based on the type of tuna and where it was caught. The NRDC created the chart below as a guideline to how much tuna can be eaten by children, pregnant women or women wanting to conceive, based on their weight.
Canned tuna here in Sweden is safe and the swedish National Food Authority actully recomends that we can eat without any sort of health problems 2-3 times per week. So the mercury is not really a problem. Tuna also has something like 189 kcal per 100g.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:48 AM
blue425

Quote:
In my original post I said I fasted once every two weeks or so. That is vastly different than fasting everyday. Though some people do, it is not for me.

There are lots of places where you can read about why IF is good for you, if you were so inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
You are either fasting or in a fed state, regardless of whether or not you are awake. IF revolves around fasting for 16 hours, then eating your macros in an 8 hour window. For practical 9-5 purposes, this means abstaining from breakfast and lunch, then eating when you get home. This also allows you to eat the majority of your calories around your workout.
And I see on the overnight XX did the work for me. Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
I agree!

I hate the whole "this" makes you fat and "that" makes you fat. Seriously, if you eat in moderation, and stick with non-processed foods. You will lose weight.

There is no way I could eat the same thing everyday. And no way I could do no/minimal carbs. They are so delicious.
I still get a fair share of carbs, its where they are coming from that is different.

Last edited by blue425: 01-07-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 06:48 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Canned tuna here in Sweden is safe and the swedish National Food Authority actully recomends that we can eat without any sort of health problems 2-3 times per week. So the mercury is not really a problem. Tuna also has something like 189 kcal per 100g.
I don't see how canned tuna from Sweden can be any different then canned tuna in North America or anywhere else in the world. Tuna has mercury from being in the ocean and we all get our tuna from the same oceans.

Hey if you want to eat more power to you but don't be surprised when you get signs of mercury poisoning!

Closed Thread