HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 04:52 AM
bassassin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
Just curious Bassassin, as I do a lot of chinups myself, were the chinups the cause of the subscapularis and bicep tendonitis? Actually, speaking of scapularis, blah, what have you done to rehab? I have a loosey-goosey scap (shoulder-blade), and am worried about strengthening it improperly.
No they werent as far as I am aware. I think I caused it from a couple of things, firstly one of my scaps is slightly out of place (my shoulder is slightly higher and further forward on my right side. Only every so slightly so a physio noticed it but no one else ever has (have seen two physios, two physical therapists and a few doctors all relating to shoulder), second thing was probably benching all the way to my chest with heavy weight and just a poor stretching/warm-up routine. The pull ups and to a lesser extent chin ups weren't great for it, but I dont think caused it, just going on what hurt the most.

Only reason I waited so long was because widegrip are very unstable so places a big strain on your rotator cuff plus the tendons would rub and click on that motion as my injury got worse.

Rehab for my subscapularis, mostly icing (daily), stretching out my chest, subscapularis and traps (every couple of hours).

This exercise was the main one as it targets the subscapularis:

Plus:

and

(adds some instability)

As well as lat raises, front raises etc, light shoulder work and general resistance band/light workout (had to use the freaking bar to bench for a month, no weight just the bar ) about 3 times a week.

As for fixing my scapula, I have shoulder setting exercises to do, can't seem to find youtubes. But I move my shoulder into its natural position (physio showed me), slightly back and down, but making sure my trap is relaxed and then do the standing resistance band internal rotations. Thats the main one for my shoulder, is just keeping it locked in the right position and do a shoulder exercise. One session with a physio and he spotted this (came for a check up on my tendonitis, same company different physio) and straight away set me a whole load of exercises to tighten up the surrounding muscle and set it right. They are loads of minor motions.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:23 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

So many gym no nos in this "advice" thread.

Curls while taking up the bench/bar? Good christ.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:34 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
So many gym no nos in this "advice" thread.

Curls while taking up the bench/bar? Good christ.
I would think a lot of people don't know the etiquette at the gym, especially those that sign up as part of a new years type resolution and end up showing up once a month if that after the first few weeks.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:45 AM
blue425

You mean I can't get fit by making a donation and an occasional appearance?

Old
01-08-2013, 07:47 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
You mean I can't get fit by making a donation and an occasional appearance?
If it was only that easy...

Old
01-08-2013, 08:29 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
Holy **** was the gym ever packed today. Jeez, I thought there would be a lot of New Years' people, but there were far more than I could have imagined. I didn't even get to do a couple of exercises I wanted to, because of the sheer amount of people. Hopefully it'll die down quickly.

Give it couple weeks and it'll go back to normal.

Then again I shouldnt make fun of them. That was me few years ago.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:31 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
Getting away from all this philosophical stuff:

Do you guys listen to music during workouts? I used to all the time, but I've started to move to more motivational bodybuilding YouTube videos. (Audio only ofc)

Gets me more pumped up nowadays for whatever reason

Listen to music all the time. It's just not the same without it.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:36 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Wide-grip pullups for the first time today since I got chronic tendonitis of the subscapularis and biceps tendons in July

Been so ****ing careful since, but finally feel able to do virtually anything in the gym again (except dips, so wary of those ****ers)

4 sets of 10 with good form as well, so haven't lost too much from having to do other back exercises instead

Couldnt do 4 sets of 10 at my peak lol. For some reason me and wide grip pull ups dont mix.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

can anyone recommend any wireless sport headphones?
I'm really interested in getting a pair to use while running. I hate having the wire in the way.

I've checked on amazon, but most of them seem to not be rated very highly.

any suggestions?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:57 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
any suggestions?
Save yourself the money and the hassle by putting the wire under your shirt and out at the collar. No more wire flapping in your way.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Save yourself the money and the hassle by putting the wire under your shirt and out at the collar. No more wire flapping in your way.
This, wireless is a huge waste of money

Old
01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
This, wireless is a huge waste of money
That was the impression I was getting from my research anyway...

I currently use the Sennheiser/Adidas behind the neck pair, which have a de-tachable extension for the wire, I use them with an arm band.
My problem is with the attachment on, the wire is too long, and with it off its too short. When I turn my head the wire tugs from my armband.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:14 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Couldnt do 4 sets of 10 at my peak lol. For some reason me and wide grip pull ups dont mix.
I love pull-ups so I used to do loads of different kinds and would begin or end every workout with 50 pull ups.

So its nice to start being able to have some variety in them now, instead of just chin-ups as it has been for the past 2 months.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoewsables View Post

I saw someone doing dumbbell curls at the bench press the other day FFS. Just sat on the bench while someone was waiting to use it properly.
Meh, depends on what type of gym and how busy it is.

We have a plethora of flat benches and I workout during the quieter times. So regardless if it's frowned upon, I'm never inconveniencing anyone else in the weight room.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:53 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Meh, depends on what type of gym and how busy it is.

We have a plethora of flat benches and I workout during the quieter times. So regardless if it's frowned upon, I'm never inconveniencing anyone else in the weight room.
It's very much frowned upon.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
It's very much frowned upon.
I'm not too worried about it. Like I said, my workouts are in the quiet hours of early morning when the weight room is deserted so I really couldn't care less.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Incomplete and complete proteins combine during digestion throughout the day. Considering that I have a healthy source of complete protein intake every day (not to mention every meal has both complete and incomplete proteins, lol), it would not matter if I was counting incomplete proteins or not.
It seems as though wilderpegasus and ikeamonkey could be one in the same..... don't waste your time, man. Fake "bro" trolling.....

Old
01-08-2013, 01:19 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
It seems as though wilderpegasus and ikeamonkey could be one in the same..... don't waste your time, man. Fake "bro" trolling.....
I don't get where I have trolled this thread? Except maybe the wife beater + gloves thing, which I'm actually 1000% serious about.

And I'm pretty sure posts like this claiming I'm "fake" only inflate my ego more.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:37 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
I don't get where I have trolled this thread? Except maybe the wife beater + gloves thing, which I'm actually 1000% serious about.

And I'm pretty sure posts like this claiming I'm "fake" only inflate my ego more.
Hey man, keep it going, I thoroughly enjoy your posts to be honest.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Hey man, keep it going, I thoroughly enjoy your posts to be honest.
Thanks, it's genuinely hard to take a thread seriously when people are saying, "Yea, I got bad etiquette, but no one is around to see it, so it aint nothin." It's like intentionally peeing on the floor in the bathroom.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:10 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Thanks, it's genuinely hard to take a thread seriously when people are saying, "Yea, I got bad etiquette, but no one is around to see it, so it aint nothin." It's like intentionally peeing on the floor in the bathroom.
Or not washing your hands after touching da wang after pissing

Old
01-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what I said.

Get over yourself bro, I prefer using the larger barbells for my curls because I can get a full tricep extension at the bottom of my rep, which is more difficult with the shorter straight bars.

Obviously I wouldn't take up a bench during busy hours, which is also why I don't use the squat racks like so many others for curls.

It's 5am during my workouts when the floor is empty. There's many ways to be a dbag in the gym, but what I'm doing isn't one of those ways.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Or not washing your hands after touching da wang after pissing
Terrible. I take the long way out of the locker room each time to avoiding touching the door handle. Animals.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Elbows of Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
No they werent as far as I am aware. I think I caused it from a couple of things, firstly one of my scaps is slightly out of place (my shoulder is slightly higher and further forward on my right side. Only every so slightly so a physio noticed it but no one else ever has (have seen two physios, two physical therapists and a few doctors all relating to shoulder), second thing was probably benching all the way to my chest with heavy weight and just a poor stretching/warm-up routine. The pull ups and to a lesser extent chin ups weren't great for it, but I dont think caused it, just going on what hurt the most.

Only reason I waited so long was because widegrip are very unstable so places a big strain on your rotator cuff plus the tendons would rub and click on that motion as my injury got worse.

Rehab for my subscapularis, mostly icing (daily), stretching out my chest, subscapularis and traps (every couple of hours).

This exercise was the main one as it targets the subscapularis:

Plus:

and

(adds some instability)

As well as lat raises, front raises etc, light shoulder work and general resistance band/light workout (had to use the freaking bar to bench for a month, no weight just the bar ) about 3 times a week.

As for fixing my scapula, I have shoulder setting exercises to do, can't seem to find youtubes. But I move my shoulder into its natural position (physio showed me), slightly back and down, but making sure my trap is relaxed and then do the standing resistance band internal rotations. Thats the main one for my shoulder, is just keeping it locked in the right position and do a shoulder exercise. One session with a physio and he spotted this (came for a check up on my tendonitis, same company different physio) and straight away set me a whole load of exercises to tighten up the surrounding muscle and set it right. They are loads of minor motions.
Thanks for the post. I really appreciate it. I can feel your pain benching just the bar. I feel like I'm going to have to start (along with a heavy dose of preventative exercises). It's rough, I was just starting to bench 10 pounds over my own weight, what I thought comfortably, when a (super help full) trainer interrupted me and pointed out my winging scapula.

I'm going to put this these exercises to good use; and probably go see a physiotherapist for good measure.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

If you want to fix your winging scapula you'll need to do things like Scapula retraction exercises, as well as exercises that strengthen up your mid and lower trapezius, and serratus anterior.

A prone cobra is a very good exercise that focuses on strengthening your mid and lower traps and is a good place to start. Paul Chek has some solid exercises for this as well that targets your scapula stabilizers. Try working his advanced shoulder press into your workouts:

And to strengthen your serratus anterior, another good exercise is a 1 arm supine protraction:

Scapula Pushups:

Prone Cobra:

Add these in, do them correctly and you'll be well on your way to fixing your problem.

Closed Thread