HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

vCash: 500
Hey guys, looking to start working out as I am a toothpick currently. 6'3" 160. I recently got some dumbbells for Christmas and I am looking for some videos that I can follow so I can start to get a routine, or at least know where to start. I've tried searching myself but there's just so many with so many different names I just don't know where to start. Anything that has worked for you or any of your friends? Or that are currently working for you? I'm looking to start a base before I go out and get a gym membership. Also, a food plan would also help a lot, as well as any general tips. Thanks guys!

Old
01-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Elbows of Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
If you want to fix your winging scapula you'll need to do things like Scapula retraction exercises, as well as exercises that strengthen up your mid and lower trapezius, and serratus anterior.

A prone cobra is a very good exercise that focuses on strengthening your mid and lower traps and is a good place to start. Paul Chek has some solid exercises for this as well that targets your scapula stabilizers. Try working his advanced shoulder press into your workouts:
Thanks! Lynk. I've seen the prone cobra before, and will incorporate that. Scapula pushups are going to be tough to figure out. Physio is going to look more and more like an option before something *pops* or *clicks* and I can't lift my arm anymore.

Thanks again

Old
01-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Hey guys, looking to start working out as I am a toothpick currently. 6'3" 160. I recently got some dumbbells for Christmas and I am looking for some videos that I can follow so I can start to get a routine, or at least know where to start. I've tried searching myself but there's just so many with so many different names I just don't know where to start. Anything that has worked for you or any of your friends? Or that are currently working for you? I'm looking to start a base before I go out and get a gym membership. Also, a food plan would also help a lot, as well as any general tips. Thanks guys!
My advice is to eat enough food.

It seems obvious, but I actually went wrong here when I first started working out.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:14 AM
XX
SOS

Quote:
$10 digital download. The beginners bible: Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...rting+strength

Google bodyweight routines and possibly dumbbell only routines until you feel comfortable enough to get a gym membership. I'm not sure why you would wait, other than out of embarrassment. I'll tell you right now that it matters very little at most commercial gyms what you are starting out as. A simple machine routine can help get you acclimated to working out and gain some strength. But machines are not ideal, as explained in the thread and the book.

If you are naturally lean, you'll also need to eat a pretty big surplus (lots of food) to put on muscle. The term for this is 'bulking' so go google your heart out. A really simple, cheap approach is GOMAD.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:13 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
If you want to fix your winging scapula you'll need to do things like Scapula retraction exercises, as well as exercises that strengthen up your mid and lower trapezius, and serratus anterior.

A prone cobra is a very good exercise that focuses on strengthening your mid and lower traps and is a good place to start. Paul Chek has some solid exercises for this as well that targets your scapula stabilizers. Try working his advanced shoulder press into your workouts:

Scapula Pushups:

Prone Cobra:

Add these in, do them correctly and you'll be well on your way to fixing your problem.
Yeah the scapula pushups and the cobra are part of what the physios recommended for me. But mine is only ever so slight. My scapula is in the right position for 90% of the time, its just on extension at one point it slips a little.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:15 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
Thanks for the post. I really appreciate it. I can feel your pain benching just the bar. I feel like I'm going to have to start (along with a heavy dose of preventative exercises). It's rough, I was just starting to bench 10 pounds over my own weight, what I thought comfortably, when a (super help full) trainer interrupted me and pointed out my winging scapula.

I'm going to put this these exercises to good use; and probably go see a physiotherapist for good measure.
Its alright, it took me 6 months to get to this stage, I know how ****ing frustrating it is having tendonitis, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Yeah those are all good for the subscapularis/shoulder. And the ones Lynk recommended all ring a bell, but the scapula press ups particularly.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:39 AM
blue425

Workout day. It seems like Wednesday and Saturday/Sunday have settled in as my two days a week.

I would like to hit some new numbers today if I can..

Old
01-09-2013, 09:50 AM
zingbo2133

Man today the callouses on my hands are just killing me for some reason. I don't wanna get gloves but they look like they might just rip off if I don't. Gonna try to lotion them up see if it helps.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:56 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingbo2133 View Post
Man today the callouses on my hands are just killing me for some reason. I don't wanna get gloves but they look like they might just rip off if I don't. Gonna try to lotion them up see if it helps.
Start pissing on your hands, like a man.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:25 AM
zingbo2133

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Start pissing on your hands, like a man.
Haha unfortunately I don't think the gf would like my piss hands to much.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:34 AM
blue425

It's sterile and I like the taste.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Got the flu..guess I won't be lifting for a bit. I knew I was going to get it, seems like everyone has it right now. Luckily I am cutting now, since I don't have much of an appetite if I was still bulking.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Won a free container of Powder Burn (pre-workout) from Rivalus. Pretty bitter taste to it but it's effective.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:12 AM
KISSland

If anyone cares I made overnight oats with steelcut oatmeal.

It's easy..

The night before just put the oats in the pot. Once the pot starts to boil turn it off cover it with a lid and leave it off the burner overnight.

the next day crank it to high till it start to boil amd leave it there for 5-6 minutes down to medium.

It took me 7 minutes to make it the next day... That's a lot of time saved. For me atleast.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:01 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

I just made some whole wheat pancakes for lunch, infused with strawberry Promasil (which by the way, is buy one get one half off at GNC). Threw some chopped up banana, sprinkled some cinnamon on top and put just a light dash of maple syrup to complete it.

Delicious.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Puck Farise
Fire Deboer

I must be pretty lucky with genetics. Because I'm somewhere around 16-17% bodyfat and I've got a pretty well defined adonis belt already. Started cutting to attempt to see what I'd look like around 10%. Although I've been reading that the muscle that makes the 'belt' protrude is built up by squats and deadlifts, so it may be more my workout routine than genetics, I don't know...

Old
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Everlasting

Quote:
In my experience, training is 50% discipline, 40% eating and 10% training. It does not matter if you want to gain muscles or loose weight. Eating right, and continue to do so for a long period of time is the most important thing. Espacilly if you want to loose weight. The realisation that transformations take TIME is the really important. Dont stand and look in the mirror every day. Try taking a photo today and compare it in 4 weeks or so. That should do well for your self esteam. (If you have been doing it right that is )

If you only have dumbbells, be carefull and do not just train your arms. I seen skinny guys with huge arms at the gym more than once, trust me, it is not attractive It just looks wierd. Divide your training so that yo focus on diffrent groups of muscles each time. In the lenght, it will be worth it.

And for food, you need to eat enough to get a surplus when you train. I'd say that around 75-100g proteins every day when you are training is a good amount to start with. Then when you start to go to the gym, you should go above 100g. There are supplements for this if you have trouble to consume that amount. All forms of meat is good. Other than that, you have eggs (around 6g each) and tuna (25g P per 100g). A lot more offcourse, just google it.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Bah, pulled my calf bad on Tuesday. Just resting up and healing....frustrating.

Should stretch better.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:09 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Bah, pulled my calf bad on Tuesday. Just resting up and healing....frustrating.

Should stretch better.
Dude that blows. Sorry to hear.. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Yesterdays workout turned into me doing pull ups and chin ups. I was too tired when I got home so I took the day off.

I worked out this morning and managed to hit 49 push ups. I was quite pleased.

I'm hoping the weather holds this weekend. I would really like to head to Fort Hamilton to work out. That adult jungle gym is sick.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Kitten Mittons

A few things:

1) Dude... **** high-rep training. I don't like feeling this way
2) Got weird pain from my left collarbone to the neck when I move a certain way after a shoulder workout today; kinda like a nerve tweak
3) Saw a dude completely shirtless, like not even a wife beater .. my first.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
A few things:

1) Dude... **** high-rep training. I don't like feeling this way
What way?

Old
01-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Kitten Mittons

Exhausted. I burn out so quickly. Muscles aching. Sore for days. Etc.

Shoulders have been the biggest ***** so far. I'm sure legs would be too but I somehow tweaked my groin(?) by sleeping ... I am Martin Havlat of the real world.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:04 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
can anyone recommend any wireless sport headphones?
I'm really interested in getting a pair to use while running. I hate having the wire in the way.

I've checked on amazon, but most of them seem to not be rated very highly.

any suggestions?

I picked some SMS audio sync headphones by 50 cent, they're wireless, durable, and sound better than the beats.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Exhausted. I burn out so quickly. Muscles aching. Sore for days. Etc.

Shoulders have been the biggest ***** so far. I'm sure legs would be too but I somehow tweaked my groin(?) by sleeping ... I am Martin Havlat of the real world.
feels AMAZING you mena

Old
01-11-2013, 02:44 PM
TheMuumio

I'm still in the process of losing fat. I know the dietary part, but how much cardio should I add. Right now I'm doing weight training 4 times a week but my cardio training is pretty much just weekly 2 hour floorball practice (Which means I'm running/playing between 30 minutes to an hour, basically interval training). I'm thinking of adding at least one session of jogging to the week, which would translate to two per week when you count in the floorball practises. Any input? Should I add additional jogging session or what?
I don't want to lose much of the muscle mass I've gained, but at the same time need to lose weight and get better endurance.

Closed Thread