HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 03:09 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
11 days in, and still so far, so good. Have walked every day, honestly start looking forward to walking (especially today, it being a decently warm night for the season), my appetite's way down, energy's up, waking up is a lot easier, and honestly feeling trimmer.

Insanely tempted to go out and pick up a scale to weigh myself, but don't want to sucker into the habit of weighing myself already only in my second week.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

vCash: 500
Thought my cold was just about over, so I tried to lift today..damn, not a good idea to try to lift while still sick, even if it's just a cold. I left after a few sets, not worth it.

Could tell a lot of other people were sick as well, heard a lot of coughing. If you think about it, the gym has to be the easiest place to get sick at..

Old
01-12-2013, 12:22 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Insanely tempted to go out and pick up a scale to weigh myself, but don't want to sucker into the habit of weighing myself already only in my second week.
If you feel good and notice your clothes fitting better, don't. Numbers have a way of messing with you. If you really want to, weigh yourself the 1st of every month or something. Or take pictures the same way, and compare them month to month.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
If you feel good and notice your clothes fitting better, don't. Numbers have a way of messing with you. If you really want to, weigh yourself the 1st of every month or something. Or take pictures the same way, and compare them month to month.
My usual favorite pair of jeans definitely have more room, which is astonishing given how little time's passed, so it's definitely working.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:25 AM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuumio View Post
I'm still in the process of losing fat. I know the dietary part, but how much cardio should I add. Right now I'm doing weight training 4 times a week but my cardio training is pretty much just weekly 2 hour floorball practice (Which means I'm running/playing between 30 minutes to an hour, basically interval training). I'm thinking of adding at least one session of jogging to the week, which would translate to two per week when you count in the floorball practises. Any input? Should I add additional jogging session or what?
I don't want to lose much of the muscle mass I've gained, but at the same time need to lose weight and get better endurance.
Right now I'm doing interval sprinting (45 seconds hards, 90 seconds walking) for 20 mintues 3 times a week which is working out perfect. It's muscle sparing and you can throw it in right after your workout.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:44 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007 View Post
Right now I'm doing interval sprinting (45 seconds hards, 90 seconds walking) for 20 mintues 3 times a week which is working out perfect. It's muscle sparing and you can throw it in right after your workout.
Love training like that. Only difference for me is what I'll do is sprint across a soccer field, lightly jog back, repeat. I don't like having to keep track of the time.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Trained hams and calves yesterday, can't walk today.

Love that feel.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Intoewsables

vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Trained hams and calves yesterday, can't walk today.

Love that feel.

Relevant.

First day back at the gym in a couple weeks and I decided to do legs as well. Feels sooooo good.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:45 AM
xtra

Hoping someone on here can give me some good advice.

For the last few months i have been going everyday (6days a week) doing a routine that helped me drop alot of weight. But now i am looking to move into a more 3 day Full body work out so i can have some part of my life back that isn't all the time in the gym. So can anyone suggest for me a Good workout routine that is done 3-4 days a week in the Gym (M,W,F hopefully) which would be a whole body routine that would focus on Toning and tightening up everything.

As well since on Tuesdays and Thursday's i have other sport commitments i was hoping if anyone had a good Core/Ab workout that can be done. Right now it seems that my best routine is going to be to go with the P90x one.

IF you are able to help with routines for either (with sets and reps) it would be greatly appreciated.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:50 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

If you're only able to make it 3 days a week I suggest doing a Push, Pull, Legs split.

Monday- Push - Chest, tri's, shoulders
Wednesday - Pull - Back, Bi's, Abs
Friday - Legs.

You can find exercises for each at exrx.net

Old
01-15-2013, 01:53 AM
darko

Day 1 - Chest, Tri's
Day 2 - Back, Biceps
Day 3- Shoulders, Legs

Throw in abs and core work on any of those days depending how you feel after a weights session.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:38 AM
TheMuumio

Quote:
Started it today (was gonna start it ysterday, but for some reason didn't). Yesterday's leg day made it a pain , but damn it felt awesome at the end. Had to do it with a stat. bicycle because pretty much the whole ground is frozen here - not gonna risk it. Just added lot of resistance when it was sprinting time and tried to keep up the speed.
Gonna keep it up.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:59 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Ive been doing Tabata on the stationary and its painful but awesome.

Did my first day of sprints etc with mini-hurdles. Was wearing Vibram 5-finger shoes and my calves got roasted. Hurt playing hockey the last two nights.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:01 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Ive been doing Tabata on the stationary and its painful but awesome.

Did my first day of sprints etc with mini-hurdles. Was wearing Vibram 5-finger shoes and my calves got roasted. Hurt playing hockey the last two nights.
I've also just recently started sprinting with Vibrams over the last few months. It hurts to walk down stairs the next several days afterwards.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:38 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Feeling 95% better, will get back in the gym tomorrow and hit cardio to see how much of my form I lost being sick for ten days. Gotta get my swagger back.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Feeling 95% better, will get back in the gym tomorrow and hit cardio to see how much of my form I lost being sick for ten days. Gotta get my swagger back.
Same here..was out for a week exactly now with a terrible cold, tried to lift and just wasn't a good idea. Can't wait to get back in there tomorrow. I doubt I'll see much of a drop off if any at all from just a week off.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 210
Leaving for a sports competition on Thursday morning. Should I be doing hard workouts prior to the competition (ones that give you a full body pain)?

Old
01-15-2013, 09:49 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Same here..was out for a week exactly now with a terrible cold, tried to lift and just wasn't a good idea. Can't wait to get back in there tomorrow. I doubt I'll see much of a drop off if any at all from just a week off.
My **** was a big coughing fit/mucus issue. I doubt my lifting will suffer much but my cardio has probably gone a bit to ****.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I've also just recently started sprinting with Vibrams over the last few months. It hurts to walk down stairs the next several days afterwards.
Does it not go away after a few times?

Old
01-15-2013, 11:25 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Does it not go away after a few times?
Gradually. Mine still hurt the next day when I do long distance cardio (10K or longer), but after my first round of sprints with them I almost called into work the next day. I definitely didn't expect it to last nearly as long as it has, especially since I wear them daily.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:27 AM
blue425

Quote:
I love barefoot shoes. Can't wear VFF's though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Leaving for a sports competition on Thursday morning. Should I be doing hard workouts prior to the competition (ones that give you a full body pain)?
I would lay off anything that heavy within 24-72 hours prior to whatever it is you're doing.

Anyone else want to chime in?

And good luck!

Old
01-15-2013, 02:49 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Depends on sport and importance of competition.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:05 PM
RayP

Anyone of you guys ever have to deal with foot pain? Went for a run Saturday, was fine the rest of the day, woke up, and now every time I push off my toes even when just walking at a normal pace, it hurts like crazy. Not even sure how to describe the pain... almost feels like you need to crack your foot, but it just won't, combined with a deep bruise maybe? Checked WebMD and some other sites, but can't figure out what it is. It's towards the back of my foot, on the outside of it, where the pain is felt.

Really don't want to go to the doctor if it's something that will go away in a few days, as I don't have health insurance at the moment. I've had numerous foor ailments/soreness from running before which just needed a few days, but this one feels different. Best I can tell from looking at foot diagrams is that the pain is near the subtalar joint, but only when I push off my toes when walking.

Last edited by RayP: 01-15-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Anyone of you guys ever have to deal with foot pain? Went for a run Saturday, was fine the rest of the day, woke up, and now every time I push off my toes even when just walking at a normal pace, it hurts like crazy. Not even sure how to describe the pain... almost feels like you need to crack your foot, but it just won't, combined with a deep bruise maybe? Checked WebMD and some other sites, but can't figure out what it is. It's towards the back of my foot, on the outside of it, where the pain is felt.

Really don't want to go to the doctor if it's something that will go away in a few days, as I don't have health insurance at the moment. I've had numerous foor ailments/soreness from running before which just needed a few days, but this one feels different.
If it's on the back of your feet towards your heels it could be development of plantar fasciitis. How is the arch in your feet when you're firmly planted. Does your entire food including your arch touch the ground?.. If it does you may need to see a chiropodist to look at possible custom orthotics for you feet.

I know because I had the exact same problem, I would have bad foot pain after working out and my feet are extremely flat so I needed some more support to keep it in line.

But if this is the first time you're experiencing it, take a look at your shoes first and try a different pair. It could just be old shoes not providing the support anymore. But if it does persist then you may need to see a foot doctor.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:13 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
If it's on the back of your feet towards your heels it could be development of plantar fasciitis. How is the arch in your feet when you're firmly planted. Does your entire food including your arch touch the ground?.. If it does you may need to see a chiropodist to look at possible custom orthotics for you feet.

I know because I had the exact same problem, I would have bad foot pain after working out and my feet are extremely flat so I needed some more support to keep it in line.

But if this is the first time you're experiencing it, take a look at your shoes first and try a different pair. It could just be old shoes not providing the support anymore. But if it does persist then you may need to see a foot doctor.
It's not the achilles, it's more on the side of the foot. Just made a brief edit better describing the pain.... And no, entire foot I do not believe touches the ground when barefoot.

Shoes I use now are the Vibrams that I've been using for months, and actually got rid of shin splints and some minor knee pain after switching... and haven't had any issues other than say a blister here or there after the switch. Like I said, I've been using them for several months now and haven't had a single issue with them even while running 20+ miles a week in them, biking in them to and from work, and wearing them at the gym.

Closed Thread