HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Where you'd untie a bra..... so like upper-middle? Lol.

It's been hurting a couple days before I posted it on HF. I think it's when I was doing rows. I did 40lbs each hand and I was doing 30s before. =/
Couple days could just be normal DOMS. Does it feel especially bad? I'm no kinesiologist or CPT though.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

vCash: 500
It honestly could be a few possible things, Figz.

I see people doing rows constantly in the gym and rarely do I see people doing them correctly. Guys will try to compensate more weight by sacrificing form and then things like this happen.

Main thing I generally notice is the knee that is placed on the bench is often at a poor angle for their back. I can't count the amount of rounded backs I see on a daily basis and when training things like deads, rows etc its vital to make sure you keep a nice straight line to the back.

Like Unaffiliated said it could still simply be DOMS since you said you lifted heavier than you normally do. Its also possible you could have subluxated your back which is also pretty common and the middle back is a common target for getting subluxations. Give it a few more days to see if it subsides, take it easy with the lifting so as to not make it worse and hold off on training back until it's gone.

If it doesn't subside over the next week then 2 things I suggest is 1 go see a chiropractor, if you do indeed have a subluxation then they can completely fix it. Or, get yourself a foam roller and basically lie on it and go back and forth, it's a great way to stretch and relieve back pain.

Last edited by Lynk: 02-25-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Kitten Mittons

That's why I don't do dumbbell rows. I just feel like I can never get the correct form (feels awkward) and for some reason I get shoulder and elbow pain in the arm used to hold the form (non-dumbbell arm).

Old
02-25-2013, 10:42 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

I want to make my own pre-workout supp so i can tweak with it and make whats best for me however i can't find any 1 3 dimethylamylamine in Canada

Old
02-26-2013, 01:58 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Weekly weigh in report...

Lost 7 more pounds this week! Meaning I'm down 39.2 lbs for the year, from 222 to 182.8!

Although I will admit that probably half of this week's weight loss has happened in the past 24 hours and not being able to retain even water...
Keep it up! you'll start feeling more lighter and more awake!

Trust me, you're doing your body some good

Old
02-26-2013, 04:26 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007 View Post
I want to make my own pre-workout supp so i can tweak with it and make whats best for me however i can't find any 1 3 dimethylamylamine in Canada
DMAA is so ****ing overrated.

Tyrosine + Caffeine is a much more clean energy if you are smart about it.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:21 AM
DRWCountryClub

Anyone know a good routine/diet for just putting on lean muscle instead of bulking up?

I hurt my back in January so haven't worked out at all in about five weeks. Dropped a good 15lbs(was 185, now around 170).

I'm itching to get back to the gym, but I used to always take a gainer, some creatine, eat a ton of calories, so was adding a lot of useless weight.

Going back in, I'd kind of like to have the goal in mind to do more core exercises, maybe lighter weight and more reps, in order to get a more 'cut' look rather than just trying to get big.

Any advice you guys could give me?

Old
02-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Going back in, I'd kind of like to have the goal in mind to do more core exercises, maybe lighter weight and more reps, in order to get a more 'cut' look rather than just trying to get big.

Any advice you guys could give me?
Oh God ... if you want to get lean, bulk then cut. You gain weight to add muscle, you lose fat to keep muscle and get that "lean" look. Reps and weight have nothing to do with anything.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:54 PM
RayP

Switching gyms in early April when I can. Found a new gym that has a really cool agility room with turf and a bunch of cool toys in there to play with. Things like one of those massive tires, the sled weights, cone drills, etc. Have you typical modern weight lifting equipement, but also have a cool old school olympic weight room. Only thing I wish they had was a lap pool of some sort. Oh well, at least they have a sauna. That will be taken advantage of.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Oh God ... if you want to get lean, bulk then cut. You gain weight to add muscle, you lose fat to keep muscle and get that "lean" look. Reps and weight have nothing to do with anything.
I`m not really a person who wants to do that bulk then cut ********.

Reps and weight also have a huge part in how much you gain.

I don`t even know why I bothered asking, you just get snide, sarcastic remarks from bros who know everything around here.

I`m sure I`ll be alright from my own experiences.

What a waste.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Kitten Mittons

Just saying bro, it's all about bf%. Do more cardio, do more super sets, do more core, do more high reps, play sports and you'll look "leaner". There. Do bodyweight exercises ... pushups burpees, pushup - pullup burpees, box jumps, box jump pushup burpees, plyometrics, sprints .... anything with more cardio/endurance. You'll look cut and lean because you shed a bunch of bf%, you won't be gaining much muscle there though. You can just get on a diet and look leaner.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Unaffiliated

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet5.htm

http://scoobysworkshop.com/toning/

http://www.criticalbench.com/muscle_toning_workout.htm

http://forums[dot]bodybuilding[dot]com/showthread.php?t=151601073

Many, many people have asked the same type of question before.

The bottom link is a thread from bodybuilding.com, and is a discussion between PTs in the PT forum. It seems the website is not allowed to be linked, so mods feel free to delete. I think it's the best of all the links, though, so hopefully you don't feel it needs to be chopped.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

What do you guys do about bleeding nipples when running long distances? I was wearing a cotton shirt on a very rainy day. I didn't notice the chafing but my shirt was pretty bloody when I got home.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Kitten Mittons

Eww but there are men's bras for that. I've seen soccer players wear them.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
What do you guys do about bleeding nipples when running long distances? I was wearing a cotton shirt on a very rainy day. I didn't notice the chafing but my shirt was pretty bloody when I got home.
Bandaids or tape.

Stop running long distance and run shorter interval sprints.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Nip guards, bandaids, vaseline on them before you run. Any of these should minimize your issues.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I'll give vaseline a try next time. I've tried band-aids before but they don't stay on great. I was hoping that there was some shirt I could wear that wouldn't cause this to happen.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:21 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
I'll give vaseline a try next time. I've tried band-aids before but they don't stay on great. I was hoping that there was some shirt I could wear that wouldn't cause this to happen.
Tight fitting shirts.

Women don't have these issues because they're wearing tight sports bras which cause little to no movement or friction and thus keeping the nips from getting too sensitive.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:57 AM
RayP

Quote:
For what it's worth vaseline didn't work for me, and I put a ton on. That, and it stained one of my favorite shirts that I refuse to where because no matter how many times I wish it... I still have to lactating stains on my nips.

I wear a super tight undershirt for my runs, and usually good to go unless I go 10+ miles. I'd suggest bandaids, and then taping them. Bandaids on their own for me just fall off eventually from the moisture.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:28 PM
NYR89

Had this exact issue myself while marathon training. I bled through my shirt and my hoodie that I had on .

I've gone the band aid route on a reccommendation from a buddy who is an athletic trainer. Tape as well will probably be a good idea, or just finding a tight Under Armour shirt would also help.

Quote:

Old
02-27-2013, 11:13 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Gah, I'm an idiot.... just realized I've been breaking my diet the past few days.

Long story short, I correctly read a soup I've been having regularly as of late due to a bad cold as having 8 carbs.... but neglected to notice what I thought was only a single serving was actually 2.5 servings (i.e. 20 carbs).

Probably going to be my first no-weight loss week because of it....

Old
02-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

It happens. At least you caught your mistake and you can correct it from now on.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:54 AM
KISSland

Old
02-28-2013, 06:48 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
What do you mean whats up with dat der DAA?

Gonna Barry Bonds it up, son. And like I said BANANAS.

30 Day cycle complete.

In the 300 bench club. Leaned out. Gained 2 lbs.

Crazbrahs.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:57 AM
RayP

Thoughts on the Neuro Core?

Closed Thread