HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 02:13 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Back finally feeling a bit better. I guess having the flu couldn't have come at a better time, as it really made me rest of late. Haven't done anything since Tuesday, but probably still need another 2 days before I can maybe do some light activity. Might have on a stationary bike tomorrow morning just to get a little sweat in.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Haha, no worries. Obviously small serving sizes have always been a pet peeve of mine. Just a cheap way to make their food appear more healthy than it really is.
Tbh, from what you have described, it still seems pretty damn healthy.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Unaffiliated

Dude at my gym yesterday was deadlifting almost 3x bdwt (~520#)

i want that ability. my dl is ass, barely 2x (if even)

Old
03-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 114
Think I'll look up ab ripper on youtube, and see how good it is. I'm ready for my abs to hurt.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:38 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Weekly weigh in report....

Despite accidentally cheating on my diet a few days due to misreading serving sizes (seriously, 2.5 servings for a regular can of soup? Bull****!), still lost 3.2 lbs this week.

That makes me down 42.4 lbs since January 1st, so I'm at 179.6 from 222 to start the year.

Not bad, not bad.
When I started losing weight I was avoiding anything bad at all and felt completely guilty if I indulged in the smallest cheat food.

Then I went to a cottage for a couple of days in the summer and pretty much only ate crap (chips, burgers, hot dogs, beer) and when I weighed myself I saw that I didn't gain a pound. Same thing around Christmas when I ate like crap for about 4-5 days.

It was eye opening and I realized that there was no need to be as hardcore as I had been. It's unreal how your body and metabolism adapt when you keep working out. It's completely normal for you to worry about these things though, considering the amount of work you put in. It gets in your head that if you cheat, you will undue any progress you've made. But like Kitten says, you need a balance. You can't live the rest of your life avoiding things that are delicious, you will go mad. Enjoy yourself and keep up the great work.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:43 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Think I'll look up ab ripper on youtube, and see how good it is. I'm ready for my abs to hurt.
Do it.

Someone gave me these DVDs that bought them and gave up, and I normally don't do the workout DVD thing, and would never consider buying them myself... so they collected dust for a while. Was lazy and didn't want to go to the gym + needed some new ab workouts, so popped it in the DVD player. Holy hell, I was blown away how hard it works you, for only 15 minutes no less.

I had visible abs before I did it the first time, FWIW, and it still destroyed me. There were a few times the first time I did it that I paused it to catch my breath and drink some water.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Do it.

Someone gave me these DVDs that bought them and gave up, and I normally don't do the workout DVD thing, and would never consider buying them myself... so they collected dust for a while. Was lazy and didn't want to go to the gym + needed some new ab workouts, so popped it in the DVD player. Holy hell, I was blown away how hard it works you, for only 15 minutes no less.

I had visible abs before I did it the first time, FWIW, and it still destroyed me. There were a few times the first time I did it that I paused it to catch my breath and drink some water.
You're exciting me!

I miss my abs back when I worked out everyday for my sports team. I was in great shape. That was only a couple months ago, but since then my visible defined abs have faded a little. It's really depressing to see all your hard work go away.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:51 PM
RayP

Quote:
You're exciting me!

I miss my abs back when I worked out everyday for my sports team. I was in great shape. That was only a couple months ago, but since then my visible defined abs have faded a little. It's really depressing to see all your hard work go away.
Yeah, it was surprisingly awesome. I have added it to my routine, doing it twice a week in the morning before work, and then also add some of those workouts into my core day.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Yeah, it was surprisingly awesome. I have added it to my routine, doing it twice a week in the morning before work, and then also add some of those workouts into my core day.
that's awesome! Thanks for the heads up about this workout

Old
03-03-2013, 05:26 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf

Old
03-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Just finished ab ripper x. I love it. I'm already a little sore. Took one break to grab some water. Such variation too. Gonna do this 3 times a week.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:50 PM
RayP

Quote:
Just finished ab ripper x. I love it. I'm already a little sore. Took one break to grab some water. Such variation too. Gonna do this 3 times a week.
The name is very fitting.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:20 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I can't do HIIT + weight training for 3 days? Because 15-20 minutes is literally nothing. My lifting takes about 45 minutes to do with stretching at the end. Thats roughly an hour for 3 days and then have 1 day just devoted to my legs?
Lift however much as you want. HIIT is as stressful on the body as weight lifting, though in different ways, which is why I mentioned monitoring your rest. I assumed you were doing some sort of running HIIT, which you aren't. It's much easier to reach 100% effort on sprints than it is on the sorts of exercises you are doing, but it's personal choice. I did a similar routine when I played. The coaches loved seeing us suffer. But I vastly prefer the sprint/jog setup. It's also great if you've feared or hated running all your life. You will see a pretty dramatic increase in VO2max (breathing capacity/utilization).

Old
03-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Lift however much as you want. HIIT is as stressful on the body as weight lifting, though in different ways, which is why I mentioned monitoring your rest. I assumed you were doing some sort of running HIIT, which you aren't. It's much easier to reach 100% effort on sprints than it is on the sorts of exercises you are doing, but it's personal choice. I did a similar routine when I played. The coaches loved seeing us suffer. But I vastly prefer the sprint/jog setup. It's also great if you've feared or hated running all your life. You will see a pretty dramatic increase in VO2max (breathing capacity/utilization).
What type of intervals would you recommend?

Old
03-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
& how important are carbs before a workout ?
What exactly are you doing? Your body can store about 1000 calories of glycogen at a time; after you use that you are going to be consuming either fat (if you are at about 40-60% of anarobic threshold) or muscle tissue (at higher than that). Carbohydrates before/during a workout are needed to replenish those sources of energy if you are doing long high-volume aerobic endurance activities such as cycling, cross-country skiing, long-distance running, speed hiking etc. I can tell you from experience that I've had some long (12+ hour) days out backcountry ice climbing (combination of hiking, bushwacking, climbing, and suffering) where I was eating about 100 calories an hour (mostly in the form of fruit chews) and was still in a caloric deficit of several thousand calories. But as long as you replenish it a bit of a time your body probably won't go into full shutdown mode (a mistake I've made more than once where I didn't feel like eating and suffered the consequences of it at the end of the day).

Old
03-03-2013, 08:34 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
What type of intervals would you recommend?
The type I most often recommend is the sprint/jog setup. Find an appropriate area to do it in, first. Sprint any given length (you can adjust this to suit your style and space available) balls out 100% effort, then jog the distance back. I had a large soccer field a 100 yards from my house, so it was convenient to use the length of the field. Some people break it down to exact seconds, but I wasn't really feeling that, given the level of effort required. Do a 5 minute warmup and cooldown. An HIIT rep would be the 30-60 second flat out sprint. I'd do 5-10 reps, usually.

You can cram one of these workouts into a 15-20 minute window, whenever you have the time, and reap the benefits. It's just not fun the first few times you do it. It can be downright miserable at times. 100% effort means there's a bear chasing you and you'll die if you give an ounce less. The runners high afterwards can be worth it.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:36 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The type I most often recommend is the sprint/jog setup. Find an appropriate area to do it in, first. Sprint any given length (you can adjust this to suit your style and space available) balls out 100% effort, then jog the distance back. I had a large soccer field a 100 yards from my house, so it was convenient to use the length of the field. Some people break it down to exact seconds, but I wasn't really feeling that, given the level of effort required. Do a 5 minute warmup and cooldown. An HIIT rep would be the 30-60 second flat out sprint. I'd do 5-10 reps, usually.

You can cram one of these workouts into a 15-20 minute window, whenever you have the time, and reap the benefits. It's just not fun the first few times you do it. It can be downright miserable at times. 100% effort means there's a bear chasing you and you'll die if you give an ounce less. The runners high afterwards can be worth it.
I've done the same with a soccer field. Sprint across it, then jog around it. It is absolute hell if you really are sprinting. A hell that I love.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

HIIT really is one of my favorites.

I mainly do it on my street, sprint all the way down and jog back until heart rate has come down. Repeat about 8-10 times.

I love when neighbors look out their windows and see me running for my life, jogging back and doing it again. The endorphin release is quality as well.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:47 PM
RayP

Lynk, I'd be curious to know what your cardio sessions look like if you have a minute to share.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:51 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

My rest day, gonna hit the gym tomorrow morning before work

Old
03-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Lynk, I'd be curious to know what your cardio sessions look like if you have a minute to share.
Lately my days consist of lifting in the early morning, and doing Insanity at night. It uses the same principles, max interval training as hard as you can for 3 minutes and a 30 second rest.

I've gotten the best results this way and it's also one I'm not struggling to stay consistent with.

Before that I would usually do some form of HIIT whether it be running on the street, or when I had shin splints I would do hard sprints on the stationary bikes at the gym. I'd generally go as hard as possible for about 35-45 seconds then about a 1 minute slow pace for my heart rate to come back down. Then repeat about 8-10 times and by the end you should be completely drained.

HIIT really is the best for guys like us who want to maximize fat burn while minimizing muscle loss. Plus, if you can do a solid HIIT workout your body is going to be burning fat for the rest of the day.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Kitten Mittons

You HIIT junkies make me sick. You and your well developed heart and lungs.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:59 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Lately my days consist of lifting in the early morning, and doing Insanity at night. It uses the same principles, max interval training as hard as you can for 3 minutes and a 30 second rest.

I've gotten the best results this way and it's also one I'm not struggling to stay consistent with.

Before that I would usually do some form of HIIT whether it be running on the street, or when I had shin splints I would do hard sprints on the stationary bikes at the gym. I'd generally go as hard as possible for about 35-45 seconds then about a 1 minute slow pace for my heart rate to come back down. Then repeat about 8-10 times and by the end you should be completely drained.

HIIT really is the best for guys like us who want to maximize fat burn while minimizing muscle loss. Plus, if you can do a solid HIIT workout your body is going to be burning fat for the rest of the day.
I'll have to look into this Insanity thing if it's heavy into that.

I use to do something similar on the treadmill when I lived up north. Run at 12 mph for 60 seconds, jog for 90, repeat. It is so much more fun to do it outside in a field, though.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Yeah imo you really can't do 100% on a treadmill, if I'm in the gym and looking for HIIT then I'll be going to the stationary bikes (with the foot straps obviously).

When you're on a field or in the street you'll know when you're giving your all.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
I'll have to look into this Insanity thing if it's heavy into that.

I use to do something similar on the treadmill when I lived up north. Run at 12 mph for 60 seconds, jog for 90, repeat. It is so much more fun to do it outside in a field, though.
Insanity is awesome. Shaun T kicks your ass, but you feel great about it afterwards. The more you put into it the more you get out of it. I've noticed that each time I've done it.

Closed Thread