HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Idle No More/Theresa Spence

Old
01-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
I found it funny that yesterday her boyfriend/accountant told the media that she is too tired and weak to answer questions about the Deloitte audit and must save energy to "focus on her hunger strike".

So the questions arise:

1) How does eating nothing require focus?

2) If you don't have the energy to answer straightforward questions about your bookkeeping procedures, how could you possibly have the energy to gainfully partake in working meetings with the highest levels of government after a few more days of not eating solid foods?
Yeah, good point.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Spence now saying she won't show for the meeting on Friday is the GG isn't there. Boy, did this movement pick the wrong person to hitch it's wagon to.
Agreed. It's a shame too because an open discussion between the government and the First Nations could be huge for Canada. Spence and her insanity is only hurting any potential discussions.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:43 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Spence now saying she won't show for the meeting on Friday is the GG isn't there. Boy, did this movement pick the wrong person to hitch it's wagon to.
More that she hijacked the movement with her own followers and now dominates the discourse. Such a shame since Idle No More was showing more promise than OWS.

Andrew Coyne seems to be more accepting that this is an aboriginal leadership battle than to do with actual change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Yup, I'm going to call it here. I was completely wrong about this. People who thought I was wrong about Spence, you were right.
Took that long to figure it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
For jokes, has anyone else thought with this type of hypocrisy and dishonesty she might be sneaking food?
I remember reading a a lot of jokes when it was exposed that her hunger strike looked more like a diet.

Some are joking they can see her third chin now.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:41 AM
bombers15

Quote:
Ya, stuff like this makes me pretty disappointed in her.

The movement had some promise and she actually succeeded in getting Harper to the table. But now to not show up because the GG won't be there? I mean, come on. He doesn't hold any power anyway.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Full stop, she'll be there regardless of Mr. Johnston.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:57 AM
bombers15

Quote:
Full stop, she'll be there regardless of Mr. Johnston.
Okay, good.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:48 AM
JMiller

Amazing reading how much thinly veiled racism/sexism that follows this story.

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
JaysCyYoung

Not sure if serious or if you realized you just simultaneously played two cop-out cards.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Amazing reading how much thinly veiled racism/sexism that follows this story.
I do hate women, let's get rid of that veil!

Seriously?

How many sexists do you think there are on this board?

Old
01-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Free Kassian

Quote:
How many sexists do you think there are on this board?
Plenty. In both directions.

Free Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
In this thread? I suppose I'm confused how he spotted sexism in this thread, seems quite presumptuous.

How about instead of blanket insults, some specifics JMiller?

Old
01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Free Kassian

Quote:
In this thread? I suppose I'm confused how he spotted sexism in this thread, seems quite presumptuous.

How about instead of blanket insults, some specifics JMiller?
Not in this thread. The issue with Spence has more to do with her incompetence than her gender, I reckon.

Free Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:59 AM
bombers15

Now the news is saying again that she's not attending.

http://www.canada.com/Attawapiskat%2...023/story.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...y-meeting.html

Confusing. Can't say that I agree with her not going.

Old
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I think most posters indicated they did not know enough about this file to make definitive statements. You take a leap in faith sometimes because you feel for the underdog cause. I'm still going to try to give Spence some leeway or benefit of doubt, I don't think most people could withstand the negative PR barrage being waged against them. She might not be Gandhi but I'm betting she's not the disciple of Beelzebub either. There are new questions she will have to answer to, but I get the impression she is out of her league fighting with the big boys.
Please. She is "chief" of her band, which last year became exposed as a human disaster. Instead of taking any kind of responsibility, she blamed the government/Harper. Indians & Harper hating media rallied around her at first and bought her story of how none of it was her fault, but now evidence reports are coming out showing how her and her lover are infact, pretty much at the center of that disaster and responsible for most of the mismanagement that led to it. The "PR" phase is over, that was last year, we're in the factual discovery phase now, and Spence is taking a beating cuz the reports don't lie.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
The racism that has permeated the discourse about Spence and her community is that of low expectations, not misunderstanding and unjust standards.

If any typical municipal politician(s) ran things like Spence, et al., it would be front page news across Canada.

01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
copperandblue

I am not sure what is so confusing about Spence not attending Friday's meeting.

The moment she went from media darling to the media expecting her to answer the tough questions was the moment she started ducking the spotlight.

Not going to the meeting is almost a no brainer for someone who doesn't want to be put in the position of accountability, the challenge of course is justifying her way out of it so that it won't appear to be what it actually is.

I would think that the leaders that are attending the meeting have to be crossing their fingers that she doesn't show up. Any chance of a productive meeting would in part hinge on minimizing distractions.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Please. She is "chief" of her band, which last year became exposed as a human disaster. Instead of taking any kind of responsibility, she blamed the government/Harper. Indians & Harper hating media rallied around her at first and bought her story of how none of it was her fault, but now evidence reports are coming out showing how her and her lover are infact, pretty much at the center of that disaster and responsible for most of the mismanagement that led to it. The "PR" phase is over, that was last year, we're in the factual discovery phase now, and Spence is taking a beating cuz the reports don't lie.
One year ago CBC reporter Adrienne Arsenault exposed the mismanagement during an on-site report. The audit was simply a confirmation of previous problems.

Here is an article by Jonathon Kay setting out what the CBC reported at that time:
Jonathan Kay: Six lessons from a brilliant, scathing year-old CBC report on Attawapiskat’s mismanagement
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...mismanagement/

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
One year ago CBC reporter Adrienne Arsenault exposed the mismanagement during an on-site report. The audit was simply a confirmation of previous problems.

Here is an article by Jonathon Kay setting out what the CBC reported at that time:
Jonathan Kay: Six lessons from a brilliant, scathing year-old CBC report on Attawapiskat’s mismanagement
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...mismanagement/
Yeah i saw that article and posted it here...

Again the media I think was willing to let it go quietly a year ago cuz they'd rather be on the Indians' side but now Spence has basically doubled down with this new Ottawa campaign on aggressively deflecting all the issues with a highly charged emotional anti-govt campaign. Possibly in a desperate bid to retain her own position in the band which was coming under threat, possibly for AFN political reasons, perhaps prodded on by Atleo's opposition, who lost him in a contentious campaign last year but may be looking to uncut his more pragmatic style, or possibly Spence really believes she is some kind of Ghandi figure here and personally cooked up this whole thing? Either way, once the emotional buzz wore off, the questions about Attawakapit's mismanagement were gonna resurface.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:53 PM
v-man

Watching that video and seeing the empty houses sitting there while she declared a housing emergency just brings so many questions to my mind. How can a community with 70% unemployment and 20 people on the council payroll possibly not have the "man power" to distribute relief goods? She obviously seemed unprepared to have to answer for herself and must have been expecting everyone to take a look at the sorry state of the reserve and blame the government without second thought. Is she oblivious to the fact that the housing projects stalled because SHE started building them without getting approval? For someone who is *****ing about the government not respecting treaties and acts, she sure seems to think she doesn't have to abide by them either.

Last edited by v-man: 01-09-2013 at 01:00 PM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
Tough to say because I don't exactly have a hierarchical list prepared.

It's up there. But I just don't see it as the real cause of poverty. More of a symptom if anything.
Most of these reserves are ****holes because they serve no economic purpose. Kids are born in reserves, are raised by parents who don't have jobs and have almost no opportunities for gainful employment around them.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:32 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
Not sure if serious or if you realized you just simultaneously played two cop-out cards.
The real cop out is considering racism/sexism as only cards people play- helps avoid a whole lot.

As far as examples- comments about her being more emotional than rational, jokes about the hungerstike as a diet, and her weight/appearance strike me as having some roots in sexist presumptions. The race stuff is all overt the place.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Burke the Legend

It's fine to make light of someone's fatness.

Being unable to control your weight is reflective of some kind of serious character flaw.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:59 PM
JaysCyYoung

It has nothing to do with her sex.

It has to do with the fact that she's still considerably overweight almost one month into her supposed "hunger strike." Have you ever taken a look at how emaciated Bobby Sands and the other IRA hunger strikers appeared in the 1980s? They were nothing but skin and bones. All of their muscle and fatty tissue had completely deteriorated in the course of their strikes.

Spence still retains multiple chins. That has nothing to do with gender and your attempts to portray it as such are inappropriate and disingenuous.

As for your comments about purported racism on here: please point out examples. Quite frankly, the only racism I see right now is in the two-tiered policing that the Ontario Provincial Police and other local policing organizations are engaged in, even to the extent of ignoring official judicial orders: one set of laws and rules for First Nations people and one set for the rest of us.

That's racist.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:03 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
The real cop out is considering racism/sexism as only cards people play- helps avoid a whole lot.

As far as examples- comments about her being more emotional than rational, jokes about the hungerstike as a diet, and her weight/appearance strike me as having some roots in sexist presumptions. The race stuff is all overt the place.
On the other hand, the racism/sexism card is consistently overplayed by those (predominantly on the left) who run out of facts to back up their baseless objections. While there have no doubt been a few posts here and there in recent weeks on other boards fueled by racism, it is in a severe minority of cases and hardly at the forefront of the debate.

The ridicule of Chief Spence is not based on her race or gender, but on her increasingly ridiculous demands and actions. It may not be the most mature reaction, but it's no more farcical than what she's doing to harm supposedly important and dear, fundamental issues. The fact is she's not being rational, is on an altered diet as opposed to a true hunger strike and has not changed in appearance despite said liquid diet. It's neither sexist nor racist to point that out, it's just ridiculing someone who deserves to be ridiculed.

Last edited by v-man: 01-09-2013 at 04:41 PM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:13 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
It's fine to make light of someone's fatness.

Being unable to control your weight is reflective of some kind of serious character flaw.
Especially with women