HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 26 • Slovakia 2, Russia 3 (OT)

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Well, that's it. Good job, Russians. Still surprised it was as close as it was.
Why are you surprised? I know Ray Ferraro set himself up a story line by implying that the Russians were going to disembowel the Slovaks before the opening whistle, but what does Ferraro know about the Slovaks? The Slovaks have typically been tough and competitive in the WJC, and this year is no exception. The US and Canada better be careful with them.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:01 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Surprised so many were shocked? After the Russia Vs USA and Canada matches I will make my assessment on where this team stands.
I'm not surprised and actually quite pleased with the result. The game showed several ussues that Varnakov has to fix before the playoffs. Another point is that our guys often underestimate the opponents. And I really hope that some of the Russian fans start thinking respectfully about the oposing teams before opening their mouth.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:04 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Why are you surprised? I know Ray Ferraro set himself up a story line by implying that the Russians were going to disembowel the Slovaks before the opening whistle, but what does Ferraro know about the Slovaks? The Slovaks have typically been tough and competitive in the WJC, and this year is no exception. The US and Canada better be careful with them.
Lol.

Canada will crush them.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjbluejackets61 View Post
was this supposed to be a blowout?
According to who? Ray Ferraro? What does he know about Slovakian hockey players?

Old
12-26-2012, 12:08 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Lol.

Canada will crush them.
The same way the crushed them in 2010 Vancouver? Gosh. Some people never learn.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Which part was stupid? The guy trying to hit a guy without the puck or the guy protecting himself with his stick?
That's true. If you watch the replay, it was clear cut interference by the Slovak player. At the same time, he dipped his head and got hit by Shalunov, who was holding his stick just above waist-high. He bled a little for the team on that one!

Old
12-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
That has to do with this how?

The mighty Russian Bear took a big dump in the woods today. They were lucky to win the game. Horrible opening performance and much, much more was expected of them from this game.

Unless of course you thought they would only score 2 goals in regulation?

Old
12-26-2012, 12:15 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
That's true. If you watch the replay, it was clear cut interference by the Slovak player. At the same time, he dipped his head and got hit by Shalunov, who was holding his stick just above waist-high. He bled a little for the team on that one!
The guy hit the stick, which was being held normally, with his face, drawing a penalty.

Is that what you are trying to say here?

Old
12-26-2012, 12:16 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
ugh, RIP Demo. He was an absolute tank in the 2010 olympics. Incredible to watch a player play like that. Best player of the tournament AINEC.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:18 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
ugh, RIP Demo. He was an absolute tank in the 2010 olympics. Incredible to watch a player play like that. Best player of the tournament AINEC.
Toews was. And he won an award for it

Old
12-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
That has to do with this how?

The mighty Russian Bear took a big dump in the woods today. They were lucky to win the game. Horrible opening performance and much, much more was expected of them from this game.

Unless of course you thought they would only score 2 goals in regulation?
I thought they wouldn't score much. But that's because unlike many here, I realize what this coaching staff is trying to do. Defense first, counter hockey. And that is how the goals came today.

And the truth is they had enough scoring chances to blow the game open, but didn't convert. Obviously nerves got in the way.

I wouldn't call it Horrible performance, just a normal way for Russia to ease into the tournament with a couple of screw ups here and there.

What's unusual is that this team, defensively is harder to breakdown than a lot of previous U20 iterations. I think 2001 is the last time we had such a strong defensively minded team.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:22 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Toews was. And he won an award for it
Only because he was on the winning team. Demo was playing on another planet.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:25 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I thought they wouldn't score much. But that's because unlike many here, I realize what this coaching staff is trying to do. Defense first, counter hockey. And that is how the goals came today.

And the truth is they had enough scoring chances to blow the game open, but didn't convert. Obviously nerves got in the way.

I wouldn't call it Horrible performance, just a normal way for Russia to ease into the tournament with a couple of screw ups here and there.

What's unusual is that this team, defensively is harder to breakdown than a lot of previous U20 iterations. I think 2001 is the last time we had such a strong defensively minded team.
Or perhaps, the Russian team is not as great as the Russian fans would lead us to believe.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:27 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

Their defensive coverage was a joke. If it werent for Vasilevski they would have lost the game. Period.

They gave up 34 SOG. Against Slovakia. Defensemen were routinely losing puck battles down low. If that was a strong defensive minded team, I would shudder to think what a weak one is.

The strength of the Russian team is firepower. Plain and simple. With some great goaltending thrown in for good measure.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Russia looked really bad going forward and shaky in defence. They'll be killed by stronger teams.

Very strong showing from Slovakia, they'll be fine but be in the bottom with Latvia, Germany and Switerzland.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:34 PM
CSKA

i dont get it , all this canadien fans complaining about our team. Just wait until we play against the US and mighty canada and than we see what this russian team is all about !!!!

Some of you canadiens are really fu.....annoying

Old
12-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Their defensive coverage was a joke. If it werent for Vasilevski they would have lost the game. Period.

They gave up 34 SOG. Against Slovakia. Defensemen were routinely losing puck battles down low. If that was a strong defensive minded team, I would shudder to think what a weak one is.

The strength of the Russian team is firepower. Plain and simple. With some great goaltending thrown in for good measure.
The 34 SOG from Slovakia were a joke, not the defense. Shots were weak, from the outside, no traffic and no rebounds. Defense lost a few puck battles, but no one wins a 100%. Nothing like Russia created on the other end.

Until approx. mid 2nd period Slovakia had like 0 proper scoring chances.

Strength is firepower, but the coaching accent is on team defense. And this is a vastly different style than previous years under Bragin. Anyone who knows Varnakov and the coaching staff will tell you that.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:35 PM
laleli

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA View Post
i dont get it , all this canadien fans complaining about our team. Just wait until we play against the US and mighty canada and than we see what this russian team is all about !!!!

Old
12-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Russia looked really bad going forward and shaky in defence. They'll be killed by stronger teams.

Very strong showing from Slovakia, they'll be fine but be in the bottom with Latvia, Germany and Switerzland.
We'll see.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Or perhaps, the Russian team is not as great as the Russian fans would lead us to believe.
lol I haven't seen anyone leading you to believe that. Great or not great, I don't think other teams are writing off this Russian team as an easy pass game in the next few days.

But hey, if we're underdogs - who gives a ****?

Old
12-26-2012, 12:39 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
I don't understand why people are basing their judgement on a team based on one game. Recently, Russia has struggled against weaker teams in this tournament. They start slow but finish strong.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:42 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
I don't understand why people are basing their judgement on a team based on one game. Recently, Russia has struggled against weaker teams in this tournament. They start slow but finish strong.
I dont see too many people saying otherwise. But the fact of the matter is that they DID stink it up today. Bad.

It is amusing watching the spin though.

They barely hung on to win in OT. Slovakia had all the momentum at the end and Vasilevski saved their butts, and kept them in the game and gave them an opportunity to win.

Winning or losing this game wouldnt matter much in the grand scheme of things. The important games are next week.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:43 PM
40oz

Quote:

Canadian hockey fans have high expectations for not only our team but for our opponents. We saw what this Russian team is capable of in the super series in Halifax and Yaroslavl this summer and in the subway series this fall.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:47 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
I dont see too many people saying otherwise. But the fact of the matter is that they DID stink it up today. Bad.

It is amusing watching the spin though.

They barely hung on to win in OT. Slovakia had all the momentum at the end and Vasilevski saved their butts, and kept them in the game and gave them an opportunity to win.

Winning or losing this game wouldnt matter much in the grand scheme of things. The important games are next week.
The spin is justified. This is a typical Russian start.

Russia didn't play good today. I doubt they play like that against the USA or Canada. We will see though.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:48 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

if russia doesn't make it from the group stage to the medal rounds i'm going to laugh so hard

Closed Thread