HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Why do people buy a smartphone without a data plan?

Old
12-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

vCash: 500
Has anyone answered the question with the obvious, they buy it to fit in, but are to cheap for the rest/don't have a need for the rest? Got an Iphone 4S just today on a family plan so it has shared internet usage, so If I don't need to use it off of a Wifi spot I won't but if it's quick/neccessary its available for me.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:28 AM
luongoisdaman

I have a smartphone without data. Pay $10/month for it for 2.5K outgoing, and unlimited incoming texts.

I ain't even mad.

luongoisdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Finnish your Czech
BestPosterAvailable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Puck Mafia View Post
$29 for 12 months is $348.

lolirl
My plan is more than just data.

lirl

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:41 AM
TheAngryHank
Expert

vCash: 519
In the mountain small city I live in I don't get 4G or even 3G so I rely on wifi which is ok seeing how I know lot's of people and have PWs for just about every business in town ,including work and home.My phone jumps from one to the next w/o a fuss and I am always connected. I can go months w/o using data.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:42 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

My cousin dooes this... I dont get it...

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Because a smartphone is for more than accessing e-mail?
any internet usage, whether it be streaming, or emails, or just posting on hfboards is going to require a data plan.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 02:11 AM
bossy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nn View Post
Jesus you guys have expensive plans... I pay 19 euros a month for unlimited data, 600 minutes, and 1000 texts
Are mobile service providers regulated nationally or do they operate in many countries throughout Europe? Just curious if large companies control the service in the EU so they can draw on the whole population in Europe for their market.

In Canada its 3 major national providers (TELUS, Bell & Rogers) with a few small zone providers. Large US carriers like ATT & Verizon are not permitted to operate in Canada as its regulated by the Federal Govt and not included in the US/Canada free trade agreement.

Canada is almost 10,000,000 sq km but has 1/10th the population of the US. So large land mass means extensive network to build & maintain with minimal poputlation to pay the cost.

'Do you know Canada has some of the highest mobile phone servie prices in the world?' is a common cry from many people in Canada based on half ass media reports. Its economics 101 but people tend to spew garbage & complain about cost of service in other countries then focus on their options in the marketplace. Options are governement regulated but it is a competive market. I understand people being tough consumers but have a valid point rather than make sweeping statements that have no merit.

It's like complaining about the cost of oranges in Edmonton compared to what you'd to pay if you lived in Florida.

End of rant.

Last edited by bossy22: 12-26-2012 at 02:17 AM.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:31 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

If you are in the same club as buddahsmokah, you know you are doin it wrong in life.

It seriously makes no sense to buy a piece of technology, that basically relies on a service and then not buy service for it. You may say, "EVERYWHERE I GO HAS WIFI"...except when you travel...do you know every hot spot in your traveling city? I mean, if you are going to blow your wad of cash on a piece of technology and only occasionally use it, get a tablet. At least those things are designed to be useless without a service.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:32 AM
tobo

My plan:
€15/month for unlimited text messages, unlimited phone calls to same provider, 2 GB data/month (3G network thank god).

Very happy with this.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Finnish your Czech
BestPosterAvailable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Are mobile service providers regulated nationally or do they operate in many countries throughout Europe? Just curious if large companies control the service in the EU so they can draw on the whole population in Europe for their market.

In Canada its 3 major national providers (TELUS, Bell & Rogers) with a few small zone providers. Large US carriers like ATT & Verizon are not permitted to operate in Canada as its regulated by the Federal Govt and not included in the US/Canada free trade agreement.

Canada is almost 10,000,000 sq km but has 1/10th the population of the US. So large land mass means extensive network to build & maintain with minimal poputlation to pay the cost.

'Do you know Canada has some of the highest mobile phone servie prices in the world?' is a common cry from many people in Canada based on half ass media reports. Its economics 101 but people tend to spew garbage & complain about cost of service in other countries then focus on their options in the marketplace. Options are governement regulated but it is a competive market. I understand people being tough consumers but have a valid point rather than make sweeping statements that have no merit.

It's like complaining about the cost of oranges in Edmonton compared to what you'd to pay if you lived in Florida.

End of rant.
And then another way to show that you are right is to look at carriers like Wind and Mobilicity. Their plans are dirt cheap relative to the big 3, but they are only available in the big population centers in Canada. If they were nationwide, then they wouldn't be able to have those ridiculously cheap plans.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:59 AM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
If you are in the same club as buddahsmokah, you know you are doin it wrong in life.

It seriously makes no sense to buy a piece of technology, that basically relies on a service and then not buy service for it. You may say, "EVERYWHERE I GO HAS WIFI"...except when you travel...do you know every hot spot in your traveling city? I mean, if you are going to blow your wad of cash on a piece of technology and only occasionally use it, get a tablet. At least those things are designed to be useless without a service.
I don't even use ANY internet on my smart phone.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:13 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongoisdaman View Post
I have a smartphone without data. Pay $10/month for it for 2.5K outgoing, and unlimited incoming texts.

I ain't even mad.
Yup, that's what I do. I can get unlimited data for $10/month too, but with the number of times I'd actually use it when I don't have access to Wifi, I'd be paying $5 to $10 bucks per use, which isn't very economical. I'd rather have money for a few more beers and not bother.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:55 PM
StringerBell

Quote:

Yeah! If you're not paying $20+ per month to check your email whenever you travel out of the city there is something seriously wrong with you. I know it's just impossible for me to relax without my email whenever I take a vacation.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Maybe they're burners.

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 02:13 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Yeah! If you're not paying $20+ per month to check your email whenever you travel out of the city there is something seriously wrong with you. I know it's just impossible for me to relax without my email whenever I take a vacation.
Sorry, I did not know that $20 was really an incredible sum of money. If it is such an incredible sum of money, I'd hope you would have saved some money when buying your cell phone in the first place and...not gotten a smartphone.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:30 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Sorry, I did not know that $20 was really an incredible sum of money. If it is such an incredible sum of money, I'd hope you would have saved some money when buying your cell phone in the first place and...not gotten a smartphone.
I bought an unlocked smartphone for $200, it was hardly anything significantly expensive.

I prefer not having $50+ phone bills every month.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:31 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
You can get pretty decent smartphones for less than $200 now without signing a contract. For a multi-purpose phone, camera and MP3 player that's a pretty good deal. Spending the extra $250/year on convenient email access just isn't a prudent investment for people who don't need to constantly check it.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:38 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
You can get pretty decent smartphones for less than $200 now without signing a contract. For a multi-purpose phone, camera and MP3 player that's a pretty good deal. Spending the extra $250/year on convenient email access just isn't a prudent investment for people who don't need to constantly check it.
I take it you don't travel much or do you navigate via printed out papers or maps?

Old
12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
I take it you don't travel much or do you navigate via printed out papers or maps?
I probably travel more than you do.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:01 PM
BonMorrison
Always on fleek.

Threads like this make me wonder a) how old everyone is and b) how they possibly lived without smart phones years ago.

Lord almighty. Judging by some of the posts in here, you would swear that people need their smart phone to hold their hand and do everything for them.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:07 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Travelling without a smartphone really isn't hard if you take the 5 minutes to prepare beforehand. If you really need Google Maps on hand at all times then you probably shouldn't be allowed to leave the house unsupervised anyways.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:08 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Threads like this make me wonder a) how old everyone is and b) how they possibly lived without smart phones years ago.

Lord almighty. Judging by some of the posts in here, you would swear that people need their smart phone to hold their hand and do everything for them.
I wonder about "a" too.

$20 a month is not a lot of money for anyone who even has a...slightly above minimum wage level job.

It's not often you have a puckgenius thread that has a bunch of replies in it that are...below puckgenius quality, but he nailed this one. If you are going to use your phone to...be a phone...you don't need a smartphone. Going out of your way to buy a smartphone to not use it to it's..."smart" potential is...dumb.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:11 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Travelling without a smartphone really isn't hard if you take the 5 minutes to prepare beforehand. If you really need Google Maps on hand at all times then you probably shouldn't be allowed to leave the house unsupervised anyways.
I'm glad your printed maps always advise you of a detour and how to properly navigate around it. I guess paper technology has come a long way since I remember using it.

Unless of course you are a Christopher Columbus of large cities, naturally able to navigate at will, which...is simply impressive.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:12 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
I wonder about "a" too.

$20 a month is not a lot of money for anyone who even has a...slightly above minimum wage level job.

It's not often you have a puckgenius thread that has a bunch of replies in it that are...below puckgenius quality, but he nailed this one. If you are going to use your phone to...be a phone...you don't need a smartphone. Going out of your way to buy a smartphone to not use it to it's..."smart" potential is...dumb.
Going 'out of your way to buy a smartphone.'

WTF does that even mean?

Why the hell would I want a ****** flip phone?

Old
12-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post

Back in my day we used rotary phones

That's the thing about those days...They the old days

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote